Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i'd suggest going 165/105/195... just try it :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday September 15th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    40kg - 1x5 ... wide grip
    70kg - 3x5 ... pb (not that it matters - it's supposed to be easy which it is) close grip

Lying Twist
    bodyweight - 3x5
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    130kg - 1x1
    145kg - 1x1
    160kg - 1x5 ... first set tough but ok
    160kg - 1x3f ...second set brutal. Actually failed the first rep, then reset and got 3 ish before failing. Back not recovered and hurts
    160kg - n/a ... third set I didn't bother with. No point in aggravating strained back
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    2x10

Lat Pull Down (wide grip)
    Setting 8 (i.e. easy) - 2x10
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm - 2x5 ... light weight but akward with sore lower back
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 3x5 ... light weight but akward with sore lower back
    ---
    Abs
    feet up on bench - 2x10
    ---

Really shouldn't have deadlift. Back was only 90% ish recovered from last weeks' strain and still felt tweaked. 160kg 3x5 - 1st set was tough. 2nd set was brutal. 3rd set I didn't bother with. Not going to bother with heavy deadlifts until it feels 100%, even if that means missing heavy deads for the next couple of weeks. Cannot make any progress if injured, so no point risking it.

On the plus side --> managing 160kg x5 on the first set with at a lower bodyweight than last cycle (85kg vs 88kg ish) with an injured lower back means I'm stronger.

On the minus side --> AGGGGHHHHH! Everything else was painful afterwards --> db rows and squats, so had to be careful. Slightly frustrating to invest 3 months of training and then to get an injury which screws things up at the peak. Maybe my deadlift form is just too brutal for heavy sets of 5s. Perhaps triples, doubles or singles would be a better way for me to go.

After the Perth Oct competition I'm going to aim for either a comp on Nov 27 in Melb or Dec 3rd in Syd to round off my year and hopefully secure the nationals qualifiying total.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Parsley wrote: »
    i'd suggest going 165/105/195... just try it :pac:

Maybe :pac:

Monday September 19th: Heavy Bench & Squat

Bench
    60kg – 1x5
    72.5kg – 1x3
    82.5g – 1x2
    91kg – 3x5 ... 1kg pb on last cycle. Last rep on 2nd and 3rd set were slow but locked them out myself
    ---
    DB Bench
    20kg per arm – 2x10

One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm – 2x10
    ---
    EZ Curl
    18.5kg – 2 x10

EZ Lying Tricep
    18.5kg – 2x10
    ---
    Deadlift N/a ... didn't do any as lower back still tweaked
    ---
    Squat
    60kg – 1x5
    90kg – 1x3
    *belt*
    115kg – 1x2
    125kg – 1x1 ... felt heavy
    135kg – 0 :mad: , 1 after a brief rest but didn't bother attempting rest of set ... WTF? This should have been a tough 3x5... but failing on the 1st rep??? I managed 5, 4, 5 on 130kg last week. Must be the lower back
    125kg - 0 :mad: :mad: :mad: ... dropped 10kg to attempt 3x5 at 125kg but it was going nowhere
    ---

Bench was strong. Always good when you hit a pb.

Squat was terrible. Putting that epic fail down to my lower back which is still tweaked. Knew this coming into todays session but thought I'd get through it when warmed up. Wrong.

Took my belt in a notch and nearly sqeezed my guts out my ears on the last squat warm up on 125kg. Maybe too tight.

Wondering if I should just write off this cycle and skip the Oct 8th comp. A week off may be good for my lower back to recover. Starting a new cycle next week would give me 9 ish weeks before the next two comps in Melb/Syd... and a good chance of a decent cycle.

Hmmm.. decisions, decisions.

Thursday September 22nd: Light Bench

Close Grip Bench
    40kg - 1x6 ... wide grip
    70kg - 3x5 ... close grip

Lat Pull Down (wide grip)
    Setting 8 (i.e. easy) - 1x10
    Setting 10 (moderate) - 1x10
    Setting 12 (heavier but handy) - 1x10
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (with thin band help)
    2x5
    ---

No Deadlift or Squat due to lower back. Still feels a bit sore. Didn't want to aggravate it any more. Should be fine in a couple more days with rest.

Some Lat Pull Downs instead of One Arm Rows to take the strain off lower back.

