Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Great stuff Boss!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday September 20th: @home

Swim 600m as follows:
    • 200m bs
    • 200m fc
    • 200m alternating
    ---

Easy swim to stretch out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Great stuff Boss!

Thanks Chimp!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Fair play on those PRs. You're what I'd be if I was 20kg lighter and had a better bench!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Looking great dude. You're making savage progress. Tonnes left on the squat too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Good work.

Here are some thoughts on training in no particular order. Best to note them down here before I forget.

A training buddy (whom I classify internally as my "nearest rival" i.e. similar bodyweight/size) deadlift 167.5kg when I deadlift 152.5kg back in my first comp in February. At Sunday's comp he deadlift 215kg when I did 170kg. His deadlift is going through the roof (he weighed in at 79kg on Sunday). He probably wouldn't take too kindly to me calling him a "nearest rival" as his deadlift is 45kg off in the distance. His bench is the same as mine (95kg) and his squat is a bit better (152.5kg in knee wraps). Anyway, he reckons a cycle of weighted chins/pull ups helped his deadlift, so I'm going to incorporate those going forwards. Previously I've been throwing in bodyweight pullup/chins as an after thought more than anything else. May have to put these on a separate day along with some other stuff - see below.

One arm row / kroc row - going to include these too for more upper back work. Ditto on the facepulls. Been a bit lax with the assistance recently. Double ditto on the ab work. Going to bring back the hanging leg raises and ab pull downs, on top of the lying twists.

Include plyometrics i.e. box jumps to build explosiveness. Just a couple of sets - I've seen a couple of steps in the main gym that I can use.

Bench 100kg…. I've worked out the base mesocycle for smolov and may just start running it tomorrow morning. Not sure if I can run the "intense" session afterwards as heading to Singapore again with work mid Oct. The first 3 weeks should fit in between now and then though, if I choose to do it.

If I go ahead with the above I'll have to hit the gym 4 days a week, vs the current 2 days a week plan. Hmmm - I quite like training just 2 days a week. Training more often will mean decreased recovery time, increased food intake… and more leanification (is that even a word?) for the summer.

May try something like the following (exact days will vary). Monday and Thursday will be the same as the past 8 months except I'll do 2 of the 4 smolov bench days on the usual Mon heavy bench / Thurs light bench days. The other two days will be the 3rd and 4th smolov bench sessions, along with weighted pull ups, heavy abs and upper back. I'll work out the specifics later.

Monday: Squat & Bench1
    Tuesday: Bench2 & Weighted Pull Up Cycle / extra Abs
    Thursday: Deadlift & Bench3
    Saturday: Bench4 & Upper Back (One Arm Row, Face Pulls)

Here is what the base mesocycle will look like, assuming 95kg as my 1RM:

Wk1:
    Mon 67kg - 4x9
    Wed 72kg - 5x7
    Fri 76kg - 7x5
    Sat 81kg - 10x3

Wk2:
    Mon 72kg - 4x9
    Wed 77kg - 5x7
    Fri 81kg - 7x5
    Sat 86kg - 10x3

Wk3:
    Mon 74.5kg - 4x9
    Wed 79.5kg - 5x7
    Fri 83.5kg - 7x5
    Sat 88.5kg - 10x3

Tuesday September 21st: @home

Shoulder Dislocates
    3x10

Band Pull Apart
    3x10
    ---
    Seated Shoulder Press
    10kg - 1x10
    15kg - 1x8
    20kg - 3x6

One Arm Row
    10kg - 1x10
    15kg - 1x8
    20kg - 3x6
    ---
    Pull Ups
    2x8 ... wide palms away
    1x6 - bodyweight +5kg ... wide neutral grip

Pull Down Abs
    full stack - 3x10
    ---
    Lat Pull Down
    10, 8, 6, 4, 2
    ---

Was in bits after that ^^. Must be all the supersets and whizzing through stuff. Generally my powerlifting training involves doing a set, sitting on a chair for 10 minutes, doing another set, sitting on a chair for another 10 minutes... etc.

Decided not to bother with smolov for bench. Had all the numbers worked out and was going to start tonight ... but saw sense. Don't have the time to commit 4 days to the gym right now. Would be stupid to change a program that has seen me make constant progress over the past 8 months and seen me hit pbs in everything on Sunday.

