Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Friday January 24th: Smolov Jr. Cycle 2 - Bench Day 6 of 12

Agile 8 i.e. De Franco mobility / warm up
    1. foam roll IT bands
    2. foam roll adductors
    3. foam roll glutes
    4. fire hydrants
    5. V sits tumble thing
    6. groiners
    7. mountain climbers
    8. hip flexor stretch
    --
    Bench *all paused*
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    72.5kg - 1x3
    82.5kg - 7x5 ... easy
    *add slingshot*
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x1 ... fine

Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +5kg - 3x6

BB Row (wide grip = pinky on rings)
    55kg - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg per arm - 3x8 ... dead stop on ground between each rep
    ---
    Face Pulls (yellow band)
    3x10

Barbell Curls
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    Prowler
    no added weight - 6 lengths walking on the astro
    ---
    I've been looking for a decent warm up routine. Was reading about De Franco's Agile 8. Tried it out and got a good sweat going. Could be good ahead of lower body days. Also threw in some backward bends, external rotations and shoulder dislocates (i.e. usual warm up).

Bench was easy. Feeling very solid and powerful from the pause at the bottom. Neighbour is telling me that I'm looking bigger than last time I saw him about a month ago, so seems Smolov Jr is delivering.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Saturday January 25th:

Surfing
    ---

Good conditions. Offshore (easterly) wind and waves not too wild. Really enjoyed that. One of the more enjoyable surf experiences.

Monday January 27th:

Sumo Deadlift (with belt)
    60kg - 1x6
    85kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    *belt*
    90kg - 1x3
    112.5kg - 1x2
    125kg - 3x5 ... videos of all 3 sets to follow
    ---
    Front Squat
    72.5kg - 3x5 ... videos of sets 2 and 3 to follow
    ---
    45 Degree Back Raise
    no weight - 3x10
    ---
    Ham Curl (seated machine)
    18kg - 1x10
    23kg - 1x10
    27kg - 1x10
    ---

Different gym again today. The new new that I joined isn't open on public holidays, so I used a free pass at another local gym. 3rd gym I've used this cycle, which meant more slight confusion getting used to the bars and plates in there. I'm convinced that the 20kg plates have a smaller radius than the typical 20kg plates. Deadlifts felt like a deficit.

Wasn't planning to video the Squats, but glad I did. Not sure if it was the bar markings causing my grip to differ (narrow grip = trying to stay more upright and not get to depth as well), but I was shocked at the depth of the first set. Awkward angle but they seemed high.

Changed angle of video recording for 2nd set and they again seemed borderline.

For the 3rd set I took a wider grip (i.e. lower bar'd it more) and the depth was way better. Feel it much more in the adductors with low bar. That explains why my adductors were killing me last week.

Went to the beach afterwards. Think that makes it 6 days in a row. Messed about in the water with bodyboard... which is way less strenuous (i.e. not at all) than surfing, so don't bother logging that stuff.

Knees slightly sore which I'm putting down to running around so much in the sand the past few days.

BossArky wrote: »
    Monday January 27th:

Squat
    125kg - 3x5 ... videos of all 3 sets to follow
    ---

Wasn't planning to video the Squats, but glad I did. Not sure if it was the bar markings causing my grip to differ (narrow grip = trying to stay more upright and not get to depth as well), but I was shocked at the depth of the first set. Awkward angle but they seemed high.

Changed angle of video recording for 2nd set and they again seemed borderline.

For the 3rd set I took a wider grip (i.e. lower bar'd it more) and the depth was way better. Feel it much more in the adductors with low bar. That explains why my adductors were killing me last week.

Front Squat
    72.5kg - 3x5 ... videos of sets 2 and 3 to follow

Tuesday January 28th: Smolov Jr. Cycle 2 - Bench Day 7 of 12

Bench *all paused*
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x2
    87.5kg - 8x4 ... fine
    *add slingshot*
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x1

Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +5kg - 3x6

BB Row
    57.5kg - 3x10 ... adding 2.5kg per session still

One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg per arm - 3x8 ... dead stop on ground between each rep
    ---

Elbows slightly achey today on bench which I'll put down to low bar Squats yesterday. Rushed through bench sets and all fine. Feeling strong on bench.

