Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

bigstar wrote: »
    podge did a different type of 5x5 (bill Star i think). instead of 5 straight sets you ramp the weight up to a last of 5, he had a calculator for it too, but if your sick of 5x5 maybe is not what your looking for.

I'll look into that in the coming weeks. I will probably try something else first but no harm in reading up on it.
    kevpants wrote: »
    Let me know if you need help deciphering Westside. I waded through so much crap trying to figure it all out I may as well pass on what I learned.

Sounds good! Do you have a link or one pager which describes where to start and how to work out lifts and %'s, etc?
    I was just curious whether a lack of deloading might have contributed to the squat fail, afaik you've done a lot heavier before. I don't know if I'd recommend it but 20 squats seems to have helped me a lot the last while

That 5/3/1 bandwagon is full to the rockers. I'll wait and see how you lot get on first!

Yeah the squat failed as I'm knackered and not eating enough the past few days (on purpose).

I like 20 reps actually. I will include a few to get past bodyweight. Currently only tried 60 and 65kg.

Thanks for the input, all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

BossArky wrote: »
    In other news, I'm going to try and break the world record for most Ferro Rocher eaten in a minute tomorrow. Apparently the record currently stands at 7 (see the tv show "Britain's got Talent").

So are you a world record holder?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Unfortunately not. I got 3 into my mouth but could not swallow.

I blame the psylium husks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

haha, harder than it looks i say :)

Saturday May 9th:

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    82.5kg - 5x3 ... personal best. Got videos of all the sets which I'll compile and post later
    20kg - 1x20
    ---
    Power Clean & Press
    20kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5 ... got videos of the 30, 40 and 50kg sets before battery died. Crap angle though.
    60kg - 1x2 ... personal best & smashed one of my new years resolutions i.e. PC&P 60kg for 1 rep
    62.5kg - 1x1 ... personal best, come on!
    65kg - 1x0 ... fail & roar
    65kg - 1x1 ... personal best, oh yeah!
    ---
    Pull Ups / Chins
    90 reps as follows:
    • 5x6 ... palms away i.e pull ups
    • 11x5 ... palms to face i.e. chins
    • 1x4 ... chins, failed 3/4 of the way up on the 5th rep (i.e the 90th rep in total) so dropped off and didn't count it
    • 1x1 ... chins, ... and the 90th

Pull Through ... superset with pull up/chins
    11.25kg - 5x8
    21.25kg - 2x8

Face Pulls ... superset with pull up/chins
    11.25kg - 5x8

External Rotation ... superset with pull up/chins
    1.25kg per arm - 5x8
    ---
    Run 2km (10:23, ~175 cals) ... intervals ---

Bodyweight 77kg on the dot this morning. Was under 77kg yesterday morning. Pleased to have lost about 2kg in the past couple of weeks. I will be happy when I get down to 75kg as that means a double bodyweight deadlift is just 150kg - a nice round number.

I love Saturday morning training. No time constraints.

Bench rocked. 15 reps at just 5kg below old 1 rep max.

Power Clean & Press rocked. One new years resolution down! There is something incredibly cool about picking 65kg up from the ground and pressing it out overhead. I'm guessing push press is valid for the power clean and press?

Pull Ups / Chins rocked. Was knackered in the last sets though.

Running was tough after all the stuff before.

Started with the psylium husks yesterday. Will post up measurements of before and after in a couple of weeks.

In summary: legandary session after two crappy ones earlier in the week.

• Advertisement

Bench Press
    82.5kg - 5x3 ... personal best. Got videos of all the sets which I'll compile and post later

The last rep of both 4th and 5th sets was weaker on the right, which is odd as I thought my right hand side was stronger.

Any advice / comments on form let me know.