Used thin band to help on the GHR, for the sake of mixing it up. Doing GHR cold without deadlifting before feels weird and harder.

I've knocked up a new program which will take me from next week (Monday or Thursday depending on when lower back feels up to it) to the Melb/Syd comps at the end of year.

Thinking about doing bench only in the Oct Perth comp. Bench will attempt 92.5kg 3x5 on Monday for another pb, so no point in scrapping the bench part of the current cycle just yet. Will go easy on deadlift and squat in early days of new cycle, hammer some new assistance (which I'll think about - perhaps Good Mornings, Front Squat, Rev Hyper & T-Bar Row) before peaking for what will hopefully be 460kg.

Adding One Arm Row this cycle on both training days seems to have given me a lot more mass on my mid to upper back. Maybe it's because it's something new and away from the same stuff I've been doing since Jan 2010. I guess my body responds better to a new stimulus rather than the same old same old... hence why I'm going to bring in some new assistance.

• Advertisement

Monday September 26th: Heavy Bench

Bench
    60kg – 1x5
    72.5kg – 1x3
    80kg – 1x1
    87.5kg – 1x1
    92.5kg - 3x5 ... pb for reps at that weight anyway ... which was 4, 4, 3 without spotter assistance. First set he yanked the failed one up. Last two sets I told him just to help a tiny bit, which he did
    ---
    DB Bench
    20kg per arm – 2x10

One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm – 2x10
    ---
    BB Curl
    20kg – 2x10
    ---
    EZ Lying Tricep
    18.5kg – 2x10
    ---
    Monster Mondo Leg Press (I didn't make that up - check the EFTS link)
    no additional weight - 3x5 ... the footplate alone weights 160kg, so done unilaterally that's 80kg per leg. Felt pretty heavy and shakey as legs got used to working independently
    ---
    Front Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5 ... felt fine in the quads, just a bit of a stretch in the wrists

45 Degree Back Raise (another EFTS piece of equipment)
    no additional weight - 1x10
    +5kg plate held to chest - 1x10
    +10kg plate held to chest - 1x10
    +20kg bar across shoulders - 1x10 ... I like this piece of equipment. Feels great on the glutes
    ---
    Seated Calf Raise
    +20kg - 1x10
    +40kg - 1x10 ... won't be able to walk tomorrow
    ---
    T-Bar Row
    +20kg - 1x10
    +40kg - 1x10 ... felt good on the upper back and rear delts
    ---
    Reverse Hyper
    no additional weight - 1x?
    bodyweight - 1x?
    +20kg - 1x?
    *break for a while talking*
    +80kg - 1x? ... need to get into this exercise more. The stretch when the weight swings forward felt odd. Back feels great as I write this so it didn't pull me apart, which is good
    ---
    Tricep Extension (single arm db, standing)
    10kg per arm - 1x10
    ---

Was 85kg on the dot after breakfast this morning, so may 84.7kg ish first thing in the mornings. Lost a bit of weight recently. Probably affected my benching. Still a pb but head wasn't in it due to squat and deads going off the rails.

No back squat or deads tonight, so took the opportunity to mess about with all the other great bits and pieces of equipment which are lying around. Going to work my glutes off over the next couple of months.

My back was feeling more or less better, but didn't want to chance loading up heavy squats or deads. Will give it a few more days. Thinking I may still do the 3 lifts at the upcoming competition on Oct 8th.... but go easy on 1st and 2nd lifts and then just 2.5kg pbs on 3rd lift, instead of the usual attempting 2.5kg pb on the 2nd of each lift. Will see how I go on Thursday which should be 2x2 on 170kg Deadlift.

Thursday September 15th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    40kg - 1x5 ... wide grip
    70kg - 3x5 ... close grip

Reverse Hyper ... supersets with close grip bench and squats later
    bodyweight - 2x10
    +10kg - 4x10

Torsonator
    bar - 1x10
    bar +5kg - 1x10
    bar +10kg - 1x10
    ---
    Rack Pull (just below knees - 6 holes visible)
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    120kg - 1x5
    140kg - n/a ... loaded the bar, was about to attempt it then thought better of it
    100kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 3x5 ... light weight but akward with sore lower back from rack pulls
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    +10kg plate held to chest - 1x10
    +15kg plate held to chest - 1x10 ... hamstrings on fire
    ---
    T-Bar Row
    +20kg - 1x10
    +40kg - 1x5
    ---

A couple of firsts tonight:
    1) First time almost killing someone with a loaded barbell. I accidently horsed the loaded bar over the pins on last set of close grip bench and it landed not too far from someone lying on the ground behind just out of reach. Thankfully I missed.