Friday September 24st: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x5 ... wide grip
    40kg - 1x5 ... wide grp
    50kg - 3x8 ... close grip
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x6 - no weight
    2x6 - with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x8
    75kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x5
    97.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    30 reps ... did them this way rather than 3x10. Harder setting so full sets of 10 were broken up as I rested at the top of some e.g. 8+2, 7+3
    ---
    Decline Situps
    2x10 - with 5kg
    1x10 - no weight
    ---
    Squat
    30kg ... aborted
    ---
    WG Pull Ups
    10 singles: bodyweight + 5kg
    10 singles: bodyweight + 10kg
    10 singles: bodyweight
    ---

First day back. New program up on the board which will see me reach the following in mid Nov for next competition:

Squat: 3x5 120kg & 2x2 cannot remember
    Bench: 3x5 83.5kg & 2x2 88.5kg
    Deadlift: 3x5 150kg & 2x2 160kg

Apparently the bench cycle will see me "peak twice". Need to find out exactly what that means. Starts off at 75kg 3x6 next Monday and gets up to 83.5kg... with lots of question marks in the intervening weeks. Someone was telling me that this means I ramp up to something heavy, then deload for a week and ramp up again. Interesting.

Was supposed to deadlift off blocks for this cycle starting tonight, but since no one in the know was around I didn't want to risk starting on them just yet. Probably Monday.

Stopped squatting after 1 rep. Sore right hip flexor from the strain of the last cycle. Wasn't supposed to squat today anyway as still deload.

Remember my new year goals set back in Jan? Well, they were 140/100/180. Hopefully I'll come close to them/hit them in Nov. Not too far off them right now... but it may be asking a lot to reach all 3 over the next 8 weeks. Let's see.

Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th September: @Mt.Buller

Snowboarding
    ---

Good laugh. High factor suncream didn't prevent me coming away from the mountain looking like I've just observed a nuclear explosion up close and personal.

Hamstrings were in bits all weekend following the Glute Ham Raise on Friday night. It was the second last weekend of the season so everything was discounted and the runs weren't too crowded. Snow was still there and conditions were good. Perfect time for it.

Only stacked it once or twice all weekend. Turns were pretty handy which I'll put down to a properly fitted board. Nothing like snowboarding in Europe though. Gumtrees and snow just look wrong together!

• Advertisement

Monday September 27th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press
    40kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x5
    67.5kg - 1x5
    75kg - 3x6 ... handy enough
    ---
    BB Curl
    30kg - 3x10
    ---
    DB Bench
    27.5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Straight Bar Lying Tricep Extension
    30kg - 1x6 ... too heavy for 10 reps
    22.5kg - 2x10 ... better
    ---
    Deadlift
    30kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    Squat
    40kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    72.5kg - 3x8
    ---

Good session. Bench 3x6 felt comfy. Happy enough to get 3x10 with the 27.5kg dbs.

Deads and Squat were pretty light. Got a mini massage on my right hip flexor for my physio training buddy. Painful but it seemed to relieve some tightness and the 2nd and 3rd top sets felt better. May go and get a proper massage soon to loosen it up. He showed me a couple of stretches and ways to manipulate the hip flexor, plus recommened 1x30 reps on clams prior to squatting. Aim is to fix dormant glutes.

The same fellow gave me top three tips to increase my bench (he benches 152.5kg equipped at bw 82.5kg):

1) More arch
    2) Get more dynamic i.e. speed / explosiveness
    3) Pull the bar apart on the way down and up

We had a conversation about bodyweight too. He competes in my category i.e. 82.5kg.... but trains at a bodyweight way higher than mine and cuts off lots of weight coming into comps. He recommends training at 4% above the weight category, so something like 85/86kg would be ideal for me. Right now he is 90kg at the same height and body shape as myself. This is useful info. Now I know that I don't necessarily have to be fat to be 5 foot 7 and 90kg (this dude is a tank and won the 82.5kg category at this years Oz nationals. He's a few kg over normal training weight 'cos he isn't competing for a while).

He reckons that my current weight is smack back in the middle: I can either stay at 80kg and cut to 75kg for a comp.... or gradually add a kg per cycle (slow muscle gain, no fat) until I get to 85kg and stay(i.e. cut in days before comp) in the 82.5kgs. Think I'd rather get to 85kg and stay in the 82.5kgs.

