Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday June 28th: Light Bench Ed Coan Week 7

Bench
    20kg - 1x10
    67.5kg - 2x10

Chin Up
    3x8
    ---
    Tricep Pushdown
    setting 10 - 1x10
    setting 12 - 1x10
    setting 11 - 1x10
    ---

Got to gym at 7:55pm, not realizing it was shutting at 8pm. Rushed through the above. Felt terrible after! Got a bug.

Will finish off (Squats, etc) next day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Friday June 29th: 2nd half of Light Day... continuing on from day before

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    77.5kg - 1x5
    87.5kg - 1x5
    67.5kg - 2x10

Dips
    2x12
    ---
    Leg Ext (1 leg at a time)
    20kg - 1x10
    15kg - 2x10 ... dropped weight to concentrate on ROM

Leg Curl (both legs together)
    40kg - 1x10
    45kg - 1x10
    50kg - 1x10

Seated Cable Row (V-handle)
    40kg - 3x10 ... ROM on is small due to how it's built. Didn't get much out of these sets
    ---

Felt weird to only have upper body DOMS going into gym today. Usually I train full body twice a week. Had more time/energy to focus on just squats today. Adding 2.5kg to top squat set each session (training twice per week) and same with the 2x10 drop sets. Let's see where that gets me.

Bar is sitting way too low on my back when I use my usual squat grip of "ring finger on rings" (same as bench). Not sure where I lost the feel of how to hold the bar comfortably for squatting. Took my grip into thumb distance from knurling on last set which kept upper back tighter. Just have to be careful that this dosen't cause me to fall forward and tweak lower back again as the lever is longer.

I kept my belt on throughout all the squat sets, just flipping the buckle closed for sets and reopening between sets. After 2nd set I noticed that something fell off when I opened it. The buckle snapped. Damn. Need to get it sorted and pick up a new set of knee sleeves as the old Titan ones are ripping all over the place.

Monday July 2nd: Ed Coan Bench Week 8 Heavy Day

Face Pulls
    3rd lightest setting - 3x10 ... warm up
    ---
    Bench
    92.5kg - 2x3 ... flat... spotter took a tiny bit of weight on last rep of first set, and more or less yanked up the last rep of second set. Ill = weak
    82.5kg - 2x3 ... close grip
    75kg - 2x3 ... incline
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    35kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Squat
    broom - 4x5 ... waiting for the curl rack to empty
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5 ... remembered my grip is actually pinky on ring, not ring on ring
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 1x5 ... nice & easy now I've sorted grip
    70kg - 2x10
    ---
    BB Curl
    40kg - 2x8
    30kg - 1x8 ... drop set
    ---

Squat feels way more comfy now that I've realized my grip is pinky on ring, not ring finger on ring. Must have had a total squat grip memory loss for the past few months. Squatting the weight up was fine & easy. The bar sitting on my back felt "heavy" (read - unfamiliar) as I haven't had much weight on it for a while. Happy to be up to 90kg x5 and then the two dropsets for 10 reps at 70kg were easy.

Illness over the past 5 days hasn't had me eating much. Bench paid for it today. Hopefully next week I'll be back on track and feeling stronger. Everything else was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

BossArky wrote: »
    Squat
    broom - 4x5 ... waiting for the curl rack to empty

I hate it when people hog the curl rack doing squats.....

Thursday July 5th: Light Bench Ed Coan Week 8

Bench
    30kg - 1x10
    70kg - 2x10

Chin Up (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +6kg - x8, x6, x4
    ---
    Tricep Pushdown
    setting 10 - 1x10
    setting 12 - 1x10
    setting 14 - 1x10
    ---
    Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    72.5kg - 1x3
    82.5kg - 1x2
    92.5kg - 1x5
    72.5kg - 2x10
    ---
    15kg - 2x10

40kg - 2x10

Dips
    2x12
    ---

Forgot my knee sleeves.

Rushed through that in an hour or so. Good.

• Advertisement

Tuesday July 10th: Ed Coan Bench Week 9 ... just the Squat... Bench tomorrow

Squat
    broom - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    72.5kg - 1x3
    85kg - 1x2
    95kg - 1x5 ... fine fine fine. Happy with grip now after months messing about
    75kg - 2x10 ... fine fine fine fine fine
    ---
    BB Curl
    40kg - 3x8
    ---
    Face Pulls
    3rd lightest setting - 3x12
    ---

That was good. Really happy to be squatting. Cannot stress that enough after the eternity of fiddling about since Sept last. Enjoy training these days.

