Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Looking forward to seeing the vids...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Here are the squats from earlier today.

4th set: 65kg x5
    5th set: 65kg x3

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tuesday November 27th:

Squat
    20kg x10
    35kg x8
    45kg x5

65kg x3
    65kg x3
    65kg x3

55kg x4
    55kg x4
    55kg x4

45kg x5
    45kg x5
    45kg x5

Military Press (standing, oly bar)
    20kg x10 ... all of these supersets with the first batch of squats
    35kg x8
    45kg x5
    65kg x0 ... fail

Military Press (standing, dumbbell)
    20kg per arm, 9 sets of 3 reps ... supersets with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th sets of squats above
    ---
    Deadlift
    75kg x5
    85kg x5
    95kg x5
    105kg x1
    85kg x5
    65kg x5
    ---
    Overhead Squat (oly bar)
    20kg x5 x5 x5 ... this was just with an empty oly bar, trying to get used to the movement. It feels really awkward. Perhaps I am not flexible enough at the moment

Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    20kg x5 x5 x5 ... again just the oly bar. Very light. A few reps for the sake of a few reps as I contemplated the crappiness of my squat and overhead squat. They both feel wrong
    ---
    One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    22.5kg per arm x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Crunch Machine
    (20kg at feet) x15 x15

Military Press (standing, barbell)
    30kg x10 x10
    ---

This morning I completed the online entry for some triathlons next year:
    • Blenheim - early June - (sprint) 750m swim / 20km cycle / 5km run
    • London - August 10th - (olympic) 1500m swim / 40km cycle / 10km run

My intention for these races is to be in decent running and swimming form. The cycling is usually ok.

I'm planning to keep at the weights until end of December this year, whilst gradually increasing the cardio so that I'm not starting from scratch in the new year.

I need to ensure that I get swimming at least once a week and no have no real excuse as there is a "leisure lagoon" about 2km down the road from where I live.

However, I also want to ensure I don't go overboard on the cardio and get super skinny, burning off my hard fought/bought muscle.

Oh the trials and tribulations of burning the candle at both ends :cool:

Friday November 30th:

Bench Press (dumbbell, slight incline)
    32.5kg per arm, x4 x3 x2 ... that was heavy

Fly (dumbbell)
    8kg x8 x8 x8
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x10
    45kg x10
    65kg x10
    75kg x5
    75kg x4
    75kg x3
    75kg x2
    75kg x1 ... squats felt better that usual today

Lateral Raise (dumbbell)
    8kg x10 x10 x10
    8kg x5 x4 x3 x2 x1 ... must do more lateral raises. Have neglected them in the past while
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    75kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5

Bicep Curl (dumbbell)
    17.5kg per arm, x3 x3 x3 x3 x3
    ---
    Run 1km (5:06mins) ... got a stitch as I just had a stir fry before the gym
    ---

• Advertisement

Saturday December 1st:

Belted approx 40 golf balls into the net at a local driving range.

Saturday December 1st (pm)

Row 5 mins (1120 metres, ~60 cals)
    ---
    Run 5km (23:31mins, ~400 cals) ... fastest 5km since beginning this log and probably my second fastest or fastest ever
    ---
    Standing Military Press (oly bar)
    40kg x8 x6 x4
    ---
    Deadlift (standard)
    70kg x5
    90kg x5
    100kg x2
    80kg x5
    70kg x5
    ---
    Standing Military Press (oly bar)
    40kg x8 x6 x4
    ---
    One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    25kg per arm, x5 x5 x5 ... palm facing in to bench
    17.5kg per arm, x8 x8 x8 ... palm facing back towards foot on ground
    ---
    Pull Over
    15kg plate, x8 x8 x8
    ---
    Side Bends
    15kg plate, alternating sides, x10 x10 x10
    ---
    Pull Ups (neutral grip)
    x4

Hanging Leg Raises (knees bent) ... knackered by this stage so went home
    x4
    ---

Before the gym I was approx 71.5kg. After the run I was 67kg according to the gym scales after sweating buckets. Had a few drinks from the water fountain and was back up to 70kg before leaving. Absolutely soaked.

Sunday December 2nd:

Swim 750 metres

First time back swimming since the London triathlon at the beginning of August. It was also my first visit to the nearby Leisure Lagoon. It is a nice place, very family / kiddy orientated with pool, gym and waterslides.

