Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

BossArky wrote: »

Deadlift
    30kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x8
    65kg - 3x8 ... vids of all these to follow
    ---
    Squat ... vids of all these to follow
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x8
    52.5kg - 1x8
    75kg - 3x8
    ---

I made vids of the deadlift and squat today. I'll post them later with my thoughts.

Before I forget here are my vids from the other day. Haven't had a chance to sit down and watch them yet & streaming is blocked in work as I type. Just remember that the deadlifts were painful on my shins, I nearly fell over at the start of the squats.... and my legs are killing me with DOMS two days later. Proper thoughts at a later date... perhaps.

Squat:

Deadlift:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday April 29th: Heavy Deadlift / Light Squat & Bench

Bench
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    Lying Twist
    1x3
    3x3 ... with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x8
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x5
    112.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x10 ... palms on butt

Pull Ups
    3x10 ... 10, 8+2, 5+5
    ---
    Squats
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    45kg - 1x5
    50kg - 3x8
    ---
    Decline Sit Ups
    3x10
    ---

2nd sets of 112.5kg deadlifts was perhaps my best set ever. Got a load of coaching and feedback on the preceeding sets and it "clicked" as one fluid moment - chest pulling up, hams and glutes engaging, quads pushing - all at the same time. Need to replicate this in future.

The rest was simple stuff - ran out of steam on the pull ups. May need to start spreading the weight training over Mon, Thurs and Fri as opposed to just Mon and Thurs. The squats, bench and situps would move from Thurs to Fri, leaving Thurs as just Twists, Deads, Pull Ups and GHR. Tonight took 2 hrs. It is long... but means I only have to train 2 days a week and have lots of time off for other hobbies: a new one(sailing) and old ones (guitar, piano, reading, touristy stuff). Life is good right now.

Weight was 80.5kg before training fully clothed in gym gear. Going to relax the low carby-ness and start eating. The time has come to get stronger again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Weight was 80.5kg before training fully clothed in gym gear. Going to relax the low carby-ness and start eating. The time has come to get stronger again.

Yay! Big Boss coming through! :pac:

Hah :pac:- I said stronger, not bigger! More food from my pov = quicker recovery and getting through workouts easier.

Saturday May 1st:

Bike (outdoors) 14km

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Your back seems to round a good bit and you lose your arch at the bottom of the squats here. very noticeable on the earlier sets but still there in the heavier ones.

Yeah - I think this is down to two main things:

1) lack of safety racks makes me nervous so I lean forward more
    2) lack of safety racks means I can squat lower, which in turn causes me to round lower back.

Going through an atrocious squatting phase at the moment - see next post.

Monday May 3rd: Heavy Bench (volume week 3 of 6) & Squat, Light Deadlift

Foam Rolling ~5 mins
    ---
    Incline Bench Press (to failure @8reps)
    20kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x8
    70kg - 2x8
    70kg - 1x6f
    ---
    Mini Straight Bar Curls
    7.5kg - 1x8
    17.5kg - 1x8
    27.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Decline Bench Press (to failure @8reps)
    70kg - 2x8
    70kg - 1x6f
    ---
    DB Bench Press (to failure @8reps)
    25kg per arm - 3x8 ... no fail
    ---
    DB Overhead Press (to failure @8 reps: seated, to rear, little finger higher than thumb)
    17.5kg per arm - 2x8
    17.5kg per arm - 1x6f
    ---
    Lying EZ Tricep Extension
    Bar - 1x8
    Bar + 5kg - 1x8
    Bar + 10kg - 2x8
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x8
    65kg - 1x5
    67.5kg - 1x5
    70kg - 3x8
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 3x8
    ---

Here are my bullet point notes. Too tired to right a flowery essay.

Bench was fine. Used slightly less of an incline/decline on both which make it easier. Angles were too exaggerated before. Increased weight to compensate. Flew through them. Easy.

Deadlift felt ok. I've got a lot of stuff going on with my deadlift technique right now and experimenting. Got the chest up early and GHR'd it up like last Thursday. Rocking back on my heels a bit so need to have less of an exaggerated lean back. Feedback is that form has come a long way. Tried a slightly wider stance which helped get knees out of the way and keep shins straighter. Will try that again.

