Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

BossArky wrote: »
    First off I'm going to drop to at least 75kg bodyweight and keep that as my max weight going forwards. I'm half contemplating some kind of squat specialization for a month before getting in to Westside! Maybe Westside will help if I just hammer the squat and leave deadlifts out for a while.
    Are you an economist? :P
    Kinda annoying 'cos I've spent lots of time in the last year or two on lower body stuff (squats / deadlift) but it is still lagging behind.

Fwiw I wouldn't say your lower body is lagging really, you're 25kg lighter than me and your lifts aren't far off mine. :o And you've a bigger bench. Perhaps trying to keep your weight down is going to impact how much you can make gains to an extent? Just thinking out loud here i guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Excellent work on the deadlift man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Good numbers on the deadlift.....but. Now i'm no expert but looking at the video after 14 seconds, that looks like some curve on your lower back. I don't know if people can share their opinions as to whether this is an acceptable or even expected amount of curve but i think it might look a little dangerous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Are you an economist? :P

No :)
    Perhaps trying to keep your weight down is going to impact how much you can make gains to an extent?

I'm going to try getting my full moneys worth from current weight first.
    gnolan wrote: »
    i think it might look a little dangerous.

I think the same. Need to work on keeping back straighter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Friday May 29th:

Walk 5.6km

Stop A: Skipping ~5 mins

Stop B: Sprint intervals
    1st 400m: 1:23 ... pb
    2nd 400m: 1:25
    3rd 400m: 1:35

• Advertisement

Sunday May 31st: Morning

Calf Raise
    BW - 6x10 ... waiting for bench
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x4
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 1x1
    85kg - 1x1
    90kg - 1x0 ... fail
    60kg - 1x13
    ---
    T-Bar Row
    5kg - 1x10
    15kg - 1x10
    25kg - 1x10
    35kg - 1x10
    45kg - 1x10 ... first time doing this exercise so pretty light. Want to build upper back
    ---
    Run 5km (24:43, ~430 cals) ... treadmill
    ---
    Pull Up (neutral grip)
    1x10
    1x8
    1x6

External Rotation (pulley)
    1.25kg per arm - 2x10
    ---

Sunday May 31st: Afternoon

Walk 5.6km

Tuesday June 2nd:

Chin Ups ... on smith machine bar, waiting for squat rack
    BW - 1x14
    BW - 1x6

Bench Press (incline)
    20kg - 1x10 ... waiting for squat rack

Hang Clean & Press
    20kg - 1x10 ... waiting for squat rack
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    45kg - 1x3
    65kg - 1x3
    85kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x0 ... fail
    ---
    Military Press
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x4
    40kg - 1x4
    50kg - 1x4
    55kg - 1x4 ... push press
    60kg - 1x2 ... push press
    ---
    Barbell Lunge
    50kg per leg - 2x8
    ---
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    50kg per leg - 2x8

Barbell Row
    50kg - 2x8
    ---
    Face Pull
    10kg - 1x5
    12.5kg - 1x5
    15kg - 1x5
    17.5kg - 1x5
    20kg - 1x5
    22.5kg - 1x5
    ---
    Tricep Pushdown
    20kg - 1x8
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise
    1x8
    ---

Rubbish session. Got sidetracked in the park on the way to the gym. The entrace gate was open, but not the exit. This made me double back & lose a few mins so arrived late and missed out on the squat rack. Was just doing aimless stuff.

Friday June 5th:

Power Clean & Press
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x1 ... pb
    75kg - 3x0 ... couldn't get it above belly button height
    60kg - 1x3
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x10 ... was aiming for 20 reps
    100kg - 1x0 ... unracked it but didn't bother trying to lift it back up out of the bottom. Tired after PC&P
    ---
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    50kg - 2x8

Bent Over Barbell Row
    50kg - 2x8
    ---
    Military Press
    50kg - 2x5 ... last two reps of second set were push pressy
    ---
    Pull Ups (neutral grip)
    BW - 1x10 ... felt good after all the pressing
    ---

Good session considering I had switched off the alarm at 6am and decided to stay in bed as still knackered from tuesdays lunges. Got up at 6:30am after a guilt fueled recovery. Ran there and ended up having a good one.

Power Clean technique is still brutal. Was interesting to find out how much I can overhead (push) press though. I reckon I would have managed 75kg (i.e. ~bodyweight) if I had managed to clean the bar a bit higher.

If your form still needs work then your numbers will probably continue to improve as your form does-good stuff! Can't find the last time you did 20 squats, but perhaps you took too big a jump in weight? For some reason I thought you did 70x20 the last time?

• Advertisement

Can't find the last time you did 20 squats, but perhaps you took too big a jump in weight? For some reason I thought you did 70x20 the last time?

My last 20 rep squat was 75kg some time in the past 2 weeks.

