Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Squats looked pretty solid dude.... well done!! Your form on everything's getting to be really good.

I spent ages looking at the squat vid because something was bugging me and I couldn't figure out what it was.... I THINK it's when you get above parallel you sorta force your knees forward (and your shin angle changes) so you can complete the rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

nice squats , guy in the orange t-shirt was staring at ya :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Saturday April 25th:

Hang Clean
    20kg - 2x5
    30kg - 2x5
    40kg - 2x5
    50kg - 2x5
    60kg - 1x2 ... I suppose that is a pb. Ugly reps though
    60kg - 1x1
    ---
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    70kg - 3x8
    ---
    Military Press ... Hang Clean each set to start
    40kg - 1x12
    40kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x5 ... was aiming for 8. Half rep on 6th before dying
    ---
    Chin Ups / Pull Ups
    50 reps as follows:
    • 6x5 ... chins
    • 4x5 ... neutral grip pull ups

Calf Raise
    BW - 10x10 ... recovery time for chins/pull ups

Pull Through
    5kg - 1x10
    10kg - 1x10
    12.5kg - 1x10
    15kg - 1x10
    17.5kg - 1x10
    20kg - 1x10 ... some lower back pump after all of these
    ---

Hang Cleans are getting better. Must video them in the coming weeks. 60kg wasn't great though. Too many people milling around. Managing to hop off the ground, get elbows up and bar racked ok.

Should have put 50kg on the bar for the Military Press instead of 40kg.

Increased the Stiff Leg Deads by 10kg. Feel fine. I like this exercise. Will add another 10kg next week. Hoping this will help my squat and deadlift.

I was knackered after the first 3 sets of Chins and was going to give up aiming for 50 reps. Supersetted in Pull Through and Calf Raise for extra recovery time. Made it to 50 which I was pleased with.

I'm feeling chubby :o :mad: :( :eek: :P :D :pac: Going to include intervals or skipping and tidy up diet a bit. It is not particularly bad but I've been less strict than usual in the past months. 78kg this morning. Don't want this extra cardio to adversely affect my squat/bench/deadlift though.... so carefully, carefully :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hanley wrote: »
    Squats looked pretty solid dude.... well done!! Your form on everything's getting to be really good.

Thanks man. You taught me well over the past 18 months or so!
    Hanley wrote: »
    I spent ages looking at the squat vid because something was bugging me and I couldn't figure out what it was.... I THINK it's when you get above parallel you sorta force your knees forward (and your shin angle changes) so you can complete the rep.

Looking back at the vid I see what you mean. I'll try to avoid this dunking forward next time. Good spot.
    nice squats , guy in the orange t-shirt was staring at ya :D

All that guy ever does is dumbbell shoulder press!

If you look carefully in the background around 1:22 of that squat vid you can see the two fellows who I mentioned in the "spotting the leg press" thread recently. Here they are helping each other with their curls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Chubby, wtf???? lol at the very idea, I could show you what chubby means. Good work on the sldl, they're a great exercise imo. Just a thought though, might be handy to film them as well when you film the power cleans or whatever else next time, just to make sure the form is bang on. Nice work all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

BossArky wrote: »

If you look carefully in the background around 1:22 of that squat vid you can see the two fellows who I mentioned in the "spotting the leg press" thread recently. Here they are helping each other with their curls.

aha, i see them :D their form on curls is atrocious too! , it looks like some half powerclean hybrid...

Saturday April 25th (afternoon):

Walk 5.6km ... fat busters!
    ---
    Chubby, wtf???? lol at the very idea

Haha. I want to get the most strength with the least bodyweight. I think there is a kg or two of dead weight which I can get rid of!

Just realised that I was doing Hang Cleans this morning, not Power Cleans. Edited the previous post.

Tuesday April 28th: 6:30am - 7:20am

Pull Through
    6.25 kg - 1x10
    11.25 kg - 1x10 ... then rushed to get last barbell for deadlifts as place was filling up quickly. Would have liked to do more of these
    ---
    Glute Activation - Clams
    3x10 per leg ... also did 3x10 at home last night and got a great "dead" feeling from the glutes. Didn't get such a feeling this morning probably as supersetted with deadlifts and already did pull throughs. Felt good nonetheless

Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    125kg - 5x3 ... pb

Shoulder Press
    22kg per arm - 5x5

Ab Crunch
    5x15
    ---
    Shrugs
    20kg plate per arm - 2x10 ... no time for 3rd set

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10 ... no time for 3rd set @40kg
    ---

125kg 5x3 is most I've done for sets/reps at that weight. Knew I was not going to get 5x5 in middle of first set so settled for 5x3. Felt heavy. Today was 4th week of 8 so will reset now and start next 4 weeks.