2) First time trying rack pulls. Should have set the pins a bit lower. Pulling from knees puts the bar out in front as knees are in the way at start of pull. Back still isn't right. No more deadlifts until competition.

Monday October 3rd: Heavy Bench

Bench
    60kg – 1x5
    70g – 1x3
    80kg – 1x1
    87.5kg – 1x1 PAUSED
    95kg - 2x2 PAUSED ... of which the first rep of each set was a clean rep without spotter assistance. First set I was very close to locking out the 2nd rep, but spotter jumped in too soon (new guy). Second set I was nowhere near locking out the second rep. Way too loose on the setup
    ---
    Squat
    air - 1x3
    20kg - 1x3 ... stopped. Lower back still feeling it
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm – 2x10

DB Bench
    20kg per arm – 2x10
    ---
    Reverse Hyper
    bodyweight - 3x10
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    +8kg kettlebell - 1x10
    +16kg kettlebell - 1x10
    ---
    Seated Calf Raise
    +20kg - 1x10
    +40kg - 1x10
    +5kg - 1x10
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    bodyweight - 2x10 ... these felt great after Reverse Hyper & 45 Degree Back Raise. Nice & slow & controlled. Makes a change from doing them when wrecked from heavy deads
    ---
    Tricep Extension (single arm db, standing)
    10kg per arm - 1x10
    ---

Feel like I'm wasting time. Waiting for back to heal so I can train properly. Definetly won't deadlift or squat at the comp on Saturday.

Bench attempts will probably go 95kg / 100kg / 102.5kg.

Thursday October 7th: Deadload for comp

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x5 ... wide grip
    60kg - 3x5 ... close grip

Leg Extension
    30kg - 3x10

Leg Curl
    30kg - 3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 2x10

Face Pulls (band)
    2x10
    ---

Arrived around 6:15pm, was out the door back in the car at 6:30pm.

Writing this the day after the above training. Currently 84.5kg. Need to drop 1.5kg of water ahead of tomorrow mornings 11am weight in. Should be fine.

Saturday October 8th: The Wild West Challenge (Raw Powerlifting Competition - Perth)

Woke up at 83.9kg, went for a 5km ish walk and was still only 83.7kg. Got to venue and weighed in at 83.4kg. Was telling wifey that I'd use that as an excuse not to compete... as I was starving and wanted to eat the sandwiches straight away, then get home to watch the F1 qualifying & rugby. However the IPF rule relating to nominated weight categories only is enforced at national competitions, which meant I could compete if I wanted (in the 93kg category, instead of the 83kg one). Being at the venue with all my stuff, and with 3.5 months training behind me I decided I may as well do bench only (back too sore for squats & deads).

Weighed in at 83.4kg. Errr... kinda misjudged that. Didn't bother with water loading & flushing this time around & thought I'd easily get from 84.5kg the night before down to 83kg by eating and drinking nothing. Wrong. Lesson learned for next time.

Bench 1: 95kg ... failed on technicality. Started before judges "start" signal. Easily pressed it

Bench 2: 100kg ... equals pb. Good & was ok. Much better than my 100kg attempt back in June

Bench 3: 102.5kg ... almost had it. Got it off my chest but failed somewhere towards lock out

No one else in my category so I could have taken the gold medal if I wanted, but turned it down as it no point being the first in a field of one. I've gotten stronger on the bench alright, it's slow going but moving up (i.e. I didn't fail 102.5kg as badly as I did in June).

Was a good competition on the whole. I was suprised at the standard. One guy in the 83kg category set a new WA squat record with 200kg. There were 3 250kg+ deadlifts from guys in the 105kg category. One of these fellows just managed to avoid bombing squat with 160kg, but then deadlift 270kg. Weird. All Raw comp btw.

• Advertisement

Sunday October 9th:

Walk 8km

Cycle 8km

Cycle was measuring the walk loop, after putting bike back together following the melbourne to perth move. Beautiful weather and great cycle tracks. Felt good to be back on the bike.

