Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday January 12th: Squat

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 1x2
    **add belt and wrist wraps**
    105kg - 4x9 ... video'd last set
    ---

Squatting like that at 6am which is definitely a personal record.

Last set looks deceptively easy on camera. First two sets felt rough. Third and fourth better as I warmed up. Planning to start doing at least 50% of my training early morning going forwards, so I'd better get used to it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

BossArky wrote: »
    Monday January 12th: Squat

Squat
    105kg - 4x9 ... video'd last set
    ---

Squatting like that at 6am which is definitely a personal record.

Last set looks deceptively easy on camera. First two sets felt rough. Third and fourth better as I warmed up. Planning to start doing at least 50% of my training early morning going forwards, so I'd better get used to it.

Tuesday January 13th: 6am Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 6x6

T-Bar Row
    frame + 25kg
    frame + 35kg
    frame + 45kg
    ---
    Arnold Press
    20kg - 2x10

BB Curl
    30kg - 2x10
    ---

2nd day in a row training at 6am.

Bench was easy.

Had to cut assistance shorter than usual (i.e. 2x10 instead of 3x10 on Arnold Press and BB Curl. No time for slingshot either. Probably a good thing to be honest as I'm probably over doing the assistance.

Thursday January 15th: Squat

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x2
    112.5kg - 5x7 ... video'd last set
    ---

Got through the 5 sets in record time of 32 minutes which was alright. Video'd last set.

Started Squatting at 7:30pm & had to finish for 8pm committee meeting.

Saturday January 17th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 7x5 ... fine
    **add slingshot**
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x3
    117.5kg - 1x2 ... got a bit loose so only went for 2 instead of planned 3

T-Bar Row
    frame+25kg - 1x10
    frame+35kg - 1x10
    frame+45kg - 1x10

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Inverted Row
    3x10
    ---

Got to gym slightly after 12:30pm, which is too late to get through everything before the 2pm close. Thus missed out on Arnold Press and Curls.

Only went for 2 instead of the planned 3 slingshot top set reps on 117.5kg as spotter pulled bar too high when lifting off & I lost tightness in my setup. Just let me him take it off my chest without attempting to press. Don't wanna risk injury on these show-boat sets.

• Advertisement

Monday January 19th: Squat @6am

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x2
    105kg - 1x2
    120kg - 7x5 ... video'd last set
    ---

More Monday morning 6am Squats. They feel heavy that early. Got through them ok but 'twas a struggle. Felt cold/tight/asleep.

Took approx. 57 mins to get through the 7 worksets.

Tuesday January 20th: Bench @6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 8x4 ... alright but 6am doing me no favours

T-Bar Row
    frame+25kg - 1x10
    frame+35kg - 1x10
    frame+45kg - 1x10

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3x6

Face Pull
    plate 2 - 2x10
    ---

Got through it. I'm thinking these weights will feel like nothing when I'm properly awake and not lifting at 6am on empty stomach.

No creatine/beta-alanine since above 3 months ago. I reckon that once I start adding those back in again (and stop training at 6am!) then the sky is the limit!

Thursday January 22th: Squat

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x2
    110kg - 1x2
    125kg - 10x3 ... video'd last set
    ---

After first set I racked the weight and checked the plates. Felt like 145kg on the bar, not 125kg. Got through them tho. Felt pretty flat (& fat which is weird, belt was bet onto me... a few days ago it was hanging off me... probably ate/drank too much before training)

Saturday January 24th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    87.5kg - 1x1
    95kg - 10x3 ... easy to be honest
    **add slingshot**
    105kg - 1x3 ... fine
    115kg - 1x3... fine
    120kg - 1x1 ... fine

T-Bar Row
    frame+25kg - 10x8

BB Curl
    20kg - 1x30 ... as I couldn't be arsed doing 3x10

DB Arnold Press (seated)
    20kg per arm - 1x10 ... couldn't be bothered doing more sets
    ---

Bench was easy so feeling reassured with my strength given this is the half way point in this cycle and a peak. Will rinse and repeat the same sets/reps again for 6 more weeks, but add 5kg... to end up at 100kg 10x3 in 6 weeks... which will see me back to training strength levels of way I left Perth a couple of months ago.

Took 69 mins to do the 10 sets at 95kg bench. Did the first 9 in 60 mins then took a bit longer before the last watching some dude Squat high in wraps.

