Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday Feb 6th: Squat Day 4 & Bench Day 4 - Kuwait (Ras Al Salmiya)

Squat
    120kg - 3x3 ... handy enough

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    60kg - 3x6

Bench
    90kg - 6x3 .... but could have been anywhere from 85-95kg

Reverse Fly
    6 ascending sets from 2kg DBs to 7kg - 6x10

Hammer Curls
    10kg per arm - 3x10

DB Overhead Press
    3 ascending sets of DBs (15, 20 and 25kg) 3x8s perhaps
    ---

Bench bar definetly isn't 20kg. Just threw on two x 20kg per side and hoped for the best and it must have been somewhere around the planned 90kg 6x3. Funnily enough - once I completed one of the sets the trainer came over and shook hands with me. Then another one.

Think they haven't seen anyone every bench two plates aside before... regardless of how light the bar is. It's funny being the strongest guy in most of these Middle East gyms. Other gyms are bigger/more pumped.. but haven't come across many people who actually lift heavy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday Feb 9th: Bit of movement - Hilton Dubai

Lunges
    Up to 17.5kg DBs (the max available) for 6x5 ascending up to final 3 sets across

DB Bench
    Up to 17.5kg DBs (the max available) for 6x5 ascending up to final 3 sets across

Hammer Curls
    10kg per arm - 3x10

DB Overhead Press
    3 ascending sets of DBs. Cannot remember weight - 3x8
    ----

Quick hotel gym workout before cutting hair and hopping on plane from Dubai back to Melbourne.

Saturday Feb 11h: Squat Day 5 & Bench Day 5 - Melbourne (Dohertys)

Squat
    100kg - 3x9

Bench
    80kg - 6x6

Reverse Fly
    6 ascending sets of 12 reps: 2kg, 4kg, 6kg, 8kg, 10kg, 12kg

Hammer Curls
    10kg per arm - 3x10

DB Overhead Press
    3 ascending sets of DBs (14, 18 and 22g) 3x8s
    ---

Back in Australia for a few days. Keeping the training train... training.

Monday Feb 13th: Squat Day 6 & Bench Day 6 - Melbourne (Dohertys)

Squat
    110kg - 3x7

Bench (close grip, all paused)
    85kg - 6x5

Chin Ups
    6x5

Hammer Curls
    12kg per arm - 3x8

DB Overhead Press
    14kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Just getting the work done mid cycle on Bench and Squats with some light assistance after.

Interestingly I seem to have packed on a heap of upperbody muscle over the 6 weeks away in the Middle East. That was accidental, not planned - but I'll take it. In late 2016 I was Squatting 4 days a week and Benching 2 days a week.. for 6 days on/1day off per week. Due to the necessity of work in the Middle East I went down to only making it to the gym 3 days a week, where I Squat and Bench every single day. Turns out that this 3 days of full body workouts (i.e. benching 3 days a week vs previous 2) has produced some sizeable gains on the upperbody. A number of people have commented on this: some who understand training and some who just understand hunkyness. Clothes looking close to bursting point too. Nice.

Pretty proud of myself that I managed to stick to my training schedules and make gains without missing a session when I was all over the place physically for the past 1.5 months. Where there is a will there is a way to the gains.... or something.

Will try to squeeze in day 7 tomorrow before hopping on another intercontinental plane. Funny - whenever I think of "intercontinental" it reminds me of Razor Ramon from the WWF back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BossArky wrote: »
    Funny - whenever I think of "intercontinental" it reminds me of Razor Ramon from the WWF.

Reminds me of Mr Perfect or British Bulldog :)

• Advertisement

Haha! Yes, good options too!

I kinda wonder if watching those guys in the late 80s/early 90s is what influenced me as an impressionable kid to want to get into lifting weights...

Haha! Yes, good options too!

I kinda wonder if watching those guys in the late 80s/early 90s is what influenced me as an impressionable kid to want to get into lifting weights...

Possibly. I used to tie bits of material around my arms to make my biceps look hooj like the Ultimate Warrior!