Bodyweight 77.75kg this morning. Only had one lunch yesterday :P Usually I would have my pre-packaged plastic box lunch brought to work from home, plus a second lunch in the canteen. I was absolutely starving by the time I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Well done on the new PB on Deadlift Bossarky. I'm in about the same range as yourself. The 5x5 sets are next to impossible when you start pilling on the weight. Well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I'm feeling chubby
    Only had one lunch yesterday

LOL I see the diet has started already!

Some big numbers here man, whats your max for squats? I was planning on going 100Kg x 10 x 3 sets Thurs, but I think the number of reps are killing me and I'd probably benefit more from less reps and another set...
    Just wondering is this why you moved to a 5 x 5 routine?

• Advertisement

Baldie wrote: »
    Well done on the new PB on Deadlift

Thanks Baldie. Yes, we are around the same which is interesting.
    LOL I see the diet has started already!

:D
    whats your max for squats?

Currently 110kg - 1x2, 105kg - 1x5, or 102.5kg - 5x5. I'm aiming for 120kg - 1x1 by year end. Think it should be manageable enough in the coming months

Once I finish this 8 week 5x5 program I may focus more on squat & good morning as opposed to squat & deadlift in the hope that a bigger squat will improve my deadlift anyway. Currently I find tiredness/soreness from deadlift on Tuesday morning carries over to squat on Thursday morning.
    I was planning on going 100Kg x 10 x 3 sets Thurs, but I think the number of reps are killing me and I'd probably benefit more from less reps and another set...
    Just wondering is this why you moved to a 5 x 5 routine?

Yes I moved to 5x5 to ensure I was getting volume of reps in. As Baldie said it's a nightmare once it starts getting heavy and takes ages!

If you can manage 100kg for 3 sets of 10 then maybe you should go heavier if you want to move to a 5x5.

Wednesday April 29th: at home

Glute Activiation - Clams
    2x10 per leg

Dumbbell Curls
    10kg per arm - 2x10

Press Ups
    1x40
    ---

Some quick stuff at home this morning. Will do something similar each non gym day for the next while.

Was thinking about my diet yesterday and will note it down here every so often.

6am: Oats, water, 1 scoop whey, half banana
    7:45am: Water, 2 scoops whey, 1 boiled egg
    10:15am: 2 boiled eggs, few almonds
    11:30am: about 1/3 of my lunch box: tuna, tomato, sweetcorn
    12:00pm: mince, potato wedges, salad plus extra portion of tuna
    1:30pm: almonds
    2:00pm: small satsuma
    3:30pm: almonds
    4:45pm: about 1/3 of my lunch box: tuna, tomato, sweetcorn
    7:15pm: 1 boiled egg, 1 avocado
    8:00pm: garlic bean cakes, spinach, chicken
    9:00pm: about 10 strawberries
    9:45pm: bed

Drank about 2.5 litres of water and had 3 green teas, no coffee.

So, as you can see I had a second lunch again yesterday because I was starving after the deadlift. No lattes in the morning at the train station and no yoghurt's with lunch are my plan going forwards. These were the major things I was slipping up on recently. The rest is fine-ish.

I don't actually think I'm chubby by the way... just don't want to putting mud into a Ferrari :rolleyes::pac:

Thursday April 30th: 6:30am - 7:20am

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    65kg - 1x5
    105kg - 1x1 ... failed on 2nd rep. This was supposed to be 5x5!
    105kg - 1x0 ... fail again. Totally knackered. I blame Tuesdays deadlift. Last week 100kg 5x5 was fine
    65kg - 1x20 ... 20 rep pb. Felt fine. Can go heavier
    65kg - 4x10 ... wrecked after this volume following the 20 reps

Lunges
    BW - 3x8 pre leg

Ab Crunch
    3 or 4 x15
    ---
    Military Press
    20kg - 1x10
    25kg - 1x5
    35kg - 1x5
    45kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x0 ... strict, fail
    55kg - 1x0 ... push press, fail
    20kg - 1x20
    ---

Should have stayed in bed! Wrecked after squat volume. Want to curl up under desk and sleep.

