Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tuesday December 15th: Squat

Squat (high bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    **add belt & wrist wraps**
    100kg - 2x8 ... top set
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    36kg - 3x10

Split Squat
    15kg plate per arm - 3x6
    ---

Felt fine and got through the above in under an hour.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Friday December 18th: Bench

Bench (all paused, feet on ground)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x1
    100kg - 1x1 ... fine
    80kg - 3x6 ... fine
    60kg - 1x10 ... wide grip / feet up

DB Row
    10kg DB per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curls
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    Run (Treadmill)
    incline 2, intervals 6kmph to 11.1 kmph. From 5 mins onwards = 2x[run 3:00 / walk 1:30 then run 5:00 / walk 2:30]
    ---

On the spur of the moment decided to go "heavy" and benched a handy enough 100kg paused. Probably the lightest bodyweight I've done that at, given the running I've introduced in recent weeks.

Finished off with the last day of week 4 of the "couch to 5km" program. Need to check what the plan is for week 5.

The week in general was a bit lack lustre in terms of training and diet due to various work / xmas parties and the associated hoo-haa.

Enjoying training at the moment, but will be happy once lower back injury clears up. Aggravated it again when benching with feet on ground. Wasn't ready for that - should have stuck with feet up for a few more weeks.

Monday December 21st: Squat @5pm (yes - evening, not morning)

Squat (high bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    115kg - 2x6 ... top set. Video'd first set which was alright, if a bit lacking explosiveness
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    37kg - 3x10 ... handy enough

Split Squat
    20kg plate per arm - 3x6 ... heavy
    ---

Legs are in bits as I write this the morning after the above ^^. The Split Squats were hard. Legs feel trashed now.

Happy with the Squats. Went back to low-bar for the first time since competition about 2 months ago. 115kg 2x6 felt good. Think I'll stick with low-bar now for a while again. Video'd the first top set which meant cutting out the music which I had been streaming from iphone as both camera and music app don't work together... so 5% heavier without blaring tunes.

The drop set of 70kg 1x12 was accidentally high-bar as I experimented with hand position/grip/thumb positioning.

Military Press at 37kg 3x10 was fine too.

Overall - good.

BossArky wrote: »
    Monday December 21st: Squat @5pm

Squat (high bar)
    115kg - 2x6 ... top set. Video'd first set which was alright, if a bit lacking
    ---

Thursday December 24th: Bench

Bench (all paused, feet up)
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x6
    70kg - 3x7
    40kg - 1x10 ... wide grip / feet up

One Arm Row
    5kg plate per arm - 1x10
    10kg plate per arm - 1x10
    15kg plate per arm - 1x10
    20kg plate per arm - 1x10
    25kg plate per arm - 1x5
    ---
    Inverted Row
    3x10

Press Ups on top of Bar used for Inverted Row
    3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curls
    20kg - 1x16
    ---
    Run (Treadmill)
    incline 2, intervals 6kmph to 11.2 kmph. From 5 mins onwards = 3x[run 5:00 / walk 3:00]
    ---

Kept feet up on Bench. Back feeling better but gonna avoid anything that aggravates it for a while (i.e excessive arching)

Plate rows are possible! Thought the size of the plate would interfere with ROM but didn't.

Run was good.

• Advertisement

Saturday December 26th: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    125kg - 2x5 ... top set. Alrighty with music blaring
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    38kg - 3x10 ... handy enough

Split Squat
    10kg plate per arm - 3x5 ... handy
    ---

125kg 2x5 was alrighty on the Squat, followed up with a handy drop set of 12 reps on 70kg. Need to take my belt in a notch as I've lost some flab around the waist from the running. Belt feels a bit loose and could be giving more support.

Added 1kg to the Military Press as per every session for the last 13, so working weight for 3x10 was 38kg. Felt fine.

Sunday December 27th:

DB Bench
    20kg per arm - 5x10

Lat Pulldown
    increasing each set - 5x10
    ---
    Run (Treadmill)
    incline 2, intervals 6kmph to 11.3 kmph. From 5 mins onwards = 2x[run 8:00 / walk 5:00]
    ---

Locked myself out of home gym on Bench day by resetting padlock accidentally earlier in the day. Did the DB Bench and Lat Pulldown with lighter weights in complex gym. Finished with run which was ok.