Been sick the past 5 days, thus I had to delay the usual Monday workout by a day and just did Squat part today. Will finish Bench tomorrow.

In the middle of the illness I did a powerlifting ref course at the weekend. Got 100% in the 2 hour exam which was pleasing, then spend the evening in a practical which was marking a scoresheet during a competition. Had to get 90% of what the examining ref gave. Pretty sure I did ok in that. Will get overall results in the post in a week or two.

So, now I'm a qualifed powerlifting coach, a qualified powerlifting referee... and I'm back squatting. Looking forward to getting my numbers back up and getting back to competition myself.

Friday July 13th: Squat

Squat
    broom - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x3
    87.5kg - 1x2
    97.5kg - 1x5 ... good
    77.5kg - 2x10
    ---
    15kg - 3x10

40kg - 3x10
    ---

Still sick. Yesterday I went to the doctor and got antibiotics. Don't think I've ever had to get antibiotics for the common cold before. Some kind of superbug going around Perth at the moment. Feel a bit better today. Have been coughing my lungs up the past week and it's not pleasant.

Haven't benched this week at all. Will try to fit a session in tomorrow morning.

I'm guessing when Ed Coan wrote his bench program he didn't plan for the trainee to have a week out in Singapore, a week out in KL and two weeks flattened with various bugs. Kinda making a hash of it. May back track a week and take it up at the start of the 2x3s which I've already done.

Squat +2.5kg.

Saturday July 14th: Ed Coan Bench Week 9

Face Pulls
    setting 5 - 3x10
    ---
    Bench
    95kg - 2x3 ... flat... needed a bit of spotter help on last rep of both sets. Unracked it myself which is a first
    85kg - 2x3 ... close grip
    80kg - 2x3 ... incline

One Arm DB Row
    37.5kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Lat Pulldown
    60kg - 2x10 ... felt heavy after the One Arm DB Row

Reverse Fly Machine
    Setting 3 or 4 - 2x10 ... first time doing this machine in about 14 years. Felt good!
    ---

The significant thing about this session was that I unracked those 95kg flat bench sets myself. For some reason I never unrack anything myself if it's over 80kg. I guess it's cos when I'm doing sets of 5's I have spotters around, who lift off. I was pleased to discover that lifting off close to my 1 rep max wasn't actually hard. Mental hurdle cleared. Tick.

Going to do more low rep work with heavy weights on bench going forwards (after Ed Coan programme). Exact weights for today were supposed to be 97kg, so rounded down to 95kg. Sticking to the Ed Coan plan still.

Drank 3 litres of full fat milk. Time to gain weight.

Monday July 16th: Light Bench Ed Coan Week 9

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x2
    100kg - 1x5 ... easy
    80kg - 2x10 ... fine

Face Pulls
    Setting 6 - 3x10
    ---
    Bench
    50kg - 1x10
    70kg - 2x10
    ---
    Tricep Pushdown
    setting 10 - 1x10
    setting 12 - 1x10
    setting 14 - 1x10 ... easier than before

Chin Up (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +10kg - 3x6 ... couple of dodgy reps at end of last set. Need to build these back up
    ---
    Dips
    2x12

Seated Row Machine
    30kg - 2x10
    ---

Squat 100kg x5 for first time in a while. Comfortable. The two sets at 80kg for 10 reps after were handy too.

Right pec a bit sore/slighty strained but got through the bench 70kg - 2x10 ok.

Weighing in a light 81kg ish. Drank 3 litres of milk again after this session. Not ideal when training in the evening 'cos then spend half the night getting up to go to toilet.

Thursday July 19th: Squat

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    80kg - 1x3
    92.5kg - 1x2
    102.5kg - 1x5 ... fine
    82.5kg - 2x10 ... fine

Face Pulls
    Setting 7 - 3x10
    ---
    15kg - 1x10
    20kg - 1x8
    25kg - 1x6
    15kg - 2x15

45kg - 1x10
    50kg - 1x8
    55kg - 1x6

Barbell Curl
    42.5kg - 2x8, 1x7
    30kg - 1x8 ... drop set
    ---

Forgot knee sleeves.

Squats were fine. Minor point: fell forward slightly on first rep of 5 at 102.5kg. Rest were fine.

In the midst of 3 litres of milk as I type.

