Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tuesday March 31st: Bench in the evening...

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    87.5kg - 10x3 ... easy. Done in 18 mins, supersets with T-Bar row.

T-Bar Row (close parallel grip)
    frame+20kg - 10x8
    ---

Entire workout took 18 mins. Lol. Kept the time between bench sets to 2 mins max and fit the rows in between those two mins.

Left home at 7:40pm and was back on the sofa after shower at 8:40pm. Efficient, eh?

Did everything more or less back to back. Pretty happy that I could keep up that speed & work capacity. Just superset the lot: 10 sets on both exercises.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Wednesday April 1st:

Swimming ... 12-14 lengths of a 20m pool and general active recovery

Thursday April 2nd: Squat & Deadlift

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps & belt**
    102.5kg - 4x9 ... fine
    ---
    Deadlift ... alternating sumo & conventional each set
    60kg - 2x5
    90kg - 2x5
    110kg - 6x3 ... video'd all sets from 3-6. Even = conventional. Odd = sumo.
    ---

One of those nothing sessions that you have to get through to get to the next one. Everything felt ok.

Deadlifts still beltless and double overhand.

BossArky wrote: »
    Thursday April 2nd: Squat & Deadlift

110kg - 6x3 ... video'd all sets from 3-6. Even = conventional. Odd = sumo.
    ---

Deadlifts still beltless and double overhand.

Friday April 3rd:

Swimming ... a few lengths active recovery

• Advertisement

Saturday April 4th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    77.5kg - 6x6 ... lightweight. Done in ~19 mins, supersets with T-Bar row.

frame+20kg - 6x8 ... concentrating on deep elbows
    ---
    Incline Shoulder Press (DB, seated, 45 degree)
    25kg per arm - 3x8

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x3
    32.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    Inverted Row
    3x10
    ---

Another stepping stone session.

Saturday April 4th:

Swimming ... a few lengths active recovery

Monday April 6th:

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x2
    112.5kg - 5x7
    ---
    60kg - 2x5
    80kg - 2x3
    100kg - 2x3
    115kg - 6x3 ... video'd all sets but got them jumbled on camera when editing and accidently deleted one
    ---

Squats were more high bar than normal to give myself a break/variety.

Sumo looked much better than conventional.

Tuesday April 7th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 7x5 ... fine

frame+30kg - 7x8
    ---
    25kg per arm - 3x10

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Should have done another warm up before bench work weight. Too cold and abrupt. Pecs slightly strained after. 7 sets done in 22 minutes, including the row supersets below. Crazy speed.

Thursday April 9th:

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x2
    120kg - 7x5 ... took 59 mins for 7 sets. Slower than normal. Felt terrible too
    ---
    60kg - 2x5
    85kg - 2x3
    105kg - 2x3
    120kg - 9x3 ... video'd from sets 5 onwards
    ---

Squats felt terrible.

Deadlift form is shocking. Planned to do 6x3 alternating between sumo and converntional. Kept getting additional pointers in the latter sets so I added an extra 3 for the sake of practise trying to:
    1) keep chin tuckeed
    2) look up
    3) lengthen arms and keep shoulders down
    4) keep right shoulder down... very noticeable on video of last set that my right shoulder is way higher than left. Weird.

To top it all off I did them all beltless and double overhand which is probably some sort of PR on the conventional sets... but then dropped the last set on the third rep as grip gave out. What a wuss.

• Advertisement

Thursday April 9th:

120kg - 9x3 ... video'd from sets 5 onwards
    ---

Deadlift form is shocking. Planned to do 6x3 alternating between sumo and converntional. Kept getting additional pointers in the latter sets so I added an extra 3 for the sake of practise trying to:
    1) keep chin tucked
    2) look up
    3) lengthen arms and keep shoulders down
    4) keep right shoulder down... very noticeable on video of last set that my right shoulder is way higher than left. Weird.

To top it all off I did them all beltless and double overhand which is probably some sort of PR on the conventional sets... but then dropped the last set on the third rep as grip gave out. What a wuss.

Saturday April 11th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    87.5kg - 8x4 ... fine

frame+30kg - 8x8
    ---

The whole workout done in 31 mins. Was in the midst of spotting at nationals. Ducked off from morning session to do bench, then came back in the afternoon to witness some crazy lifts.

Notable lifts included:
    • 415kg Squat world record in SHW category
    • 200.5kg Bench world record in 83kg category
    • 280.5kg Squat world record in 83kg category
    • 316kg Deadlift world record in 83kg category

Looking back on the above I was thinking how crazy it is to be spotting someone doing a 415kg Squat. If that came down there was no way the spotters were gonna catch it. One guy earlier in the day in the 83kgs had accidently put talc on his upper back instead of chalk. He Squat 245kg fine, but just before racking it the bar slipped off his back, but luckily no-one got injured.

