Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Saturday July 30th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x3
    92kg – 6x4

Barbell Row
    60kg - 3x5 (fat gripz)
    80kg - 3x5 (no fat gripz)
    ---

Nothing spectacular to report. Almost skipped this workout due to Deadlift DOMS. Stuck to the plan and got through the main work. Dropped the fluffy assistance for the sake or recovery.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday August 1st: Squat Deload

Squat
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x3
    100kg – 3x5 ... nice easy deload
    ---
    Front Squat
    40kg – 3x8
    ---
    Abs (plank)
    5 mins of 15 secs on / 15 secs off
    ---
    Calf Raise (on incline plate)
    bodyweight - 3x15
    ---

Week 4 of 8 - usual easy dead load after first 3 weeks of 6x6 with chains. The next 4 weeks will see final build up to peak with 3x6s. Wanna hit 140kg for 3x6 on final session.

Front Squats felt nice super light. Haven't done them for a few months.

Wednesday August 3rd: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x3
    90kg – 1x1
    97kg – 6x3 ... "..." (see what I did there?)
    45kg – 3x10 ... close grip feet up

Face Pull
    band - 6x15
    ---

In the midst of a head cold at the moment. This particular workout saw me battle through a migraine - possibly due to blocked sinus. 97kg 6x3 worksets felt very heavy and head was thumping through-out. Worst bench session for a long time. Was happy just to get through it and aim for full recovery before next training.

Dropped the close grip weight a lot as zero energy to go heavier.

Face Pull assistance. Used to do Barbell Rows here, but saving lowerback for Fridays heavy Deadlits.

Friday August 5th: Deadlift

Deadlift (conventional)
    70kg – 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    **add belt**
    130kg - 1x2 ... double overhand to here
    150kg - 16 reps EMOM ... mixed grip alternating each rep
    ---
    Hack Squat
    70kg - 3x8
    ---
    Abs (plank)
    ---

There is the first mini peak of the Deadlift cycle: 150kg conventional for a rep each minute for 16 minutes. The last few reps were tough. Never felt close to failure but need to watch that I keep back nice and straight and don't give in to rounding.

That is the heaviest Deadlifting I've done in my home gym. It is also the heaviest conventional Deadlifting I've done in very close to 5 years (it was Sept 2011 when I injured my back Deadlifting 160kg 3x5 conventional on last rep of third set).

Hack Squats with 70kg still set my quads on fire.

Abs were easy - watched some super mario / stan efferding on my phone during those 5 mins.

Saturday August 6th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x3
    87kg – 6x6

Barbell Row
    40kg - 6x8 (fat gripz) ... first 3 sets double overhand, second 3 sets double underhand
    ---
    Military Press
    20kg – 1x6
    50kg – 3x5
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    30kg – 3x10
    ---

Feeling better today. Head cold gone. Benching good.

Left forearm muscle is sore somewhere over the part where it connects into elbow on top. Perhaps strained grip over the past weeks with fat grips. Have felt it building up. Kept the rows lighter because of it.

Military Press was going to be for 3x6 but first set heavy enough so cut to 3x5 at 50kg.

Curls to finish it off.

Good.

• Advertisement

Monday August 8th: Squat Deload

Squat
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    90kg – 1x3
    110kg – 3x6 ... felt very heavy for the 1st of 4 week mini peak
    ---
    Front Squat
    40kg – 1x8
    45kg – 1x8
    50kg – 1x8
    ---
    Abs (plank)
    ---
    Calf Raise (on incline plate)
    bodyweight - 3x15
    ---

Squats felt terrible. 110kg is nothing but felt like a max effort. Deadlift peak a few days ago has me battered. Fat grip rowing has my forearms and gripping muscles in ribbons. Everything felt uncomfy when Squatting. Head was pounding again with recurring cold. Hopefully will feel better in the coming days where everything ramps down for a couple of weaks and I cut the assistance.

Wednesday August 10th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x5
    92kg - 6x5 ... alright but accidently had 97kg on the bar for second set which was an all time PR for a set of 5 (by 1kg)

Face Pull
    band - 6x15
    ---

Accidental Bench PR on the 2nd set by misloading with 97kg (instead of 92kg) for a set of 5 paused. Nice. Was wondering why it felt heavier but thought it was just the dark and coldness playing tricks on me. Wifey pointed it out afterwards.