• Advertisement

Saturday July 21th: Ed Coan Heavy Bench Week 10

Face Pulls
    setting 8 - 3x8
    ---
    Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    72.5kg - 1x3
    82.5kg - 1x2
    90kg - 1x1
    100kg - 2x2 ... flat... needed spotter help on last rep of both sets. A bit on first set, a lot on second set. Unracked both sets myself
    87.5kg - 2x2 ... close grip
    82.5kg - 2x2 ... incline
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    40kg per arm - 3x6
    ---

First time trying to rep 100kg on the bench. First set was close, almost got 2nd rep. Second set not so, needed a fair bit of spotter help.

The close grip doubles (87.5) and incline (82.5) are getting to the limits of what I can do without a spotter. Struggled through the first set on each. Thought I was gonna get stapled, but pushed through. Second set of each wasn't so bad.

Up to 40kg on the One Arm Row. Went heavier on the facepulls too.

Before writing this log entry I spent a few mins looking back on what I was doing at this time each year for the past 5. Memory lane.

Monday July 23rd: Squat & Light Bench Ed Coan Week 10

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    80kg - 1x3
    92.5kg - 1x2
    105kg - 1x5 ... good
    85kg - 2x10 ... good

Face Pulls
    Setting 8 - 3x10
    ---
    Bench
    40kg - 1x10
    70kg - 2x10
    ---
    Tricep Pushdown
    setting 10 - 1x10
    setting 12 - 1x10
    setting 14 - 1x10 ... this is feeling easier

Chin Up (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +10kg - 3x6 ... better than last week
    ---
    Dips
    2x12
    ---
    Reverse Fly Machine
    Setting 5 - 1x10
    Setting 6 - 1x10
    ---

Whilst warming up with my lower back mobility/hamstring stretches a woman engaged me in conversation and complemented me on my nice deep sumo squats (or words to that effect). She then went on for 5 mins telling me about her bodybuilding/breakdancing comps. She usually hangs out in the stretching area jumping around like Britney Spears. Quiet funny to watch. Was nice to get some positive feedback on my squats though. They were feeling strong tonight.

It wasn't long ago that I was wondering if I'd ever squat bodyweight again. Tonights drop sets (85kg - 2x10) are a mini milestone on the way to recovery. Weighing in around 81kg or so. Need to take an exact bodyweight morning reading.

Triceps must be growing. Pushdowns feeling pretty easy. The same weights when I started the Ed Coan programme were tougher, so good to see progress there.

Feeling great all around. Still drinking milk as I type. Won't do 3 litres tonight though. Cannot sleep with all the toilet breaks. Will aim for 1.5 litres now, and same after breakfast in morning.

Thursday July 26th: Squat

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    85kg - 1x3
    97.5kg - 1x2
    107.5kg - 1x5 ... good
    87.5kg - 2x10 ... good

Face Pulls
    Setting 9 - 3x10
    ---
    15kg - 1x10
    20kg - 2x8

50kg - 3x8
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    42.5kg - 3x8
    ---

That was fine. Squats feeling good.

Still sick. The last dose of antibiotics finished approx a week ago. I was feeling recovered back then, but seem to have been gradually getting worse each day since. I've self diagnosed whooping cough. I've been vaccinated against that not too long ago so shouldn't really have it... but I'm coughing like a barking dog every ten seconds. It's annoying but dosen't seem to make me feel too bad apart from being a nuisance in work/at night in bed etc. I've booked back in to see the doc tomorrow afternoon. Saw her just two weeks ago... Maybe she'll give me more antibiotics...

Was 81kg on the dot on Tuesday morning before breakfast when just out of bed, so that is the bodyweight I'll be tracking against as I gain weight in the coming months.

In other news, I got my Aussie perm residence. Nice one.

Friday July 27th: Ed Coan Heavy Bench Week 11

Face Pulls
    setting 3 - 5x10
    ---
    Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    72.5kg - 1x3
    85kg - 1x2
    95kg - 1x1 ... unracked myself and without spotter
    102.5kg - 2x2 ...flat... got both reps on first set but heavily & unevenly spotted (see notes below). Totally failed on last set. Didn't get 1st or 2nd rep. Unracked both sets myself
    90kg - 2x2 ... close grip
    85kg - FAIL ... incline - failed first rep when going for 2x2
    80kg - 2x2... incline ... dropped 5kg on the previous attempt
    ---
    One Arm DB Row
    40kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    DB Bench
    20kg per arm - 1x20
    ---

Went back to doctor. Got 2 more doses of antibiotics and an inhaler. Came close to puking in work due to the gut wrenching coughing fits I'm going through. Throat is hanging off me and brain feels like it's bouncing around in a tin can. Slightly uneasy feeling as throat is so swollen that breathing is getting a bit more restricted.

