Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday November 7th: @MSAC

Swimming ~1hr
    ---

Went to the Melbourne Sports and Acquatic Centre. It's massive: diving boards, kiddies pools, outdoor pool, indoor pool... and the centre piece being the 50m comp pool.

Worked on teaching my parents how to front crawl in the 30m pool. Did a couple of lengths in the 50m pool afterwards. Acted like a scum missile on the slide. Tired afterwards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday November 8th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    50kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    72kg - 1x2
    83.5kg - 3x5 ... Easy pb
    ---
    BB Curl
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 2x8
    ----
    DB Bench
    32.5kg per arm - 3x5 ... another pb here
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    95kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x2
    *belt*
    116.5kg - 3x5
    ---
    Lying Straight Bar Tricep Extension
    20kg - 1x5
    30kg - 3x5
    ---
    Face Pulls
    25kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x8
    35kg - 1x8
    ---

Bench was easy. Extra bodyweight and the 4 week volume programme did their job.

From here on out it's going to be pbs the next week of deadlift/squat/bench, which happens to be the final 3x5s of the cycle before going to 2x2s, then comp.

Thursday November 11th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    30kg - 1x5
    45kg - 1x3
    55kg - 1x2
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Lying Twists
    1x5 - no weight
    2x5 - with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x1
    135kg - 1x1
    *belt*
    150kg - 3x5 ... handy enough pb
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x5

Decline Situps
    3x5 - with 5kg
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    75kg - 3x5
    ---
    Lats
    5 singles: Pull Ups: bodyweight + 10kg
    5 singles: Chin Ups: bodyweight + 20kg
    5 singles: Pull Ups: bodyweight
    ---

Delighted with the deadlift pb. Very satisfying to end the cycle without breaking down like last time. Makes the past 2 months of effort worthwhile!

Bodyweight of 86.5kg before training, on the gym scales. 86kg afterwards. Around 84kg in the mornings when just out of bed. Bodyweight looking good to be within easy reach of 82.5kg for 2.5 weeks time.

Forgot to mention I took a mini chuck of skin off my right knee deadlifting on Thursday night. Blood came through tracksuit bottoms. Totally superficial though and shins/knees are a lot happier now that I'm avoiding them with the bar most of the time.

As mentioned in the off topic thread I managed to tear the right arm off my shirt when scratching my head in work the other day. How cool is that? When talking to randomers they usually only care what you bench. The only thing that can impress them more than a big bench is when someones bicep bursts out of their sleeve when scratching their head in work. Probably the peak of my fitness career.

Had to go out and buy an emergency back up pair of trousers today. Going to Singapore tomorrow after training and I'm afraid that the ar$e of my pants is going to go the same way as shirt sleeve in the middle of a presentation up there. My backside looks like a ledge sticking out behind me. Can crack eggs off it. Must be all the milk combined with deadlifting and squatting twice each week. The problem is not the waist line which is not bet on to me, but the part an inch or two lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

nicccce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

BossArky wrote: »
    Forgot to mention I took a mini chuck of skin off my right knee deadlifting on Thursday night. Blood came through tracksuit bottoms. Totally superficial though and shins/knees are a lot happier now that I'm avoiding them with the bar most of the time.

As mentioned in the off topic thread I managed to tear the right arm off my shirt when scratching my head in work the other day. How cool is that? When talking to randomers they usually only care what you bench. The only thing that can impress them more than a big bench is when someones bicep bursts out of their sleeve when scratching their head in work. Probably the peak of my fitness career.

Had to go out and buy an emergency back up pair of trousers today. Going to Singapore tomorrow after training and I'm afraid that the ar$e of my pants is going to go the same way as shirt sleeve in the middle of a presentation up there. My backside looks like a ledge sticking out behind me. Can crack eggs off it. Must be all the milk combined with deadlifting and squatting twice each week. The problem is not the waist line which is not bet on to me, but the part an inch or two lower.

I too have a massive fat arse.

*Hai Five*

:pac:

Sunday November 14th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    50kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    75kg - 1x2
    85kg - 3x5 ... pb. Not too hard
    ---
    BB Curl
    20kg - 3x8
    ----
    DB Bench
    32.5kg per arm - 3x5
    ---
    20kg - 3x5
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    97.5kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    110kg - 1x2
    120kg - 3x5 ... pb
    ---
    Face Pulls
    22.5kg - 1x8

Foam Rolling ~5 mins
    Quads, Hams, IT band, Upper Back
    ---

Double pb day. Bench = easy. Squat = tougher as lower back in bits from Thursday. Could really have done with the extra day off, but work trip to Singapore forcing me to train a day earlier. Nearly failed on the 2nd warmup of the squat. Got it together though and ground out the worksets once I put the belt on.