Wasn't sure if I'd go for a single or triple at 120kg in the slingshot. Settled for a single as I kinda lost tightness mid-pause and felt the weight try to cut me in half. Just like getting a bit of overload and no point pushing it too hard.

I went back through the past 3 Squat related posts above ^^ and added the videos that I didn't have time to previously embed.

You may (or may not) be wondering why I always video just Squats and not much Bench/Deads. Well, Squat is what I'm keen on bringing up, so I'm focusing on getting the last set of each training session on video. Bench has been feeling pretty good and I think my form is pretty decent. Will try to get more videos of last sets going forwards though.

Monday January 26th: Squat / Australia Day

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x2
    100kg - 4x9
    ---

Pretty quick and easy. Trained mid morning due to Australia day. Coach feedback was that I was pumping the sets instead of taking each rep with a similar setup to a 1RM. Slowed down a bit. Overall pretty decent.

This is the first day of the next 6 week cycle.

Just signed up for competition on May 15th, which happens to be on the same day as the F1 so it'll be a busy day.

Comp is in the morning, F1 is in the evening. Hoping to hit 160kg Squat and 107.5kg Bench for 2.5kg PRs within the 83kg class. I've done 107.5kg Bench before at 84 when I screwed up my weight in (and clocked 84 point something). Depending on how much time there is before the F1 I'll see if/what I Deadlift. Something around 180kg+. I.e. incremental total PR as per usual.

Looking forward to it now. The next 6 weeks of training has meaning!

• Advertisement

Tuesday January 27th: Bench @6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 6x6

T-Bar Row
    frame+25kg - 1x10
    frame+30kg - 1x10
    frame+35kg - 1x10

Lat Pulldown
    plate 10 - 3x10
    ---
    BB Curl
    22.5kg - 1x15 ... right bicep seemed to be taking the brunt of it... maybe still fatigued from preceding one arm db rows which finished on right side immediately before these curls

DB Bench
    20kg per arm - 3x10 ... keeping a good tuck to avoid slightly sore right shoulder acting up

One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Bench worksets were easy. Done is 26 mins.

Bringing back in DB Bench and One Arm Rows for variety (vs. DB Shoulder Press and various other rowing).

Thursday January 29th: Squat

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x2
    110kg - 5x7 ... felt horrendous
    ---
    Sumo Deadlift (beltless)
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    140kg - 4x3 ... Video'd sets 1, 2 & 4. Got some coaching feedback which made sets 3 & 4 feel like the first proper sumo sets I've ever done
    70kg - 2x a few
    ---
    Front Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 3x5
    ---

Got a fit of cold/flu/virus/whatever. Thought it was on the mend until I got into the gym. 110kg felt horrendous. Did the first couple of sets with usual narrow grip, then widened it out as I thought quads were gonna fail on later sets. This was a good move as I managed to get back to more low bar and it reminded me I should probably start getting back there as I aim towards comp in 6 weeks.

First deadlifts in 3.5 weeks. 140kg 4x3 beltless was easy. Was getting some coaching feedback to stop my arse popping up. Now trying to start with backside higher & building more tension to Squat it up. Felt right. Need to perfect this at lighter weights. The 4th set of the video looks slow as I was trying to overthink each rep & got into paralysis by analysis.

Finished off with Front Squats which were alright. Need to keep elbows up.

Thursday January 29th:

Sumo Deadlift (beltless)
    140kg - 4x3 ... Video'd sets 1, 2 & 4. Got some coaching feedback which made sets 3 & 4 feel like the first proper sumo sets I've ever done
    ---

First deadlifts in 3.5 weeks. 140kg 4x3 beltless was easy. Was getting some coaching feedback to stop my arse popping up. Now trying to start with backside higher & building more tension to Squat it up. Felt right. Need to perfect this at lighter weights. The 4th set of the video looks slow as I was trying to overthink each rep & got into paralysis by analysis.

Saturday January 31st: Bench @1pm

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 7x5
    **add slingshot**
    100kg - 3 sets for AMRAP: 7, 8, 7 ... fun

T-Bar Row
    frame+25kg - 1x10
    frame+30kg - 1x10
    frame+35kg - 1x10

Lat Pulldown (V handle close grip)
    plate 12 - 3x10

Band Row (horizontal row, standing, wide grip similar to lat pulldown)
    3x10 ... felt good
    ---
    BB Curl
    25kg - 3x10

DB Bench
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Bench worksets were incredibly easy as expected since it's the 2nd of 12 sessions building up again over the next 6 weeks.