Sunday May 10th:

Walk 5.6km

Stop A: ~5 mins Skipping

Stop B: ~1km warm up jog, then 3 rounds of the following:
    • Sprints 400m (100m slow, 100m fast, 100 slow, 100m fast)
    • Push Ups x10
    • Bodyweight Squats x10
    • Sit Ups x10

Again, as with last Sunday, the sprints were done over two football pitches length on length.
    • 1st 400m in 1:26 --> 16.7 kmph (200m split was 40 secs)
    • 2nd 400m in 1:26 --> 16.7 kmph (200m split was 40 secs)
    • 3rd 400m 1:31 --> 15.8 kmph (200m split was 41 secs)
    Going forwards my initial aim is to beat 90 secs for 400m which equates to 16kmph.

As you can see I surprised myself and got under 90 seconds twice today. Even my 3rd and slowest set today was faster than my fastest last week.

Next aim is to get under 1 minute 25.

Lots of DOMS from yesterday: biceps / triceps / pecs and lats.

nice bench video, looked pretty solid, ive never thought of doing sets at 3 reps.

Cheers. The weight is ~94% of my 1 rep max so the reps have to be low enough. Trying to get myself used to the extra stress at near maximal weight.

Tuesday May 12th 6:30am – 7:15am

Hang Clean & Press
    20kg – 1x5
    30kg – 1x5
    ---
    Glute Activation – Clams
    3x8 per leg

Deadlift
    60kg – 1x8
    100kg – 1x4
    110kg – 1x2
    120kg – 1x3

Shoulder Press (standing, dumbbell)
    24kg per arm – 3x5

Ab Crunch
    3x20
    ---
    Shrug
    20kg plate per arm – 3x10

Calf Raise
    20kg plate per arm – 3x10
    ---
    Run 2km (9:45, ~180 cals) … intervals as follows
    ---

Nothing major going on today. Took it easy. Got an exam in the coming 10 days so need energy stay awake and study.

• Advertisement

Hey BossArky, how do you find the intervals on the treadmill? I've never tried it on a treadmill but always thought it'd be a pain in the ass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The last rep of both 4th and 5th sets was weaker on the right, which is odd as I thought my right hand side was stronger.

Any advice / comments on form let me know.

It can be hard to tell from a vid when benching, but I'd say;

-you need to tighten up. It looks like you've just lay down on the bench and started pressing with no thought to set up (pinning your shoulders, getting your feet back a bit to have a solid platform etc)

-your descent is a bit screwy.... looks like you're flaring your elbows too much and taking the bar down to high. I say this because on some of the reps you're adjusting mid way thru and moving the bar forward to make toching easier. This will kill your power off your chest since you're in a bad position

-try not to snap your elbows at the top. A solid lockout's good, but that's all you need. No need to really put an emphasis on it cos it can wreck your elbows pretty quickly.

More importantly tho, what are YOUR thoughts on the vid? what do you think you need to work on??

Btw that's seriously good going. There's no way I'd do 94% 5x3.... with a tight set up your max might actually be a lot higher!!

Thanks for the analysis Hanley. I should be paying you :pac:
    Hanley wrote: »
    -you need to tighten up. It looks like you've just lay down on the bench and started pressing with no thought to set up (pinning your shoulders, getting your feet back a bit to have a solid platform etc)

I spent a good bit of time before most sets wiggling around and trying to pin my shoulder together. You cannot see it here as I cut those bits out to stop the compilation being like 5 mins long.

I seem to loose any tightness as soon as I unrack the bar.
    -your descent is a bit screwy.... looks like you're flaring your elbows too much and taking the bar down to high. I say this because on some of the reps you're adjusting mid way thru and moving the bar forward to make toching easier. This will kill your power off your chest since you're in a bad position

Ok, I'll think about this next time. Elbows in and bar more towards nipples.
    -try not to snap your elbows at the top. A solid lockout's good, but that's all you need. No need to really put an emphasis on it cos it can wreck your elbows pretty quickly.

Ok. I'll bear this in mind. Will have to watch the vid again to see this. Wasn't aware of it.
    More importantly tho, what are YOUR thoughts on the vid? what do you think you need to work on??