Pretty happy to have made it through the Big 3 without missing a rep this cycle. Going to have a bit of a deload now, maybe just some swimming... then 2x2 Deads in 6 days on Saturday, followed by 2x2 Bench & Squat Monday week.... before proper deload and comp.

Wednesday November 17th: Singapore

Swim ~20 mins
    ---

Public holiday in SG so went to the beach and swam in a nearby open air pool.

Thursday November 18th: Singapore - Hotel Gym

Close Grip Bench
    bar (20kg?) - 1x5 ... assuming bar = 20kg
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Light stuff & enjoying messing around
    • Sit Ups 3x10
    • Leg Extension 3x10
    • Lat Pull Down 3x10
    • Lying Prone Leg Curl 3x10
    • GHR / Hyper 3x10
    • Curls 3x8
    • Lateral Raise 3x8
    • Calf Raise ~5x12
    • Face Pulls 3x8
    • External Rotation 3x8
    ---
    Rowing 10 mins
    ---
    Swim ~10 mins
    ---

Writing this 3 days after that ^^. Can barely walk. Totally overdid it on the calf raise machine working up to sets of additional 100lbs. Think I strained both calves, the left one more so. Right now it is swollen up to the size of my head. Cool machine though! Hope that my calves recover ok so that I can 1) walk and 2) do my squat doubles tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Saturday November 20th: @home in Melb

Swim ~25 mins
    ---

Many lengths of bs and fc. Used my paddles (things to increase the surface area of your hand) on 4 of the fc lengths. Great traction in the water with them. The fc lengths without them afterwards feel like you have shifted down a heap of gears - way easier. Makes you pay attention to hand position and stroke.

Sunday November 21st: @home

Swim ~25 mins
    ---

Messing around fc, bs and fc with paddles. Calves in absolute ribbons. Could barely walk Saturday and Sunday. Had to go around the house on tippy toes. LOL - it looked like I was trying to sneak up on people.

As I write this on Monday morning they have recovered somewhat i.e. I can stand up with only severe pain. Hoping that I will be able to get squats in later.

Monday November 22nd: Heavy Bench & Squat, "Moderate" Deadlift

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    75kg - 1x1
    82.5kg - 1x1
    90kg - 2x2 ... *paused* pb... failed on 2nd rep of first set, but got both reps on 2nd set. First set failure was down to coach taking the piss and holding out for about 4 seconds before the "press" command
    ---
    "Moderate" Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    *told to switch from speed deads to moderate weight as skipped heavy doubles last Thursday due to Singapore trip*
    100kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    120kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    97.5kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    110kg - 1x1
    120kg - 1x1
    130kg - 2x2 ... pb
    ---

Lots of good news today:

1) My calves were still really painful but I could manage to train

2) Squat pb wasn't too hard

3) Bench pb wasn't too hard

4) The new weight classes take effect immediately which means I'll be competing in the 83kg class next Sunday, not 82.5kg

5) Bodyweight 84.25kg in the gym fully clothed after a day eating and drinking moderately

6) Bodyweight 83.5kg ish after training, so pretty close to correct weight right now without having to starve myself

7) Really sunny and 32 degrees

8) When trying to describe to a colleague the difference between weight-lifting and powerlifting I used the analogy that the 100m and 400m are both foot races, but different events. She replied seriously "oh, so you pick it up and run around?" :pac:

So, now is about the time I make predictions on how I'll get on in the comp. My previous comp pbs are 135/95/170. I am thinking about going for the following (based upon best 3x5s of 120/85/150:

Squat: 132.5 / 140 / ?
    Bench: 92.5 / 97.5 / 100
    Deadlift: 155 / 165 / 175 or 160 / 170 / 180

Wednesday November 24th:

Swim 400m as follows:
    • 80 bs
    • 80 fc
    • 80 bs
    • 80 fc
    • 80 bs
    ---

Easy post work swim to loosen up. Took my paddles with me but forgot to use them.

Bodyweight 82.something kg after work & before swim. 81.9kg after swim. Bodyweight has dropped a lot. Should be fine for Sunday. Now just want to ensure I don't loose too much. Suprised at how much has fallen off by just not stuffing myself and reverting to a "normal" volume of food. edit - just checked. I was 87kg on the evening of Nov 4th, so approx 5kg bodyweight drop in 20 days.

Still walking the 5km round trip to/from work each weekday.

Calves still a bit sore.

Thursday November 25th: Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    55kg - 1x1
    57.5kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 3x5
    ---
    Decline Situps
    2x10
    ---
    Foam Rolling ~5 mins
    Quads, Hams, IT band, Upper Back
    ---

Bodyweight after training on the gym scales fully clothed = 84kg.
    Bodyweight 30 mins later at home fully clothed = 83.8kg.
    Bodyweight the next morning in boxers = 82.6kg.