Monday October 10th:

Face Pulls (band)
    3x10

Shoulder Press (seated DB)
    20kg per arm - 6x5 ... first three sets with this facepulls / ring pull ups, the next three sets with the next triple set (leg ext/leg curl)

Ring Pull Ups
    3x5
    ---
    Leg Extension
    35kg - 3x10
    40kg - 3x10
    45kg - 3x10

Leg Curl
    35kg - 3x10
    40kg - 3x10
    45kg - 3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    30kg - 3x8

Glute Ham Raise
    3x10

Seated Calf Raise
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    Stretching (2x30 seconds per side & muscle)
    - Hamstring
    - Adductors
    ---

Went to physio today to see what is up with my back. He couldn't say for definite if there is a disk problem & recommends a scan as the one way to be sure. I opted to go for that which meant making an appointment with doc and explaining stuff to him. Doc reckons I'm fine and don't need a scan.

Physio was quite good. He reckons I have tightness in both left glute and left hip. He stretched both in various ways and hit some trigger points in the left adductor which had me howling. Stuck some 3 pins in my left butt cheek in the name of accupuncture whilst proclaiming I had the roundest butt he's every seen. Afterwards he showed me the pins - I was suprised how long they were. He said they went totally into the glute. He also assessed my glute strength... which is "insanely strong". However the gluteus median (medius) is the weaker and shows as a hollow dimple to the sides of my otherwise perfect moons.

I explained how I thought my hamstrings were tight and may be contributing to problems. He checked them and said they are actually quite flexible.

Homework = adductor, glute & hip flexor stretching.

Gonna organise the MRI scan over the next couple of days so I can know for definite what's up. Fingers crossed everything is ok... but I wanna make the most of my expense health insurance. A couple of weeks off training now will be safer vs long term damage if I get back training too early on a bust disk.

Wednesday October 12th:

Cycle 10km

Hill Sprints 5 x steep
    ---

Got up at 6am to get some cardio in on my squat/deadlift downtime. After 1.5km on the bike I stopped and did the sprints. Hill is very steep grassy side to a park. Took about 15 mins to recover whilst pedalling slowly on the bike afterwards.

Thursday October 13th:

Bench Press
    60kg - 3x10

Glute Ham Raise (in a particularly hard position)
    3x5
    ---
    DB Bench
    22.5kg per arm - 2x10, 1x8 which should have been 10.

Chest Supported Row
    frame - 1x10
    +20kg - 1x10
    +40kg - 1x5
    ---
    Step Up (thigh parallel)
    bodyweight - 1x10
    +10kg DB per arm - 1x10
    +20kg DB per arm - 1x10

Seated Calf Raise
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    bodyweight - 3x10

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10 various grips
    ---
    Face Pull (band)
    3x10

Hip Abduction (standing, band)
    3x10 per leg
    ---
    Dips
    3x5

Plank
    3x30seconds
    ---

Just messing about. Felt good.

Had more physio beforehand. Accupuncture to left glute and erectors. Going for MRI on Sunday morning.

Monday October 17th:

Ring Pull Up
    bodyweight - 3x5

Shoulder Press
    17.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Step Up
    +10kg per arm - 1x5
    +15kg per arm - 3x5

DB Curl
    10kg per arm - 1x5
    15kg per arm - 3x5

DB Tri Ext
    10kg per arm - 1x5
    15kg per arm - 3x5
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x10

Seated Calf Raise
    +20kg - 3x10

Leg Ext
    40kg - 1x10
    45kg - 1x10
    50kg - 1x10
    ---
    Chest Supported Row
    +20kg - 1x10
    +40kg - 1x10
    +45kg - 1x5

45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10
    ---
    Bench
    65kg - 3x8
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 2x10

Plank
    2x40 seconds
    ---

Enjoying these quick mess arounds with a bit of everything.

Had MRI yesterday morning. It's a clastrophobic experience in that loud clanking tube. I almost freaked out in the initial minutes as they leave the room and the thing starts up. Managed to hold on for what seemed like a pretty long 15 minutes. Seemed more like 25, as I counted 7 songs on the radio amongst much DJ chatter. The MRI technician checks on you a couple of times during it to see if you're ok. I thought it was kinda ominious that they give you a big chord with a panic button attached to it. If it gets too much you sqeeze the button and they pull you out.