That is the backdrop against when I went into the gym tonight for heaviest every bench doubles on 102.5kg.

Last warm up on 95kg felt slightly heavy, but managed to unrack myself and without spotters so mini win.

The gym is pretty quiet at the best of times. Tonight (a Friday) there was me and 3 girls. Between the lot of them they didn't weigh much more than 102.5kg. Whilst finishing my warm ups I was having a good ponder over whether I should ask the 16 year old receptionist for a centre spot... or the two bodybuilding wanna-be's for a side spot. Safety in numbers I thought, so I politely asked the two if they'd mind. Politely they accepted.

First set first rep: right side spotter basically held onto the bar and didn't let go, whilst the left spotter didn't touch the bar. Weight was therefore totally uneven and I locked it out like a plane making a U-turn coming in for an emergency landing. Basically it was a 102.5kg double... but not 102.5kg.

Second set: I told the above two that they could go as some guy came in. He was happy to centre spot, but I didn't have enough in me for 1 rep. Dissappointing.

Close grips doubles on 90kg were fine. Incline doubles on 85kg was too much. Dropped off 5kg and then those doubles were fine.

Slightly dissappointed. Threw in DB bench to make up for missing so many reps.

In future I'm going to move one of the flat benches into the squat rack and use the safetys there. No point wasting energy wasting about spotters. Need to rely on myself. On the plus side, everyone is nice & friendly :pac:

Saturday July 28th:

Cycle ~20km

Got a bike trailer. Went out for approx 3 hours pulling BabyArky around behind my bike and stopping off for coffee/playground galavanting. The trailer itself weights 12.5kg. Combined with BabyArky's 10kg, the additional 22.5kg behind the bike made for fun cardio. Wish I had one of those when I was a kiddy. Looks comfy.

Sunday July 29th:

Swimming 8 lengths & splashing about with BabyArky

Monday July 30th: Squat & Light Bench Ed Coan Week 11

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    85kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x2
    110kg - 1x5 ... feeling strong
    90kg - 2x10 ... feeling strong

Face Pulls
    Setting 10 - 3x8
    ---
    Bench
    40kg - 1x10
    70kg - 2x10
    ---
    Tricep Pushdown
    setting 11 - 1x10
    setting 13 - 1x10
    setting 15 - 1x10 ... increased all these sets by 1 setting and managed them fine

Chin Up (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +10kg - 3x6

Dips
    2x12
    ---
    Abz
    Stir the Pot
    2x10 each direction, supersetted with...

Hanging Leg Raise1x10 (feet to hands)
    1x5 (feet to hands barely)
    1x5 knees to chest
    ---

Squatting strong. 110kg for 5 felt easy. The two sets of 10 at 90kg had my heart pumping for a while afterwards.

First time doing abz in forever. Hanging off me after hanging leg raise. Haven't done those since London which is approx 3 years ago.

Triceps stronger.

Friday August 3rd: Heavy Bench Ed Coan Week 12 - Testing 1 Rep Max

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    85kg - 1x3
    102.5kg - 1x2
    112.5kg - 1x5 ... easy
    92.5kg - 2x10 ... fine

Face Pulls
    Setting 5 - 5x10
    ---
    Bench
    20kg - 2x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x3
    85kg - 1x2
    95kg - 1x1
    100kg - 1x1
    102.5kg - fail
    ---
    Leg Ext (single leg)
    15kg - 2x10

Leg Curl (both legs)
    50kg - 2x8
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    42.5kg - 2x8

Hanging Leg Raise
    1x5 or 10 knees to chest
    ---

Squats were easy. Still going up 2.5kg. 2nd last rep of one of the 10's I fell a bit forward but the rest were fine. Using more muscle with my new stance. Not as quad dominant as before. Had good hamstring DOMS after Monday's Squats. Same with glutes.

Bench: lifted off the 100kg and pressed it out fine. The 102.5kg was too much. Spotter grabbed it earlier but I wasn't going to get it anyway. That's the end of my Ed Coan Bench programme. It got me used to handling heavy weights and lifting them off myself, but didn't actually increase my 1RM. Lost too much weight in the last 9 months and haven't reagained it yet. Still around 81kg and need to get back up around 86kg. Also a bit hard to go for 1RM with dodgy spotters in non powerlifting gyms. Tried setting myself up in the squat rack with the safetys... but the L hooks hang off exactly where I want to rack the bar, which makes it a no no.

