Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday June 5th: Squat Day 1 of 12- Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats, beltless)
    95kg - 3x9
    ---
    GHR
    bodyweight - 3x12 ... setting 5 from the back

Leg Press
    130kg - 1x15
    150kg - 1x15
    170kg - 1x15 ... fine
    ---
    Seated Calf Raise
    20kg - 1x12
    40kg - 1x12
    50kg - 1x12
    20kg - 1x20
    20kg - 1x20
    ---

First day of new Squat cycle. Got through them quickly with heart thumping and then on to the assistance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I was browsing the 83kg grading scale for my old stomping grounds back in Oz. To quality for the national champs I would need a B grade total of minimum 460kg at 83kg.

To date my best ever lifts give me a 453.5kg total (SQ 160, BP 112.5, DL 181)

--> 6.5kg to go ... if I can string the 3 together in one comp.

Tuesday June 6th: Bench Day 1 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Bench (paused)
    80kg - 6x6 ... finished in 19 mins superset with barbell rows below
    40kg - 1x10 ... from here down was 3030 tempo, close grip, feet up, not fully locking out = tricep death
    30kg - 1x10
    20kg - 1x10

Barbell Row
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 6x6 ... to equalize exactly the benching
    ---
    Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 1x5
    bodyweight +2.5kg - 1x5
    bodyweight +5kg - 1x5

DB Arnold Press
    15kg per arm - 3x5
    ---
    DB Hammer Curl
    15kg - 3x5
    ---
    Seated Cable Row
    light - 1x8
    bit heavier - 1x8
    bit heavier again - 1x8
    ---
    Ab Roll-out (barbell)
    3x10
    ---

Got through the main event of Bench & Barbell Row supersets in 19 mins flat.

Enjoying the tricep overload afterwards (feet up, close grip, 3030 tempo, not fully locking up to keep load on triceps). Tris are on fire as I write this the next day - even though the weight wasn't heavy at all. Making sure I have a 1 litre of full fat milk after such powerbuilding for additional mass.

The rest was accessory pumping. Was planning 5x5 with increasing weight on chin ups but biceps in particular were gone after the rows. Threw in the ab rollouts as forgot to do them at the end of yesterdays Squats.

Rowing 80kg for 6x6 was fine. 80kg is the new 60kg.

Was looking through my log to figure out what my heaviest ever 6x3 Bench peak was. I found out that I did 106kg 6x3 on July 3rd 2016 (i.e. 1kg over what I finished Bench on last weekend). Then, later in the log around Nov 22nd 2016 I make reference to how my best was 107kg 6x3... but I cannot find in my log where I did that. I'm guessing it would have been a 6 week cycle in the couple of months after July 2916... but cannot find the specific post after trawling through with a fine toothcom. So - slightly unsure if that was a typo of if I did actually do 107kg 6x3 in the months after the 106kg 6x3 last July.

Why am I wondering? Because this Bench cycle in the coming 6 weeks is going to peak on 107kg 6x3. Maybe I'll push it to 108kg 6x3 if things are going well for the sake of an undisputed PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BossArky wrote: »
    Enjoying the tricep overload afterwards (feet up, close grip, 3030 tempo, not fully locking up to keep load on triceps).

Brandon Lilly mentioned this when he was in Dublin, ie not locking out to keep tension on triceps...but he said if you put your hand on the back of your arm just above the elbow and extend, you can feel a small part of tricep contract but only just in last part before lockout do he reckoned it made more sense to lockout and work that muscle too.

Thursday June 8th: Squat Day 2 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats, beltless)
    110kg - 3x7 ... slow
    ---
    Good Morning
    30kg - 1x10
    60kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    ---

Knackered going into this. Just wanted to get it over. Squats were slow and not helped by the messing about trying to get SBD knee sleeves on. Discovered that if they are not exactly aligned with the knee cap then the seam in the side/back don't flex very well behind the knee cap & was slightly painful as it bunched up. Used two plastic bags to get them on: one for lower leg/calf and the other for knee/quad. Got them on the quickest yet - but then had to spend 5 mins unbunching the trapped plastic bag on each leg.