• Advertisement

Thursday January 30th:

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    125kg - 1x1
    135kg - 3x5 ... fine. Videos to follow of all 3 sets
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    85kg - 3x5 ... again experimenting with slightly wider grip than usual and head down on 2nd and 3rd set. Videos of all 3 sets to follow.
    ---
    Front Squat
    75kg - 3x5 ... video'd first set
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x5 ... video'd all sets to check angle. Need to put the back foot pad up to the highest notch to get totally horizontal. Currently one off highest. Thought I was horizonal in bottom position so glad I found out via video that I wasn't
    ---

Deadlifts felt good.

135kg - 3x5 ... fine. Videos to follow of all 3 sets
    ---

Deadlifts felt good

Squat
    85kg - 3x5 ... again experimenting with slightly wider grip than usual and head down on 2nd and 3rd set. Videos of all 3 sets to follow.

Just videos of 2nd & 3rd set. Deleted first as it was sideways for some reason.

Front Squat
    75kg - 3x5 ... video'd first set

Glute Ham Raise
    3x5 ... video'd all sets to check angle. Need to put the back foot pad up to the highest notch to get totally horizontal. Currently one off highest. Thought I was horizonal in bottom position so glad I found out via video that I wasn't

Friday January 31st: Smolov Jr. Cycle 2 - Bench Day 8 of 12

Bench *paused the warm ups& last slingshot set, but did 10x3 touch & go*
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x2
    85kg - 1x1
    92.5kg - 10x3
    *add slingshot*
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x1

Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +5kg - 3x6

60kg - 3x10 ... video to follow. Checking form.

One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10 ... dead stop on ground between each rep
    ---
    Face Pulls (yellow band)
    3x10
    ---

This bench session (smolov jr. cycle 2, day 8 of 12) equals what I did at the end of last cycle (smolov jr. cycle 1, day 12 of 12). The next 4 sessions will see the 10x3 get to 95kg.... to break new ground by 2.5kg.

Eblows a bit achey still. Sets themselves were ok on bench. Bit of a rush as got to gym late. Flew through the first 5 worksets and then took it a bit easier for the rest.

4 warm ups + 10 work sets + 3 slingshot sets = 17 bench sets in total. This better be worth it :pac:

Video'd the barbell rows to see if the image of my form in my head equates to reality. It does, sorta.

60kg - 3x10 ... video to follow. Checking form.

Video'd the barbell rows to see if the image of my form in my head equates to reality. It does, sorta.

Saturday February 1st:

Cycle ~13km with BabyArky in trailer

• Advertisement

Monday February 4th:

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    122.5kg - 1x1
    130kg - 3x5 ... almost perfect! Videos of all 3 sets to follow
    ---
    Front Squat
    77.5kg - 3x5 ... tough. 2.5kg up on last cycle
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x5
    ---

Squats were awesome. Best heavy sets of my powerlifting career. Low bar and gaze down. You cannot see it from the video but on the 3rd rep of 3rd set I got pulled a tiny bit forward. That was the only thing of note. The rest were perfect. Happy.

Front Squats were heavy. Almost reracked after 1st and 2nd reps in 1st set. Persevered and got it done. Wanted to add 2.5kg to last cycle top sets. Next Front Squats will be high reps / low weights until this cycle is complete.

Squat
    130kg - 3x5 ... almost perfect! Videos of all 3 sets to follow

Squats were awesome. Best heavy sets of my powerlifting career. Low bar and gaze down. You cannot see it from the video but on the 3rd rep of 3rd set I got pulled a tiny bit forward. That was the only thing of note. The rest were perfect. Happy.

