Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tuesday November 26th: Smolov JR Bench Day 3 of 12

Bench ... ALL PAUSED
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 8x4 ... fine
    *add slingshot*
    85kg - 1x3
    95kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3 ... fine

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Lat Pull Down
    65kg - 1x8
    70kg - 1x8
    75kg - 1x8 ... just one setting off max stack. Form getting a bit sloppy

One Arm DB Row
    30kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Face Pulls
    Setting 5 - 1x10 ... someone jumped in on this pulley before I got to sets 2 & 3. I left as was rushing to airport
    ---

Fine. Easier than expected on Bench day 3 of Smolov Jr.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday November 28th:

Sumo Deadlift (with belt)
    60kg - 1x6
    85kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x2
    117.5kg - 3x6 ... fine. Was slightly tired. Coach watched these
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 3x8 ... trying not to let heels budget off ground
    ---
    Front Squat
    57.5kg - 3x10 ... felt fine
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    bodyweight - 3x8
    ---

Back in Melbourne for another flying visit. Coach checked out my sumo deads. Said I was getting pulled slightly forward & should try to keep shins more vertical as it looked like I'm trying to turn it into slight conventional. On the whole he thought they weren't too bad though.

Friday November 29th: Smolov JR Bench Day 4 of 12

Bench
    20kg - 1x5 ... PAUSED
    60kg - 1x5 ... PAUSED
    75kg - 1x3 ... PAUSED
    85kg - 10x3 ... PAUSED first two sets, but due to screwed up markings I went back to TNG for last 8 sets.
    *add slingshot*
    90kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x2f ... failed on second rep when going for 3. Was wrecked from the 10x3 beforehand.

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Lat Pull Down (with scap retraction)
    60kg - 3x8

One Arm DB Row
    30kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    DB Curls
    10kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Got through day 4 of smolov jr ok. Started off on crappy bar in main gym which didn't have correct markings so was too wide. Changed to the heavy weights room and the rest of the sets were fine from 6-10.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

When you say added slingshot, What is this a resistance band ?

It's a bench training tool invented by Mark Bell. Google "Mark Bell slingshot" or check out howmuchyabench.net. It allows you to take ~110% of your max bench through a normal ROM/groove. It's not exactly a resistance band... more like a supportive tube top!

My paused competition 1 rep max is 100kg... but I've done 110kg with the slingshot. Could potentially do more, but don't have a spotter so playing it safe.

It'll help get the bar moving through the sticking point. Whatever you can do a paused triple in the slingshot will be around what you should be able to do for a paused 1 rep max in competition.

I try to do 3 additional slingshot sets at the end of every normal bench session for the sake of overload. It has gotten me used to lifting off heavier weights alone. Just need to be careful not too overuse it and make sure that you pause at the bottom to build some starting strength. Also have to be careful that you actually have enough gas left to get through the sticking points after a long normal bench session, ... 'cos if you don't get through the sticking point with the slingshot then you're going to have 110%+ of your bench coming down on top of you. Try to use a spotter & face savers/safety pins.

More info here:

The Sling Shot was invented by world class powerlifter Mark Bell (545 lb. raw Bench, 854 lb. equipped Bench) to help lifters bench more weight safely and without pain. The Sling Shot is easy to put on, easy to use and will help maintain correct form. It is suitable for lifters of all ages and strength levels. The Sling Shot is a supportive upper body device that allows you to handle more weight while bench pressing. The Sling Shot can assist in pushups and dips as well. The Sling Shot will allow you to handle about a 10% overload in the bench press while avoiding the pain that comes along with pushing your body to the limit. The Sling Shot can assist any athlete looking to increase upper body strength. The Sling Shot mimics natural muscle movement, by lengthening and shortening with the muscles thus giving support on the eccentric and concentric phase of a bench press. This effect can greatly reduce stress on the shoulders, elbows, and chest. The Original Sling Shot is a more aggressive model and best for lifters using medium to heavy weights (over 315lbs.). Sling Shot Size Sling Shot Size Weight (lbs) Medium Under 140 lbs Large 141-180 lbs XL 181-220 lbs 2XL 221-300 lbs 3XL Over 300 lbs *PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU ARE REALLY TALL (OVER 6'4") OR HAVE ESPECIALLY BIG FOREARMS, YOU NEED TO ORDER ONE SIZE LARGER!!!!! Remember, If you can't get it over your forearm, you can't wear it. If you are not sure what size you need, it's best to error on the side of too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Really like the sound of that, very cool piece of equipment. Do you find it helps improve your bench much ?

