Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday May 7th: Squats & Deadlifts

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    102.5kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    112.5kg - 5x7 ...fine. Video'd last set.
    ---
    Front Squat
    60kg - 3x5 ... video'd last set
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 3x3
    ---

Fine. Added Front Squats for variety.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

BossArky wrote: »
    Thursday May 7th: Squats & Deadlifts

Squat
    112.5kg - 5x7 ...fine. Video'd last set.
    ---
    Front Squat
    60kg - 3x5 ... video'd last set
    ---

Fine. Added Front Squats for variety.

Friday May 8th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 7x5
    **add slingshot**
    100kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 1x3
    112.5kg - 1x1 ... fine. Video'd. Lifted off myself. Easy.

T-Bar Row (close parallel grip)
    frame+30kg - 7x10
    ---
    Arnold Press (DB, seated, slight incline)
    25kg per arm - 3x10

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - x8, x6, x4 ... which was RPE 10
    20kg - to failure... reps somewhere between 15-20 I'm guessing
    ---

Got through the 7 bench worksets plus 7 superset rows in 26 mins. Pretty handy.

Happy to get 112.5kg in my hands on the slingshot bench as that is what I'll be aiming for on 3rd attempt bench in June comp. Lifting it off alone was easy.

Enjoyed the bodybuilding assistance afterwards. Feeling some nice bicep DOMS as I write this two days later. Also got some nice abs and upper back DOMS from the Front Squats on Thurs night. New exericses = new DOMS = keeping things fresh.

Friday May 8th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    112.5kg - 1x1 ... fine. Video'd. Lifted off myself. Easy.
    ---

Happy to get 112.5kg in my hands on the slingshot bench as that is what I'll be aiming for on 3rd attempt bench in June comp. Lifting it off alone was easy.

Monday May 11th: Squats & Deadlifts@6am

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    105kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    120kg - 7x5 ... forgot belt. Had to use a random one. Too big. No support
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    155kg - 3x3
    ---

Back sore as I write this two days after the above. Silly forgetting my own belt at home. Had to use a couple of ill fitting ones - too loose on squat and another too tight on deads. The lack of support caused my lower back to take a hammering on Squats as I caved in at the bottom and quite sore the past couple of days. Will see how I feel tomorrow ahead of next lower body day. May have to switch around and do Bench instead to give back more time to heal up.

• Advertisement

Tuesday May 12th: Bench@6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    87.5kg - 8x4 ... fine, done in 45 mins with rows below.

frame+35kg - 1x6 ... too heavy to start with cold hence the lowering of weight in next sets
    frame+30kg - 1x6
    frame+25kg - 1x6
    frame+20kg - 1x6
    frame+10kg - 4x10
    ---

Trained alone as usual on Tuesday morning. Didn't even bother turning on the radio. Got lost with myself in my early morning sleepy head. Back sore from yesterday, so everything felt a bit heavier than it should have, as taking things gingerly.

Thursday May 14th: Squats & Deadlifts

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    110kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    125kg - 10x3 ... tough as tired. Video'd last set.
    ---
    Front Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    65kg - 3x5
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    120kg - 3x3
    ---

Sweet Jesus... Squats hard as was wrecked from beltless stuff Monday morning. Video'd last set.

Friday May 15th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    92.5kg - 10x3 ... fine, done in exactly 60 mins with the rows below.

frame+30kg - 10x10
    ---

Had to bring bench one day earlier as busy over weekend. Pretty fatigued but got through it alrighty. Threw in 100 rows as the usual supersets.

That was a draining week. Will structure the timing of workouts a bit better next week & bring own belt for Squats.

Monday May 18th: Squats & Deadlifts@6am

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    100kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    112.5kg - 4x9 ... alright. Lungs screaming and upper back/lats taking a hammering from the high reps
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    140kg - 1x3
    160kg - 3x2
    ---

Happy enough. Squats were ok and got my paws on some heavy Deadlifts off the floor.

Tuesday May 19th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    82.5kg - 6x6
    **add slingshot**
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x3
    115kg - 1x1 ... fine. Lifted off myself which felt slightly awkward but no big deal

frame+30kg - 6x10

Lat Pulldown
    setting 10 - 3x10
    ---
    27.5kg per arm - 3x10

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Used my 24/7 key to access gym alone this morning. Hardest part of the session was getting out of bed at 5:45am. Was good to train totally alone, without even the reception guy in the gym. No music, no fluff, just me, the weights and my thoughts. Looking forward to when I get my home gym setup at the end of the year and can train in this style myself.