The only minor drawback is that there is only one lane cordoned off for lengths. It is quite narrow. When you meet someone coming the opposite direction it is a tight squeeze to breaststroke up the pool without hitting them or the wall.

The pool itself if is 25 metres. I alternated between front crawl and breast stroke every 100 metres / 4 lenghts. I'm quiet pleased that after so long out of the water my swim actually seems as good as it ever was. The weights and short runs seem to have kept my cardiovascular fitness up. Not sure exactly how long the 750 metres took but I managed it non stop, in around 20 minutes I guess.

I'm going to try and get to the pool each weekend and work up to doing the full 750 metres front crawl over the coming months. If I managed that I'll be in decent shape for the spring.

Oh, I also had a go on the twirly water slide. It is similar to the one that used to be in Trabolgan years ago. Good fun!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

BossArky wrote: »
    Here are the squats from earlier today.

4th set: 65kg x5
    5th set: 65kg x3

Things to work on....

-Put the bar one level lower in the rack. You should be popping it out with flat feet, not struggling on your toes!!

-Shorter walk back. One step and then another with your other foot. Adjust if neccessary. You really shouldn't be taking more than 3 steps.

-You're breaking at your knees first. It shudl come from your hips with your knees breaking and opening up ever so slighty a split second after words. Think of sitting back into the squat. You'll never hit proper depth like that cos your knees will just keep travelling forward and your hips will never get below thm. It also seems to be pulling you onto your toes.

-Control your descent more. The faster your drop, the heavier the load will be at the bottom when you try to reverse it!! Some people get away with dive-bombing but they're usually oly lifters with perfect form training 10 years...

Overall they look alright, you're definately capable of more. Just drill from with lighter weights and you'll start to fly along I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hanley wrote: »
    -You're breaking at your knees first. It shudl come from your hips with your knees breaking and opening up ever so slighty a split second after words. Think of sitting back into the squat. You'll never hit proper depth like that cos your knees will just keep travelling forward and your hips will never get below thm. It also seems to be pulling you onto your toes.

Sounds exactly what my problem is too.

Like Hanley said, try to sit back into it -- easier said then done btw, I'm always afraid i'm gonna fall back onto my ass if I sit back any further, but it does work.

I found that by widening my stance I could go much deeper as well.

• Advertisement

Things to work on....

-Put the bar one level lower in the rack. You should be popping it out with flat feet, not struggling on your toes!!

Good point. I will lower the bar from now on.
    -Shorter walk back. One step and then another with your other foot. Adjust if neccessary. You really shouldn't be taking more than 3 steps.

Ok. The reason I take such a long walk back is to avoid spare plates which may be hanging on the weight holders on either side of the rack. In this video there aren't any there but the process is ingrained in my head. It breaks my rhythm if when 75% of the way down the 20kg on my left shoulder hops off another spare 20kg plate on the rack weight holder.

This is the major part I have difficulty with. Do you think squatting against a wall with a medicine ball rolling up and down between my back and wall would help here? Perhaps I'll sit back more and get used to the motion. Something to try out next time.
    -Control your descent more. The faster your drop, the heavier the load will be at the bottom when you try to reverse it!! Some people get away with dive-bombing but they're usually oly lifters with perfect form training 10 years...

Hhaha.. yes. Actually when I was reviewing that squat video originally I thought the rendering software had caused the clip to speed up. I too was suprised at the speed. Will slow it down.
    Overall they look alright, you're definately capable of more. Just drill from with lighter weights and you'll start to fly along I'd say.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do my homework :)

Tuesday December 4th:

Press Ups
    x25

Squats (bodyweight)
    x25

Legendary workout.

Wednesday December 5th

Bench Press (standard)
    50kg x10 x10 x10 x10 x6
    ---
    Pull Ups (parallel grip)
    x5 x4 x3 x2 x1
    x5 x4 x3 x2 x1

Deadlift
    45kg
    x10 x8 x6 x4 x2
    x10 x8 x6 x4 x2
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    50kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5

Squat (not oly bar, the other small barbell one)
    20kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5
    ---
    One Arm Dumbbell Row
    15kg per arm, alternating, x10 x10 x10 x10 x10
    ---
    Press Ups
    x10
    ---

Todays lower weight / higher sets / compound supersetting was inspired by the Gerard Butlers' 300 workout. I may throw this routine into my training every week or two to keep things interesting.