Squats sucked. Each one was a grinder. The very first rep nearly killed me at 82.5kg. Maybe I'm not used to the 8 reps. On the first set I set my toes at a wider angle which allowed me to stay more upright and I didn't hump forward like in the video above. On the 2nd and 3rd sets a fellow showed me how to hold the bar in a low bar position. It felt way easier to squat the weight... but reallllllyy awkward on the wrists. I had the feeling that I was going to drop the bar straight down my back as there was nothing but my arms holding it. I need to work that at a lighter weight. This kinda low bar seems to help my balance. Apparently where I'm held it on those 2nd & 3rd sets is "below the divot" ... i.e it feels awkward as it is below the natural shelf... but will give better leverage if you can hold it there.

So, kinda frustrating... but I guess these are the things you have to learn to make progress.

edit - weighed in at 81.35kg in gym clothing & runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

how much of a warmup do you do before your squats? recently i started experimenting with changing up my lower body warmups. i found doing lots of walking lunges (short strides first, then very long strides, then diagonal strides) followed by a good bit of stretching and foam rolling resulted in consistently good squatting sessions. spent a good 20-25 mins doing all that, then overhead squats, fairly light. then on my first few squatting warmup sets going quite deep. the back rounding should be down to tightness in the hamstrings and glutes, no?

you've seen the videos of me squatting in that old rack without safeties, so that's no excuse for your back rounding! I think slowing your descent a bit and really thinking about not rounding may help... you might love some power from the "spring" out of the hole by going down slower but it's for the benefit of your lower back's health!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Looks like your chest drops when your squatting. Might make a difference. Apart form that leg swings before to warm up and ham stretches after will help with the lower back.

• Advertisement

Thursday May 6th: Heavy Deadlift / Light Squat & Bench

Bench
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    Lying Twist
    1x3
    1x4, 1x5 ... with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Bird dog
    2x5 per leg
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    90kg - 1x5
    105kg - 1x3
    120kg - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    1x10, 2x6 .... palms on butt

Pull Ups
    1x10, 2x6
    ---
    Decline Sit Ups
    3x10

Squats
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    55kg - 3x6
    wooden bar - a few sets
    ---

Not much to report. Tried a slightly wider deadlift stance. Felt ok. Form good.

Tried various things on the squats finishing off with just a light wooden bar. Form terrible. Rounding lower back still once I get below a certain depth. Stopped going so deep to see if that would help but it feels like I'm half squatting. Going to stretch and add leg swings more often (thanks Parsley & Scuba Ste) to see if this helps. Did some this morning and in the midst of squats tonight.

Saturday May 8th:

Bike (outdoors) 14.35km

Sunday May 9th: On the living room floor in my boxers with a camera, mop and amused neighbours squinting at me...

Squats ... video'd them all
    bodyweight & no mop - 3 sets of ~5
    bodyweight & mop - 3 sets of ~5
    ---
    Leg Swings
    3x10 per leg

Hamstring Stretch
    3x~15 seconds per leg

Foam Rolling
    ~5 mins
    ---
    **20 break mins reading flexibility info on the net**
    ---
    Bird dogs
    2x10 per side

Lying Hamstring Stretch
    5x ~15 secs per side ... see image below
    ---

Spent an hour just now in the early hours working on flexibility. Hoping this will help my squat issues. Made videos of myself squatting at home in my boxers. I can now see exactly what my bare back is up to. The lower back gets a horrific bulge when I get down past parallel. It looks like there is an alien going to pop out. Shocking.

I've trawled the net and found some articles. One stretch which looks good is this one:

deep-squat-stretch.jpg

As I was writing the above I came up with a flexibility goal -->by the 1st of July I will be able to touch my toes when sitting on the ground with legs straight out in front of me. The past hour must have helped.

I then tested how far I can currently reach. I'm surprised to report that I can touch my toes with feet straight out with a bit of a wince and bounce forward. Spreading the legs wider makes it easier.