This is all useful info. Right now I'll file it away and concentrate on getting stronger. The niceties of making weight can come later ... once I too am a tank :pac:

Thursday September 30th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    40kg - 1x6
    45kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    55kg - 3x6
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x6 - no weight
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    30 reps
    ---
    Decline Situps
    3x10 - with 5kg
    ---
    Squat
    30kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    45kg - 1x3
    50kg - 3x6
    ---
    WG Pull Ups
    10 singles: bodyweight + 5kg
    10 singles: bodyweight + 10kg
    10 singles: bodyweight
    ---

Nothing much to report. Everything light except GHR and WG Pull Ups. Hoping to bring these use early in the cycle to help out on the big 3 towards the end.

Monday October 4th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 3x5 ... easy enough
    ---
    BB Curl
    30kg - 3x10
    ---
    DB Bench
    27.5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Straight Bar Lying Tricep Extension
    22.5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    65kg - 1x5
    67.5kg - 1x3
    70kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x6 & *Clams 1x25 per side*
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    85kg - 3x6
    ---

Bench good. Everything else light.

Twisted feet out a bit and took a slightly wider stance on 2nd and 3rd deadlift sets as the bar was killing my shins & knees. That helped.

Belt was waaaayyyy too tight on squats. Still have it in a notch from the last competition. Need to let it out before next time in the gym. Nearly squeezed my guts out a certain orifice at the bottom of one squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

BossArky wrote: »
    Nearly squeezed my guts out a certain orifice at the bottom of one squat.

I though that's how you can tell when you're doing it right?

Thursday October 8th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    40kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x3
    60kg - 3x6
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x6 - no weight
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    117.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    18 reps
    ---
    Decline Situps
    1x10 - with 5kg
    2x6 - with 5kg
    ---
    Squat
    40kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x3
    60kg - 3x6
    ---
    WG Pull Ups
    8 singles: bodyweight + 7.5kg
    8 singles: bodyweight + 12.5kg
    8 singles: bodyweight
    ---
    Face Pulls
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    Foam Rolling ~7 mins
    Back / Lats / Hams / Quads / IT Band
    ---
    Stretching Station ~15mins
    mainly Calves and Hams
    ---

First time wearing shorts to training in maybe 4 or 5 months. Big mistake. Knees killing me after deadlifts. Coach commented on my deadlift "you are doing it backwards" and "it is almost an illegal lift". He reckons I'm leaning back too soon before it clears my knees, causing it to hop off them under the knee cap on the way up, then rest over the knee cap before it continues up. I think he's exaggaerating about it being an illegal lift, but point taken. I have the bruises. Didn't enjoy deadlifting at all.

Added more weight to the WG Pull Ups and reduced the reps by a couple, so I'm still moving the same weight on the heavy sets as last week, but just over fewer reps. Will keep the same weight and rep scheme for next week, then less reps/higher weight for the week after. Singles feeling pretty easy.

Added lots of stretching to the end. Always getting calve cramps after training. Need to get a bit more flexible.

Going to Singapore next week so training days will be moved around a bit. Probably Sunday/Friday instead of Monday/Thursday.

Sunday October 10th: Heavy Bench (volume week 1 of 4) & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Incline Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    65kg - 3x8
    ---
    Decline Bench
    65kg - 3x8
    ---
    DB Bench
    27.5kg per arm - 3x8

BB Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    Seated DB Shoulder Press
    17.5kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Lying Straight Bar Tricep Extension
    22.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Bird-dogs
    2x10 per side
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    50kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    75kg - 3x6
    ---
    Clams
    2x10 per side
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    95kg - 3x6
    ---
    Face Pulls
    25kg - 3x8
    ---
    Foam Rolling ~3 mins
    Quads, Hams, IT band, Upper Back
    ---

The next four weeks are marked as "?" on my bench programme. Coach confirmed last Thursday that this means "do whatever you want 'cos it's going to be too heavy anyway..." and "if you've still got a torn pec this will snap it right off".

Basically I've got a choice. I can do the bodybuilding style volume programme (which I did from April to June and tore my left pec with) or I could go for the 6x3 intensity programme. I opted for the volume programme again (see above). Way more conservative this time around though, and making sure that I don't injure myself again. Target is to do all the 5 pressing exercises with the aim being to fail at 8 reps each time. Didn't fail any of them today. May stick with the same weights next week and then increase for the 3rd and 4th weeks where the aim is to fail at 6.

Some pump.

Squat was good. I'll put that down to being better warmed up from the bird-dogs and clams. High flexor was still sore before gym, but didn't bother me during the squats. May head to a physio once I return from Singapore.