Wednesday December 30th: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 1x2
    105kg - 2x8 ... top set. Perfect low bar position found. Good groove
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    39kg - 3x10 ... alrighty

Split Squat
    15kg plate per arm - 3x8 ... assistance
    ---

Happy with the low bar position I found. First really good feeling Squats for a good while. Feel like I've now gotten used to home gym setup and can start going heavier.

It was up around 36-37 degrees outside. Home gym setup has an open side with grills onto the outside world which gives lots of airflow so quite pleasant to train in there even on roasting hot days.

Thursday December 31st: Bench & Run

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 3x3 ... fine
    80kg - 1x6 ... drop set #1
    70kg - 1x8 ... drop set #2
    60kg - 1x10 ... drop set #3
    ---
    Barbell Curls
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x8
    20kg - 1x12
    ---
    Run (Treadmill)
    incline 2, 20 mins non stop run
    ---

Set up and started benching forgetting that I should have made my feet up. It felt fine with feet down as per normal, so I continued and went to a random 90kg 3x3 paused. Felt good to have moderately heavier weight in my paws again. Backed off with a few drop sets of ascending reps.

Run: Warmed up with 5 mins walk at 6kmph then from 5 mins onwards I ran 20 mins non stop. The first 12 mins were at 11.4kmph. Dropped down to 10kmph for a couple of mins and then started increasing by 0.1kmph each half minute until the 20th of the run... which nicely got me back up to 11.4kmph.

Saturday Jan 2nd:

Climbed the highest mountain in Australia carrying a kid. Great views and fun experience once I blocked out the "Daddy I really want to go home!" in the pouring rain and howling wind. Summit was 2228m. It is classified as one of the 7 summits (the highest peaks on each of the 7 continents). The Australian peak is the lowest of the lot when compared to the likes of Mount Everest etc, but a satisfying achievement nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Monday January 4th: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x2
    125kg - 2x6 ... top sets
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    40kg - 3x10 ... PR. Probably

Split Squat
    just bodyweight - 3x8 ... light assistance
    ---

Have been on the road the past 4 days driving ~1250km, during which I climbed the highest peak in Oz (see previous post). Wasn't sure how I'd feel Squatting tonight as I was home just a couple of hours.

Squats felt great though. 125kg for 2x6 felt good.

Achieved the target of 40kg 3x10 on Military Press. In the lead up to my comp last Oct I used to do 40kg 3x8 as assistance after bench, so had structured the down time after that comp with the intention of a deload and then building up to an extra couple of reps on the three sets, which culminated today in getting them after 15 sessions of increasing 1kg at a time (from 25kg 3x10 to 40kg 3x10).

Didn't use any weight on the Split Squats - to give my knees some respite after the mountain climb a few days ago.

Good.

Checking back through my log to see how I went regarding New Years Goals set at beginning of 2015. As usual I had some high and lofty goals which I didn't quite hit. However, I'm liking the fact that year on year I have made incremental progress on all the lifts.

Below are the 2013/2014/2015 year end numbers from the Big 3 lifts in competition for each particular year. Interesting to note that my Bench was the biggest mover in 2015 (ie. 5kg increase on 2014: 112.5kg vs 107.5kg). All the below done in the 83kg bodyweight category.

Year: 2013/2014/2015
    Squat: 150/157.5/160kg
    Bench: 102.5/107.5/112.5kg
    Deadlift: 165/175/180kg

Goals for 2016:
    Reduce bodyfat and keep the incremental progress going on the Big 3 so I'll have another set of incremental numbers to add to the above in a years time.