Monday April 13th: Squats & Deadliftss @6am

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    125kg - 10x3 ... took 59 mins for 7 sets. Slower than normal. Felt terrible too
    ---
    60kg - 2x5
    90kg - 2x3
    110kg - 2x3
    125kg - 6x3 ... alrighty
    ---

Squats didn't feel too good & took about 65 mins for the 10 sets. Didn't feel like I got warmed up at all. Feeling a bit tender in the lower back on the left side. May have strained something. Really need to do some extra warm ups and mobility on top of usual stuff now that the mornings are freezing cold.

Deadlifts still beltless and double-overhand. Just about managing to hang onto bar so grip is getting a workout.

Tuesday April 14th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    92.5kg - 10x3 ... easy & fast
    **add slingshot**
    100kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x3
    112.5kg - 1x2 ... had planned a triple but just went for double as wasn't feeling as on fire as normal

frame+30kg - 10x8
    ---

Bench felt pretty good.

Thursday April 16th: Squats & Deadlifts

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 4x9 ... video'd sets 2, 3 & 4. 4 sets took 43 mins.
    ---
    60kg - 2x5
    90kg - 2x3
    110kg - 2x3
    130kg - 6x2 ... alrighty. Took some videos. Still all beltless & double overhand.
    ---

Pretty happy after that ^^. Back was tweaked on Squats Monday morning and I was worried during the week that I had reinjured it. Had recovered enough to Squat/Dead as per the above, and feeling fine now afterwards.

Squat depth was pretty good as you'll see on the video. Note to self: do more band around knees warm up Squats to get glutes going & mobility up. Worked well on the above session.

Deadlifts are still a work in progress. Weight feels fine. Still beltless and double overhand. Lost grip a couple of times, but not bothered. 130kg is both beltless and doubleoverhand PR on conventional I'm guessing.

Today is was the first training session of 4 in week 5 of 12.

Squat
    107.5kg - 4x9 ... video'd sets 2, 3 & 4. 4 sets took 43 mins.

Video'd second set from behind for a change. Butt cam.

130kg - 6x2 ... alrighty. Took some videos. Still all beltless & double overhand.

Saturday April 18th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 6x6 ... fine

frame+30kg - 6x8
    ---
    25kg per arm - 3x10

Barbell Curl
    30kg - 3x10
    ---

That was a quick one. 26 mins for the worksets and supersetted rows.

Monday April 20th: Squats & Deadliftss @6am

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    100kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    117.5kg - 5x7 ... alrighty after first set
    ---
    60kg - 2x5
    90kg - 2x3
    120kg - 2x3
    135kg - 6x2 ... alrighty once my grip woke up. Dropped 2nd rep of first set, but then was ok. Video'd all of these
    ---

Squats were fine once I woke up (after the second set). Worksets took 39 mins.

Still undecided on sumo vs. conventional deads.

Monday April 20th: Squats & Deadliftss @6am

135kg - 6x2 ... alrighty once my grip woke up. Dropped 2nd rep of first set, but then was ok. Video'd all of these
    ---

Still undecided on sumo vs. conventional deads.

Tuesday April 21st: Bench @6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    87.5kg - 7x5 ... fine. Done in 43 mins with Row supersets

frame+20kg - 4x10

Lat Pulldown
    plate 10 - 3x10
    ---
    Arnold Press (DB, seated, slight incline)
    25kg per arm - 3x10

Barbell Reverse Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Getting stuff done early morning so I'll have the evening off. Success.

Bench worksets pretty easy. Wussed out on doing slingshot bench after, as it was cold and I was alone. Couldn't be arsed unracking 115kg alone. Risk/reward, etc. Better off saving the slingshot accessory for Saturdays when there is someone else in the gym to assist with lift off on the heavy set(s).

Put in reverse curls instead of standard barbell curls. Bit of a chance and take some stress off the wrists which are getting hammered in the opposite direction with so much Squatting.

Nothing much else to report - just another behind the scenes session where nothing exciting happens except for putting in the work to make exciting things happen in the future.

• Advertisement

Thursday April 23rd: Squats & Deadlifts

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    110kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    125kg - 7x5 ... felt terrible. Video'd set 7. Took 62 mins in total.
    ---
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    140kg - 6x2 ... felt terrible. Video'd sets 2, 4 & 6. Actually did 3 reps on first set accidently
    ---

Motivation was at an all time low, along with energy levels. Struggled through.

Thursday April 23rd: Squats & Deadlifts

Squat
    125kg - 7x5 ... felt terrible. Video'd set 7. Took 62 mins in total.