Anyway - bench worksets were easy. Threw on the slingshot after to get some overload going on. 115kg for a single was fine.

Did some bodybuilding afterwards as I've been slacking on the bench assistance in the past 1.5 weeks due to rushing workouts.

• Advertisement

Thursday May 21st: Squats & Deadlifts

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    110kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    122.5kg - 5x7 ... pretty handy considering last week I struggled to do 125kg 10x3. Weird.
    ---
    Front Squat
    70kg - 3x5
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 4x4
    ---

Squast were alright I suppose. Just cranking through the reps/sets/weeks to get back up there.

Deadlifts - I forgot I was supposed to be doing triples on the first set, so rounded them all up to 4 reps. Added a 4th set to try out some guys lifting straps. First time ever using them. Liked the sensation of not having to grip the bar, just pull.

Threw in 3 sets of front Squats too for variety as I've been doing the past few weeks.

Saturday May 23rd: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x2
    87.5kg - 7x5 ... easy
    **add slingshot**
    102.5kg - 1x3
    112.5kg - 1x3
    117.5kg - 1x1 ... handy enough. Lifted off myself. Video'd it

frame+15kg - 7x10

Lat Pulldown (V-handle)
    setting 10 - 3x10
    ---
    27.5kg per arm - 3x10

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Bench worksets were simple.

Slingshot afterwards was easy too. Felt good so went for 117.5kg single with a self lift off. Easy peasy.

Some muppet was outside the gym door reving engine which was great for carbon monoxide poisoning on the warm up sets. Opened side door and saved myself.

Superset the bench and rows with reading 2 pages of Game of Thrones in between sets. Still managed to keep the time between each superset to 5 or 6 mins. Did the whole lot in about 70 mins.

Pretty happy with how bench is feeling.

Monday May 25th: Squats & Deadlifts@6am

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    110kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    130kg - 7x5 ... fine. Video'd last set.
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    145kg - 1x3
    165kg - x2, x0
    ---

Squats were good.

Deadlifts were fine on the first set. A double on 165kg is up there with the heaviest doubles I've ever pulled in the gym. I may have done 167.5kg 2x2 once on the way to my 180kg years ago. First set was fine.

Deadlifts second set - not sure what happened. I was rushing to get out of the gym. It was 8:15am by this stage and I had a work meeting at 9am. Was rushed, set up with feet too wide and didn't really get hold of it properly. Let it go after a half hearted pull. First rep I've failed in the gym in a long time on any lift.

Didn't bother retaking second set or even attempting third. Pretty wrecked from Squats and no point pushing too hard. Happy enough with the first set.

Monday May 25th: Squats & Deadlifts@6am

Squat
    130kg - 7x5 ... fine. Video'd last set.
    ---

Squats were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,606 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's telling me the video doesn't exist.

Or was it filmed in the matrix? ;)

Fixed now. Weird - it was a totally different youtube code than the one from yesterday when I checked it just now.

Tuesday May 26th: Bench@6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x2
    92.5kg - 8x4 ... fine. Done in ~60 mins with supersets and reading

frame+15kg - 7x10
    ---

Joints a bit achy from Squats yesterday, so Bench work sets slightly more painful and slower than they should have been. Tuesday is always a day where I'm lifting more fatigued than other days, as it's always back to back with Squats.

Getting a bit bored of doing a million superset rows. Will mix it up after this comp.

Again was reading my book in between the supersets. 2 pages is the optimal number of pages to read to allow the heart rate to come down and the mind to come off the exertion.

Thursday May 28th: Squats

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    105kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    120kg - 1x1
    135kg - 11x3
    ---

Was supposed to Squat 10x3, not 11x3. Discrepancy due to failing the second rep of set 4 as I went too close grip/high bar and had nothing out of the hole. Almost called it quits after that set. Composed myself, went back to usual wider grip, pushed onwards and smashed out 7 further sets. Perseverance++

Happy to complete the mandated sets/reps.

Didn't have the time for Deadlifts. Wouldn't have been able to anyway as was pretty wrecked from Squats.

Saturday May 30th: Bench@6am

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 1x1
    97.5kg - 10x3 ... alright. Video'd last set. Felt worse than they looked.

frame+15kg - 10x10
    ---

Pretty battered from Squats, so Bench a bit harder than it should have been. Alright nonetheless.