My back is feeling better since the MRI. I think this is 'cos I saw a lot of really ill looking people before and after me in the queue. Hoping everything will be ok when I catch up with doctor and physio in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Is this from the same comp?

Thursday October 20th:

Indian Clubs (or whatever they are called)
    ~1x10 each side forward & backwards
    ---
    Ring Pull Ups
    bodyweight +5kg DB - 3x5

Shoulder Press (seated DB)
    20kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Leg Ext
    45kg - 1x10
    50kg - 1x10
    55kg - 1x10

Leg Curl
    45kg - 1x10
    50kg - 1x10
    55kg - 1x10
    ---
    Chest Supported Row
    frame + 20kg - 1x10
    frame + 40kg - 1x10
    frame + 60kg - 1x5

Barbell Curl
    30kg - 3x8

Seated Calf Raise
    25kg - 3x10
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (very easy setting)
    3x10

Bench Press (with light bands)
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5

45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10
    ---

First time doing a proper few bench sets with bands. Felt good.

MRI results came back and I checked them with both doctor and physio. Both are of the opinion that my back is good: no disks blown or any major damage thankfully. VERY very relieved. I cannot express how happy I am that I can continue to train. I was pretty gutted at the thoughts that I had maybe screwed my back up. Thankfully I'll go on to lift another day.

I'm going to Brisbane next week with work so will keep my deload going until end of that week before getting back to light squat and deadlift around beginning of November.

Enjoying working the forgotten bodyparts i.e. shoulders, guns, calfs. Actually guns aren't a forgotten part.. and along with my super round butt are probably my better body parts :cool:

All around... I'm happy :)

d'Oracle wrote: »

Is this from the same comp?

That is my gym and training parters in the video above alright, but the competition is not my federation.

I compete with Powerlifting Australia (i.e. IPF) and would be excommunicated if I lifted with a rival powerlifting fed :) Therefore I train at the gym in the video you posted above, but compete in different comps.

Here is my favourite Powerlifting Australia moment from back in July at the Pacific Invitational. This was incredible to witness up close. Hairs still stand up on the back of my neck watching it. Crowd were going crazy and Highway to Hell was blasting at top volume! Brad Gillingham is a super size guy, very down to earth & easy to talk to.

Monday October 24th:

Bike 15 mins
    ---
    Shoulder Press (standing, DB)
    20kg per arm - 3x8

One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm - 3x8

Calf Raise (standing, DB)
    20kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Step Up
    bodyweight - 1x5
    bodyweight + 12.5kg per arm - 3x5
    ---
    Inverted Row
    3x10

DB Curls
    12.5kg per arm - 2x10

DB Bench
    25kg per arm - 2x10
    --
    Chin Up
    bodyweight - 1x5
    bodyweight + 5kg - 1x5
    bodyweight + 9kg - 1x5

Stir the Pot
    2x5 per rotation
    ---

Killing time at a resort on the Sunshine Coast. It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it.

Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday October 25, 26 & 27:

Lots of swimming in both sea & pool, plus messing about with various pool ball games. Cardio in the sun. Was fun.

• Advertisement

Saturday October 29th: Messing about

Prowler
    0kg - x2
    20kg - x2
    40kg - x6
    50kg - x4
    60kg - x2
    ---
    Bench Press
    60kg - 3x8

Ring Pull Ups
    bodyweight +6kg - 3x5
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (hard-ish setting)
    3x10

BB Curl
    30kg - 3x8
    ---
    Seated Calf Raise
    20kg - 3x10

45 Degree Back Raise
    3x10
    ---
    Step Up
    15kg per arm - 2x5

DB Shoulder Press (standing)
    15kg per arm - 2x5
    ---

Tried out prowler for the first time. Got the heart pumping. Good.

Back getting better but not 100% so no deads or squats just yet.

Monday October 31st: Messing about

Box Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8 ... video'd 1st and 3rd sets. Took the box down a peg for 2nd and 3rd sets

Bench (against red bands)
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8 ... video'd 1st set.
    ---
    Ring Pulls Ups
    bodyweight + 7kg - 3x5

Stir The Pot
    3 x (5 left, 5 right)
    ---
    Prowler (alternating high vertical & low horizontal handles)
    20kg - x2
    40kg - x6
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    25kg - 2x8

20kg - 2x5
    ---

The big break through today was squatting for the first time in a while. Used a box to ensure I didn't go through the bottom if things went amiss with my lower back. Pretty light and pain free. Video'd them to check depth. 1st top set used box set to high. 2nd and 3rd was a bit lower, but should drop it down another peg next time. I'll post videos later.