Saturday Feb 15th: Squat Day 7 & Bench Day 7 - Abu Dhabi (Hilton Grand Capital)

Squat
    120kg - 3x5

Bench
    90kg - 6x4

Reverse Fly
    4kg - 6x12

Hammer Curls
    12kg per arm - 3x10

DB Overhead Press
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    22kg per arm - 1x8
    24kg per arm - 1x8
    ---

Went to the hotel gym on the assumption that it would be the usual woefully under equipped type. Was pleasantly surprised to see a Squat rack there so ran back up to room and got my stuff. One hour later I was pumped to the max and satisfied that I got my full Squat and Bench training in as per schedule.

The bar was 11kg so I just lobbed on any extra 10kg to the plates to make it up.

Saturday Feb 18th: Squat Day 8 & Bench Day 8 - Dubai (Fitness First Motor City)

Squat
    130kg - 3x3 ... easy

Bench (paused, close grip)
    95kg - 6x3

Pull Ups
    6x5

Hammer Curls
    14kg per arm - 3x8

DB Overhead Press
    14kg per arm - 1x8
    18kg per arm - 1x8
    22kg per arm - 1x8
    ---

Good one. Feeling strong all around.

Purchased a bundle of 12 single tickets. The guy threw in 3 extra and allowed me train for free tonight. This should keep me going until all my gym equipment etc arrives from Australia.

In the midst of house/car hunting and settling the admin of a new life in a new location.

Monday Feb 20th: Squat Day 9 & Bench Day 9 - Dubai (Fitness First Motor City)

Squat
    110kg - 3x9

Bench
    85kg - 6x6

Reverse Fly
    1kg - 1x12
    3kg - 1x12
    5kg - 1x12
    7kg - 1x12
    9kg - 1x12

Hammer Curls
    14kg per arm - 3x8

DB Overhead Press
    18kg per arm - 1x8
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    22kg per arm - 1x8
    ---

Squats and first 4 sets of Bench were done like a massive back to back set - just enough rest time between working in with some randomers. Squats were pretty easy considering they are the peak of the 3x9s.

• Advertisement

Thursday Feb 23rd: Squat Day 10 & Bench Day 109 - Dubai (Fitness First Al Barsha)

Squat
    120kg - 3x7
    ---
    Deadlift
    100kg - 3x6
    ---
    90kg - 6x5

Chin Ups
    6x5
    ---
    Hammer Curls
    14kg per arm - 3x8

DB Overhead Press
    14kg per arm - 1x8
    18kg per arm - 1x8
    22kg per arm - 1x8
    ---

Squats were particularly easy considering it was the heaviest 3x7s of the cycle on 120kg.

Deadlifts were for the sake of keeping some skill/practice in.

Superset the Bench and Pull Ups for 6 sets each.

Curls and Shoulders at the end for the pump.

Walked about 2km each way to the gym in my Squat shoes taking in some of the sights and sounds of this particular area of Dubai.

Saturday Feb 25th: Squat Day 11 & Bench Day 11 - Dubai (Fitness First Al Barsha)

Squat
    130kg - 3x5
    ---
    95kg - 6x4

Rev Fly
    1kg per arm - 1x12
    3kg per arm - 1x12
    5kg per arm - 1x12
    7kg per arm - 1x12
    9kg per arm - 1x12
    10kg per arm - 1x12
    ---
    Hammer Curls
    16kg per arm - 3x8

DB Overhead Press
    14kg per arm - 1x8
    18kg per arm - 1x8
    22kg per arm - 1x8
    ---

2nd last day of the cycle.

Squats felt good. Same with Bench.

Hammer Curls increased by 2kg. These feel pretty easy. Will go heavier next time.