Too early to tell. I've been using it about 2 months now. Made the error of not pausing the reps in last cycle which meant I could unrack and power through 100%+ on the midpoint of the ROM... but not get it started off chest in comp when going for 1 rep max. This cycle I'm pausing most reps.

Monday November 25th:

60kg - 1x6
    82.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat ... made videos of all these
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    117.5kg - 3x6 ... pb for 3x6. Video of 2nd and 3 sets follow. Easy
    ---
    Front Squat
    60kg - 3x10 ... easy
    ---
    Ham Curl
    40kg - 3x10
    ---
    Calves (standing, frame)
    80kg - 1x10
    100kg - 1x10
    120kg - 1x10
    ---

Happy enough to have gotten front squat from 20kg to 60kg by adding 2.5kg per session. Feels solid now.

Squats felt easy.

BossArky wrote: »
    Monday November 25th:

Squat ... made videos of all these
    117.5kg - 3x6 ... pb for 3x6. Video of 2nd and 3 sets follow. Easy

Tuesday December 3rd: Smolov JR Bench Day 5 of 12

Bench ... ALL PAUSED
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 6x6 ... fine
    *add slingshot*
    90kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3 ... fine

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Lat Pull Down
    65kg - 3x8

One Arm DB Row
    30kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    BB Curlz
    42.5kg - 3x6 ... fine when wrists wrapped
    ---

Starting power off chest after pause feels good.

I bit the bullet and added 5kg (vs. 2.5kg) for the 2nd round of Smolov jnr. Was thinking I may add 2.5kg due to the spotterless dangers... but hey, you only live once :pac:

• Advertisement

Thursday December 5th:

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    122.5kg - 3x5 ... pretty easy. Video to follow
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 3x5
    ---
    Front Squat
    62.5kg - 3x8 ... fine. Video to follow
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    bodyweight - 1x8
    bodyweight +20kg - 1x8
    bodyweight +25kg - 1x8 ... video to follow
    bodyweight +30kg - 1x8 ... video to follow
    ---

Today sees the cycle hit the 3x5 stage. Everything felt easy.

Haven't been tracking food or bodyweight in great detail the last week or so. Still eating a lot and think weight is on the way up. Will check in the next day or two.

Thursday December 5th:
    122.5kg - 3x5 ... pretty easy. Video to follow

BossArky wrote:
    Front Squat
    62.5kg - 3x8 ... fine. Video to follow

BossArky wrote:
    45 Degree Back Raise
    bodyweight +25kg - 1x8 ... video to follow
    bodyweight +30kg - 1x8 ... video to follow

Friday December 6th: Smolov JR Bench Day 6 of 12

Bench ... ALL PAUSED
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 7x5 ... fine. Video of last 2 sets to follow
    *add slingshot*
    90kg - 1x3 ... video to follow
    100kg - 1x3 ... video to follow
    105kg - 1x3 ... video to follow

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Lat Pull Down
    70kg - 3x8

One Arm DB Row (dead stop)
    30kg per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Calves (standing, frame)
    70kg - 1x12
    110kg - 1x12
    130kg - 1x12
    ---

Bench was fine. Video'd the last 5 sets. Suprised to see the misalignment of my feet. This could be why I manage to lock out my left arm first before right when weight gets towards 1RM in competitions. Need to find a better way of setting up so that both feet are even. Particularly apparent in the sets where I videoed from directly behind.