Decided to try something different on the slingshot sets. Usually I got for three sets of ascending paused triples (e.g. 100x3, 110x3, 115x3). Today I thought I'd just go for three sets to failure with as many reps as possible on 100kg for 3 sets. Got 7, 8 & 7. It feels weird when you fail with high-ish reps in the slingshot as the bar comes off your chest fast enough but triceps die and thus you need safetys/diligent spotter to avoid a mess. Good fun!

Think today was the most pumptastic day of my training career to-date. Not sure if it was the combination of multiple high rep chest exercises superset with high rep back stuff... or the kicking in of the creatine, beta-alanine, recovery from flu, chocolate milk, whatever... but I came home with such a pump so massive I barely fit in the door. Pecs were sticking out like a shelf and lats were like wings. Guns were massive too, but you already knew that right?

Was dying with some tasty horrendous DOMS from the Squats/Deadlifts/Front Squats done the couple of days beforehand.

A good day.

Monday February 2nd: Squat @6am

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x2
    117.5kg - 7x5 .. felt great! Video'd sets 2 & 7
    ---

Squats were awesome this morning. Went back to more of a low bar approach and it felt like nothing. Quads are now getting a hand from hams/glutes/adductors. The more muscles utilised the merrier my Squat!

The last rep of the last set (set 7) felt like the most perfect Squat rep I've ever done. Just felt perfectly balanced, solid, tight, etc.

Squats are still too slow though. Need to drop into the hole and get a bit of rebound going on.

Monday February 2nd: Squat @6am

Squat
    117.5kg - 7x5 .. felt great! Video'd sets 2 & 7
    ---

Squats were awesome this morning. Went back to more of a low bar approach and it felt like nothing. Quads are now getting a hand from hams/glutes/adductors. The more muscles utilised the merrier my Squat!

The last rep of the last set (set 7) felt like the most perfect Squat rep I've ever done. Just felt perfectly balanced, solid, tight, etc.

Squats are still too slow though. Need to drop into the hole and get a bit of rebound going on.

Tuesday February 3rd: Bench @6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 8x4

T-Bar Row
    frame+25kg - 1x10
    frame+30kg - 1x10
    frame+35kg - 1x10

plate 12 - 3x8

3x10
    ---
    BB Curl
    20kg - 1x15

DB Bench
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Pretty easy. A stepping stone to the heavier weeks on the horizon.

Thursday February 5th: Squat

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    122.5kg - 10x3 ... good. Video'd set 10. Pretty happy with how easy they felt
    ---
    Sumo Deadlift (beltless)
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    140kg - 3x3 ... Video'd set 3. Kept backside high during setup and these felt easy
    ---

Good.

Squat
    122.5kg - 10x3 ... good. Video'd set 10. Pretty happy with how easy they felt

Sumo Deadlift (beltless)
    140kg - 3x3 ... Video'd set 3. Kept backside high during setup and these felt easy

Saturday February 7th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 10x3 ... easy. Video'd set 10
    **add slingshot**
    102.5kg - AMRAP for 3 sets: 7/7/7 ... video'd all 3 sets. Should have had 8+ on the first set but accidently clipped the upright on way down on 8th rep and it threw me off

T-Bar Row
    frame+25kg - 1x10
    frame+30kg - 1x10
    frame+35kg - 1x10

plate 12 - 3x12

3x10
    ---

**gym closed so walked home and finished off at home with the below**

---
    DB Bench
    20kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    20kg per arm - 3x10

BB Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Handy enough session.

Bench worksets on 90kg were easy. Looking at the video the last set looks even easier than it felt.

Still messing about with high rep slingshot sets for variety.

After the above there are now only 4 weeks of hard work training left (16 session) before competition on March 15th (if you exclude the couple of deload sessions). Time is flying.

• Advertisement

Bench (all paused)
    90kg - 10x3 ... easy. Video'd set 10

Bench worksets on 90kg were easy. Looking at the video the last set looks even easier than it felt.

**add slingshot**
    102.5kg - AMRAP for 3 sets: 7/7/7 ... video'd all 3 sets. Should have had 8+ on the first set but accidently clipped the upright on way down on 8th rep and it threw me off

Still messing about with high rep slingshot sets for variety.

Monday February 9th: Squat @6am

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x2
    110kg - 4x9 ... alrighty.
    ---

That got the hard pumping.

