Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday June 17th: morning@home

External Rotation
    2kg - 2x10
    ---

82kg on the scales this morning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday June 17rd: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench ... skipped it. Left chest tendons still sore
    ---
    Lying Twists ... a few half hearted ones - couldn't brace myself properly due to the above
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x1
    *belt*
    140kg - 1x1
    155kg - 2x2 ... sets across pb. Video later
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    50kg - 1x1
    60kg - 1x1
    65kg - 2x2
    ---
    Face Pulls
    15kg - 1x10
    20kg - 1x10
    25kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    35kg - 1x10
    ---

Skipped the light bench today to give myself a bit more recovery time. Tendon still sore. First time in almost 5 months that I haven't benched twice per week. Think I may have been doing the light bench days too heavy and not recovering properly.

Deadlift was ok. Doubles are up 5kg on last cycle in 2.5 months so I'm happy.

Face Pulls - I missed them. Best exercise ever. No other assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

You seem to be hitting PBs every feckin' session lately Boss. great stuff!!

Friday June 18th: evening@home

Swimming 480m as follows:
    • 200m bs
    • 200m fc
    • 80m messing about

BossArky wrote: »

Deadlift
    155kg - 2x2 ... sets across pb. Video later

• Advertisement

Monday June 21st: morning@home

Shoulder Dislocates (band)
    2x10

Pull Apart (band)
    3x10

Monday June 21st: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    *bench abandoned - still sore*
    ---
    EZ Curl
    EZ bar - 1x10
    EZ bar + 20kg - 2x5

EZ Lying Tricep Extension
    EZ bar - 1x5
    EZ bar + 20kg - 2x5
    ---
    Deadlift
    42.5kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x1
    80kg - 1x1
    90kg - 2x2
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x1
    *belt*
    110kg - 1x1
    120kg - 2x2 ... sets across pb. Videos later
    ---

Bench was supposed to build up to paused 87.5kg which would have been 2.5kg up on last cycle. Abandoned any thoughts of that during the warm ups as chest/tendon/pec/whatever is still slightly sore. Don't want to aggravate it before sunday. Physio fellow I train with thinks it may be a slight pec tear.

Squat was good. First set easy. Second set bloodrush.

Squat
    120kg - 2x2 ... sets across pb. Videos later

The spotters in the 2nd video are both powerhouses who compete in my 82.5kg category. The fellow in blue has a squat at 260kg+. The guy in the white t-shirt recently deadlift 242.5kg. The back spotter in the first vid holds the Australian squat record of 321kg from a couple of months back in the 100kg category. Interesting to train with these fellows and learn.

Thursday June 24th:

Squat
    20kg – 1x5
    40kg – 1x4
    45kg – 1x3
    50kg – 1x1
    60kg – 3x5

Decline Situps
    3x10
    ---
    Band Pull Apart
    3x10
    ---

I have decided not to bench on Sunday. I feel 99% recovered but don’t want to chance snapping a pec on a 1RM if it is torn slightly. I think it must have just been a bad strain. Better safe than sorry though.

Expecting a 5kg to 7.5kg pb on both squat and deadlift.

Friday June 25th:

Bodyweight 80.5kg first thing in the morning.

• Advertisement

Sunday June 27th: Powerlifting Compeition - Hawthorn (Melbourne)

Weighed in at 81.05kg. Had a leisurely breakfast (porridge & tea) a couple of hours before. Same location as my last comp 2.5 months ago. This time the sauna wasn't switched on. I had planned to sweat myself down to 80kg. No big deal.

As planned I skipped the bench to be on the safe side. Ended up with a 7.5kg pb on my squat and 5kg pb on my deadlift.

Warm Ups went like this:
    Squat: 60kg x5, 90kg x3, 105kg x1
    Deadlift: 60kg x5, 100kg x2, 120kg x1, 140kg x1

Competition lifts went like this:
    Squat#1: 120kg
    Squat#2: 127.5kg ... 2.5kg pb
    Squat#3: 132.5kg ... 7.5kg pb

Deadlift#1: 157.5kg
    Deadlift#2: 165kg ... 5kg pb
    Deadlift#3: 170kg ... fail

Quite pleased with the squat.

