Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tuesday July 21st: 6:30am - 7:20am: Week 3: Squat & Bench

Squat
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    74kg - 1x5
    84kg - 1x3
    94kg - 1x5 ... alright
    ---
    Bench Press
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    61kg - 1x5
    69kg - 1x3
    77kg - 1x5 ... slow on the right side on the last rep again. Spotter touch on last rep.
    ---
    Pull Ups
    2x9, 1x8
    ---
    Single Leg Split Squat
    BW - 2x9, 1x8
    ---
    Press Ups
    3x17

Ab Pull Down
    28kg - 1x10
    38kg - 1x10
    48kg - 1x10
    ---

My fault for starting too high up the bench so caught the hooks on first rep and was inching down a bit between each press. Not ideal. Happy enough with this morning though. The pull ups are winding up slowly.

Forgot to include skipping at the end. Didn't have time anyway.

I experimented with having some strong black coffee around 6:10am. According to the book I'm currently reading (Complete Gude to Sports Nutrition - Anita Bean) this should help with 1 rep max sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Hey Bossarky,

How is combining the Squat and Bench, and Deadlift and Military press going for you? I feel there's too much of a gap between Squat workout's etc (1 week), when doing the 5-3-1.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Baldie wrote: »
    Hey Bossarky,

How is combining the Squat and Bench, and Deadlift and Military press going for you? I feel there's too much of a gap between Squat workout's etc (1 week), when doing the 5-3-1.

I tried four separate days for week 1. In and out in no time and washing machine doing double the work.

To save washing up powder (& free up time for run/bike/swim) I decided to combine squat & bench, plus deadlift and military press for weeks 2 and 3. It worked out fine. Combined these are still pretty quick as the weights aren't too bad yet.

I will probably go back to 4 separate days next cycle (after tri) though 'cos I want to hit them all hard individually, as well as be fresh for the chins and pull ups on both upper body days. 4 days will probably allow me eat well per lift too... if that makes sense :)

Wednesday July 22nd: evening

Bike (outdoors) 20.40 km
    ---

I was pretty tired from a couple of long workdays. It would have been easy to stay home and vegetate.

I got to the park and randomly cycled around on paths I hadn't been on for ages. Did some off road stuff too which was good for a change. The whole thing took an hour. Darkness was closing in by the end.

Just received news that I passed my recent CIMA exams so I'm feeling pleased with myself. A few more to go before the whole thing is done though.

Thursday July 23rd: Lunch time

Swim 750m ... front crawl

• Advertisement

Friday July 24th: 5/3/1 Deload Week 4: Deadlift & Military Press

Clams
    1x5 per leg ... warm up for deadlift
    ---
    Fire Hydrant
    1x5 per leg ... warm up for deadlift
    ---
    Deadlift
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    ---
    Military Press
    22kg - 1x5
    27kg - 1x5
    32kg - 1x5
    22kg - 1x5
    27kg - 1x5
    32kg - 1x5
    ---
    Dips
    BW - 2x5
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    BW - 2x5
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise (feet to hands)
    2x5
    ---
    Lat Pull Down (narrow, parallel grip)
    40kg - 2x10
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (ankles held down)
    2x5
    ---
    Run (treadmill) 3km (14:29mins, ~330 cals) ...intervals 11kmph to 16kmph
    ---

Saturday July 25th:

Walk 5km
    ---

I took it easy over the weekend. Will swim today (Monday) at lunchtime and maybe run or cycle in the evening. I'll have my final session before the triathlon which will be 531 squat & bench deload tomorrow morning.

That will give me four days off and I should be fine for the race on Saturday at 4pm. Looking forward to it. Hopefully the rain will have stopped by then. The last 3 years the sun has been splitting the stones.

Monday July 27th: Lunch time

Swim 750m as follows:
    • 250m x3 ... front crawl
    ---

First set involved weaving through kids & inflatables. I changed lanes for the second and third where I was in with swimmers of a slightly faster pace than myself. This was good as I had to push my self to keep the gap constant. I could do with a swimming partner to pace against.