I think my bench is pretty shakey. Swaying all over the place and often gripping at different widths with each hand. It looks even worse when I watch it back. It is easy to block these thinks out when you aren't video'ing stuff.
    Btw that's seriously good going. There's no way I'd do 94% 5x3.... with a tight set up your max might actually be a lot higher!!

Nice one. Hopefully my 1 rep max has increased in the past few months. I'll work on this stuff you mentioned. Thanks!

how do you find the intervals on the treadmill? I've never tried it on a treadmill but always thought it'd be a pain in the ass.

The gym treadmills that I use have an "interval" button which is pretty handy. You set the jog speed (e.g. 11kmph) and then set the run speed (e.g. 16kmph). One touch of the button toggles between jog and run. There is about a 10 second delay as the speed adjusts.

It must be awkward if you have to change the speeds without a toggle switch. Is that how you do it / your gym treadmills work?

Doing intervals on the treadmill forces you to run at the speed you are aiming at. Outdoors I find it hard to guage the speed increase/decrease.

It must be awkward if you have to change the speeds without a toggle switch. Is that how you do it / your gym treadmills work?

I have mainly done the interval training on either hills or on cross-trainer. No interval button on the treadmills in my gym...
    Doing intervals on the treadmill forces you to run at the speed you are aiming at. Outdoors I find it hard to guage the speed increase/decrease.

Exactly, as the cross-trainer doesn't force you to go at that speed - so when you get tired you start to slow down...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Well done on the bench Boss! I'll be doing 82.5kg (3 sets of 5) myself tonight.

Thursday May 14th: 6:30am - 7:20am

Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x4
    40kg - 1x4
    50kg - 1x4
    60kg - 1x4
    70kg - 1x4
    80kg - 1x4
    90kg - 1x4
    100kg - 1x4
    70kg - 1x20 ... 20 rep pb
    ---
    EZ Curl (bar = ??kg)
    bar +10kg - 1x10
    bar +20kg - 1x10
    bar +20kg - 1x5
    bar +10kg - 1x10
    ---
    Run 2km (10:31, ~175 cals) ... intervals ---

Squat felt good, probably due to not making bits of myself with the Deadlift on Tuesday. Looking forward to finding out what my new max is in a few weeks.

5x5 on squat and deadlift is more or less out the window now (today would have been squat 100kg 5x5: week 6). Not bothered. I learned something from it. i.e. don't do weeks of 25 rep deadlifts at 90%+ when you are going to try squatting 25 reps at 90% plus 2 days later.

Sunday May 17th:

Curls ... in the morning
    10kg per arm - x10, x8, x5, x3

Walk 5.6km ... in the afternoon
    ---
    Studying at the moment so trying to conserve energy. Still a bit tired from Thursdays 20 rep squat... not in the legs but all over.

Thursday May 21st: 7:30-9pm

Walk 5.6km ... of which from 1km to 2.5km was a run

Stop A: ~10 mins Skipping ... managed one non stop set of 258!

Stop B: ~1km warm up jog, then 3 rounds of the following:

Sprints 400m (100m slow, 100m fast, 100 slow, 100m fast)
    • 1st 400m in 1:26
    • 2nd 400m in 1:33
    • 3rd 400m 1:25 ... pb ... this is the 3rd week doing these so I'll start recording pbs now

Good to be out exercising after taking time off to study for the past week.

Bodyweight 75.25kg this morning so the combination of husks, sprints and watching diet a bit more closely is working.

I'm hoping to bench 90kg at 75kg bodyweight pretty soon, so that will be a nice ratio of 1.2.