Gym scales are accurate. Wanted to weigh myself on the home scales in exactly the same clothing to see what the difference between the two scales is. Answer = ~150 to 200g. So, I should be fine for Sunday.

Sunday November 28th: Raw Powerlifting Competition "Victorian Extravaganza" Hawthorn, Melbourne.

Got to the venue early and was 2nd to weigh in right on 8am. Bodyweight 81.7kg in boxers. Successfully dropped from high 87kgs to high 81kgs in 2 weeks. Looking good.

I started eating more on Saturday (day before comp) to ensure I had some energy, vs the week beforehand where I had been tapering down. Stopped drinking water around 8:30pm the night before and had two lemons which were sour as hell. Did they work as a diuretic? Not sure - all I know is that I went to bed 84kg and after numerous toilet breaks and no breakfast weighed in at 81.7kg in boxers at the venue. Comfortably under the 83kg revised weigh category for the first IPF Raw powerlifting competition in Australia.

Found out that the 14 year old son of the strongest man in Oz was participating today in his first competition (you have to be at least 14 to compete). Met him in the changing rooms and the first thing that struck my was the size of his quads (not that I'm checking out 14 year olds in the locker rooms). He was supposed to be in my category (sub 83kg), but weighed in at 84kg something, which bumped him up to the 93kgs. He opened up with a 140kg squat, then failed 150kg twice on depth. Some tank. His Dad later went on to bench 300kg at 129kg bodyweight (the first 300kg bench press in Powerlifting Australia history).

Given that this was the first Raw competition a lot of unheard of lifters came out of the woodwork. There were 5 or 6 in the new 83kg category, myself included. It ended up being pretty exciting as a few of us were in and around the same level, and I wasn't totally left behind vs equipped lifters which has been the case in the past.

Warms Ups went like this:
    Squat: 60kg x5, 85kg x2, 105kg x1, 120kg x1
    Bench: 60kg x5, 75kg x2, 85kg paused x1
    Deadlift: 60kg x5, 100kg x2, 125kg x1, 145kg x1

Competition lifts went like this:
    Squat
    #1: 132.5kg
    #2: 140kg ... 5kg pb
    #3: 145kg ... fail. Spotter caught it too early on right so I got a retake 4th attempt
    #4: 145kg ... fail

Bench
    #1: 92.5kg
    #2: 97.5kg ... 2.5kg pb
    #3: 100kg ... fail

Deadlift
    #1: 162.5kg
    #2: 175kg ... 5kg pb
    #3: 180kg ... fail

First two squats were comfy enough. Pleased with the 140kg for a 5kg pb. 145kg on the 3rd lift was a bit of a stab in the dark. Totally dive bombed it, so the right-side squatter caught it early towards the bottom. I was given a retake at the end of the round, which ended up with me in the spotters arms. Haven't watched the video yet but don't think I was anywhere close to getting it.

Slightly tweaked my neck during 3rd or 4th squats. I think it was more a "whiplash" type injury when my training buddy was hammering me on the back when chalking up beforehand. Neck was slightly sore all through bench and deadlifts and made keeping chest up a bit more difficult. Didn't effect lifting though, just range of motion looking around afterwards.

Bench was fine. 92.5kg was a handy opener. 97.5kg moved slowly but I was always going to lock it out for a 2.5kg pb. 100kg wasn't going anywhere fast. Held it for a few seconds an inch or two off chest on the way up, then got spotters to take it. That was the first time ever having 100kg in my hands on the bench.

Deadlift - I was stuffed doing the warm ups. By this stage I had consumed something like the following since weigh in:

- shake of porridge, whey, water
    - 4 boiled eggs
    - 3 bananas
    - 2 to 3 powerade sports drinks
    - 2 to 3 "Mother" energy drinks
    - half bag of jelly beans

First deadlift of 162.5kg wasn't great but no major probs. A training partner recommended I go for 172.5kg on the 2nd attempt to lock in the pb. I overruled him as I knew I had just one more decent lift in me and wanted at least 175kg. Got it for the 5kg pb. 3rd attempt was 180kg which came off the floor I think, ... then the centre judge split in two as I went cross eyed from the effort ... and dropped it.

Ended up with a total of 412.5kg which is a 12.5kg total pb on the comp two months ago. I finished 3rd out of 5 or 6 in the 83kg category, so got to pick up a nice shiney bronze medal. First guy totalled 447.5kg, second was 437.5kg and third was moi with 412.5kg.

After the deadlifts I reweighed myself to see how much I had gained since the post weigh in re-feed --> 3kg... I was back up to 84kg.

You may remember that my new years resolutions from Jan 2010 were to hit 140/100/180 by year end. Well, for the moment I'll take 1 out of 3 and get the others next time. Got to attempt both 100kg bench and 180kg deadlift. I can finish the competition year knowing there was nothing else left in the tank.