Tuesday Feb 27th: Squat Day 12 & Bench Day 12 - Dubai (Fitness First Al Barsha)

Squat
    140kg - 3x3
    ---
    100kg - 6x3

Pull Ups (parallel grip)
    6x3
    ---
    Hammer Curls
    18kg per arm - 3x8

DB Overhead Press
    14kg per arm - 1x8
    18kg per arm - 1x8
    22kg per arm - 1x8
    ---
    DB Bench
    12kg per arm - 3x12 ... holding the stretch at the bottom for a few secs each rep

DB Row
    12kg per arm - 3x12
    ---
    Leg Press
    machine 1 - 3x12
    machine 2 - 3x15
    ---

Finished the Squat (140kg 3x3) and Bench (100kg 6x3) cycles successfully. Both handy enough. Next time I'll add 5kg to Squat and 2.5kg to Bench.

Gonna add some leg press bodybuilding too to put some more size on legs, given the positive results I've received in the past 2 months from upperbody bodybuiling after main work sets.

Sunday March 5th: Squat Day 1 & Bench Day 1 - Dubai (Fitness First Al Barsha)

Squat
    95kg - 3x9 ... back Squat with belt
    80kg - 1x20 ... back Squat without belt
    60kg - 3x5 ... front Squat
    ---
    77.5kg - 6x6

Pull Ups (parallel grip)
    3x6
    ---
    Inverted Row
    3x8
    ---
    Barbell Curls
    20kg - 1x8
    30kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x6

DB Overhead Press
    14kg per arm - 1x8
    18kg per arm - 1x8
    22kg per arm - 1x8
    ---
    Rev Fly
    1kg per arm - 1x12
    2kg per arm - 1x12
    3kg per arm - 1x12
    ---
    Ab Roll out
    3x8
    ---

Took 6 days off between cycles. Did a lot of swimming. Went to see GnR play in the midst of the desert.

New cycle: Adding 5kg to Squat and 2.5kg to Bench.

Wednesday March 9th: Squat Day 2 & Bench Day 2 - Dubai (Fitness First Media City)

Squat
    105kg - 3x7
    80kg - 1x20 ... straight through, no stopping
    ---
    82.5kg - 6x5

Rev Fly
    1.25kg per arm - 3x8-12

One Arm DB Row
    10 or 16kg (cannot remember) - 3x6-8 ... light stuff
    ---

The back-off 20 rep Squat set destroyed me and Bench felt 20kg heavier than it actually was.

Have been trying out a few Fitness Firsts as part of my 15 voucher pack. Had read good things about this one but wasn't impressed after first hand experience. Too much clutter, weights, plates and DBs dumped everywhere and really pokey and overcrowded. Won't return.

Sunday March 12th: Squat Day 3 & Bench Day 3 - Dubai (Fitness First Al Barsha)

Squat
    115kg - 3x5 ... so uncomfy with belt as stuffed from food less than an hour before
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x5
    120kg - 1x5
    130kg - 1x5
    140kg - 1x5 ... handy enough
    ---
    87.5kg - 6x4
    ---
    Barbell Row
    60kg - 3x10
    ---
    DB Overhead Press
    18kg per arm - 3x8

Hammer Curls
    12kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

First time Deadlifting in about 6 weeks. Worked up to 140kg for a set of 5 which felt good.

Monday March 13th: Squat Day 4 & Bench Day 4 - Kuwait (HI hotel gym)

Squat
    125kg - 3x3
    ---
    92.5kg - 6x3 ... bar may have weighed 10-15kg... assuming 20kg

Rev Fly
    5kg DB - 3x10
    2.5kg plate - 3x10
    ---
    Machine Overhead Press
    easy - 1x~12
    40kg - 1x~12
    45kg - 1x~8
    25kg - 1x12
    20kg - 1x12
    15kg - 1x12
    ---
    Chin Ups (parallel grip)
    bodyweight - 1x6
    bodyweight +10kg DB - 1x6
    bodyweight - 1x6
    ---
    Hammer Curls
    10kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Getting the work done. Worked in with some juiced up dude whose party trick was unracking the Squat bar with no bands and only taking a grip before Squatting. Each rep a half rep at best with much grunting and groaning. He did work up to 2 half reps on 160kg to be fair but I'd say he'd have gotten stapled if he took 100kg to proper depth.