• Advertisement

Saturday May 23rd:

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 1x1 ... video to follow
    85kg - 1x1 ... video to follow
    90kg - 1x1 ... personal best. At last!!!!! Absolutely chuffed with myself. Video to follow
    75kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x10
    ---
    Mini 35kg Barbell Thrusters
    1x5 ... warming up and trying to get a feel for how to attempt Fran

CrossFit - Fran in 24:08
    • 21 thrusters (35kg) / 21 pull ups
    • 15 thrusters (35kg) / 15 pull ups
    • 9 thrusters (35kg)/ 9 pull ups

Fran nearly killed me. Used a mini 35 barbell for the thrusters. Good job I didn't try it with 45kg :o Absolutely wrecked afterwards. The pull ups were proper dead hang ones. I need to learn to "kip". I guess that would have knocked a bit off the time. I'm assuming kipping is easier than dead hang. Maybe I'm wrong. I have to admit that a lot of my pull ups on Fran were not full range of motion. Maybe 60 to 70% were.

Next time I may try it when totally fresh (i.e not after a bench pb) and use 20kg to get a bit of conditioning going. Will try and do it once a week

Bench PB at last! - Yay! :D

Bodyweight 76kg this morning.

It took me from 10pm until 4:30am to get the fitness records thread up and running in the early hours. Got 4 hours sleep and then went to the gym so happy enough with my performance when you take lack of sleep and a plate of apples for dinner last night into account :pac:

90kg bench felt fine. It was as if everything went into slow motion before I lay down on the bench. I looked up at the clock and though "10:15am - nice time to set a pb". I then listened to the music and thought "random song - ah, nice song to set a pb to". And then I did it. Yes!

Long time coming so pardon my revelry. My last pb was 87.5kg set back in maybe September 08.

congrats on the PB, set on a diet also!

Score.... hitting PB's just in time for the challenge.... nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Good man!

85kg - 1x1 ... video to follow

90kg - 1x1 ... personal best. At last!!!!! Absolutely chuffed with myself. Video to follow

Wowzers... that 85kg went soooo easy. 90 looked sweet too.

I really think with a tight set up and some practice you'd hit 100 soon!

Saturday May 23rd: afternoon

Walk 5.6km

Sunday May 24th:

Intervals (5km total [4km run + 1km walk], 29:56, ~400 cals) ---
    Face Pull
    10kg - 3x8
    ---
    Tricep Push Down (pulley)
    10kg - 1x8
    12.5kg - 1x8
    15kg - 1x8 ... maybe the first time doing this. Thinking about including it to help bench going forwards once I start Westside in mid June. Just getting a feel for the movement, nothing heavy
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (pulley)
    27.5kg - 3x12

External Rotation (pulley)
    1.25kg - 3x10
    ---

The purpose of today was to burn calories, learn to do kipping pull ups, and try out some new exercises. Totally forgot about the kipping.

Wrecked after Crossfit Fran yesterday. DOMS in quads / shoulders and upper back from the thrusters. Abs too actually. Biceps sore from pull ups. Some workout which I totally underestimated before.

I was thinking that I'm going too low on the thrusters, almost ass to the grass. When I see videos of some of the US crossfit folk doing them they seem to stop a bit higher with the help of a ball for depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm assuming kipping is easier than dead hang. Maybe I'm wrong.
    You are right, they are meant to be far easier. I saw rules for a world record for pullups and kipping is not allowed, then there is a record allowing kipping. John Curd Edmunds, allegedly did 220 chinups in a row at age 67 but was kipping and using wrist straps. It is sort of like swinging on a bicep curl, you use your own momentum to swing yourself up

I cannot kip at all, just never got the knack for it.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    You are right, they are meant to be far easier. I saw rules for a world record for pullups and kipping is not allowed, then there is a record allowing kipping. John Curd Edmunds, allegedly did 220 chinups in a row at age 67 but was kipping and using wrist straps. It is sort of like swinging on a bicep curl, you use your own momentum to swing yourself up

I cannot kip at all, just never got the knack for it.

Thanks for the vids rubadub. I have been looking for some decent tutorials. These are good.

My aim in the coming weeks is to learn to kip .... so that I can have a proper go at Crossfit workouts Fran & Cindy.

Advertisement