Friday August 12th: Deadlift

Deadlift (conventional, beltless)
    70kg – 1x5
    100kg - 3x6
    ---
    Hack Squat
    70kg - 3x8
    ---
    Abs (plank)
    8:45 mins of 15 secs on / 15 secs off
    ---

Deadlifts were week 1 of 4 of this mini peak. Realized afterwards that they felt different as I did them totally beltless and could feel them more in mid back.

Set the wrong duration timer on the abs and didn't realize until 8 mins and 45 seconds into it when abs started to heat up. Had only planned 5 mins.

Saturday August 13th: Bench

Bench (all paused)
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x3
    90kg – 1x1
    97kg – 6x4 ... alright.

Barbell Row
    40kg - 6x8
    ---

Bench was alrght. Did the last rep of one of the 5th set TNG as seemed to get into a sub optimal groove on the way down and had to slightly bale on the pause. The rest were moderately heavy. Left elbow is slightly sore/strained from either the additional tricep work in recent weeks or the heavy deadlift volume with mixing alternate grip.

Thursday August 18th: Squat

Squat
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x3
    100kg – 1x2
    120kg – 1x1 .... was supposed to be 3x6 ... felt terrible after 1st rep so racked it
    ---
    Front Squat
    40kg – 3x5
    ---

Couldn't train between last Saturday and today (Thursday). Was working long hours with sub par rest and nutrition which basically screwed up this training cycle. Back to the drawing board. Will have to reset and start again.

• Advertisement

Saturday August 20th: Deadlift & Bench

70kg – 1x5
    90kg – 1x5
    110kg - 3x6 ... double overhand
    ---
    Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 3x10
    ---
    Calf Raise
    bodyweight + 20kg with the spud belt - 3x10
    ---

Some handy beltless double overhand Deadlifts followed by deload Bench with bicep & calf gravy.

Monday August 22nd: Squat Deload

Squat (high bar, beltless)
    20kg – 1x6
    30kg – 1x6
    40kg – 1x6
    50kg – 1x6
    60kg – 1x6
    70kg – 1x6
    80kg – 1x6
    ---
    Front Squat
    50kg – 3x8
    ---
    Abs (plank)
    ---

Logs of legs swings for warm ups had these light deload Squat ROM feeling very nice & deep. Typically I would need heavier weight (60kg ish) to get down into the hole. With the above I was ass to grass for each set.

Front Squats bust up my abs as usual. Good.

Wednesday August 24th: Bench deload

Bench (paused)
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x8
    68kg - 3x8
    ---
    Barbell Row
    20kg - 1x10
    40kg - 6x8 (first 3 sets narrow grip, second 3 sets wide grip)
    ---

Some light stuff.

Friday August 26th: Deadlift & Bench

70kg – 1x5
    100kg – 1x5
    120kg - 3x6 ... double overhand
    ---
    Anti Rotation Abs (band)
    - Front Raise - 1x8 per side
    - Press - 1x8 per side
    ---

Possibly the heaviest beltless conventional Deadlifts I've ever done.

Getting a nice tight setup with lats engaged.

Enjoying Deadlifting at the moment.

Monday August 29th: Squat

Squat (no belt, no wrist wraps)
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x5
    90kg – 3x6 ... handy

Front Squat
    60kg – 3x8
    ---
    Abs (plank)
    ---

Abs on fire from the front squats.

Wednesday August 31st: Bench

Bench
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 3x8 … possibly a PR
    40kg – 3x12 … close grip

Barbell Row
    40kg – 6x10
    ---

Some nice easy benching for high(er) reps

Friday Sept 2nd: Deadlift

Deadlift (conventional)
    70kg – 1x5
    100kg – 1x3
    120kg – 1x2
    130kg – 3x6 …. Double overhand for first set & half of the second before switching to mixed grip. Handy enough otherwise

Hack Squat
    70kg – 3x8
    ---
    Abs (plank)
    3 sets of 20 slow count on / 10 slow count off with 10kg plate on back
    ---

Enjoyed Deads.

Saturday Sept 3rd: Bench

Bench
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    82kg – 6x6

Barbell Row
    50kg – 3x10

T-Bar Row
    Bar + 40kg – 3x10
    ---

Start of a new bench program.

Monday Sept 5th: Squat

20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x5
    100kg – 3x6 ... handy

Front Squat
    65kg – 3x6
    ---
    Abs (plank)
    3 sets of 20 slow count on / 10 slow count off with 10kg plate on back
    ---

More enjoyable Squats (back & front).