The rules state that you have to nominate a bench weight even though I told them I wasn't going to bench. I opted for 20kg. Apparently the lowest you can go is 25kg, so it was revised upwards. It was funny sitting in the crowd whilst they called my name for a 25kg bench and people looking around wondering who the monster was that was gonna bench that weight. Some guys were urging me to nominate the world bench record as my 1st bench attempt - for the laugh- then pass on it. In the end I settled on 25kg to give the spotters a break and sat there cringing whilst the 3 attempts timed out.

May have managed 167.5kg on the deadlift. The 5kg jump from 165kg and 170kg was a bridge too far. I seem to loose my concentration on the 3rd deadlift. Same as last comp - I was happy with the pb in the bag from deadlift #2 and kinda switched off. The guy who was coaching me through-out the day gave my an almighty thump on the back which distracted me as I was heading out for the last one - see the video. Don't worry - I got him with a good clip on the head when walking back.

I'm going to spend the next month focusing on increased fitness and fat loss before gearing up for the next competition is September. Inching my way ever closer towards my targets of 140kg/100kg/180kg set back in January.

Another good day. Video later.

Sunday June 27th: Powerlifting Compeition - Hawthorn (Melbourne)

Competition lifts went like this:
    Squat#1: 120kg
    Squat#2: 127.5kg ... 2.5kg pb
    Squat#3: 132.5kg ... 7.5kg pb

Deadlift#1: 157.5kg
    Deadlift#2: 165kg ... 5kg pb
    Deadlift#3: 170kg ... fail

Tuesday June 29th:

Went to check out a local Crossfit gym here in St.Kilda. The $200 charge for a month is a bit steep. Met one of the coaches who was busy putting folks through tabata (sp?) squats for lunch.

Going to start training tomorrow.

Wednesday June 30th: @home

Band Pull Aparts
    3x10

Band Shoulder Dislocates
    2x10
    ---
    Warm Up Jog ~500m
    ---
    Crossfit Cindy: 5 rounds of
    • 5 Kipping Pull Ups
    • 10 PressUps
    • 15 Bodyweight Squats
    ---
    3 rounds of 8 reps:
    • 10kg One Arm DB Row
    • 10kg DB Thrusters Row
    • Hanging Leg Raise
    ---

God I'm unfit.

Thursday July 1st: @home

Swim 800m as follows
    • 200m bs
    • 200m fc
    • 200m bs
    • 200m fc

For the last 400m I tried tumble turns. Much easier on breast stroke.

Monday July 5th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    47.5kg - 1x10
    52.5kg - 3x10
    ---
    BB Curl
    30kg - 3x10
    ---
    DB Bench
    17.5kg - 3x10

Straight Bar Lying Tricep Extension
    30kg - 3x10
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x10
    75kg - 1x10
    75kg - 3x10
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x10
    65kg - 3x10
    ---

Back to it after a week off.

Tuedsay July 6th: @home

5 rounds of:
    • 5 NG Chins
    • 10 BW Squats
    • 8 15kg DB Shoulder Press
    ---
    4 rounds of:
    • 5 30kg DB Calf Raise
    • 5 30kg DB Shrugs
    ---
    Alternating DB Curl
    15kg per arm - 2x10
    ---
    2 or 3 rounds of:
    • 5 30kg DB Calf Raise
    • 5 30kg DB Shrugs
    ---
    3 rounds of:
    • 8 BW Lunges per side
    • 8 Hanging Leg Raise
    ---
    Face Pulls
    14kg - 1x8
    18kg - 1x8
    23kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x8
    14kg - 1x10
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg - 3x10
    ---

Aim of the game was to burn some calories. Mission accomplished.

Thursday July 8th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    45kg - 3x8
    ---
    Lying Twists
    3x6
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x8
    75kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x5
    100kg - 3x8
    ---
    Squat
    30kg - 1x8
    35kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    45kg - 3x8
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x10

Chin Ups
    3x5

Decline Situps w/5kg
    3x10
    ---

Training was fine.

Just finished a hell of a piece of real life work which has devoured my life for the past 4 months - working weekends/evenings almost 24/7.

Delighted that my next piece of work is going to be long term here in the city & within walking distance of home. Really looking forward to focusing on improving my lifts and the certainty that I will be in one place for a while.

Since starting this log I've worked all over the place: Zurich, Vienna, Dublin, Cork, Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Johannesburg, Birmingham, Luton, London and various other parts of the UK and finally here in Melbourne. It is good fun experiencing these places...but can be tough to organise training around the travelling.

I got a really cool leaving present from one of my colleagues - my likeness in blu-tack!! I'll post a picture later.

In other news I used my new found time to sign up for a doctor & dentist. I mentioned to the doctor that I had a concern about a minor pec tear. She had me do various stretches and said I didn't need to see a physio.I argued the case, as it was still sore, so she finally gave me a referral.

The physio told me I have a lump of scar tissue in my left pec. He covered me in jelly and used an ultra sound stick to warm the area up, before pummeling the pec. God it was painful at stages. Sometimes I was laughing from the tickle factor... other times almost screaming with pain.

The results was good though. Before the massage he had me try some one arm presses up against his bodyweight. They were painful. After the massage I tried a second time and the pain was less. After a 3rd massage the pain was totally got. He prescribed a few exercises: incline pressups on knees 3x15 / lat pull down light 3x15 to do every day to get some blood flowing.

My first proper physio experience and I'm impressed. Going back for 2 follow up sessions next week... and hopefully i.e. more pec massage and hopefully that will be that. It wasn't half as homo erotic as I imagined i.e. getting a massage from a random fellow.

I got a really cool leaving present from one of my colleagues - my likeness in blu-tack!! I'll post a picture later.

blutacme.th.jpg

Here is what training will look like for the next couple of months:

mprogram2.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

haha the blu-tack guy looks mad. I like the training log aswell, it looks like you've got a nice little set up.

• Advertisement

Wednesday July 5th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    BB Curl
    32.5kg - 3x10

DB Bench
    20kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    22.5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Deadlift
    40kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    75kg - 3x8
    ---

Spent the past few days tramping around the hills of Tasmania on a mini holiday.

Physio massage this morning on left pec. Painful. He almost turned it inside out. Feels a lot better now.

Kept the bench to close grip and gradually worked width out as the sets progressed. No pain. Good. Ended up at about 3/4 of normal width.

Kept the DB bench elbows tucked and parallel ish grip to keep strain off the pecs. Again no pain. Good. Think recovery is almost complete.

Cheers Damien :)

Friday July 16th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x6
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    45kg - 3x6
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x6 ... bodyweight
    2x5 ... with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x10

Chin Ups
    3x6

Decline Situps w/5kg
    3x10
    ---
    Squat
    40kg - 1x6
    45kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    55kg - 3x6
    ---

Bodyweight 79.3kg in the evening after training/shower. Training is light as still in early days of the cycle - just getting to the 3x6's. The intensity will increase in a few weeks when getting on to the 3x5's.

3rd physio session this morning. I more or less one arm pressed the 68kg physio up into the air without pain during a rehab test so left pec seems to be doing fine. One of the conditions of my visa is that you required private health insurance. It is coming in handy now for getting this stuff sorted out with no stress about paying heaps of money.

Next Saturday I'm running the scoring table/IT stuff at the Oz Powerlifting Champs. Should be a good weekend.

Put in an order for my own belt too.

Monday July 19th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    65kg - 3x6 ... close grip
    ---
    DB Bench
    22.5kg - 3x10

BB Curl
    32.5kg - 3x10
    ---
    32.5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Deadlift
    50kg - 1x6
    55kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    65kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    70kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    82.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    Cross Trainer 15 mins ~164 cals
    ---

Felt a tiny twinge somewhere in my oxter/rib area when trying bench with little finger on rings. Switched to close grip for the top sets and that was fine. May just stick with close grip for the next month and grow massive triceps. Told the physio about the twinge the next morning. He reckons it may be due to the serratus or intercostals taking more strain when the pec was injured.

Tuesday July 20th: burning calories @home

5 rounds of
    • 5 BW Squats
    • 5 Press Ups
    • 5 Chin Ups ... just got 4 and 3 on the last 2 rounds
    ---
    Seated DB Shoulder Press
    10kg per arm - 1x5
    15kg per arm - 1x5
    20kg per arm - 5x5

Single Leg Calf Raise
    BW - 3x10 per leg
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm - 1x5
    30kg per arm - 3x5
    ---
    Treadmill Intervals 8km-14km: 5 times with 30 seconds on/off ~150 cals
    ---
    Cross Trainer 15 mins ~75 cals
    ---
    Face Pulls
    23kg - 3x8

Lateral Raise
    5kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Think that was it.