Video'd the bench against bands too, to see how I was doing it. Looks fine.

Then... took off my shirt and ran around with the prowler in the sun.

BossArky wrote: »

Box Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8 ... video'd 1st and 3rd sets. Took the box down a peg for 2nd and 3rd sets

1st top set used box set to high. 2nd and 3rd was a bit lower, but should drop it down another peg next time. I'll post videos later.

Box Squat Set 1:

Box Squat Set 3:

BossArky wrote: »
    Bench (against red bands)
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8 ... video'd 1st set.

Video'd the bench against bands too, to see how I was doing it. Looks fine.

Bench against bands Set 1:

Wednesday November 2nd: Max Effort Bench

Squat
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x8
    60kg - 3x8 ... tweaked lower left back again & sore as I write this. Still not right
    ---
    Bench Press (to a thick sponge board, against light red bands)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x2 ... 2nd rep with spotter assistance
    80kg - 1x1
    90kg - 1x1 ... with spotter assistance
    85kg - 1x1 ... best rep
    ---
    Close Grip Bench (fat bar, bar = 33kg)
    53kg - 1x20
    63kg - 1x12-15?
    63kg - 1x10?
    63kg - 1x8?
    ---
    Tricep Ext (kettle bells)
    12kg per arm - 5x8 ish ... didn't get all reps on middle sets. Got the hang of it towards last set
    ---
    Lat Pull Down (chin grip)
    Setting 15 (75kg?) - 4x8
    ---
    H Raise (DB, incline bench --> shrug, M, raise)
    6kg per arm - 4x6-8?
    ---
    Torsonator
    20kg - 3x15
    ---

Started training with a new training partner. Will see how it goes for 12 weeks. Following a westside template. Today (Wednesday) was max effort bench. Friday will be dynamic work, and Monday is max effort squat.

Good workout & triceps got smashed... but pissed off that my back is again niggling me after the light squats. When I get to depth my back hurts. Feeling it now as I type. Damn.

Went for my supposedly final session with the physio an hour before gym and he thought I was ok and good to get back into squats lightly.

Friday November 4th: Dynamic Effort Squat

Leg Swing
    2x10 per side
    ---
    Lying Lateral Leg Raise
    2x10
    ---
    Bird Dog
    2x10 per side
    ---
    Box Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    bodyweight - 1x10
    bodyweight +5kg held to chest - 1x10
    bodyweight +5kg held to chest- ~1x8 ... and then another couple or reps with no weight
    ---
    Lat Pull Down (V-handle)
    Setting 15 (75kg?) - 3x8
    ---
    Anti-Rotation Abs (DB & Band)
    6kg - 3x8
    ---
    Sled Drag ... not the prowler, but an actual sled
    50kg? - x4
    ---

Think that was it.

Started very light and worked up gradually on box squat to see how back held up. Squatting to a box prevents going too deep and rounding which is where pain occurs. Was ok up to 80kg, then dropped back to 60kg to avoid pushing my luck.

Did the first set of GHR with my usual technique (straight as a poker out to horizontal then back up). Did the second and third set using different version i.e. get down to horizontal then hinge at hips to almost 90 degrees before reversing all the way up. The key is to avoid reversing and coming back up too quickly to else momentum will carry you through the horizontal part. These absolutely fried my hamstrings. Cramping on 4th rep when trying this technique with weight. Felt like hams were getting a good hammering, so I'll do it again.

My box squatting wasn't technically text book DE lower stuff. My training partner did his DE stuff, whilst I just worked in for the sake of seeing how it goes and getting leg work in for sets of 5. Once I get a feel for all these new exercises then I'll hopefully increase the weights when back is ok.

Saturday November 5th:

Ext.Rotation (band)
    2x10
    ---
    Face Pull (band)
    2x10
    ---
    Shoulder Press (DB, standing)
    20kg per arm - 3x8

Calf Raise (seated)
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    BB Curl
    30kg - 3x8

Chest Supported Row
    frame - 1x8
    frame +20kg - 3x8
    ---
    Lying Lateral Leg Raise
    2x10 ... glutes felt this. Left hip very tight & not as mobile as right
    ---
    DB Curl
    15kg per arm - 2x8
    ---
    Prowler
    40kg - x2
    50kg - x2
    ---

The above was supersets with minding BabyArky in the gym whilst wifey was doing her stuff.