Tuesday February 10th: Bench @6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 6x6

T-Bar Row
    frame+25kg - 3x10

Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    3x6
    ---
    DB Bench
    25kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    25kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Fine. Got up at 5:40am which is too late if trying to get to gym for 6am. Was half asleep throughout the session.

Accidently did 5 reps on first set... hopped up... realized it should have been 6... so hopped back down and did the extra 1.

Zzzz...

Thursday February 12th: Squat

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    120kg - 5x7 ... tough enough
    ---
    Sumo Deadlift
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 3x3
    ---

Did the first 4 worksets spotterless. Was told at the end of the fourth set that it looked like I didn't have a single rep left in me and a couple of people were about to hop up as they thought I was getting buried on the last rep.

Got spotters for the last set and it was probably one of the best ones. Camera ran out of storage after rep 1, but trust me I did 7.

Should probably start increasing calories now so that the last few weeks of this cycle are easier than the above. Was 86.5kg in gym clothes and over hydrated, so should be an easy 82 or 83kg on comp day... probably even lighter if I water load as per usual. Therefore, I have a few kg of bodyweight to play and can afford to stuff my face in the next while.

Thursday February 12th: Squat

Squat
    120kg - 5x7 ... tough enough
    ---

Did the first 4 worksets spotterless. Was told at the end of the fourth set that it looked like I didn't have a single rep left in me and a couple of people were about to hop up as they thought I was getting buried on the last rep.

Got spotters for the last set and it was probably one of the best ones. Camera ran out of storage after rep 1, but trust me I did 7.

Saturday February 14th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 7x5 ... alright... but should have been easier. Need to eat more. Smashed after Squats Thursday night.
    **add slingshot**
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x3
    115kg - 1x1 ... easy
    ---
    T-Bar Row
    frame+25kg - 1x10
    frame+30kg - 1x10
    frame+35kg - 1x10

plate 13 - 3x10

3x10
    ---

**gym closed so walked home and finished off at home with the below**

---
    DB Bench
    20kg per arm - 3x10

Seated Machine Row (cable, close grip)
    80lbs - 3x10

BB Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Alrighty. Just getting through this day. A stepping stone to more weight next time.

As mentioned above and in last post I need to up the calories. Feeling a bit flat recently.

Tuesday February 17th: Squat @6am

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    **add belt & wrisp wraps**
    127.5kg - 7x5 ... really hard. Video'd last set.
    ---

Toughest Squat session this cycle. Jaysus.

Hard to Squat alone at 6am on a dark morning. Missed the mild kick you get when you have a bit of atmosphere (people watching or working in). First 4 sets felt horrendous. Called the gym guy who was dosing at desk around the corner to watch me for the last 3 sets... purely for the competitive edge you get when you know someone is watching you and you don't want to fail in front of them. It worked (having an audience) & the final 3 sets were better than the first 4. Still hard though.

Got through it & that is what counts. The 7 worksets took 55-60 mins. Now, time to eat.

Wednesday February 18th: Bench @6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 8x4 ... tough... felt flat. Knackered after yesterday mornings Squats
    ---
    T-Bar Row
    frame+20kg - 4x10

Lat Pulldown
    plate 11 - 4x10
    ---

Bench worksets were harder than they should have been. Feeling pretty smashed after yesterday mornings Squats. Shoulders and elbows achy which slowed me down. Took 57 minutes to get through the 8 sets. Got slightly sidetracked responding to emails on phone between sets 1 & 2. Really need to stay away from phone when in the gym and push hard to get through the first few sets with minimal rest, else these sort of sessions turn into an epic.

Drinking a 2litre of full fat milk as I type this.

Sh1t's getting real.

Friday February 20th: Squat @6am

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    112.5kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    132.5kg - 10x3 ... Hard but didn't die. Video'd last set.
    ---

Cannot complain too much. Worksets were tough, but I got through 10 near max effort RPE sets in 63 mins. I reckon I'll be ok to add 5kg and finish the cycle as planned in two weeks. It'll be hard, but looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Friday February 20th: Squat @6am

Squat
    132.5kg - 10x3 ... Hard but didn't die. Video'd last set.
    ---

Cannot complain too much. Worksets were tough, but I got through 10 near max effort RPE sets in 63 mins.

Somewhere in the middle of those 10 sets I found a nice sweetspot for the low bar. Really locked in tight and felt correct for the first time. This slightly threw off my balance though as my centre of gravity was shifted back more than normal. Hence I felt I had to almost lean forward more to prevent toppling backwards. You can see I seem to be a bit forward in this video of set 10.

Advertisement