Monday October 11th:

Swim ~15 mins
    ---

Was swimming around in one of two circular pools at my hotel in Singapore. The pool had a radius of about 5 metres. There was a buoy bobbing in the middle which informed me that the depth was 18(!) metres. This freaked me out, as I'd just come down from the 58th floor where I was dealing with vertigo issues.

So, I backpedalled and decided to just swim a few loops around the edge. Did this for 10 minutes before deciding to test if the middle really was 18 metres. Bobbed up and down hopping towards the middle like a drunken water kangaroo, until eventually it was over my head.... to a depth of 1.8 metres, not 18. Looks like the water had washed off the decimal point. LOL.

Wednesday October 13th:

Swim ~20 mins
    ---

Friday October 16th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Bench
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x4
    55kg - 3x8
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x6 - no weight
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    90kg - 1x5
    110kg - 1x3
    125kg - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    18 reps
    ---
    Decline Situps
    3x6 - with 5kg
    ---
    Squat
    40kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    65kg - 3x6
    ---
    WG Pull Ups
    8 singles: bodyweight + 7.5kg
    8 singles: bodyweight + 12.5kg
    8 singles: bodyweight
    ---

Deadlifts were draining. Only ate 3 eggs and a tablespoon of peanut butter in the 24 hours beforehand. Bit of a headache too.

Everything else was fine.

Monday October 18th: Heavy Bench (volume week 2 of 4) & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Incline Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    67.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Decline Bench
    67.5kg - 3x8 ... failed on last rep of 2nd set. Rest were ok.
    ---
    DB Bench
    27.5kg per arm - 8f, 4f, 6f

BB Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    Seated DB Shoulder Press
    17.5kg per arm - 8f, 6f, 6f
    ---
    22.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    70kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    85kg - 3x6 ... should have been 80kg
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    92.5kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    102.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    Face Pulls
    30kg - 3x8
    ---
    Foam Rolling ~3 mins
    ---

Done by 9pm.

In other news - I was elected VP of our club at Friday's AGM.

• Advertisement

Thursday October 21st: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    55kg - 3x8
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x6 - no weight
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    100kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    120kg - 1x3
    132.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    18 reps
    ---
    Decline Situps
    3x6 - with 5kg
    ---
    Squat
    40kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 3x6
    ---
    WG Pull Ups
    6 singles: bodyweight + 10kg
    6 singles: bodyweight + 15kg
    6 singles: bodyweight
    ---

Doing the WG Pull Ups in the main gym (sans chalk) has the palms ripped off me.

Deadlift = knees destroyed with bruises. Got some tips on my setup. Apparently I'm sitting back too much with my shoulders behind the bar. Need to keep a bit more upright.

New protein mixes great.

It's sunny.

Monday October 25th: Heavy Bench (volume week 3 of 4) & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    40kg - 1x6
    55kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    81kg - 3x6 ... aiming to fail at 6. Easy. No fail. Maybe a pb?
    87.5kg - 3, 2, 2 ... aiming to fail at 3. Second set was a definite fail on the last rep, third set I think I had it but spotter touched
    ---
    DB Bench ... aiming to fail at 6
    30kg per arm - 1x6
    32.5kg per arm - 6f, 5f ... increased dbs as first set seemed easy at 30kg
    ---
    Seated DB Shoulder Press
    20kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    27.5kg - 3x6

BB Curl
    30kg - 3x8
    ----
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    70kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x3
    80kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    95kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    107.5kg - 3x6
    ---

That took 2.75 hours! 6:30pm - 9:15pm. Jaysus.

Drank a 2 litre of milk between 1-5pm. Had a tin of tuna around 5:45pm, and some peanut butter around 4pm. Lots of cals on top of a Japanese chicken curry for lunch. It paid off for bench --> probably my best ever benching performance.

Deadlift - I sorted out my setup and it felt better. My knees survived minimal bruising. Keeping shoulders alot further fowards has them directly over the bar.

Squat - first set felt like a punch in the guts with the belt placement. Second set was strong. Third was a bit more shakey. Nowhere near failing though.

Skipped the facepulls as needed to go home and eat / fall down.

Good session.

edit - and oh I wore a wife beater. Perfect weather for it.

BossArky wrote: »

Bench Press
    81kg - 3x6 ... aiming to fail at 6. Easy. No fail. Maybe a pb?