Tuesday January 5th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 6x6 ... dawn of a new cycle
    **add slingshot & wrist wraps**
    90kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3 ... felt heavy

Barbell Row
    50kg - 6x10
    ---
    Sumo Deadlift
    50kg - 3x3 ... just checking body won't implode
    ---
    Run (Treadmill) - Couch to 5k week 6 day 1
    incline 2. From 5 mins onwards = [run 5:00 / walk 3:00 / run 8:00 / walk 3:00 / run 5:00]
    ---

Bench and Rows were fine. First time doing Barbell Rows in approx 1 month. Back felt fine, so all good. Same story with light sumo Deads. Felt fine.

Run was good.

First 5 mins: Started off at 10kmph and increased by 1kmph each minute for the first 5 minutes until I was huffing and puffing like Thomas the tank engine.

Middle 8 mins: Second stint I took a bit easier, starting at 10kmph and increasing by 0.5kmph each minute until somewhere in the last few where I went back down to 10kmph to avoid cardiac arrest

Final 5 mins: Started at 10kmph and increased by 0.2kmph each minute. Was knackered towards the end and waiting for clock to count down.

Writing this the morning after the above ^^ and the weighing scales tells me I'm 79.9kg. That is possibly the first time I"ve been under 80kg for 5.5 years. A lot of that weight loss is probably glycogen depletion given the weights and run last night.

Friday January 8th: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    130kg - 2x5 ... top sets. Good.
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    41kg - 3x9

Split Squat
    5kg plate per arm - 3x8 ... light assistance
    ---

Pretty happy to have hit 130kg 2x5 Squat at <80kg bodyweight. Was alrighty. Haven't weighed myself since last log entry where I was 79.9kg but reckon I haven't gotten any fatter in a couple of days. Will be looking to hit 135kg 2x5 in a few weeks and then attempt 140kg 2x5 in the not too distant future.

Military Press: Added 1kg and subtracted a rep.

Split Squat: some nice light assistance.

Had second physio session this week on my neck. Right side has been a bit painful for the past 2.5 months. May have strained it training or sleeping and it never quite recovered, so using the private health insurance to get it sorted out. Physio reckons I may have strained a facet joint and loosed it up. Felt better after first session and is a bit tender now after second session this morning. Feels much improved in terms of lack of pain and increased ROM now.

Was absolutely shattered for the past couple of days following the last run. Had planned to Squat yesterday, but needed the extra day off. Went to bed last night around 7:30pm.

Saturday January 9th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 7x5 ... alright. Finding groove again

Barbell Row
    50kg - 7x10
    ---
    Sumo Deadlift
    65kg - 3x3
    ---
    Run (Treadmill) - Couch to 5k week 6 day 2
    incline 2. From 5 mins onwards = [run 10:00 / walk 3:00 / run 10:00]. Started each run segment at 10kmph and increased by 0.1kmph each minute
    ---

Nothing exceptional to report. Doing the work in the early days of the bench program. Increasing sumo deads by 15kg to continue getting the feel of them again. Run felt good.

Monday January 11th: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    95kg - 1x3
    107.5kg - 2x8 ... top sets. Tired
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    42kg - 3x9

Split Squat
    15kg plate per arm - 3x6
    ---

Felt fatigued / achey going into this one. Blaming the increased volume of running.

Tuesday January 12th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 8x4 ... fine but felt heavier than expected
    **add slingshot ... NO wrist wraps**
    95kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x3

Barbell Row
    50kg - 8x10
    ---
    Sumo Deadlift
    70kg - 1x5
    80kg - 3x3
    ---
    Run (Treadmill) - Couch to 5k week 6 day 3
    incline 2. Walk 5 mins, then run 25 mins. Started at 10kmph and increased by 0.1kmph every 2 minutes.. which brought me up to 11.2kmph at the end
    ---

Good.

Thursday January 14th: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x2
    117kg - 2x6 ... top sets
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    43kg - 3x9

Split Squat
    20kg plate per arm - 3x6
    ---

Felt a bit tired and achey going into the above but pulled through ok.

Military Press felt strong.

Split Squats really dependent on foot position. Got a good one on 2nd and 3rd sets and they felt pretty good compared to the first.

Squats were fine.