That is it for my swim training. I'm rather pleased with the progress I made in just 7 sessions over the past 3 to 4 weeks. On Saturday I'm going to start from the front and give it socks. In previous tri's I have hung back at the start of the swim to avoid stray elbows and kicks to the face. This time I'll be the one dishing them out. Who wants some? :pac:

Monday July 27th: Evening: Mini brick session

Bike (outdoors) ~7km

Run (outdoors) ~1km
    ---

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

BossArky wrote: »
    Monday July 27th: Lunch time

Swim 750m as follows:
    • 250m x3 ... front crawl
    ---

First set involved weaving through kids & inflatables. I changed lanes for the second and third where I was in with swimmers of a slightly faster pace than myself. This was good as I had to push my self to keep the gap constant. I could do with a swimming partner to pace against.

That is it for my swim training. I'm rather pleased with the progress I made in just 7 sessions over the past 3 to 4 weeks. On Saturday I'm going to start from the front and give it socks. In previous tri's I have hung back at the start of the swim to avoid stray elbows and kicks to the face. This time I'll be the one dishing them out. Who wants some? :pac:

'roid rage :D

• Advertisement

:pac:

Tuesday July 28th: 9:20pm-9:50pm: 531 Cycle 1 Week 4 Deload Squat & Bench

Squat
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    ---
    Bench Press
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    ---
    Pull Ups (smith machine fat bar)
    BW - 2x5

Press Ups
    2x10 ... no stop between the supersets of pull ups and press ups. Maybe I'll try this for 5+ rounds next time I deload. Seems like it could be good to get up a sweat
    ---
    Single Leg Split Squat
    1x6 ... one too many
    1x4 ... took off one rep to even out
    ---
    Ab Pull Down
    28kg - 1x10
    38kg - 1x10
    48kg - 1x10
    ---
    Skipping 100 reps
    ---

The most strenuous part was writing the title to this log entry!

Consider cycle 1 fully deloaded. I'll probably kick off cycle 2 on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

Feeling good.

Saturday August 1st: London Triathlon
    • Swim 750m: 21:58
    • Transition 1: tbc
    • Bike 20km: 40:18
    • Transition 2: tbc
    • Run 5km: 26:40

Total: 1:35:47

This was my fourth year in a row doing the London triathlon. The venue is close to home so I think of it as my home turf.

In 2007 and 2008 I did the full Olympic distance. This year I decided to revert back to the half distance sprint. I was interested to see how I'd get on with the extra stone of muscle I have (current weight ~77kg) vs. first time I did the sprint distance back in 2006 (when I weighted in around 70kg). The shorter distance sprint also fits in more with my interests and goals. i.e. maintain muscle mass and avoid cardio induced skinniness.

I was scheduled to start at 4pm. Left home around 2:30pm and had an easy warm up 8km to the venue in just under 30 mins. Collected my timing chip and made my way to the transition area to rack my bike.

Having racked my bike, changed, and secured the various race numbers to my race belt and bike it was now time to face my old nemesis - the wet suit.

This, for me, is the most energy sapping part of the triathlon. I dosed my ankles with baby oil and flopped around on the ground for a few minutes, wiggling into it one leg at a time. Green Athene had turned up by this stage on public transport so she had a good laugh at my struggles from the spectator area.

I left the top half of the wet suit rolled down, reset my bike computer readings to zero, and set it to display average speed. When on the bike I would be aiming to complete the 20km in 40 minutes. This means keeping at or above an average speed of 30kmph... so the bike computer comes in handy here.

At approximately 3:45pm it was time to head for a final toilet break and then on to the swim assembly. I picked up the colour coded swim cap and put on my goggles far too tight. Had to stretch them a few times as they felt like they were going to suck my eyeballs out of my head. A fair bit of spit was applied to the inside of each eyepiece to stop them fogging up in the water.

Green Athene helped squeeze me into the top half of the wetsuit and then took a few photos. It was time to go!

One of the stewards was in the tunnel from the swim assembly to the docks. He shook hands with each and everyone of use as we passed on the way to the water. 13,000 handshakes over the weekend!

Swim 750m

So, I hopped off the pontoons into the water, holding my goggles so they didn't fly off. Some other fellow beside me had just lost his so I didn't want to make the same mistake. The water always manages to find a tiny kink in the neck of the suit... and seeps down to the middle of your back.