Wednesday Sept 7th: Bench

Bench
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 1x3
    87kg – 6x5

Barbell Row
    60kg – 6x8
    ---

Some benching.

• Advertisement

Friday Sept 9th: Deadlift

Deadlift (conventional)
    70kg – 1x5
    100kg – 1x3
    120kg – 1x2
    140kg – 2x3
    150kg – 1x2
    160kg – 1x1 ... heaviest conventional Deadlift in 5 years
    170kg – fail #1
    170kg – fail #2
    170kg – fail #3 sumo
    110kg – 1x6 ... beltless backoff set
    110kg – 1x1 ... dropped it after a rep or two when planning 6 due to a pain in lower right back/obliques

Abs (plank)
    3 sets of 30 count on / 10 count off
    ---

Training has been all over the place recently so I decided to just max out and see where my conventional stands. 160kg for a single was alright. In my head it was alright enough that I was thinking about going for an all time PR of 180kg+... however failing 170kg 3 times (twice conventional and third time sumo) put a stop to that enthusiasm.

Slightly tweaked something on 2nd backoff set with 110kg beltless so left if at that. Back ok 2 days later as I type so wasn't anything terminal.

Saturday Sept 10th: Dexa

Got a total slap in the face with a ~3kg loss of muscle and a ~1kg fat gain in the past 10 weeks.

Work has been all over the place. Long days & a fair bit of stress - even though I like to think it dosen't get to me. Proof is in the pudding. All this work pressure playing havoc with hormones, lack of sleep, nutrition, etc... even though I was largely following the same 4 day per week program which gave me great gains 10 weeks ago.

Will update this post at some time in the future with the full details of the scan. Wrecked right now and don't have the will/motivation/time.

Need a more relaxed lifestyle and time to ponder the finer things in life instead of this constant rat race and corporate ladder chicanery.

Thursday Sept 15th: Squat

20kg – 1x5
    40kg – 1x5
    60kg – 3x8

SLDL
    20kg – 1x5
    40kg – 1x5
    60kg – 3x8
    ---

Day 1 back.

Friday Sept 16th: Bench

Bench
    20kg – 1x5
    40kg – 1x5
    60kg – 3x8

Barbell Row
    20kg – 1x5
    40kg – 1x5
    60kg – 3x8
    ---
    Military Press
    40kg – 3x8

Barbell Curl
    30kg – 3x8
    ---

Some upperbody.

Sunday Sept 18th: Squat

Deadlift (conventional)
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 3x8

Squat
    20kg – 1x5
    50kg – 1x5
    70kg – 1x8, 1x2... stopped with lower right back/hip pop
    ---

Some more light lowerbody stuff.

Was planning 3x8 on Squats but cut it short after something went pop on 2nd workset. Slightly tender but nothing major. Just haven't recovered fully from 1.5 weeks ago I guess.

Bought a new pair of running shoes on Friday last. My old ones were dumped recently as falling apart. The modern day construction of these running shoes nowadays surprised me. Don't worry - I'm not gonna turn into a runner. Just want some comfy shoes for hill sprints or short to medium distance fat burning around the park.

Sunday Sept 18th: Hill Sprints

2x5 up a nice grassy knoll with 5yo egging me on :)

Had a great sleep that night. Felt good to be doing something outside the gym and getting the heart pumping in the fresh air.

Monday Sept 19th: Bench

Bench
    20kg – 1x5
    50kg – 1x5
    70kg – 3x8

Face Pull
    3x10
    ---
    DB Shoulder Press
    10kg per arm – 3x10

Chin Up
    3x3
    ---

Some easy upper body. Getting back into chin ups. Pretty easy & nice ROM. Kept the reps and sets low to get used to them again before ramping up. Left elbow slightly sore still so generally keeping things low key.

Tuesday Sept 21st: Hill Sprints

2x5 up a nice grassy hill

Wednesday Sept 21st: Squat

20kg – 1x5
    20kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5
    80kg – 3x8

SLDL
    20kg – 1x5
    50kg – 1x5
    70kg – 3x8
    ---

Got through the above nicely in 25-30 mins. Fine.

• Advertisement

Thursday 22nd: Shoulders & Gunz.

Military Press
    20kg – 1x5
    41kg – 3x8

Barbell Curl
    30kg – 3x8
    ---

Good quick one.

Advertisement