Currently 110kg - 1x2,

Arrrgh, I got 110Kg x 1x2 last night, I thought I'd outdone you there :pac: Doesn't look like I'll be squatting too much in the future either as I'm back to MMA Monday.

Arrrgh, I got 110Kg x 1x2 last night, I thought I'd outdone you there :pac: Doesn't look like I'll be squatting too much in the future either as I'm back to MMA Monday.

Your log says 110kg x10?

The heat is on! :pac:

<_<

>_>

No it doesn't!

Saturday May 2nd:

Squat
    50kg - 1x12 ... warm up whilst waiting for bench
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 5x3 ... personal best
    ---
    Hang Clean
    20kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x1
    ---
    Pull Ups / Chins
    85 reps as follows:
    • 10x5 ... palms away i.e. pull ups
    • 7x5 ... palms to face i.e. chins

Pull Through
    10kg - 5x10 ... light filler during pull ups / chins

Ab Pull Down
    31.25kg - 4x10 ... light filler during pull ups / chins

Face Pulls
    11.25kg - 3x8 ... light filler during pull ups / chins

External Rotation
    1.25kg per arm- 3x10 ... light filler during pull ups / chins
    ---

Had to leave the gym after the 85th rep. Someone dialed 911 as I was on fire :cool:

Sunday May 3rd:

Walk 5.6km

Stop A: Skipping

Stop B: Skipping

Stop C: Warm up jog, then 3 rounds of the following:
    • Sprints 400m (100m slow, 100m fast, 100 slow, 100m fast): 1:46, 1:32, 1:35
    • Push Ups x10
    • Bodyweight Squats x10
    • Sit Ups x10
    • Donkey Calf Raise with 50kg

The sprints were done over two football pitches length on length. For the purposes of my log I'm going to assume the length of one pitch is 100m and the width is 65m. Google reckons the same.

First sprint works out as 13.5 kmph for 400m
    Second --> 15.6 kmph
    Third --> 15kmph

Going forwards my initial aim is to beat 90 secs for 400m which equates to 16kmph.

There is room for error in the figures above due to not knowing exactly how long the football pitches are. I did have to turn around between the 2 lengths up and 2 back down, plus there is about 3 metres between the goal on one pitch to the goal on the other.

Nice to be out in the sun & it was good fun.

Lots of upper body DOMS from yesterday: biceps / triceps / pecs and lats are in bits.

Monday May 4th:

Walk 5.6km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Saturday May 2nd:

Squat
    50kg - 1x12 ... warm up whilst waiting for bench
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 5x3 ... personal best
    ---
    Hang Clean
    20kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x1
    ---
    Pull Ups / Chins
    85 reps as follows:
    • 10x5 ... palms away i.e. pull ups
    • 7x5 ... palms to face i.e. chins

Pull Through
    10kg - 5x10 ... light filler during pull ups / chins

Ab Pull Down
    31.25kg - 4x10 ... light filler during pull ups / chins

Face Pulls
    11.25kg - 3x8 ... light filler during pull ups / chins

External Rotation
    1.25kg per arm- 3x10 ... light filler during pull ups / chins
    ---

Had to leave the gym after the 85th rep. Someone dialed 911 as I was on fire :cool:

Jesus what a session!

• Advertisement

Tuesday May 5th: 6:30am - 7:15am

Hang Clean
    20kg - 1x10 ... warm up for deadlift
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    115kg - 3x5 ... 15 secs between reps, tired. Didn't bother going for 4th & 5th sets
    100kg - 2x5 ... touch & go, double overhand

Shoulder Press
    22kg per arm - 3x5

Glute Activation - Clams
    3x5 per leg
    ---
    Shrugs
    20kg plate per arm - 3x8

Calf Raise
    20kg plate per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Run 1km (5:00, 90 cals) ... intervals
    300m @ 10kmph
    100m @ 16kmph
    200m @ 10kmph
    100m @ 16kmph
    100m @ 10kmph
    200m @ 16kmph
    ---

Today is the 5th week of 5x5. Reset weights to same as used in week 2. Felt heavy, so decided I'm going to use this week as a 3x5 to recover a bit.

Feeling pretty tired and want to save energy for the heavier stuff in weeks 6, 7 and 8. I'm probably going to have to have a week off between weeks 7 and 8 as I have an exam on the scheduled week 8.

kevpants wrote: »
    Jesus what a session!