My aim, as stated a few days ago, was to make it to the head of the swim pack for the start and not hold back. If any elbows or feet got in my face I would try and deal with it.

It took a minute or two to swim out to where the canoes and liveboats were for the start. I managed to muscle / flipper my way to the front. The usual chanting and motiviational stuff... then the horn goes and we're off!

Starting from the front wasn't as bad as I'd expected. I had been worried that I would be stampeded in the water, but as long as you focus on your own stroke and let people know you are there things seem to go ok.

My stroke wasn't the prettiest at first. I probably should have pulled the wetsuit further up on my torso which would have made raising my arms over my head a bit easier. Still, I kinda perfer it to be a bit tighter on top and a bit looser lower down ;) Trust me, the last thing you want is a tight crotch in a wetsuit where everytime you raise your hand it feels like you are about to castrate yourself. I learnt this lesson first hand at my very first every tri back in Blenheim 2006 :D

Anyway, witticisms aside, the swim seemed to take forever. I was getting into a rhythm with my crawl as practised in the pool over the last month: right, left, right, breath .... left, right, left, breath. This allowed me to breath every 3rd stroke and avoid oxygen deprivation. The only problem was I was taking in a lot of water too. Maybe it was the altered buoyancy with the swim suit on, maybe it wasn't... but whatever it was I was mis-calculating my roll, taking in water as well as air.... and this would have to stop or else I'd be sinking like a stone. I'd say I took in half a litre in the first 5 minutes. It was looking like there would be no problems with dehydration.

The turning point was the roughest part of the swim. I gave and got a few knocks from other swimmers as everyone tried to keep to the inside by the inflatables for the shortest distance round. The trip back down the docks was uneventful apart from my frustration that the breaststroke of my nearby competitors was as quick as my front crawl.

Overall I was pleased with my swim - I managed to complete the full 750m front crawl using my newly refined stroke even if it was a bit slow. It was beneficial to be able to see both left and right as I alternated sides too.

Transition 1 was unremarkable. Bagged the wetsuit, put on shoes, final 15g carb drink in back pocket, run with bike (13kmph I remember from glancing at bike computer) to the place where you can start cycling proper.

Bike 20km

What I lacked on the swim speedwise I made up for on the bike. I'd estimate that I was in the final 20% coming out of the water. On the bike I got up to speed quick and enough and picked off people one by one. This was going well. I was keeping it around 30kmph as planned and the average speed on the bike computer was getting higher and higher through the two laps.

I had a slight pain in my stomach which I thought was my number belt being too high on my abs. I pulled it down and continued. More on this later.

The run (@13kmph) with bike out of transition 1 would have brought the average speed down a bit initially at the start.... so in theory if I completed the 20km bike in an average speed of 30kmph I would have done the bike leg in <40mins, factoring in the slow start when running with the bike.

It started pouring rain after 5km of the 20km and didn't stop until the run leg. Water was streaming off my helmet and coming off my front tire straight into my eyes - mud guards aren't cool. The conditions didn't affect me. If anything, they probably helped keep me cool. There aren't too many sharp bends on the bike course so it wasn't overly dangerous in the rain, even on bald slicks.

I spent a good bit of the 20km near enough to two guys on racers. I'd pass them, they'd pass me... backwards and forwards and good few times. Eventually I made a break for it with a few to go and left them behind. I made it in to transition with an average speed of 30.1 kmph. Mission accomplished on the bike. Not sure why my official time was 40:18 if the average speed was 30.1kmph.... maybe the course was a bit longer than 20km.

Transition 2 was terrible. I got off the bike and felt terrible. I could barely jog in to rack my bike. The bike computer told me I was doing ~8kmph (i.e very very slow) on the jog in to rack the bike. My stomach was killing me - as if someone had been punching me in the gut. I'm putting this down to one or two things - taking in too much water when breathing on the swim, or stomach upset caused by the 3 x 15g carb drinks (two prior to the swim and one on the bike).

Run 5km

I dumped the bike and helmet and set off at a painful jog. I looked around for a toilet and the thought crossed my mind of pulling out of the race. Stomach was going slosh slosh slosh with each step and people were passing me by. All the hard work on the bike undone.

The pain and slowness continued for the first half of the 5km run. Worst running feeling ever. Imagine having a massive load of food and then trying to run afterwards. I've never done that but I'd estimate that is something like what I was feeling.

Around the 2km (of 5km) mark a spectator shouted to a competitor running beside me "come on Joe, you're at 1hr20". I then knew that if I managed 12kmph (average running speed for me) for the last 3km I would finish in 1hr 35 mins. I bit the bullet and sped up. After a km or so the pain subsided. I kept my mind occupied by picking a spot and sprinting to it, slowing a bit, then repeating until the end.

My official run time of 26:40 surprises me. I would have estimated I would have a lot slower considering I was just above walking speed for the first 2km. Maybe the official distance was a bit under 5km. I'll find that out later in the week when they publish the full list of results.

Nutrition was good the day before and the morning of the race. Jaffa cakes, oranges, rice, turkey, pancakes, porridge, pasta, etc. I was well fuelled and glycogen levels were optimal.

I did not meet my goal of finishing in 1hr30 mins. However, I am pleased with the improvement to my swimming technique. I also met my bike target time and got a reasonable return on the 1 month of triathlon training.

The best part is I'm leaner and have a month of 531 under my belt. I guess the summation would be my training has led me to look like a cross between this and this.

The day also involved a further 16km round trip to and from the venue. Easy 8km in just under 30 mins on the way there, and took about 25 mins getting home. Just managed to avoid getting soaked a second time.

Until next year, tri-bye.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nice work, well done. Sucks about the stomach pain that must have cost you a few minutes. Would the swimming have been effected by water movement that you wouldn't been used to training in the pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i get a pain in my stomach when having taken in sea water too, probably the same thing, fair play on the tri tho Boss!

i get a pain in my stomach when having taken in sea water too

Probably healthier than taking in the spit and sweat from the normal pool though :eek:
    Sucks about the stomach pain that must have cost you a few minutes. Would the swimming have been effected by water movement that you wouldn't been used to training in the pool?

Maybe it was. I'm not too bothered now :)

Sunday August 2nd:

Walk 5km
    ---

Felt grand apart from the obvious slight tiredness following the tri.

Took Monday off to rest and eat. Looking forward to starting 531 cycle 2 tomorrow (Tuesday).

Friday August 7th: 531 cycle 2 week 1 Military Press

Military Press
    23kg - 1x5
    28kg - 1x5
    35kg - 1x5
    37kg - 1x5
    42kg - 1x5
    48kg - 1x9
    25kg - 5x10
    ---
    Chin Ups
    BW - 3x9
    ---
    Dips
    BW - 3x9
    ---
    Medicine Ball Twist
    3kg - 3x30
    ---
    Curls
    12kg per arm - 3x10
    --
    Stretching (hamstings)
    ---

Today I started cycle 2. I'm ramping up the assistance a bit now that the triathlon is finished.

Added "Boring, but Big" after the main sets i.e. 5x10 at ~40%. Triceps were in bits after this and it really affected my dips later on. The last set of dips were just partials as my triceps were shot.

Same thing after the chins --> biceps screaming on last set of curls.

Pretty wrecked this morning before the gym due to a busy week. Was gonna include One Arm Rows today too, but Deadlift day tomorrow so I quit whilst I was ahead.

The top set of Military Press (48kg x9) gives me a projected max of 62kg so happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Just reading back thru you're log, fair play on the Tri!
    Not bad for a months training!!!

Friday August 7th: Evening

Walk 5km

• Advertisement

Saturday August 8th:

Bike (outdoors) 7.2km

Walk 1.3km
    ---

Way too sore to Deadlift this morning so did light outdoor cardio.

