Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday May 24th (afternoon):

Walk 5.6km

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday May 25th:

Cycle 15km ... in the morning. Lovely day for a bank holiday cycle. Collected loads of elderflower for some kind of potion that Green Athene is concocting :pac:

Walk ~4km ... in the afternoon
    ---

During the cycle I measured the 2 football pitches I have been sprinting over recently. They are exactly 200m end on end which is handy.

Going to squat 115kg x1 for a 5kg pb tomorrow morning, fingers crossed.

Tuesday May 26th:

Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x4
    40kg - 1x4
    50kg - 1x3
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 1x1
    100kg - 1x1 ... video to follow
    110kg - 1x0 ... fail
    110kg - 1x1 ... video to follow. Not sure about the depth
    115kg - 1x0 ... fail

Kipping Pull Ups
    5 x 3-5 reps per set ... except for second set where I just swung around :pac: Reckon I could do a lot of these once I get the hang of it

Run 1km (4:19, ~80 cals) ... intervals
    2* [300m @12.5 kmph, 200m @16.5 kmph]
    ---

Kipping was a success ... for a first attempt.

Bodyweight 75.75kg. Was hoping to be 75kg on the dot this morning.

Squat was ok. Was hoping for 115kg though. Too many warm up sets and not enough food I guess. At least I got a video of 110kgx1. Previously I've done 110kg x2 but didn't video it that time.

BossArky wrote: »

Squat
    110kg - 1x1 ... video to follow. Not sure about the depth

Someone let me know if the depth on these is ok before I go to the records thread. Don't want to be the first one refused :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Awww sh1t man that's a tough call to make. I've had it paused at the lowest point now for like 5 mins just staring over my sandwich.at it. I'd have to say you're about an inch too high for me to be able to say you broke parallel.

It's close though but I'm trying to be as ruthless as a judge would be in competition. I reckon it would get 2 reds if done in comp (it would prob look good front on).

In these cases I reckon myself or Hanley should be able to throw it over for the others opinion and if it differs a third voice can make the deciding call. Someone like Podge, Malteaser, G'em etc.

Whad'ya reckon Hanley?

• Advertisement

No worries Kev.

I don't want it to be a dodgy decision. I'll call it a duff lift and try and again in a few days.

I know myself I could have done with going down a bit further. Will chalk this one down as a fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    Awww sh1t man that's a tough call to make. I've had it paused at the lowest point now for like 5 mins just staring over my sandwich.at it. I'd have to say you're about an inch too high for me to be able to say you broke parallel.

It's close though but I'm trying to be as ruthless as a judge would be in competition. I reckon it would get 2 reds if done in comp (it would prob look good front on).

In these cases I reckon myself or Hanley should be able to throw it over for the others opinion and if it differs a third voice can make the deciding call. Someone like Podge, Malteaser, G'em etc.

Whad'ya reckon Hanley?

I hate doing this, but I'm gonna have to agree. Literally 1-2 inches woulda got it for me.

I'm after staring at it for ages too... even took it to paint to make sure I was right!!

BA_squat_depth-1.jpg

It's hard to see, but the yellow line is where I'd place parallel (right at the top of your knee), and the red dot on your shorts (which I shoulda made more visible) is where I'd say your hip joint is. If that got to the yellow line I'd have given it!

Thanks Hanley :pac:
    • kevpants = banned
    • Hanley = banned

:D

Thanks Hanley :pac:
    • kevpants = banned
    • Hanley = banned

:D

Hahahahahaha I KNEW that was gonna happen.

Maybe we should have a mods only event? They can pick and chose how many Wilks points they'd like, and in order to get unbanned we have to rubber stamp it??

sounds like a plan :P

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    ... even took it to paint to make sure I was right!!

LOL! I did that too! Except I drew little clouds coming out of his backside to make it look like he farted.

Was pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

im not sure if it matters but I got a lower point when i paused the video than when hanley did ??

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/E-r-i-c/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]Here we are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

im not sure if it matters but I got a lower point when i paused the video than when hanley did ??

I just looked as well and 15 seconds is bang on the lowest point for me too as per Hanley's lovely drawing! :)

weird, did u see the atachment?

Everyone, relax! I failed!
    Malteaser! wrote: »
    I just looked as well and 15 seconds is bang on the lowest point for me too as per Hanley's lovely drawing! :)

You are my squatting nemesis. The reason I was aiming for 115kg at 75kg bodyweight was cos it would edge me ahead of you by about 0.000000000000001 in the WILKS table :D

well ya might aswell be legit about it ya know :P, im just being objective

Yeah it's still just ever so slightly too high. Literally an inch. If you put a dot on his hip crease in that photo and one on top of his knee, the hip is higher. Barely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

If it makes you feel any better, the only reason i didn't put my 80kg video up was because I didn't want to have to make Hanley and Kev have a big debate over whether it was in or not and then have to put up with the pair of them the next day in training if they said it wasn't (or, as the case may be, Hanley having to deal with me five minutes after he gave me a thumbs down!! :D)

You are my squatting nemesis. The reason I was aiming for 115kg at 75kg bodyweight was cos it would edge me ahead of you by about 0.000000000000001 in the WILKS table :D

Lolz...BRING IT!! :D

we need to have a section in teh charter for people under 17 :D, i might win something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Say bye bye to your pullups record this weekend Boss.