Tuesday February 4th: Smolov Jr. Cycle 2 - Bench Day 9 of 12

Bench *all paused*
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 6x6 ... alightly but elbows achey from Squats
    *add slingshot*
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3 ... on the second attempt. First attempt = bar ended up on ground
    107.5kg - 1x1 ... fine, but left it at just 1 rep again

Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +5kg - 3x6

BB Row
    60kg - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10 ... dead stop on ground between each rep. Feeling these nicely in the lats nowadays. Maybe due to following the BB rows.
    ---

Elbows achey from Squats the day before. 80kg paused 6x6 was alrightly on bench... however managed to dump all the plates off the right side of the bar on the 105kg set. This lead to an OOOOOHHH ****!!! moment as I was holding the bar and seeing this happen in slow-mo. The bar ended up standing bolt upright on the left side of the bench with two twenties and a 2.5 at its base... like a rocket. Lesson learnt. Use clips. I've now got face savers/spotting thingy on this bench so cannot kill myself if using clips.

Pretty knackered after Squats yesterday.

Thursday February 6th:

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    125kg - 1x1
    137.5kg - 3x5 ... fine. Videos of all 3 sets to follow
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    90kg - 3x5
    ---
    Front Squat
    60kg - 3x5

Glute Ham Raise
    3x5
    ---

Deadlifting 137.5kg is the peak of the 3x5s this cycle. Next week I'll do 145kg 2x2. Felt fine. Sets got progressively better. Seem to be pulled forward a tiny bit in the first set as the bar leaves the floor.

137.5kg - 3x5 ... fine. Videos of all 3 sets to follow

Deadlifting 137.5kg is the peak of the 3x5s this cycle. Next week I'll do 145kg 2x2. Felt fine. Sets got progressively better. Seem to be pulled forward a tiny bit in the first set as the bar leaves the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Was just wondering how do you do the fading from one set into the next? It's a handy tool to have rather than uploading loads of sets separately.

I create my videos with iphone and either of the following apps:
    • Splice = free and limited functionality, but enough for gym vids
    • iMovie = costs a small bit, but has more functionality than you need for simple gym vids

Both allow you to combine multiple separate vids into one and include fades, etc.

I used Splice a lot initially. It is fine. Only problem is it takes up heaps and heaps of mbs for storing vids and past projects. I would have to keep uninstalling it to clean out the disk space and then reinstall ahead of each new video.

tl;dr --> iMovie.

Friday February 7th: Smolov Jr. Cycle 2 - Bench Day 10 of 12

Bench *all paused*
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x2
    85kg - 7x5 ... alightly but elbows achey from Squats. Video of last set to follow
    *add slingshot*
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x1

Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +5kg - 3x6

BB Row
    60kg - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    BB Curlz
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

I remember how I struggled through 85kg 10x3 touch & go on day 3 of smolov cycle 1. Now I'm doing the same weight for 7x5 paused. Nice.

Friday February 7th: Smolov Jr. Cycle 2 - Bench Day 10 of 12

Bench *all paused*
    85kg - 7x5 ... alightly but elbows achey from Squats. Video of last set to follow
    ---

I remember how I struggled through 85kg 10x3 touch & go on day 3 of smolov cycle 1. Now I'm doing the same weight for 7x5 paused. Nice.

Monday February 10th:

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    90kg - 1x3
    112.5kg - 1x2
    125kg - 1x1
    132.5kg - 3x5 ... equals all time 3x5 pb. Good. Videos of set 2&3 to follow. Recorded set 1 sideways so won't bother including in montage
    ---
    Front Squat
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x5
    ---

Delighted my Squat 3x5 is back up to all time personal best levels set 2.5 years ago. Next cycle will break new ground ahead of comp on April 12th.

• Advertisement

Squat
    132.5kg - 3x5 ... equals all time 3x5 pb. Good. Videos of set 2&3 to follow. Recorded set 1 sideways so won't bother including in montage
    ---

Delighted my Squat 3x5 is back up to all time personal best levels set 2.5 years ago. Next cycle will break new ground ahead of comp on April 12th.