Friday January 15th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 10x3 ... Fine & in general felt better than last bench session

Barbell Row
    50kg - 7x10
    ---
    Sumo Deadlift
    70kg - 1x5
    100kg - 3x3
    ---
    Run (Treadmill) - Couch to 5k week 7 day 1
    - incline 2
    - Walk 5 mins, then run 25 mins
    - Started run at 10kmph and increased by 0.1kmph every 2 minutes.. which brought me up to 11.2kmph at the end
    ---

Kept the pace up on bench/row supersets and got through the work sets in 48 mins. Could get it down by 10 to 15 mins more I reckon as was doing some net surfage in between.

Run was fine. All the runs from here in couch to 5km weeks 7/8/9 are "long".... i.e. a week of 3 runs of 25 min length in week 7, 3x28 mins in week 8 and 3x30 mins in week 9.

Saturday January 16th:

Had my second Dexa bodyfat scan today and the results since the first scan 8 weeks ago are pleasing. In summary I lost 2kg of fat in 8 weeks and put on 0.774kg of muscle. Factoring in the silly season of xmas where diet was less than optimal I see this as solid progress.

I've booked in the 3rd Dexa scan for 8 weeks time on March 12th and am motivated to keep the progress going. Particularly pleased given the conventional wisdom that it is tough to both lose fat and build muscle at the same time. Below follows a breakdown of the numbers and movement between the first and second scans over the course of 8 weeks

Dexa Scan:
    - Bodyweight 81.0kg
    - Skeleton: 3.102kg (up a couple of grams in both trunk and arms, but dropped slightly in legs)
    - Bodyfat: 18.629kg @ 23% (down from 20.664kg @ 25.1%)
    - Lean Mass (muscle & organs): 59.256kg (up from 58.479kg)

Trunk muscle: 25.883kg to 26.657kg for 0.774kg muscle gain
    Trunk fat: 9.833kg to 9.247kg for 0.586kg fat loss

Leg muscle: 20.328kg to 20.435kg for 0.107kg muscle gain
    Leg fat: 8.720kg to 7.597kg for 1.123kg fat loss

Arm muscle: 7.749kg to 7.688kg for 0.061kg muscle loss
    Arm fat: 1.444kg to 1.154kg for 0.290kg fat loss

What does all this mean?

- cardio is helping burn off heaps of fat.
    - dropping curls has caused my arms to loose a tiny bit of muscle mass. Combined with a lot of fat lost in that area it is no wonder that my slingshot has been feeling loose recently on the arms
    - the addition of Military Press for the past couple of months is piling muscle on my upper body (0.774kg increase in 8 weeks)
    - the injury to my lower back at beginning of Dec may have been a reason why the lower body muscle mass only increased slighty in the 8 weeks - i.e. I wasn't Deadlifting at all and Squats were out of the program for a while
    - Bone density increased everywhere (trunk & arms) with the exception of legs. Possible impacts of running? I thought that would lead to increased bone density due to impact.

Interesting experience and looking forward to training for the next 8 weeks and the scan results thereafter. I have been taking weekly photos to document my progress since starting my body recomposition exercise in Nov. The fat loss is visible and encouraging, along with the increased muscle mass on the upper body (predominantly shoulders)

• Advertisement

Sunday January 17th

Bike: Cycled 31.9km Capital City Trail with the 2 kiddies in the back of bike trailer. That's about an extra 40kg. Wrecked after it but great cardio work.

Monday January 18th: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    127kg - 2x5 ... top sets. Alrght
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    44kg - 3x8

Split Squat
    5kg plate per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Front Squat
    44kg - 1x8
    ---

Legs wrecked after weighted cycle yesterday. Continued on with Squat program today and managed the 127kg 2x5 alright. Legs shaking afterwards in the shower due to the extreme cardio yesterday combined with Squats today.

Military Press increased by 1kg again. Dropped the reps from 3x9 to 3x8 so I don't burn out too early.

Added 1 set of Front Squats to get back into them and to hit legs a bit differently for additional muscle stimulus. Will increase these (sets & weights) in the coming while. All in the name of increasing the lower body muscle (see Dexa scan post above ^^).