80kg probably would have been ok if I had done the squat first. I was just tired this morning - the lunges and stiff leg deadlift on Tuesday had me crippled walking around the past few days :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

From a strength perspective, I think you could benefit from doing less!

Sometimes I have to stop halfway through your log entries because I can actually feel my CNS becoming fatigued!

The problem is you're a fit bloke and I'd say you keep going until you feel knackered. That doesn't always mean you're doing what's best to come back stronger.

Obviously you have loads of other elements to your training than just pure strength but that is just my 2 cents on the strength side of it :)

Sunday June 7th:

Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x4
    60kg - 1x2
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 1x2
    100kg - 1x2
    105kg - 1x2 ... vid to follow. Will use this one for the records thread
    110kg - 1x0 ... fail. So close! Got the depth too (on vid) but stalled about 1/3 of the way up. Held it there for a few seconds then crashed
    ---
    Press Ups
    45 reps in a minute ... video to follow. Could do more if I work on them. Didn't have a stop watch so was just aiming for 50 to see what would happen.
    ---
    Pull Ups (palms away unless stated otherwise)
    BW - 1x10 ... on smith machine bar. This was the first thing I did in the gym whilst waiting for the squat rack above. Just putting it here to keep it tidy
    BW - 1x11 ... vid to follow. 11 reps in 30 seconds, no breaks. If I had known I had that much time left I would have kept going for more after a bit of a breather. Probably could have squeezed out a few more
    BW + 5kg - 2x5
    BW + 15kg - 1x2 ... neutral grip, failed on third
    BW + 15kg - 3 (or 4?) x3 ... negatives, with Green Athene military pressing me upwards
    BW + 15kg - 1x1 ... palms in, i.e. chins. Wrecked by this stage. kevpants, you have a point :)
    ---
    Face Pulls
    11.25kg - 1x10
    13.25kg - 1x10
    16.25kg - 1x10
    ---
    Ab Pull Down
    31.25kg - 1x15
    41.25kg - 1x15
    48.25kg - 1x15
    ---

This was probably my last workout for a week or so as heading to Cyprus on holiday on Tuesday (yay!). I therefore wanted to get a proper squat video for the records thread... and try the push up challenge too.

Good to see Michael Cravez post some excellent pull ups. I broke out the dip/pull up belt and strapped on some weight..... --> first steps in getting that record back :D

All in all a great session.

Squat
    105kg - 1x2 ... vid to follow. Will use this one for the records thread

Press Ups
    45 reps in a minute ... video to follow. Could do more if I work on them. Didn't have a stop watch so was just aiming for 50 to see what would happen.

Pull Ups (palms away unless stated otherwise)
    BW - 1x11 ... vid to follow. 11 reps in 30 seconds, no breaks. If I had known I had that much time left I would have kept going for more after a bit of a breather. Probably could have squeezed out a few more

Bodyweight 76kg today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I will read your log with interest :D. I guess having that bit of competition will keep me motivated also for training pull-ups. One thing weighted pull-ups is great for is the carryover of strength of bodyweight pull-ups when you increase your actual bodyweight. I found that if you just do bodyweight pull-ups and then start adding bodyweight the bodyweight pull-ups become a little bit harder. This doesn't really happen if you are doing weighted pull-ups so i think its always good to have weighted pull-ups as staple in training, particularly if you plan on increasing bodyweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Whats the story with the update failure??

Thursday June 18th:

Bike ~7mins ... warm up
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x10
    30kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x5
    70kg x5
    80kg x5
    90kg x5
    100kg x0 ... fail

Military Press
    20kg x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg -2x5 ... strict

Front Squat
    20kg x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x2 ... happy enough

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    60kg - 3x10

Calf Raise
    BW x12
    BW + 40kg x24
    BW + 60kg x24
    BW + 80kg x24
    ---
    Pull Ups (palms away)
    x10
    x7

Hanging Leg Raise
    x7
    x6
    ---
    Seated Low Row
    30kg x10
    45kg x10
    60kg x10
    ---
    L Lateral Raise
    2kg - 2x10?

Reverse Fly
    2kg - 2x10?
    ---

Hammered legs there. As I write this (2 days after that session above) I can barely walk.

In Johannesburg for work at the moment - the above was squeezed in on the evening of my first day. Was a bit knackered after heaps of holiday travelling through Cyprus, Lebanon and Syria.

Holidays included a bit of swimming and walking... and lots of ice cream / crap. Will get back to proper routine from around mid next week when back home.

Whats the story with the update failure??