Sunday August 9th: 531 cycle 2 week 1 Deadlift

Bird-dogs
    3x10 each side
    ---
    Deadlift
    50kg - 1x5
    62kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    93kg - 1x5
    105kg - 1x8
    60kg - 5x10 ... I felt like this afterwards :eek::pac::D:o:rolleyes::mad::eek:
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise (feet to hands)
    3x9

Calf Raise
    BW - 3x20 ... recovery time during hanging leg raise
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (legs held down)
    3x9 ... no cramping today. My posterior chain was either too knackered to care or nicely warmed up :confused:

Pull Through (low pulley)
    6.25kg - 1x10
    7.75kg - 1x10
    10kg - 1x10
    ---

I'm not sure if I should be doing Big but Boring plus other assistance, or just Big but Boring Or other assistance. Will check that now, 'cos feeling pretty knackered and it is only the second day of this cycle. I may be doing too much.

Overall I'm happy, but I know that tomorrow = killer DOMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Big but boring doesn't necessarily have to be the same exercise does it IIRC?

I'd do an assistance exercise thats similar to the main lift personaly,...

Something like Seated DB SHoulder Press, DB Benches, Front Squats, RDLs or Gms or something.

my 2c

I had a look at the manual. Apparently Big but Boring should be the same exercise. I'll stick with it this way for a while and see how things progress.

Wednesday August 12th: 531 Cycle 2 Week 1 Bench

Pull Ups
    3x9 ... first two sets whilst waiting for bench, third set after

Bench Press
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x5
    63kg - 1x5
    71kg - 1x8 ... spotter touch on last. Would I have made it unaided? Maybe
    30kg - 5x10

Calf Raise
    7x20 ... active recovery during "big but boring" & pull up main sets
    ---
    Face Pulls
    11.25kg - 1x10
    13.75kg - 1x10
    16.25kg - 1x10
    ---
    Dumbbell Curls
    12kg - 1x24 ... i.e. 12 reps per arm alternating
    10kg - 1x12 ... i.e. 6 reps per arm alternating
    ---

Really rushed session as I just got back to London. In and out in 20 minutes. They didn't want to let me in as last entry is 9:30pm. Got in and got the important stuff down, so success. Pretty stressful couple of days, long hours at work and little food.

In other news I was back in Ireland for a flying visit for work yesterday and today. On the way back to the airport this afternoon I called in to the new Informed Performance gym on the Ballyboggan road.

Roper is a very nice guy & went out of his way to show me around; weights, loads of rack, the ring, grappling area, prowler, area for sprinting track, astro turf, etc. --> think of "Strong" (the movie).

Will was busy putting a putting a guy through his paces. It was good to put faces to names & I wish those guys the best of luck with it. If I was in Ireland full time I would definitely be checking it out more often.

edit - my hamstrings are still killing me from Sunday deadlifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I'd do an assistance exercise thats similar to the main lift personaly,...

Something like Seated DB SHoulder Press, DB Benches, Front Squats, RDLs or Gms or something.

my 2c

It's the second option i was confusing it with!! i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

They're just templates, the important part is to do a compound lift with 5 sets of 10. I've done snatch grip deads and sldl's after deadlift before. However depending on what you do for those five sets you might be more or less inclined to do more assistance afterwards. So sldl's might be followed with pull thrus and abs, deficit snatch grip deads might be followed by a trip to the bucket. Just need to feel around and see what suits imo.

Sunday August 16th: 531 Cycle 2 Week 1 Squat

Squat
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    68kg - 1x5
    78kg - 1x5
    88kg - 1x6 ... top set :rolleyes:
    45kg - 5x10 ... big but boring :eek:

Inverted Scap Shrugs
    5kg plate per arm - 4x20
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    35kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5 :cool:

Bent Over Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    35kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    ---
    Front Squat (from Hang Clean)
    20kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x1
    ---
    Ab Pull Down
    25kg - 1x10
    35kg - 1x10
    45kg - 3x8
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    18kg per arm - 3x8

Side Bend
    15kg plate - 3x8
    ---

Was in Finland for the past few days. Ate some nice fish. Lots of walking. Legs were a bit tired today.

When squatting I could feel my hamstring DOMS still from deadlifting 7 days ago.

Sunday August 16th: evening

Bike (outdoors) 9.5 km

Hill Sprints
    10x100m

Skipping
    3x100 reps
    ---

I used the couple of hours between the World Championship 100m semi final and final to get this session in. Some final!

• Advertisement

OH MY QUAD(s) :eek:

Advertisement