Malteaser! wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better, the only reason i didn't put my 80kg video up was because I didn't want to have to make Hanley and Kev have a big debate over whether it was in or not and then have to put up with the pair of them the next day in training if they said it wasn't (or, as the case may be, Hanley having to deal with me five minutes after he gave me a thumbs down!! :D)

Lolz...BRING IT!! :D

I'm gutted that 75kg wasn't your max! :mad:
    accensi0n wrote: »
    Say bye bye to your pullups record this weekend Boss.

Good luck accensi0n :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I do a bit of photoshopping in work, which involves estimating dimensions of photos taken in perspective.

If you look at Hanleys line, it is straight across, while the camera seems tilted (not saying on purpose Bossarky!), if you look at the metal bars above and below the yellow line they are both angled downwards.
    BA_squat_depth-1.jpg

A quick way to check stuff without resorting to paint, is to adjust your window size, click on the icon next to the X in the upper right corner. Now adjust your window box size (click, hold and drag the lower right of the browser window) so the lower border in the browser will form the line for you. It will also show other reference lines, like the bars etc. When you get higher in the picture the bars across the roof are angling the other way as the perspective skews the other way.

I do squats with weight on a dip belt and a bar cleaned up and pressed onto my back. I first adjust my dip belt so the weight just tips the ground when I am past parallel, so when I squat this is my signal that I am low enough.

Hahahaha first grudge match so!! This'll be fun :p
    rubadub wrote: »
    I do a bit of photoshopping in work, which involves estimating dimensions of photos taken in perspective.

If you look at Hanleys line, it is straight across, while the camera seems tilted (not saying on purpose Bossarky!), if you look at the metal bars above and below the yellow line they are both angled downwards.
    BA_squat_depth-1.jpg

A quick way to check stuff without resorting to paint, is to adjust your window size, click on the icon next to the X in the upper right corner. Now adjust your window box size (click, hold and drag the lower right of the browser window) so the lower border in the browser will form the line for you. It will also show other reference lines, like the bars etc. When you get higher in the picture the bars across the roof are angling the other way as the perspective skews the other way.

I do squats with weight on a dip belt and a bar cleaned up and pressed onto my back. I first adjust my dip belt so the weight just tips the ground when I am past parallel, so when I squat this is my signal that I am low enough.

Good point actually. If that's the case then the squat would probably appear slightly higher than it did already?

So BA, whatcha gotta do to out wilks malteaser???

Hanley wrote: »
    Hahahaha first grudge match so!! This'll be fun :p

So BA, whatcha gotta do to out wilks malteaser???

First off I'm going to drop to at least 75kg bodyweight and keep that as my max weight going forwards. I'm half contemplating some kind of squat specialization for a month before getting in to Westside! Maybe Westside will help if I just hammer the squat and leave deadlifts out for a while.

Kinda annoying 'cos I've spent lots of time in the last year or two on lower body stuff (squats / deadlift) but it is still lagging behind.

Tuesday May 26th: evening

Bike ~10km ... outdoors

Supersetted with serious under-eating.

Wednesday May 27th:

Bodyweight 75 on the dot in the morning due to aforementioned lack of fodder on Tuesday.

If it stays around this mark for a few days I'll gradually increase carbs again.

Tomorrow morning will be last day in the gym until Sunday or Monday.

Thursday May 28th:

Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x1
    110kg - 1x1
    120kg - 1x1
    132kg - 1x1 ... personal best, using 1kg plates from home for the additional 2kg. Video to follow
    100kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x10

Glute Activation - Clams
    2x5 per leg

Glute Activation - Kick Back on all 4s
    2x5 per leg
    ---
    Shrugs
    20kg plate per arm - 3x10

Calf Raise
    20kg plate per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Kipping Pull Ups
    3x3

Face Pulls
    16.25kg - 3x8

Tricep Pushdown
    31.25kg - 3x5
    ---
    Chin Ups
    1x8
    ---
    Run 1km (4:09, ~85 cals) ... intervals
    2* [200m @13kmph, 300m @17kmph]
    ---

Good week except for the minor blip with the squat the other day.

Bodyweight 75.50 kgs this morning.

Deadlift
    132kg - 1x1 ... personal best, using 1kg plates from home for the additional 2kg. Video to follow

• Advertisement

That's some nice deadlifting!!

Advertisement