Yeah - checking back shows that the above 81kg for 3x6 is a pb. I've done a lot of weights/reps in and around that but never fully clean with no spotter touch. Back on May 10th I did 82.5kg for 6, 6f, 5f on the way to tearing a pec.

Hmmm... need to get a move on with this bench progress. Will aim for something like this over the remaining weeks of the cycle:
    • 82kg - 3x6
    • 83kg - 3x5
    • 84kg - 3x5
    • 90kg paused - 2x2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Clams???

Are you asking what they are or suggesting I do more of them?

What they are --> pretend you are a dog and cock your leg. Aim to use just the glute rather than ham/other muscles. Similar to fire hydrant except you don't kick back.

Those exercises have such great names: clams, bird-dogs, fire hydrants....

Thursday October 21st: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    45kg - 1x2
    55kg - 3x5
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x5 - no weight
    2x5 - with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    120kg - 1x2
    140kg - 3x5 ... easy
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    18 reps
    ---
    Decline Situps
    3x6 - with 5kg
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    65kg - 1x2
    70kg - 3x5
    ---
    WG Pull Ups
    6 singles: bodyweight + 10kg
    6 singles: bodyweight + 15kg
    6 singles: bodyweight
    ---
    Face Pulls
    20kg - 1x8
    25kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x8
    ---
    Foam Rolling ~5 mins
    ---

Deadlift was easy. Modified technique made the 140kg 3x5 feel 10kgs lighter than last weeks 132.5kg 3x6. It looked better too.

Hit the gym scales as 85.85kg! Very hydrated. The extra 2l of milk each afternoon seems to be helping energy levels / bodyweight.

Right pec felt a bit tight after close grip bench. Should warm up a bit more.

Monday November 1st: Heavy Squat

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x2
    *belt*
    112.5kg - 3x5
    ---

Spent the past few days in South Australia visiting Adelaide and Kangaroo Island (yep - real name). 2240 km roudtrip. Made it back in time for squats which were ok, given that I had been sitting in a car for 9 hours immediately beforehand. Bench and deadlift will wait until tomorrrow.

Bodyweight on gym scales 85.65kg. 2litres of milk have been my friend in the car.

Tuesday November 2nd: Heavy Bench (volume week 4 of 4), Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    82.5kg - 3x6 ... aiming to fail at 6. Fail on very last rep. Sooooooo close. Thought I had it. Pb
    90kg - 3x3 forced reps, of which totally clean reps (i.e. no spotter touch) were 1, 2, 2. Aiming to fail at 3.
    ---
    BB Curl
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 2x8
    ----
    DB Bench ... aiming to fail at 6
    32.5kg per arm - 1x6f
    30kg per arm - 6, 5f
    ---
    Seated DB Shoulder Press
    20kg per arm - 3x6 ... fail on last rep
    ---
    30kg - 3x6
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x2
    85kg - 3x5
    ---
    Face Pulls
    25kg - 3x8

Foam Rolling ~5 mins
    ---

That took forever. At least 1hr for the bench 3x6 + 3x3. Thankfully another bench volume programme has finished. I feel I've gained from it. Additional bodyweight and strength seems to have improved.

Thursday November 4th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    35kg - 1x3
    50kg - 1x2
    55kg - 3x5
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x5 - no weight
    2x5 - with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    105kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    125kg - 1x2
    145kg - 3x5 ... ok. Equals or is a pb
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x6
    ---
    Decline Situps
    3x6 - with 5kg
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    75kg - 3x5
    ---
    Lats
    5 singles: Pull Ups: bodyweight + 10kg
    5 singles: Chin Ups: bodyweight + 20kg
    5 singles: Pull Ups: bodyweight
    ---

87kg on the gym scales. Stuffed and hyper hydrated.

145kg 3x5 deadlift was good. First two sets fine. Last set a bit ropey but got through them without going full throttle.

Me = stronger.

• Advertisement

Checking back shows that the 145kg 3x5 deadlift above ^^ equals what I did on Aug 21st on the 3rd last week of 3x5s in the last cycle

Also... other 3x5s towards the end of last cycle went as follows:

- Aug 26th I did 149 x2, x3 *fall apart*, followed by 130 - 2x5
    - Sept 2nd I did 147.5 x4, x3 *fall apart*, followed by 140 x5 and 130 x6.

This means that when I do 150kg 3x5 next week I'll be in unchartered territority.

Advertisement