Tuesday January 19th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 6x6 ... fine
    **add slingshot for all & wrist wraps for final set**
    95kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3
    112kg - 1x2 ... supposed to be 3

Barbell Row
    50kg - 6x10
    ---
    Sumo Deadlift (all double overhand)
    70kg - 1x5
    120kg - 3x3
    ---
    BB Curl
    30kg - 3x8

Plate Pinch (grip training)
    5kg per arm - duration = count to 60
    10kg per arm - duration = count to 60
    15kg per arm - duration = count to 60
    ---
    Run (Treadmill) - Couch to 5k week 7 day 2
    incline 2. Walk 5 mins, then run 25 mins. Started at 10kmph and increased by 0.1kmph every 2 minutes.. which brought me up to 11.2kmph at the end
    ---

Bench worksets easy as expected.

Slingshot Bench should have been 3 reps on 112kg but racked after 2 as it felt too close to failure.

Felt good to have some moderate weight in hands on Sumo Deadlift, as I haven't Deadlift much in the past 7 weeks.

Added dedicated curls so don't loose any more pipe size at next Dexa!

Added grip training in the form of plate pinching to work the forearms. My home gym plates are bumpers which means that as the weight gets heavier the plates gets wider so the effort goes up exponentially. 5kg and 10kg were fine. 15kg was getting a bit more awkward to hold on to but I'm sure this will build up nicely in the coming weeks.

Run was fine. Just burning fat.

Thursday January 21st: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    82kg - 1x3
    102kg - 1x2
    112kg - 2x8 ... top sets
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    45kg - 3x8

Split Squat
    5kg plate per arm - 3x8
    ---
    Front Squat
    45kg - 1x8
    ---

Squats fine.

Military Press is now officially 5kg up on my standard working 3x8 sets from a couple of months ago when I used it as assistance comping into last Oct comp.

Split Squats & Front Squats for muscular leg variety - lol.

Friday January 22nd: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 7x5 ... Fine

Barbell Row
    50kg - 7x10
    ---
    Sumo Deadlift
    70kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    125kg - 3x3 ... double overhand
    ---
    Run (Treadmill) - Couch to 5k week 7 day 3
    - incline 2
    - Walk 5 mins, then run 25 mins
    - Started run at 9kmph and increased by 0.2kmph every 2 minutes.. which brought me up to 11.4kmph at the end
    ---

Bench & Rows were fine. Just doing the work.

Grip was slipping on 125kg Deadlifts double overhand. Down to feeling pretty knackered in general. Probably shouldn't have tried to Deadlift heavy twice per week with the amount of Squatting & running I'm currently doing.

Started off at bit slower on the run but made bigger increments over the 25 mins.

Tuesday January 26th: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x2
    122kg - 2x6 ... top sets. Fine
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    46kg - 3x8

Front Squat
    46kg - 3x8
    ---

Was supposed to do this yesterday (Monday) but was feeling knackered from being slightly sniffly with mild cold & also home supervising 2 kiddies all day. Had the chance to train in the evening, but opted to go to bed at 6:30pm instead. Slept for 13+ hours which is the longest sleep I've had in ... years? Had some pretty vivid dreams too.

Got up today (which happens to be Australia day) and did a few family things before fitting the above training in mid afternoon.

Military Press is feeling good. Added 1kg and kept pushing the 3x8s. Would like to get this up to 50kg 3x8 in the next couple of weeks.

Squats felt a bit ropey when warming up. You know that ill feeling where your head feels under intense pressure and all the blood goes to your neck? The worksets were ok though.

Swapped Front Squats in instead of Split Squats for variety & to hit the quads more. The weight on Front Squats was particularly light - I just used what was on the bar from the Military Press - but will built this up over time. Using light weight is handy to get used to the motor pattern before ramping up anyway.

Wednesday January 27th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 8x4 ... felt heavier than it should have
    **add slingshot for all & wrist wraps for final set**
    90kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x3

Barbell Row
    50kg - 8x10
    ---
    BB Curl
    40kg - 3x6
    ---
    Run (Treadmill) - Couch to 5k week 8 day 1
    - incline 2
    - walk 5 mins, then run 28 mins
    - started at 10kmph and increased by 0.1kmph every 3 minutes.. which brought me up to 10.9kmph at the end
    ---

Got through it alright but can feel than Bench is taking a battering coming in the day after Military Pressing heavy & the twice a week runs.