Next competition is in Feb 2011, so I will start a new 3 month cycle next Thursday.

It was a good day. Constant improvement feels great.

edit - videos later when I can move...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

'gratz on the comp!! Looks like successful one :D

Good work there Boss.

Thanks everyone. Feeling sore today.

Here's the video. Brutal angle on most squat and bench attempts.

Monday November 29th: @home

Foam Rolling ~5 mins
    Quads, Hams, Upper Back

• Advertisement

Tuesday November 30th:

Hill Sprints
    5 x 100m?
    ---

Did the sprints in the Sidney Myer music bowl. Nice steep gradient.

I've recovered slightly from Sunday. Enough to notice that my elbows are both pretty sore when I get to within a couple of inches of scratching my nose with either hand. Maybe that's from the heavy squats.

Thursday December 2nd: Heavy Deadlift

Lying Twist
    no weight - 3x6
    ---
    Deadlift (off 2 inch block)
    60kg - 1x10
    80kg - 1x10
    90kg - 3x10
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x6

Decline Situps
    3x10
    ---
    Pull Ups
    3x5
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    10kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Deadlifts for high reps off blocks nearly killed me. Felt like I was running 400m laps. Will be doing these for the first 6 weeks of this program.

Found out I qualified for new years Raw nationals in April 2011 by posting a total on Sunday. One year earlier than planned so I'll still be sh!te, but something exciting to look forward to.

Started new program as above, aiming for competition on Feb 13th. Everything light even though it was the usual Thursday = "heavy" deads day. I'll be doing the bodybuilding style bench program again which has given me 2.5kg for each of the last two cycles.

edit - bodyweight was 82 dot something kg fully clothed after training on gym scales.

Saturday December 4th:

Hill Sprints
    6 x Sidney Myer Music Bowl
    ---

Roasting today - 30 degrees at the start of summer.

Monday December 6th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    50kg - 1x6
    65kg - 1x6
    75kg - 3x6
    ---
    BB Curl
    20kg - 3x10

DB Bench
    25kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    Speed Deadlift (off 2 inch block)
    50kg - 1x10
    55kg - 1x10
    60kg - 3x10
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x10
    65kg - 3x10
    ---

Easy day. Quads a bit tired after 100 reps combo over squats and deads from block.

New program will peak with the following towards the end of January:
    • sq 130kg 3x5
    • bp 86kg 3x5 ... will probably adjust this upwards as last cycle ended on 85kg 3x5 which felt fine
    • dl 160kg 3x5

In fact the month/new year will start with a bang and ramp up quickly. Probably going to start drinking lots of milk again towards mid Dec and gain some weight to help.

Feeling good.

Thursday December 2nd: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    Lying Twist
    no weight - 2x6
    ball between ankles - 1x6
    ---
    Deadlift (off 2 inch block)
    60kg - 1x8
    75kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x5
    102.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x8

Pull Ups
    3x8
    ---
    Decline Situps
    3x10
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    15kg per arm - 3x10

Squat
    30kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x8
    42.5kg - 1x8
    45kg - 3x8
    ---

Monday December 13th: Heavy Bench (volume week 1 of 6) & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Incline Bench
    20kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x5
    65kg - 3x8
    ---
    Decline Bench
    65kg - 3x8
    ---
    DB Bench
    27.5kg per arm - 3x8 ... failed on last rep of 3rd set, which is fine
    ---
    BB Curl
    22.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    22.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Speed Deadlift (off 2 inch block)
    50kg - 1x8
    55kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    65kg - 3x8
    ---
    Seated DB Shoulder Press
    17.5kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x8
    65kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x8
    80kg - 3x8
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    17.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Started the volume program again which will see me bench 100kg in Feb! Need to eat more starting now. Bodyweight has been 81.8kg the past couple of mornings, so taking that as a creatineless, non milk bloated, not totally stuffed bodyweight base for this cycle. This third attempt at the volume program will be over 6 weeks, like the first time I did it. I used the first week weights from the second attempt (only 4 weeks) for starters. This means the 2nd week should be ok on 67.5kgs, but the 3rd week on 70kg 3x8s will be tougher. Will then have a think about the weights for the 4th, 5th and 6th weeks of 3x6s.

Squat and Deadlift were light, beltless and a bit tiring in a breathless way.

Other news which I haven't mentioned in my log yet --> Wifey is pregnant :D

This morning was our second ultrasound at week 20. It's a healthy little girl. Very excited! Due to arrive early May 2011.

I had been thinking about kiddie toys such as Lego / toy trains / etc (i.e. my experience as a child). Now it is going to be ponies, tea sets and dolls houses.

Delighted!

It's going to be a busy next year:
    • Feb - competition
    • April - raw nationals
    • May - baby girl arrives
    • May onwards ....????

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Congratulations Boss!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES