Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

You entering another Tri?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Good call on the assistance stuff, should be a nice fit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You entering another Tri?

Yes, London tri beginning of August which gives me about 4 weeks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good call on the assistance stuff, should be a nice fit.

I think Wendlers suggestion of minimum 75 reps on both dips and chins is a bit much though. I've managed upwards of 70 pull ups / chins a few times in the past months but couldn't move for days afterwards. That kind of volume is not exactly something I'd classify as "assistance". No way I'd manage that many dips.

Anyway, I settled on 3x8 for the moment. Will probably ramp it up to 50 reps after the first 4 weeks.

Thursday July 2nd: afternoon

Swimming
    1km as follows:
    • 250m x3 ... front crawl
    • 250m x1 ... breast stroke, cool down
    ---

I'm now the proud member of two rival gyms having joined the one near work for the sake of using the pool over the next month. The pool has a current from extremely strong jets at one end. This gives an odd sensation like swimming down/up hill every other length.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    More on my 5/3/1 calculations later.

Reading the 5/3/1 manual yesterday evening was great. It only takes an hour but that guy knows how to inspire people. It was like he was reading my mind.

My plan is as follows:

4 days weights per week on 5/3/1:

Day 1: Thursday
    Main: Military Press 5/3/1
    Current Max = 60kg
    Starting Max for % calculations = 54kg (i.e. minus 10%)
    Assistance: Chins & Dips

Day 2:
    Main: Deadlift 5/3/1
    Current Max = 132kg
    Starting Max for % calculations = 118kg (i.e. minus 10%)
    Assistance: GHR & Hanging Leg Raise

Day 3:
    Main: Bench 5/3/1
    Current Max = 90kg
    Starting Max for % calculations = 81kg (i.e. minus 10%)
    Assistance: Pull Ups (not Chins) & Press Ups

Day 4:
    Main: Squat 5/3/1
    Current Max = 110kg
    Starting Max for % calculations = 99kg (i.e. minus 10%)
    Assistance: One Leg Squat (which I guess = Bulgarian Split Squat?) & Hanging Leg Raise (instead of Sit-Ups)

I'm purposefully starting off with low volume on the assistance exercises to get a feel for how much this program works.

On top of that will do the following:
    • 2 days of at least 750m swimming
    • 2 days of at least 5km outdoor running (no treadmill)
    • 2 days of at least 20km outdoor cycling (no gym bike)

In total that this adds up to 10 exercise sessions per week(4 weights + 6 cardio). I'm going to aim for 2 per day on 5 days, which leaves 2 days off per week.

A month of this should see me leaner, fitter and familiar with 5/3/1 as the weight increases and I take it forwards for 6 months until the end of 2009. After the triathlon I will change from bodyweight assistance on 5/3/1 to something else, perhaps "Big, but boring". We'll see.

Now I'm off to read the other 5/3/1 logs to pick up some nuggets.

I have created this excel workbook to estimate my 5/3/1 progress.

If you want to use it just update the top box on the "graph" page. It will auto populate the rest of the monthly tabs with sets and weight .... and give you a nice graph.

It also fits onto a page for easy printing and sticking on the fridge!

Friday July 3rd: "Triathlon - brick session"

Bike (outdoors)
    ~19km

Run (outdoors)
    5.6km* (24:43)

*The "usual" run route is 5.6km. Recently I have been cutting a corner to run on more grass which probably knocks a couple of hundred metres off. I have yet to measure the exact grassier route. Definitely over 5km by a bit though.

This evening my aim was to find a decently paved 20km loop for my bike training over the coming weeks. I discovered a new canal, picked up a few nettle stings and almost got hit by a sledgehammer wielding local breaking up firewood by the riverbank. Many of the canal paths are broken up, bumpy and not conducive to speed. In the end I headed for a park I know. I measured a lap of it and was happy to find it to be about 5km. Next time I'll come straight back here and do 4 laps at speed. It is well paved.

Dropped the bike home and went straight back out for the run. Happy with the run time for a first attempt. This kind of stuff is called "brick training" where you practice running off the bike. The bike had me nicely warmed up.

Saturday July 4th:

Bike / Walk (outdoors) 6.2km

Easy loop acting as pacemaker / distance measurer for Green Athene's run.

Friday July 3rd: "Triathlon - brick session"

Bike (outdoors)
    ~19km

Run (outdoors)
    5.6km* (24:43)

*The "usual" run route is 5.6km. Recently I have been cutting a corner to run on more grass which probably knocks a couple of hundred metres off. I have yet to measure the exact grassier route. Definitely over 5km by a bit though.

It turns out that the grassy short cut brings the distance down to exactly 5km.

• Advertisement

Saturday July 4th: Evening 7:25pm - 7:55pm: 5/3/1 Week 1, Day 2 - Deadlift.

Deadlift
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x8
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise (feet to hands)
    BW - 3x8
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    BW - 3x8
    ---
    Skipping
    ~5 mins ... two feet and one foot variations
    ---

I did the Glute Ham Raise like this guy (except I wore a t-shirt):

Got a cramp in my left calf and hamstring on the very 1st rep. Got through them though with a few mini breaks per set. Not sure if this is the best way to do a Glute Ham Raise, but I don't have one of those GHR stations available in my gym.

In and out in 30 mins again.

Sunday July 5th: 5/3/1 Week 1, Day 3 - Bench.

Bench Press
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    55kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x10 ... probably a pb
    ---
    Pull Ups (wide grip, palms away)
    BW - 3x8

Press Ups
    3x15
    ---
    One Arm Dumbbell Row
    14kg per arm - 3x8 ... this is extra on top of my 5/3/1 program. Included it to add balance vs. all the pushing from the bench & press ups. Kept it light
    ---
    Skipping 100 reps
    ---

Another quick session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I did the Glute Ham Raise like this guy (except I wore a t-shirt):

Got a cramp in my left calf and hamstring on the very 1st rep. Got through them though with a few mini breaks per set. Not sure if this is the best way to do a Glute Ham Raise, but I don't have one of those GHR stations available in my gym.

In and out in 30 mins again.

I've done the same thing but used the smith machine bar at the lowest level to put my feet under and put my knees on a bench parralel to the bar. Should stop the calf cramping if not the hamstrings. The Smith in TF is about 2.5 feet off the ground at the lowest level so is about perfect.

kevpants wrote: »
    I've done the same thing but used the smith machine bar at the lowest level to put my feet under and put my knees on a bench parralel to the bar. Should stop the calf cramping if not the hamstrings. The Smith in TF is about 2.5 feet off the ground at the lowest level so is about perfect.

Excellent idea, Kev. I will try this out next time. Thanks.

Sunday July 5th: Evening

Walk 5km

Monday July 6th: Lunch time

Swim 1km as follows:
    ---

During the second set I made the effort to breath every 3rd stroke as opposed to my usual (every 4th stroke to the left). After swallowing a couple of gallons I pinned down the correct amount of leftward roll and nailed it. The difference in speed and increased oxygen was noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Monday July 6th: Lunch time

Swim 1km as follows:
    ---

During the second set I made the effort to breath every 3rd stroke as opposed to my usual (every 4th stroke to the left). After swallowing a couple of gallons I pinned down the correct amount of leftward roll and nailed it. The difference in speed and increased oxygen was noticeable.

so you were breathing both sides now. thats better becuase you can see both sides which can help you swim straighter and see whos around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Apparenty, in some cases, breathing in on only one side can cause a curve in the spine, so probably best that you're incorporating that now.

gnolan wrote: »
    Apparenty, in some cases, breathing in on only one side can cause a curve in the spine, so probably best that you're incorporating that now.

:eek:
    bigstar wrote: »
    so you were breathing both sides now. thats better becuase you can see both sides which can help you swim straighter and see whos around you.

The exaggerated (for me) roll from side to side adds length to my stroke too.

Tuesday July 7th: Evening (8pm - 10pm): Brick session i.e. bike & run

Bike (outdoors) ~28km as follows
    • ~4km to park
    • ~4km to home
    • ~20km round the park (4 x ~5km laps) in 41:43

Run 5km (28:35) ... slow, legs heavy
    ---

The "5km" bike laps of the park are a couple of hundred metres under 5km but I'm going to write it this way for simplicities sake. My speedometer overestimates the distance slightly due to the reduced wheel circumference when using slick (i.e. bald) tires. Little to no grip with these tires in the wet. Arrived home caked in mud.

The run was slow. 4 minutes down on a few days ago. Need to eat more. The mud stuck to my legs from the bike was irritating when my legs brushed off each other on the run.

All in all happy to get the km's in at the moment.

• Advertisement

Wednesday July 8th: Week 1 Day 4: Squat: Evening 9:25 - 9:50pm

Squat
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    *some hip circles to warm up / stretch*
    65kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x6 ... got a bit dizzy so settled for 6 instead of pre session target of 8
    ---
    Ab Pulldown
    28.75 - 1x8
    38.75 - 1x8
    48.75 - 1x8
    ---
    Latvian Split Squats
    BW - 3x8
    ---

There ends my first week of 5/3/1. I like it.

Probably going to double up the weights sessions for the next 3 weeks --> instead of 4 weights days I'll just have 2 per week: Deadlift & Military Press one day, Squat & Bench another day. It will save me some time and allow more time off to eat and rest. Legs were drained today.

Thursday July 9th: Lunch time

Swim 1km as follows:
    • 250m x3 ... front crawl in 6:16, 6:37 & 6:36
    ---

Saturday July 11th: 5/3/1 week 2 - Military Press & Deadlift

Clams
    1x8 per leg ... warm up for deadlift

Fire Hydrant
    ---
    Deadlift
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    71kg - 1x3 ... partial plates make their debut :cool:
    83kg - 1x3
    95kg - 1x3
    107kg - 1x6 ... pumping sweat afterwards
    ---
    Military Press
    22kg - 1x5
    27kg - 1x5
    32kg - 1x3
    38kg - 1x3
    43kg - 1x3
    49kg - 1x10 ... happy enough
    ---
    Reverse Hyper (on leg press machine)
    BW - 3x8 ... too easy. Thought this was somehow similar to a GHR. Hits the lower back a bit instead of hams and glutes. Need to add weight to make this count after triathlon. Got a bit of blood flowing after deadlifts so not bad
    ---
    Dips
    BW - 1x9
    BW - 2x8

Chin Ups
    BW - 1x9
    BW - 2x8
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (with Green Athene holding my ankles down)
    BW - 2x8 :eek:
    BW - 1x9
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise
    BW - 1x10 ... should have just done 8
    BW - 1x8
    BW - 1x6 ... grip slipped, should have been 8. Sweaty
    BW - 1x2 ... finished off set above
    ---
    Skipping 100 reps
    ---

The second set of GHRs squeezed a ROFL scream out of me. Got serious cramp much to the amusement of Green Athene and assorted onlookers. I'm hoping this exercise will turn me into a deadlifting beast.

Increased the reps on all the main assistance exercises by 1 rep on 1 set (e.g chins and dips went from 3x8 last week to 1x9 & 2x8 this week). Every week I'll add one rep.

Reverse Hyper was an addition to check how it works/feels.

My partial olympic plates arrived in the post on Thursday morning. I've now got 2 x 2.5kg, 2 x 2kg, 2 x 1kg and 2 x 0.5kg. These will be handy when the going gets tough and increases of 5kg are pushing it. Plates are grand. Cost was about 60 euro total including delivery in less than 2 days from time of order in Germany. Check them out here if you want similar ones: http://www.nerlinger.com/

Sunday July 13th: Morning

Bike (outdoors) 27 km
    ---

I reset the wheel circumference on my speedometer so now I get the exact speed and distance. Previously it was set to 210cm when it really should have been 195cm.

The cycle lap distance 4.44 km. Did 4 of those plus another 10km or so on top.

Monday July 13th: Lunchtime

Swim 1km as follows:
    • 250m x2 ... front crawl in 6:26 & 6:45
    • 300m x1 ... front crawl in 8:10. Wrong count --> did 12 instead of 10
    • 200m x1 ... breast stroke, cool down in 5:40
    ---

Tuesday July 14th: 5/3/1 Week 2: Squat & Bench

Pullups
    BW – 1x9, 2x8 … on fat smith machine bar
    ---
    Squat
    40kg – 1x5
    50kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x3
    70kg – 1x3
    80kg – 1x3
    90kg – 1x6 … hmmm, these are feeling hard. I blame the cardio. Last set wide stance, the rest pretty narrow
    ---
    Bench Press
    30kg – 1x5
    40kg – 1x5
    50kg – 1x3
    57kg – 1x3
    65kg – 1x3
    73kg – 1x8 … spotter touch on last rep. Was slow on the right hand side. Would have made it unaided
    ---
    Bulgarian Split Squats (what a name!)
    BW – 1x9, 2x8 … hind leg on window ledge. Sounds like I’m a horse here
    ---
    Ab Pull Down
    28kg – 1x8
    34kg – 1x8
    44kg – 1x8 … too light and not enough reps
    ---
    Press Ups
    BW – 3x16 … good doing these after bench
    ---
    Skipping 100 reps
    ---

Felt good this morning. Squats are my only minor concern at the moment. Not running on full power due to the additional cycling, running & swimming of late. All the upper body stuff feels solid.

Thursday July 16th: Lunchtime

Swimming 750m front crawl (21:13)

Friday July 17th:

Run (outdoors) 6.4km (37:23)
    ---

Tagged along with Green Athene tonight for a run. The time including brief stop to get stone out of shoe. Easy pace.

Saturday July 18th: 5/3/1 Week 3: Deadlift & Military Press

Clams
    ---
    Fire Hydrant
    ---
    Deadlift
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    89kg - 1x5
    101kg - 1x3
    113kg - 1x6 ... double overhand, remembered it should be mixed after 1st rep but didn't bother changing
    ---
    Military Press
    22kg - 1x5
    27kg - 1x5
    32kg - 1x5
    41kg - 1x5
    46kg - 1x3
    51kg - 1x5(or 6?)
    ---
    Back Extension (on leg press back rest)
    BW - 2x9
    BW - 1x8
    ---
    Dips
    BW - 1x10 ... one too many
    BW - 1x9
    BW - 1x7 ... knocked one off this set to even things out

Chin Up
    BW - 2x9
    BW - 1x8
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (ankles held down)
    BW - 2x9 ... cramp right, cramp left
    BW - 1x8 ... cramp right
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise
    BW - 2x9
    BW - 1x8
    ---
    Skipping ~100-120 reps
    ---

I was a bit tired this morning after last nights run. Still got DOMS in hands and forearms from go-karting steering on Wednesday night. Good session.

• Advertisement

Monday July 20th:

Swim 750m ... broken into 250m x3 front crawl

Advertisement