Run is now up to 28 mins and I'm into the penultimate week. Each of the 3 runs this week is 28 mins. Next week, for the last week, will be 3 runs of 30 mins.

Friday January 29th: Squat

Squat (low bar)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    100kg - 1x2
    120kg - 1x1
    132kg - 2x5 ... top sets. Alrighty
    70kg - 1x12 ... drop set
    ---
    Military Press
    47kg - 3x8

Front Squat
    47kg - 3x8
    ---

Pretty happy to have Squat 132kg 2x5. Felt alright to be honest. Was expecting it to be harder and almost convinced myself to take another day of rest as still feeling mildly ill / nasally. Instead I got into the shed and got the work done. Having the in-laws here visiting helped with that extra rage factor necessary to move some heavy weight.

That is the end of this Squat cycle. Will be good to have a deload whilst the runs get longer for the next 5 sessions (over approx 2.5 weeks) before building up to Squatting 135kg 2x5 in 6-8 weeks. Need to plan it out over next couple of days taking into account what is going on outside of the gym life-wise.

Military Press still going strong. Another 1kg upwards. Felt easier than the last session - perhaps because I was coming off the heavy ass Squats and body was amped up.

Front Squats feeling nice on the quads too. Light stuff for blood circulation / pumpage / musle growth and working on form. Used a slightly wider grip than usual on the first couple of sets as I noticed that Brett Gibbs (IPF83kg world champion powerlifter) has a fairly wide Front Squat rack position.

In other good news - I'm back down into waist size 32 inch jeans and shorts. Bought two new pairs of each in past couple of days. Also was on the look out for formal trousers for work - but the brand I usually get have been discontinued apparently so need to try on another 10,000 pairs to find ones which fit my boo-tay. Have been up in the 34 waist size for the past 2 years so glad to be back down in 32 inch waistland/wasteland. Aim is to never leave/get fat again (but obviously put on a heap more muscle whilst staying svelte). Still got more fat to drop but pretty happy with how things are going at the mo-mo.

What else? Ummm - probably going to see the new Star Wars in a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,606 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd say you notice a massive difference in terms of time and accessibility having your own gear to train with!

Do you miss training in a gym at all?

• Advertisement

I'd say you notice a massive difference in terms of time and accessibility having your own gear to train with!

Definitely. It's an incredibly awesome time saver and aligns with my obsessive compulsive loner tendencies
    Do you miss training in a gym at all?

No.

Over the past 6 years in Australia I have been lucky enough to have trained in a number of high quality powerlifting gyms on both east and west coasts as I moved around on work assignments. I made a lot of good contacts and learned a heap.

On the other hand, I also learnt a heap training alone (early in morning / late at night) and following various youtubers (Mark Bell, Matt Vincent, Brett Gibbs, Brandon Lilly, etc, etc). It got to the stage where I don't need the backslapping/cheer leading of a group atmosphere anymore. I'm a self starter and bit of a loner when it comes down to it.

I also don't have time to spent 3 hours per session in some gym, no matter how good, for the sake of banter & back slapping/cheer leading.

For most of 2015 I trained four days per week. I would force myself to train at 6am three mornings a week in one gym (Mon/Tues/Fri or Sat), and then drive about 20-30 mins to another place for the 4th training session late Thursday evening.

The problem was that I was training too early and too late & spending my time in a great gym alone there either opening it or closing it (i.e. no team atmosphere)

The retort to the above from someone younger may be "why not just train when everyone else does?". Well, having a 4 year old at school & a 1 year old at daycare, combined with a working wifey means that there is lots of other logistical challenges to the family jigsaw and thus training time is like gold dust and typically falls in the red-eye hours. Both wifey & I train by the way - which adds another layer of complexity as we both have to train either early/late whilst the other is home on sentry duty.

Advertisement