Previous 1RM in gym from a good while (6 months?) back was 105kg. Failing 102.5kg above at ~4 to 5kg bodyweight lighter means I'm in the same ballpark but leaner.

I'll have a think about what I'm going to do next for bench. Will be eating more for sure. Enjoyed that bench cycle. Maybe I'll try working up to a certain weight each time, then backing off and getting more reps in after.

Saturday August 4th:

Cycle ~37km

More lugging BabyArky around in the bike trailer. Cycled to the sea and back. Nice day.

Knackered now after yesterdays squats and todays cycle. Time to watch the 100m heats.

Sunday August 5th:

Swimming 8 lengths & splashing about with BabyArky

• Advertisement

Monday August 7th: Squats & messing about

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    85kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x2
    115kg - 1x5 ... fine
    95kg - 2x10 ... fine

Face Pulls
    Setting 6 - 5x10
    ---
    DB Bench
    25kg - 3x10

Chin Up (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +10kg - 3x6
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    100kg - 3x5
    ---

Squats +2.5kg. 115kg for 5 was fine. Powered through the last set of 10 on 95kg like a piston with the bar nearly hopping up off my shoulders.

Bench - taking it easy. Just did some light high rep DBs.

Deadlift - made a solid low key return: 100kg - 3x5. Typing this the night after and my lower back hasn't totally imploded, so fingers crossed. It felt slightly niggly earlier, but I think it was my body figuring out what a deadlift felt like after so long.

Just spent the past 20 minutes on the foam roller. Quads/glutes/hams/IT bands in glorious agony.

Drank 3 litres of full fat milk between 2pm-5pm in work.

Thursday August 9th: Squats, Floor Press, Light Deadlift

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    85kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x2
    117.5kg - 1x5 ... fine
    97.5kg - 2x10 ... fine

Face Pulls
    Setting 6 - ~8x10
    ---
    Floor Press (lying on floor in Squat rack with safetys at lowest. Equals half ROM press)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x3
    95kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x1
    100kg - 1x3

Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 3x5
    ---

Squats +2.5kg.

Tried Floor Press in place of Bench for a change. It's approx the top half ROM of my bench press, when lying in Squat rack with safetys at lowest possible setting. Worked up in 5s, then 3s and finally a single at 110kg which was pleasing considering I was just gonna go to 100kg then stop. I'll try to build that up over the next 3 weeks and then back to Bench. May do heavy DBs on the other bench day.

Light Deads were fine.

Good.

Monday August 13th: Squats, Heavy Deadlift & Light Bench

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    85kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x2
    120kg - 1x5 ... easy
    100kg - 2x10 ... easy

Face Pulls
    Setting 5 - 3x10
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3 ... bar was loaded on floor so did it instead of 92.5kg as planned
    102.5kg - 3x5

Floor Press
    3x5 - 20kg ... messing about with height of the safetys and what to lie on.

Bench Press
    70kg - 2x10
    ---
    Tricep Pushdown
    Setting 11 - 1x12
    Setting 13 - 1x12
    Setting 15 - 1x12 ... fine
    ---
    Dips
    2x12

Inverted Row
    3x10
    ---

Squats were great. That's a milestone. I can declare my back recovered. 120kg x5 felt easy and the 100kg 2x10 was something I was aiming for to stamp "recovered" on my back.

Deadlift - just going up in 2.5kg per week on the heavy sets and will keep the 2nd day light around 70kg. In no rush to get deadlifts too heavy until I see where the Squat gets up to. Squat is going great and don't want to tax myself too much with Deads on top of it. Lower back joints have been achy, but no disk pain, since introducing Deads last week. Will see how the joints hold up as the body gets used to Deads again. It should be noted that Squats give me zero achyness in the lower back. I've just started feeling it since reintroducing Deads. I'll give myself a month or so of slow Deads build up and reassess how joints are feeling. May try half sumo if conventional dosen't settle the joints down.

Floor press: experimented with lying on floor vs. on 1 reebok step vs on 1 reebok step & the extra bottom support. Found out that the best way to get it exactly on chest at bottom is to have just 1 reebok step and have the safetys on the very lowest. When lying on ground with safetys at lowest the bar is right fist and 3 left fingers off chest. When lying on 1 reebok step with extra bottom support the bar is my right fist width off my chest. Boring info to read, but handy for myself to know when planning paused bench attempts/floor press stuff.