Wednesday March 15th: Squat Day 5 & Bench Day 5 - Kuwait (HI hotel gym)

Squat
    105kg - 3x9
    ---
    82.5kg - 6x6 ... bar may have weighed 10-15kg... assuming 20kg

Barbell Row
    60kg - 3x6
    ---
    DB Press
    10kg per arm - 1x6
    15kg per arm - 1x6
    20kg per arm - 1x6
    25kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    Leg Press ... just testing out the machine
    very very light - 1x12
    very light - 1x12
    light - 1x12

Seated Row Machine ... just testing out the machine
    very very light - 1x12
    very light - 1x12
    light - 1x12
    ---
    DB Hammer Curl
    10kg per arm - 1x8
    12.5kg per arm - 1x8
    15kg per arm - 1x8

DB Arnold Press
    10kg per arm - 1x8
    12.5kg per arm - 1x8
    15kg per arm - 1x8
    ---

Got up at 6am to train. Was so asleep that I accidently hopped into shower for about 10 mins in a daze. Then realized I actually got up so early to train so had to hop out quickly and get a move on.

Gym nice and quiet in the morning compared to the evening time.

Squats and Bench ok. Did some additional assistance for variety: testing some machines. Added in DB Bench as wanna build that up. I'm particularly weak at it compared to my actual Bench.

Saturday March 18th: Squat Day 6 & Bench Day 6 - Kuwait (HI hotel gym)

Squat
    115kg - 3x7
    ---
    87.5kg - 3x6 ... bar may have weighed 10-15kg... assuming 20kg

Seated Row Machine
    30kg - 1x12
    40kg - 1x12
    50kg - 1x12
    ---
    DB Press
    10kg per arm - 1x6
    15kg per arm - 1x6
    20kg per arm - 1x6
    25kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    30kg - 3x10

DB Arnold Press
    12.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Hopping off plane from Dubai to Kuwait and straight into hotel gym to get the above done from 11pm-midnight.

Widened stance a lot on last set and really felt it in the adductors. Must try this more often as could utilize more muscle.

Cutting the Bench volume in half going forwards to include DB Bench or DB Shoulders on alternating days. Gonna mix it up after 38 months straight training Bench mainly twice (and more recently thrice) per week with 6 sets. Variety is the spice of life.

Monday March 20th: Squat Day 7 & Bench Day 7 - Kuwait (HI hotel gym)

Squat
    125kg - 3x5
    ---
    92.5kg - 3x4 ... bar may have weighed 10-15kg... assuming 20kg

Chin Ups (wide grip, parallel)
    3x4
    ---
    DB Bench
    17.5kg per arm - 1x8
    27.5kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    Hammer Curl
    10kg - 1x10
    12.5kg - 1x10
    15kg - 1x10
    ---

Concentrated on keeping a wide stance on Squats again and felt pretty powerful coming out of the bottom. Probably should video my Squats as it has been a while. Wanna make sure that I'm still hitting depth. Should be - but always good to check.

Increased DB Bench slightly and it felt way better than before.

Was funny - I was benching in with some bigger dude twice my size (as most Arabs are). His working weight was 80kg until I jumped in and got to my working sets on 92.5kg. He felt a bit put out so he threw on 100kg for one-upmanship and almost got stapled after a couple of half reps. He then went over into the corner to sulk as I smashed out the rest of my 92.5kg sets with ease. Tee-hee.

• Advertisement

Started back videoing on heavier days just to reassure myself that what feels like depth is deep enough (i.e. depth +10% for IPF).

Is it mostly hotel gyms you've been using lately?

Is it mostly hotel gyms you've been using lately?

Yeah - it has been Middle East hotel & commercial gyms for the best part of 3 months since I left Oz on Jan 2nd.

Just this morning my shipment of household stuff arrived from Oz to my Dubai home. The sight of my bars, plates & rack again was good to behold. Should be able to train with them again in the next couple of days once I get setup.

Going forwards training will be a mix of home (Dubai) on my own equipment mixed vs. commerical/hotel gyms (Kuwait) on business trips.