140kg - 6x2 ... felt terrible. Video'd sets 2, 4 & 6. Actually did 3 reps on first set accidently

Friday April 24th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    92.5kg - 8x4 ... fine. Done in 68 mins with Row supersets. Slow

frame+30kg - 8x10
    ---
    Barbell Reverse Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Had to do this on Friday night instead of the usual Saturday lunchtime. Was thus a bit of a struggle as was pretty fatigued from Squats/Deads the night before.

Monday April 27th: Squats & Deadlifts @6am

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    110kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    130kg - 10x3 ... Tough enough but survived. Video'd set 10. Took 89 mins in total.
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    145kg - 3x2 ... slow, but expected as much given the Squats beforehand
    ---

Happy to get through that. Motivation still low. That is the half way point for this Squat/Dead cycle.

Almost called it quits multiple times during the Squatting. Was gonna go until just 5, then 7/8... but kept going and got all 10 sets. Managed a really good glute warm up with band around knees... so managed to get some great glute activation on the later sets which felt like an added gear.

Almost didn't do Deadlifts too. In the end I squeezed them in, and glad I did. Need to keep focus on bringing up Deadlift.

That was probably the longest ever early morning session I've done. Ended up being something like 2.5 hours from 6am to 8:30am.

Squat
    130kg - 10x3 ... Tough enough but survived. Video'd set 10. Took 89 mins in total.
    ---

Happy to get through that. Motivation still low. That is the half way point for this Squat/Dead cycle.

Almost called it quits multiple times during the Squatting. Was gonna go until just 5, then 7/8... but kept going and got all 10 sets. Managed a really good glute warm up with band around knees... so managed to get some great glute activation on the later sets which felt like an added gear.

Tuesday April 29th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x1
    97.5kg - 10x3 ... alrighty. Video'd set 10. Done in 74 mins with Row supersets.

frame+30kg - 10x10
    ---

Not sure what is worse: training at 6am in the morning in the freezing cold or training at 8pm in the freezing cold. Both dark and depressing. Bench looked ok on video of set 10. A bit fatigued from heavy Squats/Deads the day before, cut cannot complain.

There ends the first half of this training cycle. Will reset and add 10kg to Squats and 5kg to Bench to peak at 140kg 10x3 and 102.5kg 10x3 respectively. Deadlifts will continue to be trained twice a week with focus on heavy triples/doubles and eventually singles.

Forgot to mention that I saved a kiddy from drowning in a swimming pool a few days ago. Some stupid parent had left the kid play in the water with an inflatable toy. Kid lost their balance and fell in. Parent couldn't swim to save them and was afraid to get into pool. I swam over (10 or 15m) and plucked kid out. Thing I was more shocked that the other parent. Poor kiddy was coughing up water for a while.

Tuesday April 29th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    97.5kg - 10x3 ... alrighty. Video'd set 10. Done in 74 mins with Row supersets.

Monday May 4th: Squats & Deadlifts @6am

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    92.5kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    102.5kg - 4x9 ... good & got a bit of stretch reflex going at the bottom which is abnormal for me
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    150kg - 3x2 ... i.e. 3 doubles. Fine. Video'd all
    170kg - 3x1 ... i.e 3 singles. Video'd all. Good to feel some heavy weight
    ---

Today saw the 2nd half of this training cycle begin. 6 more weeks of training 4 days per week, then a one week deload ahead of hitting some new PRs in comp.

Plan today was to get through the Squats quickly and then onto the Deadlifts. I kept on where I left off at the end of the first 6 weeks: adding 5kg to the 3 doubles to hit handy enough 150kgs. Then threw down 4 mats per side to have some block pulls off a ~2 inch ledge. Need to get myself used to holding heavy weight and pulling through it. Hence the block pulls.

Monday May 4th: Squats & Deadlifts @6am

Deadlift ... all sumo
    150kg - 3x2 ... i.e. 3 doubles. Fine. Video'd all
    170kg - 3x1 ... i.e 3 singles. Video'd all. Good to feel some heavy weight
    ---

Plan today was to get through the Squats quickly and then onto the Deadlifts. I kept on where I left off at the end of the first 6 weeks: adding 5kg to the 3 doubles to hit handy enough 150kgs. Then threw down 4 mats per side to have some block pulls off a ~2 inch ledge. Need to get myself used to holding heavy weight and pulling through it. Hence the block pulls.

• Advertisement

Tuesday May 5th: Bench@6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    77.5kg - 6x6 ... easy. All sets done in 32 mins combined with superset rows below
    **add slingshot**
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x1 ... fine

frame+20kg - 6x10
    ---
    BB Curls
    20kg - 1x5
    ---

Nice to get in and out quickly. Was home by 7:30am.

Threw on the slingshot to get some heavier weight in hands 'cos worksets felt like nothing, as expected.

Advertisement