Monday November 7th:

Bench Press (against light red bands)
    20kg - 1x8 ... no bands
    40kg - 1x8 ... no bands
    65kg - 3x8 ... add bands... handy

Step Up (medium box, upper thigh at parallel)
    bodyweight - 1x5 per leg
    bodyweight + 20kg DB per arm - 3x5 per leg ... hard enough but not a max effort. Can really feel these in the ham/glute

Lying Lateral Leg Raise
    3x10 per leg
    ---
    DB Bench
    30kg per arm - 3x8 ... handy enough
    ---
    Ring Pull Up
    bodyweight +8kg DB - 3x5
    ---
    DB Shoulder Press
    15kg per arm - 3x8 ... pretty light, just some shoulder pump
    ---
    Seated Calf Raise
    20kg - 3x20 ... burn!

45 Degree Back Raise
    bodyweight - 3x8
    ---
    Lat Pulldown (V handle)
    Setting 15 (75kg?) - 3x8 ... easy peasy
    ---
    Face Pull (thick red band)
    3x10
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    2x10 ... on almost impossible. Got'em all :cool:
    1x10 ... on ok for mortals :pac: Showing new training partner how to GHR
    ---

Opted not to squat until back is 100%. Step Ups feel good. Gonna gradually up the weight and see how they go. May need more leg volume. Leg Ext to keep quads alive? Happy enough with the volume I'm getting for Hams/Glute: GHR, 45 Degree Back Raise, some Rev.Hyper, etc. Even calfs are getting volume these days. Suprisingly I don't feel the 3x20 in my calfs at all this morning (writing the day after the workout above). Seated calfs don't hurt like standing ones it seems.

Had a good bunch to train with last night: 4 of us:
    - Battledwarf is ~70kg and worked up to a raw box squat of 200kg x2, to a slightly high box squat... but very strong all the same
    - Massive dude must be twice the weight of Battledwarf and worked up to 200kg box squat x8, followed by 220kg x8, then 240kg x6
    - New Irish guy, who just joined and is training with us to get the hang of things
    - Me. Working in with group but no squatting just yet.

Good to train with others after a couple of months in the wilderness training alone. On some of their squat sets I did some additional bench/bench assistance to get volume in.

Cannot remember if I mentioned but I've dropped the 3kg of milk per day. No point when not squatting or deadlifting heavy. Bodyweight is down to around 82/83kg in mornings. Just sticking with breakfast, lunch and evening meal to burn off a bit of fat. Training 3 days a week. Less calories in, more calories out. Simple.

Wednesday November 9th: Max Effort Bench

Warm Up
    Clams - 2x5?
    Bird-dogs - 2x5?
    Face Pulls - thick red band - 2x10
    ---
    Bench Press
    50kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x1
    95kg - 1x1 ... equals gym pb from Dec 2009 almost two years ago
    100kg - 1x1 ... 5kg gym pb
    102.5kg - 1x1 ... 7.5kg gym pb
    105kg - 1x1 ... 10kg gym pb
    107.5kg - fail, got it off chest but failed about 1/3 way up
    107.5kg - fail, as above
    ---
    Push Ups (hands on big bouncey ball, feet on medium height box)
    bodyweight + 10kg chains - 1x14 ... lost balance & ate ball
    bodyweight + 10kg chains - 1x25 ... good & stopped at 25
    ---
    Tricep Extention (kettlebells)
    16kg per arm - 8, 8, 6
    ---
    Chest Supported Row (overhand wide grip)
    frame +20kg - 1x8
    frame +40kg - 4x8
    ---
    DB Seated Power Clean
    12.5kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Anti-Rotation Abs (DB & thick band)
    8kg - 3x8
    ---
    BB Curl
    30kg - 3x8
    ---
    Leg Extension
    50kg - 1x10
    55kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x10
    ---

Worked up to a raw 1RM in the gym on bench for first time in almost 2 years. Pretty satisfying to get 105kg. My best paused competition bench is 100kg from 1 month ago, so the guesstimation that the pause knocks off 5kg seems pretty accurate.