The goal is now refined to being able to touch my toes and hold it comfortably for a few secs when legs are straight out. That gives me about 8 weeks to sort myself out.

Sunday May 9th: afternoon

Bike (outdoors) 29.5km ... along the beach
    ---
    Stretching ~30 mins
    • Hamstrings
    • Glutes
    • Touching Toes
    ---

Monday May 10th: Heavy Bench (volume week 4 of 6) & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press (to failure @6reps)
    20kg - 1x6
    45kg - 1x5
    67.5kg - 1x3
    82.5kg - target 3x6 = 6 (pb), 6f, 5f
    90kg - target forced reps 3x3 = 0.5 ... thought again and took 5kg off
    85kg - target forced reps 3x3 = 1, 1, 1 ... the rest were with help
    ---
    DB Bench Press (to failure @6reps)
    27.5kg per arm - target 3x6 = 6, 6f, 4f
    ---
    DB Overhead Press (to failure @6 reps: seated, to rear, little finger higher than thumb)
    17.5kg per arm - target 3x6 = 6, 6, 5f ... easy enough considering what went before
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x6
    30kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x6
    20kg - 2x6
    ---
    Deadlift
    47.5kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    75kg - 3x6 ... vids of all these to follow - form check. They were fine
    ---
    Squat ... vids of all these to follow - form check
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x6
    75kg - 1x3
    90kg - 3x6 ... good. Form better. Not humping over as much as last week.
    ---
    Bar - 1x6
    Bar + 10kg - 1x6
    Bar + 20kg - 3x6 ... video of first set here plus the two warm ups
    ---

Training went well tonight.

Bench was uber satisfying. So much weight & so much volume. Yummy. Was in bits when I got 90kg on the bar and it was never going to make 3x3 so cut my losses and went to 85kg. The 82.5kg x6 at the start is a pb.

Form on deadlift and squat was good. Feet a bit wider on deadlift allows me keep bar close to shins. More weight on squat seems to stop me rounding my lower back. The 20kg and 60kg sets were not great, but the 75kg and 90kg ones got better.

Will post videos tomorrow.

I've noticed myself that the lower back can round without much weight while being fine with a decent weight, so I wouldn't worry too much if your rounding with a broomstick. Though if you cant touch your toes you know you need much better ham flexibility.

A really good stretch is a PNF stretch for the hams. Basically its like a standing ham stretch only someone holds your foot in position for 60 secs at a good stretch, then for 10 secs you push against their hands with your leg, after this you should be able to increase your ROM and get a better stretch. Always keep the leg straight for these and leg swings and its best to do them after training when your sufficiently warm.

good luck with it.

Deadlift
    47.5kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    75kg - 3x6 ... vids of all these to follow - form check. They were fine

Squat ... vids of all these to follow - form check
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x6
    75kg - 1x3
    90kg - 3x6 ... good. Form better. Not humping over as much as last week.

Bar - 1x6
    Bar + 10kg - 1x6
    Bar + 20kg - 3x6 ... video of first set here plus the two warm ups

Everything looks fine except the light squats. Pretty sore today.

Tuesday May 11th:

Bird-dogs
    2x5 per leg
    ---
    Stretching ~10 mins
    • Hams
    • PNF

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    A really good stretch is a PNF stretch for the hams. Basically its like a standing ham stretch only someone holds your foot in position for 60 secs at a good stretch, then for 10 secs you push against their hands with your leg, after this you should be able to increase your ROM and get a better stretch.

Is the PNF done standing or lying on your back? I've had someone stretch my hams when lying down. *head to google*

edit - further reading for later.

I've only done it standing, like this one but with someone holding your foot, and without the bending at the hips. I'd say lying is as good, as long as you get that resistance for 10 secs and the a further stretch.