Really enjoying training these days.

Friday December 6th: Smolov JR Bench Day 6 of 12

Bench ... ALL PAUSED
    80kg - 7x5 ... fine. Video of last 2 sets to follow
    *add slingshot*
    90kg - 1x3 ... video to follow
    100kg - 1x3 ... video to follow
    105kg - 1x3 ... video to follow

Bench was fine. Video'd the last 5 sets. Suprised to see the misalignment of my feet. This could be why I manage to lock out my left arm first before right when weight gets towards 1RM in competitions. Need to find a better way of setting up so that both feet are even. Particularly apparent in the sets where I videoed from directly behind.

Saturday December 7th:

Cycle 13.9km with BabyArky in bike trailer. Last 5 km was a walk as back tire got a puncture.

Monday December 9th:

60kg - 1x6
    82.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    122.5kg - 3x5 ... fine. Video of 3rd set to follow
    ---
    Front Squat
    65kg - 3x8
    ---
    Ham Curl
    40kg - 3x8
    ---
    Calves (standing, frame) ... assuming all plates were 20s even though I know some were 25s
    40kg - 1x12
    80kg - 1x12
    120kg - 1x12
    ---

Good.

Monday December 9th:

Squat
    122.5kg - 3x5 ... fine. Video of 3rd set to follow

Tuesday December 10th: Smolov JR Bench Day 7 of 12

Bench ... ALL PAUSED
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x3
    85kg - 8x4 ... fine
    *add slingshot*
    90kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Lat Pull Down
    75kg - 3x8

25kg per arm - 3x8 ... used 25s as 30s were taken. Concentrated on stopping at both ends of ROM and trying to feel lats engage
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    40kg - 3x6
    ---

Good. Knackered afterwards due to the above and Squats the previous day.

Thursday December 12th:

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    127.5kg - 3x5 ... Fine. Video of sets 2 & 3 to follow
    ---
    Squat ... all PAUSED at bottom
    60kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 3x5
    ---
    Front Squat
    67.5kg - 3x8 ... fine
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    bodyweight - 1x8
    bodyweight +20kg - 1x8
    bodyweight +25kg - 1x8
    bodyweight +30kg - 1x8
    bodyweight +35kg - 1x8
    ---
    Calves (standing, frame) ... assuming all plates were 20s even though I know some were 25s
    40kg - 1x12
    80kg - 1x12
    120kg - 1x12
    ---

127.5kg is the heaviest I've deadlift for 3x5 in 2+ years. Felt fine. Will throw up video later. That's 2.5kg above what my last deadlift cycle finished on. This cycle will finish 3x5s next week on 132.5kg, then doubles on 140kg.

Thursday December 12th:

127.5kg - 3x5 ... Fine. Video of sets 2 & 3 to follow

127.5kg is the heaviest I've deadlift for 3x5 in 2+ years. Felt fine. Will throw up video later. That's 2.5kg above what my last deadlift cycle finished on. This cycle will finish 3x5s next week on 132.5kg, then doubles on 140kg.

Still uploading and processing on youtube so should be available below in a few minutes.

• Advertisement

Friday December 13th: Smolov JR Bench Day 8 of 12

Bench ... touch & go, not paused
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x3
    90kg - 10x3 ... alrighty
    *add slingshot*
    95kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Lat Pull Down
    60kg - 3x8

20kg per arm - 3x8 ... Concentrated on stopping at both ends of ROM and trying to feel lats engage. Easier with 20kgs (light) vs 25s or 30s from previous sessions
    ---
    Face Pulls
    Setting 5 - 3x10
    ---

2/3s of the way through Smolov.Jr for Bench. Pretty confident that I'll now finish the whole thing without missing reps. 90kg 10x3 was alright. Never in danger of missing a rep. Did this session touch & go, vs paused though. Will pause the first three sessions of each round and touch and go the last. That should give me enough paused practice, but the safety of not stapling myself on the 10x3 sessions.