I was trying to figure out what the optimal reps are for a set for pull ups/chins which would allow me to keep going up to 100 or so.

5 reps per set was alright. Kinda rushed the break between the last sets & ended up struggling on the 85th rep. Called it quits & will leave 100 for another day.

Thursday May 7th: 6:30am - 7:20am

Squat
    20kg - 1x10
    45kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x5 ... shouldn't have bothered with this set
    95kg - 2x5
    95kg - 1x0 :eek: ... fail

Inverted Shurg
    5kg plate per arm - 1x10
    5kg plate per arm - 1x15
    10kg plate per arm - 1x20

Lateral Raise
    5kg plate per arm - 1x10 ... first time doing these in yonks
    5kg plate per arm - 1x15
    5kg plate per arm - 1x10
    ---
    Military Press
    20kg - 1x10
    35kg - 1x5
    45kg - 1x3
    55kg - 1x4 ... got progressively more push pressy as the reps went on
    ---
    Run 3km (14:47, ~260 cals) ... intervals
    300m @11kmph
    200m @15kmph
    300m @11kmph
    200m @15kmph

300m @11kmph
    200m @15kmph
    300m @11kmph
    200m @15kmph

300m @8kmph ... bit tired so slowed
    200m @15kmph
    300m @8kmph
    200m @15kmph, increasing to 17.5kmph
    ---

Bodyweight 77kg this morning so it looks like a combination of salad, running, lack of second lunch, and no morning lattes are doing the weight loss trick. I ran out of whey recently so that is approx 200cals off my daily intake too.

So, no wonder the squat failed this morning. Major calorie deficit at the moment. Will keep it up for a few more days and then be back to normal next week.

In other news, I'm going to try and break the world record for most Ferro Rocher eaten in a minute tomorrow. Apparently the record currently stands at 7 (see the tv show "Britain's got Talent").

If I do it I'll post the video here. I'll probably post the video anyway as no doubt it will be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭accensi0n

http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/_Most-Ferrero-Rocher-chocolates-eaten-in-one-minute/VIDEO/210718/7691.html

From this vid, looks like you have to finish each one before you can start another and you have to unwrap each one as you go.

Were those the rules on Britains got Talent?

accensi0n wrote: »
    http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/_Most-Ferrero-Rocher-chocolates-eaten-in-one-minute/VIDEO/210718/7691.html

From this vid, looks like you have to finish each one before you can start another and you have to unwrap each one as you go.

Were those the rules on Britains got Talent?

Thanks for the link accensi0n. I found a few vids on youtube but not this one.

I will be going by the guinessworldrecords rules. Just got the idea after hearing someone talk about the Britain's got Talent attempts :D I have not seen it done on BgT before so unsure exactly what "rules" they were going by!

Have you had a deload lately?

I had about a month of messing about prior to this 5th of 8 weeks that I'm currently ploughing through.

5x5 never again. Too much volume on deadlift & squat. It has me in bits.

I'm planning on following some structured and proven program from mid June onwards i.e. after hols.

If you have any suggestions let me know. I was thinking Westside but there seems to be umpteen different versions and I'm not sure which one to go for.

I was just curious whether a lack of deloading might have contributed to the squat fail, afaik you've done a lot heavier before. I don't know if I'd recommend it but 20 squats seems to have helped me a lot the last while, think its had some effect on my conditioning but since you're a lot fitter than me you might not see as much benefit there. You could just do like I intend to and get on the 5/3/1 bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

If you have any suggestions let me know. I was thinking Westside but there seems to be umpteen different versions and I'm not sure which one to go for.

Let me know if you need help deciphering Westside. I waded through so much crap trying to figure it all out I may as well pass on what I learned.

I think Westside is deadly. I'd recommend doing Westside before 5/3/1. Westside will eventually get to be too much and I find 5/3/1 took over nicely where it left off.

This is since you're injury free. You need to be in the whole of your health for Westside!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

I had about a month of messing about prior to this 5th of 8 weeks that I'm currently ploughing through.

5x5 never again. Too much volume on deadlift & squat. It has me in bits.

I'm planning on following some structured and proven program from mid June onwards i.e. after hols.

podge did a different type of 5x5 (bill Star i think). instead of 5 straight sets you ramp the weight up to a last of 5, he had a calculator for it too, but if your sick of 5x5 maybe is not what your looking for.

Advertisement