See my post a minute after yours :pac:

Monday June 22nd:

Run 2km (11:27, ~170 cals)
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x4
    60kg - 1x4
    80kg - 1x4
    90kg - 1x4
    100kg - 1x1
    60kg - 2x8
    ---
    Military Press
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x4
    50kg - 1x2
    60kg - 1x1 ... got pretty dizzy and had to sit down suddenly after this. It was 99% strict. Not 100% sure as I was seeing stars

Pull Ups ... easy supersets keeping count with the military press above
    BW - 1x8
    BW - 1x6
    BW - 1x4
    BW - 1x2
    BW - 1x1
    ---
    Sit Ups
    2x15

Lying Back Extensions
    2x10

Shoulder Dislocates
    2 sets of lots
    ---
    Front Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5 ... wrists almost snapped off. Heaviest yet
    ---
    Chin Ups
    BW - 3x8

Calf Raise
    40kg - 1x20
    60kg - 1x20
    80kg - 1x20
    ---

Forgot to mention I signed up for the London triathlon a few weeks ago. It's on in early August. Incentive to train = possibility of giving Jenson Button a pasting :D Well, hopefully if he is doing the sprint distance too: swim 750m, cycle 20km, run 5km. I know he is taking part in one of the distances.

If I manage 1hr 30 mins I'll be happy enough. Would like to do maybe 1 hr 25 mins. That kind of distance should allow me to keep making progress on the weights.

Nice work on the press. If your wrists are bothering you on the front squats you could try hands over the bar, unless you're doing them with clean grip to help your power cleans?

• Advertisement

If your wrists are bothering you on the front squats you could try hands over the bar, unless you're doing them with clean grip to help your power cleans?

Yeah, I'm doing them with the clean grip. Wrist flexibility has increased a mile in the past 6 months.

Friday June 26th:

Cycle ~12km ... outdoors

Skipping ~10 mins ... got one massive set which I didn't count but I guess was about 300+ reps

Saturday June 27th:

Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x4
    80kg - 1x2
    100kg - 1x1
    ---
    Front Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x6 ... pb, by a rep

Lunges (oly bar)
    30kg per leg - 1x8
    40kg per leg - 1x8
    60kg per leg - 1x8 ... tough after front squat
    ---
    Military Press
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x4
    50kg - 1x2
    60kg - 1x2 ... two push presses
    ---
    Pull Ups (medium grip, palms away)
    2x9
    1x6

Ab Crunch
    3x15
    ---
    Skipping
    ~5 mins ... not the best skipping I've ever done. Kept stepping on rope
    ---
    Run 1km (5:04, ~90 cals)
    ---

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'd have trouble doing those lunges... that's some good going!!

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd have trouble doing those lunges... that's some good going!!

Maybe we're talking about different things. I'm sure you would have no problems with them. One leg forward, the other back, 60kg barbell across back, bring back knee down to a few mm above ground the push up again. Change legs after 8 reps.

I'll video them sometime soon.

Sunday June 28th:

Run 5km (27:29 mins, 223 cals) ... outdoors

Walk / Cycle 5km
    ---

Used a heart rate monitor for the run to see what kind of calorie burn I would get. I was surprised that it was so low at 223 cals. The gym treadmill gives a reading of ~400 cals for 5km. I know the treadmill over estimates but still the outdoor reading seems a bit low. Perhaps it was defaulting to Green Athene's weight.

Heart rate was up about 170-190 for most of the run which looks high, but I felt fine throughout.

Bodyweight ~76kg a couple of mornings ago which is ok considering the lack of proper training/diet in recent weeks.

I've have had a good ponder about my training over the past few days. Originally the plan was to do Westside starting now. However, I've got the London triathlon at the beginning of August and think that 4 days "hard" weight training per week may be too much along with the cardio.

I then thought I could maybe do a month of Starting Strength.

In recent days Brian has twisted my arm so I've decided to go for *drum-roll*
    5/3/1
    . Apparently this starts off easy enough so hopefully I'll be able to keep the cardio in on the side until beginning of August. After the tri I guess
    5/3/1
    will have progressed and be a bit tougher.

I'm going to have a good read of the "manual" on the train home this evening and start from tomorrow morning.

Thoughts?

Lol I don't think what I did constitutes twisting your arm! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Thoughts?

Good choice :)

Even fat-boys like me can combine cardio and 5/3/1

• Advertisement

Thursday July 2nd: 5/3/1 Week 1, Day 1.

Military Press

Warm Up
    20kg - 1x5
    25kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5 ... should have been 1x3, got carried away

Work Sets
    35kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    45kg - 1x8
    ---
    Chin Up
    BW - 3x8

Dips
    BW - 3x8
    ---
    Skipping ~2 mins of ~5 short sets ... testing my newly shortened skipping rope
    ---

In and out in 30 mins. Feels good to be back on a program. This morning was easy.

I'm opting for a combination of Wendlers bodyweight and "I ain't doing jack sh!t" assistance as the tri cardio will fill out the rest for the next month.

Will go swimming at lunchtime. More on my 5/3/1 calculations later.

Advertisement