Supersetting pull ups and deadlifts is tiring. I could really feel it in my grip. Man, I feel like a Spartan now.

Saturday December 8th:

Pulls Ups
    x5 x4 x3 x2 x1

Deadlift (standard)
    45kg x10 x8 x6 x4 x2
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg x20
    25kg x20
    30kg x20
    35kg x20
    30kg x20
    20kg x25
    ---
    Lateral Raise
    9kg x5 x5 x5
    6kg x5 x5

Fly (slight incline)
    9kg x5 x5 x5
    6kg x5 x5
    ---
    Reverse Fly
    5kg x5 x5 x5

Calf Raises
    bodyweight x20 x20 x20
    ---
    Squat
    30kg x10 x10
    40kg x10
    30kg x10 x10 ... think I got the "sit back into it" thing toward the end here
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    60kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Pull Over (plate)
    5kg x20
    10kg x10
    15kg x5
    5kg x20
    10kg x10
    15kg x5

Bicep Curl
    17.5kg per arm, x5 x5 x5
    15kg per arm, x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Shrugs
    15kg plate per arm, x10 x10 x10

Calf Raise
    15kg plate per arm, x10 x10 x10
    ---
    Lat Pull Down ... just passing the time
    30kg x8 x8 x8 x8 x8
    ---
    Seated Row
    20kg x10
    22.5kg x10
    25kg x10
    27.5kg x10 x10
    ---
    Serratus Crunch
    5kg dumbbell per arm, x5 x5 x5

Reverse Fly
    5kg dumbbell per arm, x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Pulls Ups
    x4
    ---

Sunday December 9th:

Swim 1km

Again I forgot to time my session. I would estimate around 25 minutes. 40 lengths of 25 metres. Almost lost count a few times as my mind wandered, but got it back on track with a bit of mental abacusing.

My swimming feels really strong now compared to previously. I don't get the type of headches I had previously from oxygen deprevation. Either my technique has improved, or my body is fitter and more capable of coping with the activity. The last few months of heavy weights in the gym seem to really have helped my fitness, which in turn transferred to my swimming.

Tuesday December 11th:

Squat
    35kg x10
    45kg x10
    55kg x10

65kg x5
    65kg x5
    75kg x5

65kg x5
    35kg x5
    35kg x5

Lateral Raise
    7kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    75kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5

Front Raise
    7kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5
    ---
    One Arm Dumbbell Row
    12.5kg per arm, alternating x10 x10 x10 ... palm towards bench
    12.5kg per arm, alternating x10 x10 x10 ... palm towards back foot
    ---
    Reverse Fly
    5kg per arm x8 x8 x8

Calf Raise
    5kg per arm x10 x10 x10
    ---

Thursday December 13th:

Pull Ups (wider than wide)
    x5 x5 x5 x5 x5

Dips
    x5 x5 x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Deadlift (standard)
    45kg x8 x8 x8 x8 x8 ... still trying to find the correct weight to deadlift and then superset something else(i.e. press ups today). Took about 30-45 seconds rest between deads and press ups. Deadlifts too light, but 45kg is as high as I can go without getting an oly bar, which were all taken

Press Ups
    x16 x16 x16 x16 x16 ... from the 2nd set onwards was tough after the dips
    ---
    Bench Press
    60kg x5 ... failed on fifth, spotter helped. Tired from dips & press ups
    70kg x2 ... failed on second
    60kg x5
    70kg x1
    60kg x5
    ---
    Reverse Fly
    5kg per arm, x8 x8 x8 x8 x8

17.5kg per arm, x5
    12.5kg per arm, x5 x5 x5 x5
    ---

The gym weighing scales reckons I'm 70kg, whilst the home ones say 71kg.

Tonight is the gym party. All the chavs were there for the last hour getting some last minute pump before heading out. These are the guys you would never see in there at all... coming out of the woodwork all over the place. God help any woman in that place tonight.

Had a donut during work as some fellow brought them in for his birthday. At home I had 3 chocolates to see if they would give me any extra energy before the gym. I probably should feel guilty, but since I'm feeling good, fit and healthy I don't care. I never eat crap usually or drink much these days.