Happy enough how I managed with random equipment in the past few months.

Saturday March 25th: Squat Day 8 & Bench Day 8 - Dubai (@home)

Squat
    135kg - 3x3
    ---
    98kg - 3x3
    ---
    DB Shoulder Press
    10kg per arm - 3x12
    ---
    Hammer Curl
    10kg per arm - 3x8
    ---

Good to train at home on my own equipment.

Squat felt way heavier than it should have - probably the chickens coming home to roost after training with bars/plates for the past 3 months which were lighter than expected.

Bench - I found out that my setup seems to throw my right hand out a couple of cms and put me off balance. Need to focus on holding tight on the bar as I throw back and dig shoulders into bench.

Tuesday March 28th: Squat Day 9 - Kuwait (HI Hotel)

Squat
    115kg - 3x9
    ---

That was satisfying. Just before the last set I was called back to the office for an emergency client meeting. Impressive quad pump.

Friday March 31st: Bench Day 9 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused, back to normal wider ring finger on rings grip)
    88kg - 3x6
    ---
    Military Press
    20kg - 1x10
    60kg - 2x1 ... i.e. two singles - strict press
    60kg - 1x5 ... push press with some leg drive
    ---
    Barbell Row
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    Curls
    2 sets with chains
    2 sets with 20kg barbell
    ---

Took Bench grip back out to whether it used to be. Think I've had a good run of close grip in the past couple of months and not it is time to see if it has helped my comp bench (ring finger on rings).

Enjoying the pushpress. Shoulders battered as I type this the next day.

Friday March 31st: Bench Day 9 - Dubai (@home)

88kg - 3x6

BST0rYhgVMd

Saturday April 1st: Squat Day 10 - Dubai (@home)

Squat
    125kg - 3x7
    ---
    Deadlift
    70kg - 1x5
    110kg - 1x5
    130kg - 1x5
    150kg - 1x5
    ---
    Ab Roll Out
    3x7
    ---
    Grip Training
    - 20kg barbell per arm - 1 side at a time - 3 sets of counting to 40 in head
    - 20kg barbell per arm - both together - 2 sets holding for about 30 seconds stopping short of failure.
    ---

Squats were good. First set was the hardest. 2nd and 3rd ok. That equals my heaviest ever for 3x7. Two days left in this Squat cycle.

Deadlifts were satisfying. Up to a single set of 5 on 150kg. Felt pretty good.

Added some grip training. Didn't want to kill myself ahead of next 2 heavy days Squatting.

Monday April 3rd: Bench Day 10 - Kuwait (@HI)

92.5kg - 3x5 ... assuming bar weighs 20kg
    ---
    Machine Row
    light - 3x10
    ---
    DB Arnold Press
    5kg per arm - 1x10
    10kg per arm - 1x10
    5kg per arm - 1x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    5kg per arm - 1x10
    10kg per arm - 1x10
    5kg per arm - 1x10
    ---

Some quick benching. Got all the above done in about 30 mins. Assistance was very light. Saving myself for the heavy Squats to come later in the week.

Wednesday April 5th: Squat Day 11 - Dubai (@home)

Squat
    135kg - 3x5
    ---
    Stiff Leg Deads
    40kg - 3x8
    ---

Heaviest sets of 5 this year: 3x5 on 135kg. Also first time going proper low bar in 6+ months. Felt the extra power.

• Advertisement

Thursday April 6th: Bench Day 11 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    98kg - 3x4
    ---
    Military Press
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    ---
    Face Pull
    3x20
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10

DB Lateral Raise
    5kg - 3x5
    ---

Bench didn't feel too good. Used wide grip (ring fingers on rings) for the first 2 sets but felt a bit weak as haven't used that grip on heavy stuff for ages... so brought grip in to pinky on rings for the last set and got through it. I'm putting the lack of energy down to the heavy Squats last night.

The rest was pumping assistance.

Trained at home at lunchtime which was good.

Had such a good sleep last night. Very peaceful where I live these days. Feeling a lot let stressed.

Advertisement