Monday December 16th:

60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    95kg - 1x3
    115kg - 1x2
    127.5kg - 3x5 ... fine. First set was hardest then rest were ok. Got videos of all 3 sets but accidently deleted them before exporting from iMovie. Depth was good.
    ---
    Front Squat
    70kg - 3x5 ... fine
    ---
    Ham Curl
    40kg - 3x8
    ---
    40kg - 1x12
    80kg - 1x12
    120kg - 1x12
    ---

Took longer than usual between these Squat sets. Was feeling pretty jelly legged the past few days due to a number of 40 degree days back to back. Was at the Ashes cricket this morning for a few hours before Squatting. Sitting outside in the baking sun had me slightly hot and dehydrated so went home to bed before gym. Pity Australia didn't win the series outright whilst I was sat there. Powerlifting is more important than Cricket, hence I left to get my sets done.

Weighed myself yesterday morning (Monday Dec 16th) and was 85.2kg. Mission accomplished :pac: As a reminder I started out at the beginning of Nov trying to gain a few kg to get from 82 to 85kg by year end.

Weighed myself again this morning (Tuesday Dec 17th) and was 84.8kg. Probably pretty dehydrated due to the heat overnight. It's roasting. Will keep the weight gain going until end of year to finish this cycle strong.

Tuesday December 17th: Smolov JR Bench Day 9 of 12

Bench ... ALL PAUSED
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    77.5kg - 6x6 ... easy peasy
    *add slingshot*
    95kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Lat Pull Down
    65kg - 3x8

One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm - 3x8 ... Going light & concentrated on lat contraction
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    40kg - 3x6
    ---

Day 9 of 12 for Smolov Jr. Easy. Not getting much DOMs from bench.

The front squats twice a week are keeping my mid to upper back in a permanent state of DOMs on an area the size of a tennis ball.

Bodyweight still on the climb, as planned. My wardrobe is reaching the limits of elasticity to house my increasing frame.

Thursday December 19th:

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x2
    132.5kg - 3x5 ... Easy. Video of set 3 to follow
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 3x5
    ---
    Front Squat
    72.5kg - 3x5 ... fine
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    bodyweight - 1x8
    bodyweight +20kg - 1x8
    bodyweight +30kg - 1x8
    bodyweight +40kg - 1x8
    ---
    40kg - 1x12
    80kg - 1x12
    120kg - 1x12
    ---

Deadlifts were shockingly easy considering it was the last 3x5s of this cycle. Happy how they have been building up nicely. Will finish cycle on 140kg 2x2 next week.

Took my father to the gym with me and spend a good while taking him through exercises and giving him ideas for his own training.

Thursday December 19th:

132.5kg - 3x5 ... Easy. Video of set 3 to follow

Deadlifts were shockingly easy considering it was the last 3x5s of this cycle. Happy how they have been building up nicely. Will finish cycle on 140kg 2x2 next week.

Friday December 20th: Smolov JR Bench Day 10 of 12

Bench ... ALL PAUSED
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 7x5 ... easy
    *add slingshot*
    95kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3 ... easy & video to follow

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Lat Pull Down
    70kg - 3x8

One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm - 3x8 ... light
    ---

Bench day 10 of 12. Still easy. Was with my mother in gym showing her stuff which was fun.

Friday December 20th: Smolov JR Bench Day 10 of 12

Bench ... ALL PAUSED
    *add slingshot*
    105kg - 1x3 ... easy & video to follow

Bench day 10 of 12. Still easy

Noticed afterwards that feet are still uneven.

Saturday December 21st:

Cycle 16.8km with BabyArky in bike trailer.

• Advertisement

Sunday December 22st:

Cycle 14km with BabyArky in bike trailer.

Advertisement