Saturday May 30th: Bench@6am

Bench (all paused)
    97.5kg - 10x3 ... alright. Video'd last set. Felt worse than they looked.
    ---

Pretty battered from Squats, so Bench a bit harder than it should have been. Alright nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Monday June 1st: Squats & Deadlifts@6am

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps & belt**
    117.5kg - 4x9 ... 2.5kg PR over last cycle. Fine. Video'd last set
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    150kg - 1x1 ... switched from double overhand to mixed grip
    170kg - x0 :cool:
    120kg - 2x5 ... double overhand
    ---

Squats were pretty good. The pain level wasn't up there as you'd expect on a high rep PR set.

Was planning a double on 170kg deadlift. It budged slightly off the ground but I gave up. Perhaps gripping it with finger tips wasn't the optimal approach.

Need to practice each deadlift with the same grip. At the moment I'm all over the place with double overhand, mixed grip with finger tips and mixed grip with bar totally in palm. All this changing means I don't know what is best.

Monday June 1st: Squats & Deadlifts@6am

Squat
    117.5kg - 4x9 ... 2.5kg PR over last cycle. Fine. Video'd last set
    ---

Squats were pretty good. The pain level wasn't up there as you'd expect on a high rep PR set.

Tuesday June 2nd: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x2
    87.5kg - 6x6 ... 2.5kg PR over last cycle. Easy. Video'd last set. Worksets done in 26 mins. Incredible - right?

frame+15kg - 6x10
    ---
    27.5kg per arm - 3x10

Inverted Row
    3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Bench worksets were handy enough. Breezed through them for a 6x6 PR 2.5kg above last cycle. Cool!

Trained in the evening. Couldn't do the usual 6am today as had an early work meeting. Was working in with 2 other guys. 3 is the optimal number I find for benching quickly. Just enough time to get in and out. Worksets done in 26 mins. Incredible - right?

Tuesday June 2nd: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    87.5kg - 6x6 ... 2.5kg PR over last cycle. Easy. Video'd last set. Worksets done in 26 mins. Incredible - right?
    ---

Bench worksets were handy enough. Breezed through them for a 6x6 PR 2.5kg above last cycle. Cool!

Thursday June 4th: Squats & Deadlifts

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps**
    110kg - 1x2
    **add belt**
    127.5kg - 5x7 ... 2.5kg PR on last cycle. Easy. Video'd last set.
    ---
    Front Squat
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Deadlift ... all sumo
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x3
    150kg - 1x3 ... mixed grip
    120kg - 2x5 ... drop sets. Double overhand
    ---

Pretty happy with the Squat PR. Felt handy enough.

Deadlifts felt pretty easy also. Turned the intensity down a notch and just wanted to feel some moderate heavy weight instead of going close to 1RM.

Was a good atmosphere in the gym tonight. Our sister gym is closed for the moment due to an Oly comp ongoing during this week. All of those guys were thus training with us in the "late" session, which was good for me as the gym wasn't empty whilst I was Squatting and the music was blaring.

Thursday June 4th: Squats & Deadlifts

Squat
    127.5kg - 5x7 ... 2.5kg PR on last cycle. Easy. Video'd last set.
    ---

Pretty happy with the Squat PR. Felt handy enough.

Saturday June 6th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x2
    92.5kg - 7x5 ... 2.5kg PR on last cycle. Easy. Video's last set.
    **add slingshot**
    105kg - 1x3
    115kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x1 ... self lift off & alrighty. Video'd it

frame+15kg - 7x10
    ---

Pretty happy with that benching.

Saturday June 6th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    92.5kg - 7x5 ... 2.5kg PR on last cycle. Easy. Video's last set.

**add slingshot**
    120kg - 1x1 ... self lift off & alrighty. Video'd it

Pretty happy with that benching.

Monday June 8th: Squats

Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    **add wrist wraps & belt**
    120kg - 1x1
    135kg - 7x5 ... 2.5kg PR over last cycle. Good. Video'd last set
    ---

Got through the 7 worksets in 66 mins. Felt easier than last cycle even though 2.5kg heavier. Nice.

• Advertisement

Monday June 8th: Squats

Squat
    135kg - 7x5 ... 2.5kg PR over last cycle. Good. Video'd last set
    ---

Got through the 7 worksets in 66 mins. Felt easier than last cycle even though 2.5kg heavier. Nice.

Advertisement