Tuesday February 11th: Smolov Jr. Cycle 2 - Bench Day11 of 12

Bench *all paused*
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x2
    82.5kg - 1x1
    90kg - 8x4 ... eblows very achey. No problems strengthwise but foot positioning dodgy & caused me to hit side supports a few times. Videos of sets 5-8 to follow.
    *add slingshot*
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x1 ... vids of all slingshot sets to follow

Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +5kg - 3x6

BB Row
    60kg - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Arrived at gym 3pm. Left 5:30pm. Jesus.

Bench *all paused*
    90kg - 8x4 ... eblows very achey. No problems strengthwise but foot positioning dodgy & caused me to hit side supports a few times. Videos of sets 5-8 to follow.

*add slingshot*
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3

Arrived at gym 3pm. Left 5:30pm. Jesus.

Thursday February 13th:

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    125kg - 1x1
    135kg - 1x1
    145kg - 2x2 ... meh. Videos of both sets to follow. Tired
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    90kg - 3x5
    ---
    Front Squat
    60kg - 3x5

Glute Ham Raise
    3x5
    ---

So tired. Didn't sleep last night. Deadlift wasn't particularly hard, just real sloppy and felt like I was dragged forward on each rep of both sets. On second set I set up all wrong and was miles from bar when started pulling. Started new job the day beforehand. The mini stress of that, the heavy Squats from Monday & lack of sleep adding up. Will be fine with some decent recovery.

Anyway, that is the end of this deadlift cycle. It was pretty easy. None of the weeks were particularly taxing to be honest. Still building up strength again. Will take a mini deload next week (after Squat 2x2 on Monday) and then one more cycle which will peak 5kg heavier ahead of comp in April.

Thursday February 13th:

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    125kg - 1x1
    135kg - 1x1
    145kg - 2x2 ... meh. Videos of both sets to follow. Tired

So tired. Didn't sleep last night. Deadlift wasn't particularly hard, just real sloppy and felt like I was dragged forward on each rep of both sets. On second set I set up all wrong and was miles from bar when started pulling. Started new job the day beforehand. The mini stress of that, the heavy Squats from Monday & lack of sleep adding up. Will be fine with some decent recovery.

Anyway, that is the end of this deadlift cycle. It was pretty easy. None of the weeks were particularly taxing to be honest. Still building up strength again. Will take a mini deload next week (after Squat 2x2 on Monday) and then one more cycle which will peak 5kg heavier ahead of comp in April.

Friday February 14th: Smolov Jr. Cycle 2 - Bench Day 12 of 12

Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x2
    87.5kg - 1x1
    95kg - 10x3 ... good through it. Eblows very achey still. Vids of sets 6-10 to follow
    *add slingshot*
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3

Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    bodyweight +5kg - 3x6

BB Row
    60kg - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Successfully completed second Smolov Jr. Bench cycle. Elbows so sore.

Went up two short sizes due to all that benching in the past couple of months. Had to go out and buy a new wardrobe for new job. Previous shirts were painted onto me when I tried them at beginning of the week.

Friday February 14th: Smolov Jr. Cycle 2 - Bench Day 12 of 12

Bench
    95kg - 10x3 ... good through it. Eblows very achey still. Vids of sets 6-10 to follow
    ---

Successfully completed second Smolov Jr. Bench cycle. Elbows so sore.

Went up two shirt sizes due to all that benching in the past couple of months. Had to go out and buy a new wardrobe for new job. Previous shirts were painted onto me when I tried them at beginning of the week.

... and the slingshot sets.

All in all 17 sets of bench last night (4 warm up, 10 worksets, 3 slinghot). Started benching at 8pm. Finished at 10:15pm.

Bench
    *add slingshot*
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3

Saturday February 15th:

Cycle 13.2km with BabyArky in the bike trailer.

• Advertisement

Monday February 17th: last day of this cycle

60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    122.5kg - 1x1
    132.5kg - 1x1
    140kg - 2x2 ... Fine. Videos of both sets to follow. Equals all time 2x2 pb. I think... or is 2.5kg over it. Need to check back 2.5 years ago
    ---
    Front Squat
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x5
    ---

That is what success feels like ^^. Solid cycle done and dusted. Happy.

Advertisement