Friday December 14th:

Run 3km (14:07mins, 258 cals) ... I did 2km in about 8:40mins, from 13kmph at start up to 15.5kmph, then had to slow down for a while. No energy today. Had planned on doing 5km
    ---
    Pull Ups
    x12 x8 x4 x2 x1

Lateral Raise (dumbbell)
    8kg x5 x5 x5 x5 x5 ... tried this one arm at a time for a change, to see if I would use my opposing obliques. I think I did. Also, less energy is sapped as you are only doing half the work at a time, which allowed me to recover from the pull up supersets
    ---
    Seated Row (pulley)
    33.75kg x10 x10
    38.75kg x10 x10
    43.75kg x10 x10

Calf Raise (on a step, holding pulley frame for balance)
    x10 x10 x10 ... would prefer doing these without holding onto something
    x10 x10 x10
    ---
    Serratus Crunch
    8kg dumbbell per arm, x8 x8 x8

Calf Raise (feet flat)
    x10 x10 x10

My chest and triceps are killing me after yesterdays dips, pushups and bench pressing. I was thinking about attempting the Trident "as many pushups in 2 minutes" challenge today, but that will have to wait until at least tomorrow, if not Sunday.

No pain, no gain I guess.

Saturday December 15th:

Pull Ups
    x3 x3 x3

Hanging Leg Raise (knees to shoulders)
    x3 x3 x3

Weight Crunch Machine (15kg at feet)
    x15 x15 x15 ... abs almost snapped on the 2nd set. Took it easier on the 3rd
    ---
    Deadlift (standard)
    70kg x8
    80kg x8
    90kg x8

100kg x1
    100kg x1
    100kg x1

90kg x4
    80kg x4
    70kg x4

Bicep Curl (dumbbell)
    15kg per arm, alternating
    x3 x3 x3
    x3 x3 x3
    x3 x3 x3
    ---
    One Arm Dumbbell Row
    15kg per arm, alternating
    x10 x10 x10 ... palm facing bench
    x10 x10 x10 ... palm facing back foot
    ---
    Single Leg Split Squat
    bodyweight per leg, alternating
    x8 x8 x8

Monday December 17th:

Row 5mins (~1080 metres, 62 cals)
    ---
    Press Ups
    45 in 40 secs
    30 in 34 secs
    20 in 24 secs

Weighted Crunch Machine (10kg at feet)
    x15 x15 x15
    ---
    Single Leg Split Squat
    bodyweight per leg, alternating x 10 x10 x10
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    70kg x1.25 ... didn't really do two full deep ones here
    60kg x3
    60kg x3
    60kg x3

Press Ups
    x20
    x15
    x15
    x15
    ---
    Squat
    45kg x5
    65kg x5
    60kg x5

45kg x5
    45kg x5
    45kg x5

Reverse Fly (dumbbell)
    5kg
    x5 x5 x5
    x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Bench Presss (dumbbell, steep incline)
    20kg per arm, x8 x8 x8

Calf Raise (standing, flat foot with dumbbells)
    20kg per arm, x10 x10 x10
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)
    5kg x25 x20 x15 x10 x10

Front Raise (dumbbell)
    5kg per arm, alternating x5 x5 x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Lat Pull Down
    50kg x5 x5 x5

Calf Raise
    bodyweight x10 x10 x10
    ---

Lots of press ups today. They got me pretty sore the other day so they must be good!

• Advertisement

Monday December 17th pm:

Swim 750 metres

Started off front crawl, alternated with breast stroke every 100m. Took exactly 20 minutes. I had the pool to myself, plus three life guards!

A bit knackered during the swim due to the gym this morning. Possibly could have been a minute or two quicker if I had been a bit fresher. My technique got all sloshy about half way through and I started to get a headache from not breathing properly, so I slowed down a bit.

Wednesday December 19th:

Pull Ups (narrow-ish, palms away)
    x5 x5 x5 x5 x5

Dips
    x5 x5 x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Press Ups
    x30 x20 x10

Reverse Fly (dumbbell)
    7.5kg per arm, x8 x8 x8
    ---
    Squat
    40kg x8 x8 x8 x8 x8

12.5kg per arm, x5 x5 x5 x5 x5
    ---

Short session today. Squat at 40kg is about max I can manage with what I think is perfect form. I can now really feel my glutes and other bits and pieces down there getting engaged in the party.