107.5kg didn't feel really heavy, just a bit fatigued by then and had benched two days ago. That's my excuse ;) It came off chest twice. I seem to lack power in the middle ROM. It was a good night.

Bodyweight 83kg.

Friday November 11th: Dynamic Effort Squat (& lots of other stuff)

Bench Press (against light red bands)
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x5
    70kg - 2x5 ... hmmm, too heavy for speed work so dropped down on next set
    60kg - 1x5

Step Up (thigh = parallel)
    bodyweight - 3x5 per leg
    ---
    Box Squat (thigh = parallel)
    60kg - 2x3
    80kg - 1x2
    80kg + 34kg of chains - 4x2 ... so approx 114kg at top & 80kg at bottom
    60kg - 1x2 ... concentrating on wide stance sit back with feet parallel
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    bodyweight - 10, 12, 8? ... focus on keeping knees as far apart as possible. Same for feet. Makes it harder & simulates a deadlift/squat stance more I guess
    ---
    Sled Drag
    30kg - various holds x6 (forwards, arms, backwards)
    ---
    Prowler
    20kg - x6

Ring Pull Up
    bodyweight +9kg - 1x5
    bodyweight +9kg - 1x4
    bodyweight - 1x5

Reverse Hyper
    40kg - 4x~5-8
    ---
    Seated Calf Raise
    20kg - 2x10

DB Shoulder Press
    17.5kg per arm - 2x8
    ---
    Chest Supported Row (parallel grip)
    frame +20kg - 1x8
    ---

Got bench in whilst waiting for training partners to arrive.

Box squat with chains felt fine. Got some good instruction on how to perform a box squat correctly. Happy to have 114kg on my shoulders as it's been a while squatting anything even remotely moderate. Back wasn't feeling it much on box squats as more upright.

Reverse Hypers with weight are actually way easier than without. 40kg felt great. I was nervous that this would aggravate lower back, but it didn't.

GHR with wide knees & wide feet was a change from my usual narrow setup on that.

Did way too much other stuff... but had fun. The Prowler/Weighted Ring Pull Up/Rev Hyper superset was a bit ambitious.

• Advertisement

Monday November 14th: Max Effort Squat

Box Squat (every set against 4 bands: 2 thick & 2 light. Perhaps 40kg at the top in bands alone?)
    bar + bands - 2x5
    60kg + bands - 1x2
    80kg + bands - 1x2
    60kg + bands - 1x2 ... bar almost slide down back. Hopeless set
    40kg + bands - 1xf ... couldn't get off box with wide stance after touching down. Zero power. Hopeless
    40kg + bands - 1x2 ... managed to sit back. Less hopeless
    bar + bands - 1x2 ... "****-house" to quote someone watching. I have zero power off the box & this set was horrendous
    ---
    Kettle Bell Swings
    16kg - 2 sets for 45 seconds
    20kg - 1 sets for 45 seconds
    ---
    Prowler
    60kg - 4 runs each, as a team
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    bodyweight - 3 sets which went something like 10, 10, 17f ... that set of 17 to failure is a pb. First two sets were on easy setting. I cranked it up to rockstar setting for last one

Pull Down Abs
    Setting 5 ish (25kg?) - 3x10 ... concentrating on curling down with abs not using hip flexors

Leg Extension
    55kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x10
    65kg - 1x10
    ---
    BB Curl
    20kg - 1x5
    30kg - 1x5
    35kg - 2x8 ... to cheer myself up after box squat

20kg per arm - 1x8
    20kg per arm - 1x5 ... was fatigued. Didn't push for 8 as benching Wednesday night & should probably rest
    ---
    Calf Raise
    20kg - 2x10
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    bodyweight - 2x10
    ---
    Box Squats were rubbish. Too much additional band tension. Need to practise these on the toilet or some low chair/box thing at home. Need to "spread the floor" with feet apparently. Felt pretty pissed off after these and a bit annoyed that I tried to max out on something I've never attempted before with a dodgy back. I need to start with bar, minimal weight and zero bands to get the hang of the exercise. No point doing what I did tonight and trying to learn it against bands which nearly staple me without any additional weight on the bar.

First time ever doing KB Swings. Interesting. Felt ok.

I'm afraid I'm not getting enough volume for legs, hence the leg extension.

Prowler runs as a team were fun.

Advertisement