TomStHamstring.gif

I find these static ones good too.

image002.gif

• Advertisement

Thursday May 13th: Heavy Deadlift

Lying Twist
    1x6 ... no weight
    2x4 ... with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    95kg - 1x5
    110kg - 1x3
    127.5kg - 3x6 ... sets across pb
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x6 .... palms on butt

Pull Ups
    bodyweight + 5kg - 3x6
    bodyweight - 1x6
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    15kg per arm - 1x5
    22.5kg per arm - 1x5
    30kg per arm - 1x5
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    ---

81.9kg on the gym scales.

Deadlift weight was fine. Going to stick with feet a tiny bit wider than previously. This suits me best. Forgot to bring camera to see what these heavier sets look like. Will get them them week.

Quickiest training session yet - I'm now spreading my training over 3 days.

Friday May 14th: Light Squat & Bench

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    57.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    Shoulder Dislocates (band)
    3x10

Pull Apart (band)
    3x10
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    60kg - 3x6

Steep Decline Sit Up
    3x10
    ---

**from here down was messing about waiting for wifey to finish her heavy stuff - she missed training yesterday**

Military Press
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    ---
    Bent Over BB Row
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x10
    ---
    BB Calf Raise
    bodyweight - 1x10
    bodyweight + 50kg - 1x10
    bodyweight + 70kg - 1x10
    bodyweight + 90kg - 1x10
    ---
    BB Curl
    20kg - 2x10

Bird dog
    2x10
    ---

Not sure how good an idea it was to train today. Bad was pretty wrecked from deadlifting yesterday. The bulk of tonight was messing about. Felt great to military press again. Got some heavy calf raises in too after a long time without them.

Saturday May 15th:

Bike (outdoors) 14.75km

Sunday May 16th:

Bike (outdoors) 2.3km

Monday May 17th: Heavy Bench (volume week 5 of 6) & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press (to failure @6reps)
    20kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    85kg - 1x4f (pb?) *target 3x6*
    82.5kg - 1x4f
    80kg - 1x4f
    90kg - 1x1 *target forced reps 3x3*
    90kg - 1xSplat
    80kg - 1x3 ... drop sets as couldn't handle another 90kg
    ---
    DB Bench Press (to failure @6reps)
    27.5kg per arm - target 3x6 = 6, 6, 6
    ---
    DB Overhead Press (to failure @6 reps: seated, to rear, little finger higher than thumb)
    20kg per arm - target 3x6 = 5f, 4f, 3
    ---
    Deadlift
    50kg - 1x6
    55kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 3x6 ... vids of these
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x6
    75kg - 1x3
    90kg - 3x6 ... vids of these
    ---
    EZ Curl
    EZ bar - 1x6
    EZ bar + 20kg - 1x6

EZ Lying Tricep Extension
    EZ bar - 1x6
    EZ bar + 20kg - 1x6
    ---

Day was long.

Bench was heavy.

Squat was light.

Eat more.

Thursday May 20th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    60kg - 3x6

Lying Twist
    1x5 ... no weight
    2x4 ... with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    100kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    135kg - 3x6 ... sets across pb
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x6 ... palms on butt

Pull Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    60kg - 3x6

Steep Decline Sit Ups
    3x10
    ---

81.6kg on the gym scales at the beginning which is 0.3kg down on same time last week. I've been flat out at work the past while - worked 6 days each of the last 3 weeks and 10-12 hour days most of the time. Training is a nice break from it.

Deadlifts were tough but not 100%, so still got a bit left there. Today was the last deadlift day on 3x6s. Coming up are 3 weeks of 3x5s at 140kg, 144kg and 147kg.

Saturday May 22nd:

Bike 4.66km (outdoors) ... to the lake and back
    ---

I passed my sailing course today. I just realised that adding my two new hobbies together (powerlifting and sailing) has me looking something like this:

popeye.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Bet popeye would have an epic deadlift.

Sunday May 23rd:

Bike 9km (outdoors)

• Advertisement

Before I forget here are the videos from last week:
    Monday May 17th

Deadlift
    50kg - 1x6
    55kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 3x6 ... vids of these

Squat
    20kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x6
    75kg - 1x3
    90kg - 3x6 ... vids of these

Just got a couple of the squat sets. Cannot remember if they were 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd.

Advertisement