Thursday December 20th:

Deadlift
    75kg x3
    85kg x3
    95kg x3

105kg x1
    115kg x fail ... got 2 mm off the floor then clunk
    110kg x1

100kg x1
    90kg x1
    80kg x1

70kg x3 x3 x3 x3 x3
    ---
    Military Press (standing, oly bar)
    45kg x4 x3 x2 x1

Bicep Curl
    17.5kg x3 x3 x3 x3
    ---
    One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    12.5kg per arm, alternating, x10 x10 x10
    17.5kg per arm, alternating, x5 x5 x5

Bench Press (dumbbell)
    17.5kg per arm, one arm at a time, other hand on hip
    x8 x8 x8
    x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrow grip, parallel)
    x5 x5 x5

Hanging Leg Raises
    x5 x5 x5

Serratus Crunch
    10kg dumbbell per arm, x8 x8 x8
    ---
    Floor Fly
    10kg dumbbell per arm, x8

Floor press
    10kg dumbbell per arm, x8
    ---
    Lateral Raise
    10kg dumbbell per arm, one arm at a time x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Lunges
    bodyweight, x20
    5kg per arm, x20
    10kg per arm, x10

I was fairly hungry after the gym today. In my exhuberance I scoffed 4 chicken breasts with veg (2 onions, 1 pepper, a few carrots... no pasta / rice). I was absolutely stuff until about now! Highly recommended.

Friday December 21st:

Pull Ups & Hanging Leg Raises (together)
    x8
    ---
    Lat Pull Down
    50kg 5 x 5
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    60kg 5 x 5
    ---
    Squat
    40kg 5 x5

Pull Ups (to squat bar)
    1 x 5 ... i.e. did one pull up to the bar before each set of squats
    ---
    Skipping ...A few minutes hopping around in the aerobics studio. I'm hoping this will be an interesting addition to my cardio for the new year.
    ---

Today I was fairly tired after yesterday's workout, so had a short-ish session of about 40 minutes. Also tried out my new skipping rope which was fun. Next time I will ensure dinner is at least 90 minutes before using the rope though.

In other news, I proposed to Green Athene and she said yes :)

Monday December 24th:

Cross Trainer ... a few minutes. Had to stop as was barefoot which was painful
    ---
    Press Ups
    x25

Situps
    x25

Squats
    bodyweight x25
    ---

No access to a gym until next year as in Czech Rep for xmas, so making use of what is at hand.

Tuesday December 25th:

Cross Trainer ... 5 minutes
    ---
    Press Ups
    x25

Situps
    x25

Squats
    bodyweight x25 ... feel over backwards about 5 times doing these, upon reaching bottom. I am trying to sit back into them as much as possible in prep for getting back to the gym next year
    ---

Thursday December 27th

Cross Trainer ... 5 minutes
    ---
    Squats
    bodyweight x25

Press Ups
    x25

Situps
    x25

Monday December 31st:

Lateral Raise (dumbell)
    2.2kg per arm, x20

Front Raise (dumbell)
    2.2kg per arm, x20

Bicep Curl (dumbell)
    2.2kg per arm, x20

Reverse Fly (dumbell)
    2.2kg per arm, x20

Standing Military Press (dumbell)
    2.2kg per arm, x20

Deadlift (dumbell)
    2.2kg per arm, x20

The above was done in a Latvian sauna with max dumbells of 2.2kg available.

• Advertisement

Wednesday January 2nd:

Squat
    20kg x8
    40kg x8
    40kg x8
    40kg x8
    20kg x8

Military Press (standing)
    20kg x8
    40kg x8
    40kg x8
    40kg x7
    20kg x8
    ---
    One Arm Row (dumbell) ... palm towards bench
    17.5kg per arm, x10 x10 x10
    ---
    Bench Press (steep incline, dumbell)
    17.5kg per arm, x8 x8 x8

Reverse Fly
    5kg per arm, x8 x8 x8
    ---
    Deadlift
    80kg x8 x8 x4 x4 ...the last set of 4 were done after bench below. I felt really weak doing these and had to take a break

Bicep Curl
    17.5kg per arm, x3 x3 x2
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg x20 x20 x20 x20 x20 ... just oly bar, narrow grip
    ---

Back home in London this evening. Dumped the luggage and headed to the gym after a gap of 10 days or so over xmas. Weak, drained, slightly ill, headache and sniffling... probably due to Latvian and Lithuanian snow treks. A good time was had but it is now time to get back down to it. Before that I was around the Czech Republic for a week and my diet was out of my hands.

Weighted myself when I got home tonight...will do it again in the morning. No irreparable damage seems to have been done over xmas in terms of weight gain. Exact measurements to follow tomorrow.

Advertisement