Thursday July 22nd: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    45kg - 1x3
    50kg - 3x6
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x6 ... bodyweight
    2x5 ... plus 4.09kg (9lbs) ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x8
    85kg - 1x5
    110kg - 1x5
    117.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x10

Chin Ups
    3x7

Decline Situps w/5kg
    3x10
    ---
    Squat
    30kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    55kg - 3x6
    ---

Beltless and creatineless so far on this cycle.

Chins are a nice change from pull ups. Easy. Wanted to max out on the last set but restrained myself.

Monday July 26th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press ... close grip
    20kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    67.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    DB Bench ... close parallel grip
    25kg - 3x10 ... failed on last rep. Should have been 3x6's. Misread the sheet
    ---
    BB Curl
    40kg - 3x6
    ---
    Ez Bar Lying Tricep Extension
    35kg - 3x6 ... tough
    ---
    Deadlift
    40kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    70kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    70kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 3x6
    ---

Going to close grip bench for the rest of this cycle

I should clarify that light deadlift day = speed deadlift.

Got my lever belt over the weekend. Tried it out for the first time tonight. Messed about with a screwdriver to get it nice and tight. Hopefully it'll add 50kg to my total :pac:

The weekend was spent running the scoring and other bits and pieces at the Oz PL nationals here in Melbourne. Spent Friday night, all day Sat and Sun running about at weigh-ins getting rack heights, first attempts, bodyweights, etc and sorting out the IT stuff so scoring was visible on a number of screens through the warm up/audience/announcer/judging areas. Some great lifting included:
    • 330kg oz squat record in the <100kg mens category
    • blind bench press world record with second lift of 216kg, and pushed up further on third lift of 220kg in the <125kg category
    • junior <90kg commonwealth bench press record of 188kg on second lift, and then pushed it higher with 190kg on his final lift
    • 70 years+ male world deadlift record of 240kg. He did it first at 238kg on his second attempt but the correct judges (international) weren't in place so he had to go for it again on his final attempt. The lifter is over 80 years old!!
    • a number of female Australian records
    • a number of male 60-75kg Australian records
    • overall winner on Wilks points with a total of 940kg in the <125kg. He would be up close to 1000kg (one thousand!) if it wasn't for having to use a hook grip due to a bicep tear making a mixed grip impossible

There were 8 male lifters in my category- the <82.5kg's. Obviosuly I wasn't competing - merely plotting how much I'd need to be competitive and trying to figure out how long before I will be competitive. One guy bombed, so the top 7 total scores were as follows:
    1. 687.5
    2. 675
    3. 672.5
    4. 660
    5. 640
    6. 630
    7. 577.5

Adding my best lifts curently (132.5/92.5/165) gives me 390kg. To qualify based upon this years criteria I would need to add ~175kg to my total. The cut off is "B" grade. For the 82.5kg male this equates to 565kg.

Let's assume I manage to add 20kg to my total every 3 months. This would give me a total of 550kg in 2 years. I'm talking raw here. Then throw on a bench shirt and squat/deadlift suits and I may make up a bit more.

So, that is the target --> 20kg on my total every 3 months for the next 2 years. You heard it here first :cool:

Tuesday July 27th: @home

3 rounds of
    • 10 BW Squats
    • 10 Press Ups
    • 5 NG Chins
    ---
    Face Pulls
    23kg - 3x8

One DB Arm Row
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    25kg per arm - 1x8
    30kg per arm - 1x8
    ---
    Cross Trainer
    15 mins ~75 cals
    ---
    DB Seated Press
    20kg per arm - 3x8

DB Single Calf Raise
    20kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Felt good.

Thursday July 29th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    45kg - 1x3
    50kg - 3x6
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x5 ... bodyweight
    2x5 ... plus 3.5kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x8
    100kg - 1x5
    112.5kg - 1x3
    125kg - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x10

Chin Ups
    3x8

Decline Situps w/5kg
    3x10
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x3
    60kg - 3x6
    ---

Told the coach about my 2 year plan. He laughed.

• Advertisement

Friday July 30th: Physio & Testing wide (i.e normal grip) bench

Ultrasound & massage followed by:

Narrow Bench
    20kg 1x5

Wide Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    25kg - 1x5

No pec pain on the normal bench grip which is good. He advised running some deep heat into the pec prior to any wide bench for the next while, to warm it up a bit similar to how he warms it up with the ultra sound and massage.

Advertisement