Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday September 20th:

Walk 5km

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tomorrow I'm starting 531 cycle 3. I'm going to lay into this program big time over the coming 2 months. Hopefully I won't have any distractions.

Cycle one ended with a week off for the triathlon. Cycle two ended with a week off for the Crossfit invitational. I need to get more momentum going and avoid stop starting. Hopefully the weights are now building up to more interesting numbers too.

Still riddled with DOMS in shoulders and triceps so Military Press & Dips in the morning will be interesting.

edit - I'm also questioning my training methods. I want to incorporate more crossfit work but need to find space for it. This may mean cutting down the big but boring sets.

Tuesday September 23rd: 531 Cycle 3 Week 1 Military Press (6:35am-7:35am)

Military Press
    24kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    35kg - 1x3
    38kg - 1x5
    44kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x4 :mad: Goddam Crossfit. You owe my 531 a rep here. Prescribed reps = 5. Shoulders and triceps still in ribbons from Saturday so I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt here and say I would have made it on a fully fresh day
    50kg - 1x4 ... push press to make up for the missed one above.
    30kg - 5x10 ... big but boring. Did these after the dips and chins. 4th set = 6+4, 5th set = 7+3. Happy to have added 5kg to my last BBB

Leg Swings
    2x10 per leg
    ---
    Chin Ups
    BW - 3x10

Dips
    BW - 3x10
    ---

That took ages. Still pretty tired but wanted to get back into in. Of all the 531 days to start off with MP was probably the least optimal in my current state of shoulder and tricep DOMS.

Did a few light hang cleans to warm up but not enough to bother logging.

Chins were easy. Glad assistance is up to 3x10. Biceps were one part of my body which survived Saturday with no pain.

Deadlift tomorrow.

Wednesday September 23rd: 531 Cycle 3 Week 1 Deadlift (6:35am - 7:35am)

Bird-dogs
    2x10 per side ... warm up for deadlift. Forgot to move the front paw each time, I was asleep!
    ---
    Deadlift
    52 - 1x5
    64 - 1x5
    77 - 1x3
    84 - 1x5
    97 - 1x5
    109 - 1x10 ... top set. Prescribed reps = 5
    70kg - 5x10 ... big but boring. Moved up 5kg
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise (feet to hands)
    3x10

Glute Ham Raise (toes under frame)
    3x10
    ---

This morning was good. Happy to hit 10 reps on the top deadlift set following yesterdays weak performance on the military press.

Thursday September 24th: (7:15-7:59pm)

Bike 5km (outdoors)
    ---
    Flat Sprints
    10x100m
    ---

Rushed home from work so that I could get out into the marshes on the bike. It was getting dark at 7:15pm as I left home but I managed to squeeze in the sprints on the football pitches which was my goal.

I structured it as follows --> sprint 100m, walk 100m, sprint 100m, walk 100m, etc.

Towards the end it was getting too dark to see the lines on the pitch and I powered down a bit in case of twisting an ankle of the slightly bockety ground. Fresh air felt great.

The grass felt like a nice change from the usual concrete hill. I may alternate concrete hill with flat grass sprints for the sake of variety.

Today I was reading up on hill sprints and sprinting in general. Apparently hill sprinting is much safer for your hamstrings and you have less chance of pulling one vs on the flat or on a decline.

Running on a decline is supposed to get your CNS used to your legs moving at a faster race. That could be rubbish though.

Anyway, I was back home in 44 minutes so it was a good efficient workout.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've always felt better running hills as opposed to flat too. The deceleration phase on the hill's pretty much non-existent which I always found saved my shins and ankles from so much bother.

Saturday September 26th: 531 Cycle 3 Week 1 Bench Press (8:30am - 10am)

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x5
    43kg - 1x5
    52kg - 1x3
    56kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x5
    73kg - 1x7 ... prescribed reps = 5. Failed on 8th
    51kg - 5x10 ... boring but big, added 1kg on last week
    ---
    Pull Ups
    BW - 3x10
    BW + 10kg - 1x5 ... all the rest from here down were neutral grip chins & mostly partials
    BW - 1x5
    BW + 5kg - 1x5
    BW - 1x5
    ---
    Calf Raise
    8x10 ... supersets with bench boring but big & pull ups. Must remember to add weight next time
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10.0kg - 1x10
    12.5kg - 1x10
    15.0kg - 1x10
    ---
    One Arm Row
    9kg - 1x10 per arm
    18kg - 1x8 per arm
    24kg - 1x5 per arm
    26kg - 1x10 per arm
    ---
    External Rotation (L Lateral Raise?)
    2kg - 3x10

Reverse Fly
    2kg - 3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5 ... partials
    20kg - 5x5
    ---

Bench was fine. Pull ups were just about ok. I'm thinking I should add more lat work to help my pull ups. I may start bringing the dip belt to load chins/pull ups with extra weight. Hmmm.

Sunday September 27th: 531 Cycle 3 Week 1 Squat (6pm - 7:30pm)

Bird-dogs
    2x10 per side ... warm up for squat
    ---
    Squat
    BW - 1x5
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    71kg - 1x5
    82kg - 1x5
    93kg - 1x10 ... prescribed reps = 5. Got a video to check depth.
    60kg - 5x10 ... added 10kg to last boring but big
    ---
    Good Morning
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 2x4? ... some fellow came over and robbed the dumbbell I was standing the camera on so had to stop mid set. Messed up my counting so think I did 2x4 as opposed to 1x10

Front Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x8
    ---
    Ab Pull Down
    28kg - 1x15
    38kg - 1x15
    48kg - 3x10

Overhead Squat
    5kg studio bar - 5x5 ... practising technique
    ---
    Stiff Leg Deadlift ... added these based on feedback from Michael Cravez
    50kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x8
    70kg - 1x8
    ---

I definitely hit the sweet spot on the squats tonight. Had the feeling that I could have went for and gotten a 1 rep max pb. No point in doing that at present though.

I decided to add 10kg to the last boring but big attempt. Hoping these heavier sets may help with muscle growth etc. DOn't want to be wasting time going too light on them.

I'm surprised with the energy I had considering I peeled myself out of an afternoon nap at 5:30pm & felt drained on the walk to the gym. I think the banana and dextrose tablets (left over from Crossfit) helped.

BossArky wrote: »
    Squat
    93kg - 1x10 ... prescribed reps = 5. Got a video to check depth.

Good Morning & Front Squat
    40kg superset

Any comments let me know. Probably need to keep my legs straighter on the Good Mornings.

Squats looked good. Isn't your 1 rep max something like 110kg???

GM's look fine as well. I do em with about the same bend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Squats were good but looks like your chest is dropping slightly especially towards the end of the set. Might be a problem at heavier weights. Good mornings will probably help deal with that though if you keep the back arched hard (although I don't know much about gm's.)

Hanley wrote: »
    Squats looked good. Isn't your 1 rep max something like 110kg???

Max squat before was 110kg x2 with no video so it could have been a mile high. Wanted to check depth today to ensure I'm on the right track.
    Hanley wrote: »
    GM's look fine as well. I do em with about the same bend.

Cool. Cheers.

Yeah thought it was around that... you're good for WAY more. Don't just jump up to it tho, I'd say spend a couple of weeks working with progressively heavier weights for a few weeks with lower reps to get used to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mdc5065

Good form at a respectable weight. Definitely looks promising given the above mentioned ORM.

I could never work out listening to whatever was on that radio though, so that just adds congrats! haha

Monday September 28th:

Hill Sprints
    • 60m x3
    • 50m x3
    • 60m x3
    • 50m x3

It is getting too dark to make it to my usual hill after work, so I decided to experiment with the slight hill outside home. It is a busy road so the air isn't exactly fresh and cars are either turning into garages or the soccer complex.

Nonetheless I got my sprints (660m in total) done and dusted in 15 mins or so. Barely broke a sweat and can reuse the running shorts for next gym session.

Thanks to Tingle for the suggestions on mixing things up.

Tuesday September 30th: 531 Cycle 3 Week 2 Military Press (6:30am-7:30am)

Military Press
    air - 1x10
    air - 1x5
    20kg - 1x5 ... extra warm up set
    24kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    38kg - 1x3 ... misread sheet and did last weeks first workset
    41kg - 1x3 ... correct first workset for this week
    47kg - 1x3
    53kg - 1x6 ... prescribed reps = 3
    32kg - 5x10 ... boring but big, after chins and dips. Added 2kg to last week. 2nd last set was 9+1
    ---
    Chin Ups
    BW - 1x11
    BW - 2x10 ... last set was 8+2. Started with dodgy grip too far up towards wrist which slipped badly so was hanging on with finger tips

Dips
    1x11
    2x10
    ---

Pleased with the Military Press.

First and second sets of chins were strong. Not too worried if the 3rd one falls off a bit as I'm just using these to build up to a monster one off set somewhere down the line.

This is such an "arms" day! Looks like nothing but was tough to squeeze into 60 mins.

Thursday October 1st: 531 Deadlift Cycle 3 Week 2 (6:30am - 7:30am)

Bird-dogs
    2x10 ish per side ... warm up for deadlift
    ---
    Deadlift
    52kg - 1x5
    64kg - 1x5
    77kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    103kg - 1x3
    116kg - 1x8 ... prescribed reps = 3
    75kg - 5x10 ... boring but big, added 5kg to last week
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise
    1x11
    2x10

1x11
    2x10
    ---

Good.

Saturday October 3rd: 531 Cycle 3 Week 2 Bench Press (8:50am - 10:30am)

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x10 ... extra warm up set
    34kg - 1x5
    43kg - 1x5
    52kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    69kg - 1x3
    77kg - 1x4 ... prescribed reps = 3. Failed on 5th
    55kg - 5x10 ... boring but big. Added 4kg to last week

Calf Raise
    BW+32kg (16kg per arm) - 5x10
    ---
    Pull Ups
    1x11
    2x10 ... couple of dodgy reps at end of last set
    BW+5kg - 3x1 ... i.e. three singles. From here down were neutral grip chins
    BW+10kg - 2x1 ... i.e. two singles
    BW+15kg - 1x1
    BW+20kg - 1x1 ... and the crowd goes wild

Dips
    BW+5kg - 3x6
    BW+5kg - 1x5
    BW+5kg - 1x4
    BW+5kg - 1x3
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    12kg per arm - 1x8
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    28kg per arm - 1x8
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10.0kg - 1x10
    12.5kg - 1x10
    15.0kg - 1x10
    ---

I'm getting nervous ahead of the gym now due to worrying about making the pull ups! I know the first set will be fine. It is the 2nd and 3rd I'm worried about. Still got a few reps in the tank on the first.

I was aiming to do the first and most important set of them before the bench, so I'd be fresh. I was then planning to finish off the other two sets after the bench. However the bench was free as soon as I arrived so I just took it. I'm not sure how much all the benching beforehand takes away from my pull ups. Maybe a bit, maybe nothing.

I added in a few weighted neutral grip chins. Good to see that I could still manage a single at bodyweight+20kg even after all the other stuff. It probably helps when you know there is a crowd watching!

First time ever doing weighted dips. Again these probably suffered due to the benching beforehand. May keep weighted dips for bench day and bodyweight dips for military press day.

A bit disappointed not to have found a few more reps on the bench top set today. Boring but big at 55kg feels fine. Next week I'll try 5x10 at 60kg. If I make that I'll be pretty happy (and pumped).

Sunday October 4th:

Bike (outdoors) 16.6km
    ---
    Was acting as Green Athene's speedometer for her final long run ahead of half marathon next Sunday.

Squat later tonight.

Sunday October 4th: 531 Cycle 3 Week 2 Squat: (6:50-7:55pm)

Bird-dogs
    2x10 ish per side ... warm up for squat
    ---
    Squat
    BW - 1x5
    20kg - 1x5
    43kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    76kg - 1x3
    87kg - 1x3
    98kg - 1x7 ... prescribed reps = 3. Video to follow
    65kg - 5x10 ... boring but big. Added 5kg to last time
    ---
    Ab Pull Down
    28kg - 1x15
    38kg - 1x15
    48kg - 3x10
    ---
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    50kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x8
    70kg - 1x8
    80kg - 1x1 ... gym closing & I was spent
    ---

Decent enough tonight. Was kinda hoping for 98kg x10 on the squat to follow the 94kg x10 and 93kg in recent weeks. I'll settle for 7 reps though, having been out for a cycle earlier this afternoon.

Big but boring up to 65kg. I'm thinking 75kg would be a nice weight to get 50 reps on in a few weeks.

Really felt my abs on the stiff leg deadlift.

Bodyweight 78kg.

• Advertisement

Squat
    98kg - 1x7 ... prescribed reps = 3. Video to follow

Damn, just realised I should have done these barefoot. Usually feels a bit more stable that way.

Probably could have went a bit lower on some reps... and made less nice on all reps :eek:

Can't say anything bad about the depth on those!!

Wednesday October 7th: 531 Cycle 3 Week 3 Military Press

Bird-dogs
    2x10 ish per side ... warm up
    ---
    Military Press
    air - 1x5
    20kg - 1x5
    24kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    35kg - 1x3
    44kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    56kg - 1x3 ... prescribed reps = 1
    35kg - 5x10 ... boring but big. Added 3kg to last week. Felt fine - managed all sets straight through
    ---
    Chin Ups
    BW - 1x11
    BW - 1x10.999999999999999999, followed straight away by 1x1 to make up for the 11th rep miss
    BW - 2x5 ... tired so broke it into 2x5 instead of 1x10

Dips
    BW - 2x11
    ---

Bird-dogs seem to be the ultimate warm up.

Used a wider grip when cleaning the bar ahead of the boring but big Military Press sets. One of them when flying up in the air and I inadvertently figured out how to perform a half snatch.

I was sooooo close to making the 11th rep on the 2nd set. Chin was over the bar but didn't have shoulders ramped up against the handles so it doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bird-dogs
    I see you mention these and always pictured you strutting around like James Brown warming up! sounds like the funky chicken or something!

this is them right?

Chin Ups
    BW - 1x11
    BW - 1x10.999999999999999999, followed straight away by 1x1 to make up for the 11th rep miss
    To make up the "missing" reps I often do those extra reps right after -like your second set, but would sometimes do lots, e.g. I might aim for 20 chins, do 15 and do 5 rest pause reps right after. I have always felt most the last rep or so feels like you are getting the most benefit, and by doing rest pause reps it feels to me like I am prolonging that final rep feeling for a long time, but it only takes a short time to do it. I also do negative only reps at the end sometimes, it can really take it out of you. I sweat like mad doing any rest pause stuff.

rubadub wrote: »
    I see you mention these and always pictured you strutting around like James Brown warming up! sounds like the funky chicken or something!

LOL :D

Yeah, that video is them alright. I find they are good at 6:30am to get the blood flowing and heart rate elevated slightly ahead of deadlifts or squats. I just started adding them ahead of military press this week and they seem to do a good job there too - warming up the back.

Initially I came across them when kevpants linked to an article on glute activation exercises.

It only takes a minute or so to do 2x10 reps per side.

I guess they are named bird-dogs after hunting dogs such as Irish Setters and Pointers, who "point" at the bird to let the hunters know where to look.

Cracker%20point.jpg

My dog, (Bruno - an Irish Setter) would be proud of me. His deadlift sucks, but he is a good sprinter. So if they are good enough for him... :)
    rubadub wrote: »
    To make up the "missing" reps I often do those extra reps right after -like your second set, but would sometimes do lots, e.g. I might aim for 20 chins, do 15 and do 5 rest pause reps right after. I have always felt most the last rep or so feels like you are getting the most benefit, and by doing rest pause reps it feels to me like I am prolonging that final rep feeling for a long time, but it only takes a short time to do it. I also do negative only reps at the end sometimes, it can really take it out of you. I sweat like mad doing any rest pause stuff.

Good idea. I may try that on the last set.

Have you found the 5 or so extra forced reps help increase your one set max?

I'm wondering what the best approach will be for me over the coming weeks. It seems I'm coming to my limits of doing 3 sets across. The 2nd and 3rd sets are suffering.

Wednesday October 8th: 531 Cycle 3 Week 3 Deadlift (6:30am-7:30am)

Bird-dogs
    2x10 ish per side ... warm up
    ---
    Deadlift
    52kg - 1x5
    64kg - 1x5
    77kg - 1x5
    97kg - 1x5
    109kg - 1x3
    122kg - 1x5 ... prescribed reps = 1
    80kg - 5x10 ... boring but big, added 5kg to last week. Overhand sets 1, 2 & 3. Mixed for 4 & 5
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise
    2x11
    2x5 ... broke it into two sets instead of 1x10. Grip gone after deadlift

2x11
    2x5
    ---

122kg felt heavy. May have squeezed another rep out but was concious that my form was deteriorating.

How can I stop my back rounding? Obviously use less weight... but is there some exercise which can help with keeping my back straighter?

Saturday October 10th: 531 Bench Press Cycle 3 Week 3 (9:00-10:30am)

Pull Ups
    2x11 ... perfect sets :cool:
    2x5
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg - 1x10
    33kg - 1x5
    43kg - 1x5
    52kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x5
    73kg - 1x3
    82kg - 1x4 ... pb. Prescribed reps = 1
    60kg - 3x10 ... boring but big. Added 5kg to last week
    60kg - 4x5 ... had to break 2x10 into 4x5 to finish off the 50 reps

Calf Raise
    BW - 3x10 ... superset with pull ups
    BW+64kg (32kg db per arm) - 5x10 ... superset with boring but big
    ---
    Chin Ups
    BW+5kg - 3x5
    BW+10kg - 1x1
    BW - 1x5

Dips
    BW+5kg - 3x5
    BW+10kg - 1x5
    BW - 1x5
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    16kg per side - 1x8
    22kg per side - 1x8
    30kg per side - 1x8
    16kg per side - 2x8
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10.0kg - 1x10
    12.5kg - 1x10
    15.0kg - 1x10
    ---

Did the pull ups first as bench was in use. It made a big difference not being fatigued from bench press beforehand. Felt like I could have kept going for a while past 11. Looks promising for a one set max attempt in future.

Second set was fine. I thought about pulling back my elbows and it seemed like I could actually feel my lats doing the pulling. Before I may have been using more arm than lat power. I used a slightly wider grip. I'm pretty happy with this performance 'cos I was getting worried about the pull ups recently.

Bench Press was good. Was doing my sets with a friendly fellow who was a decent spotter i.e. didn't touch the bar. 82kgx4 gives me a projected max of 93kg. Feels good to be banging out high-ish reps sets at 60kg for boring but big too. Will keep the weight at 60kg next time to make sure I get all 5 sets in at 10 reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

How can I stop my back rounding? Obviously use less weight... but is there some exercise which can help with keeping my back straighter?

Have you tried switching to Sumo for some of the reps. When I started conventional deads my back rounded like a mofo so I used sumo. Now whenever I am going to lift conventional I do some warm ups sumo style. It helps me keep my back from rounding. I think your back will round using heavier weights and most definitely when your tired. So warming up with sumo could be worth a try.

Correct me if I'm wrong but nearly any sumo pull I see the back is nearly always straight (within reason). Whereas with conventional pulls at max attempts the back rounds.

Another exercise I've found to help is the ultra wide sumos i.e. toes at plates. They really force you to drive down into the floor, I find this also helps me keep the back straight.

Hope this helps!!

BTW nice pull ups:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Heh. That's like saying how can I stop this being so damn hard!

If you are keeping everything tensed and you get a little rounded it's no big deal. It's going to happen and putting the muscle responsible for keeping you straight under so much pressure they allow you to round is going to stimulate them to grow stronger.

Just make sure you concentrate on pushing the floor away to get bar off the ground while keeping your back tense.

I find as I tire I start to pull the bar from a position further away from me, which is bad, and results in me getting rounded as the bar is hanging way out in front instead of being close to me. I need to give myself a queue to make sure the bar is in at my shins before I try to pull it. Maybe this helps Boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have you found the 5 or so extra forced reps help increase your one set max?
    I would say it has, I think it helps with endurance, not giving yourself a real break, and gets you used to longer set times when you are hitting higher reps.

I noticed in one of your pullup videos you were pausing and hanging and banging out another rep, so that is sort of similar. I am doing high rep deadlifts for the last while and have improved nicely, with them often on the last few reps I am holding the bar and taking rests. Which chinups or pullups I rarely would hang onto a bar to get another rep, I just do not like the feeling and would prefer to drop, rest and then do another.
    I could actually feel my lats doing the pulling. Before I may have been using more arm than lat power.
    If you want to really see what is being used try some weighted negative only reps. I would go easy if you never tried them before, since I find they far to easy to do. But the next day I would have savage DOMs and know exactly what muscles were used!

Advertisement