Seem to be getting sick again. Jaysus.

Bodyweight 82kg in the nip at home after gym before shower when pretty hydrated. Gonna be sore tomorrow!

Did I say I <3 Squats? :pac:

Thursday August 16th: Heavy everything

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    85kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x2
    122.5kg - 1x5 ... handy enough
    102.5kg - 2x10 ... easy. Video of second set to follow

Face Pulls
    Setting 5 - 4x10
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    92.5kg - 1x3
    105kg - 3x5 ... first and second set perfection. Third set I fell forward a bit on a couple of reps. Probably 'cos I was rushing in the floor press supersets

Floor Press (or pin press/whatever... lying on one reebok step, safetys on second lowest setting)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x3
    82.5kg - 1x2
    90kg - 1x1
    95kg - 1x1
    100kg - 1x1
    105kg - 1x1
    110kg - fail, got it up a couple of mm then crash. The few inches lower than last week made the difference
    90kg - 2x3

Chin Up (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +10kg - 3x6
    ---
    Inverted Row
    2x10

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    ---

Squats +2.5kg again. Good. Video'd the last set.

Accidently did heavy rather than light Deadlifts. Should have been 70kg 3x5, not 105kg 3x5.

Floor Press/Pin press/whatever was harder obviously now that I brought it a couple of inches lower. Failed 110kg which I got last week. Dropped down to two triples on 90kg after then rushed in some inverted rows/curls.

Feeling good.

BossArky wrote: »

Squat
    122.5kg - 1x5 ... handy enough
    102.5kg - 2x10 ... easy. Video of second set to follow

Squats +2.5kg again. Good. Video'd the last set.

Here is the last set of 102.5kg x10.

Sunday August 19th:

Cycle ~16km

To the Zoo & back. More lugging BabyArky around in the bike trailer.

Monday August 20th: Heavy Squat, Light Bench & Deadlift

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    125kg - 1x5 ... getting tougher
    105kg - 2x10 ... tough

Face Pulls
    Setting 5 - 3x10
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    72.5kg - 2x10 ... ok, but kinda spent after the Squats which are getting heavy so was tougher than it should have been
    ---
    Dips
    1 or 2x12 ... cannot remember if I did second set. Should have
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 3x5 .. convo
    70kg - 3x5 ... sumo

Tricep Pushdown
    Setting 11 - 1x10
    Setting 13 - 1x10
    Setting 15 - 1x10
    ---
    DB Shrug
    20kg DB per arm - 2x10

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 2x10 ... closer grip than usual for a change
    ---

Split the arse out of my tracksuit squatting and had to walk around with boxers hanging out for the rest of the session.

Squats are now hard. Wasn't sure if I'd make it through the sets of 10 at the end.

Everything else was easy enough... but was knackerd after the Squats.

These sessions are becoming a marathon. May have to move all the itty bitty stuff onto a 3rd day where I knock them off quickly in the morning or something.

Thursday August 23rd: Heavy Squat & Bench, Moderate Deadlift builing up...

Squat
    broom handle - 2x5
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    127.5kg - 1x5 ... tough enough but gruntingly got it
    107.5kg - 2x10 ... tough again but got it. Last couple reps of each set were tough breathing

Face Pulls
    Setting 5 - ~5x10
    ---
    Floor Press (or pin press/whatever... lying on one reebok step, safetys on second lowest setting - one fist width off my chest at bottom)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x3
    82.5kg - 1x2
    90kg - 1x2
    95kg - 1x1
    100kg - 1x1
    105kg - 1x1
    107.5kg - 1x1 ... got it! So slow but pushed it up over what seemed like a long time

Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 1x2
    107.5kg - 3x5 ... alrighty, but gassed after squats
    ---
    Chin Up
    bodyweight - 3x5 ... whilst suppin' me protons
    ---

Delighted with the Squat. That's just 5kg under my all time max for 5's which was 132.5kg when I did it for 3x5s back in Melbourne around June 2011.

Bench was good too.

Very satisifying way to go into a Friday/weekend.

Bodyweight 82kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Fair play. Thought it would take a lot longer to get your squat strength back. PRs round the corner.

• Advertisement

Sunday August 26th:

Cycle ~28.1m

Cycled along the foreshore & river with BabyArky around in the bike trailer.

Advertisement