Finished off with some quick Good Mornings. I'm so tight that I don't get full range of motion on these - trying to get some flexibility back into the hammies. Can feel them being stretched to the max. They are probably of equal tightness as the SBDs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    Thursday June 8th: Squat Day 2 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats, beltless)
    110kg - 3x7 ... slow
    ---

Knackered going into this. Just wanted to get it over. Squats were slow and not helped by the messing about trying to get SBD knee sleeves on.

In retrospect they don't look as bad as they felt. But god they felt terrible.

BVFHv36AYYu

You're cutting them a bit high....

Friday June 10th: Bench Day 2 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    90kg - 6x5 ... easy
    100, 110, 120kg - 1x3 ... slingshot

Barbell Row
    50kg - 6x10 (wide grip, ring finger on rings)
    ---
    Rev Fly
    0.5kg per arm - 1x10 ... standing bent over
    1kg per arm - 3x10
    0.5kg per arm - 1x10 ... face down on bench
    1kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    6kg per arm - 3x10
    ---

Some Bench, Barbell Rows & Slingshot fun. Not getting much out of the slingshot. Felt like I was actually benching 120kg raw! Must be a bit stretched/old my now.

BVHj99gAGBm

Saturday June 10th: Deadlift day 2 of 6 - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional)
    120kg + 16kg chains - 3x8
    ---
    Shoulder Press
    20kg – 1x5 ... strict press
    40kg – 1x5
    50kg – 1x5
    60kg – 1x5 .. push press
    40kg – 1x10 ... strict press
    ---
    Grip Training - Barbell Holds (Fat Gripz)
    20kg per arm
    40kg per arm
    40kg, 60kg, then 80kg both arms together (i.e. like Deadlift lockout position) - to failure
    ---
    Chin Ups (grip getting wider each set)
    3x6
    ---
    Plank (Abz)
    3 sets to failure
    ---

Deadlifts felt good. Aiming to peak this cycle with a single of 183kg for a 2kg PR.

Did a heap of grip training too, plus some Shrugs, Abs & Pull Ups.

BVKSH8TAg9s

Went and checked out a Dubai gym in the area that I had heard about as a potential Powerlifting spot. Met a few guys and they were welcoming etc. Well equipped but made me thankful that I have the equipment and space to train at home. Will keep an eye on it in case any comps pop up. No IPF here unfortunately.

Monday June 12th: Squat Day 3 of 12- Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats, beltless)
    110kg - 3x7 ... realized the next day this should have been 120kg - 3x5
    105kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    ---
    GHR
    bodyweight - 3x8 ... setting 4 from the back

Leg Press
    140kg - 1x15
    160kg - 1x15
    180kg - 1x15 ... fine
    ---
    Seated Calf Raise
    frame + 20kg - 3x12-15
    ---

Realized the day after the above that I accidentally repeated the Squat working sets from last Squats session. Should have done 120kg 3x5 instead of 110kg 3x7 for the second time.

Increased Squat drop set by 5kg for this cycle. Squats in general felt rough. Still physically hungover from last training cycle peak.

Two settings away from repping the 200kg stack on leg press.

Put GHR on a slightly tougher setting (4) and felt it more in hams.

• Advertisement

Tuesday June 14th: Bench Day 3 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Bench (paused)
    95kg - 6x4 ... finished in 15 mins superset with barbell rows below

Barbell Row
    80kg - 6x4 ... wide grip. Good
    ---
    DB Arnold Press
    5kg per arm - 1x10
    7.5kg per arm - 1x10
    10kg per arm - 1x10
    ---
    Ab Roll-out (barbell)
    3x6

Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x12 ... grip getting wider each set
    ---

Bench and Barbell Rows supersets done in 15 mins flat which I'm happy enough with considering the weight.

Used a pinky finger on rings grip for the rows which is narrower than usual bench grip (ring finger on rings). Rowing with a wider grip feels much easier than narrow. It changes the angle where the bar hits the stomach. Can feel it actually more in the lats than the usual narrow grip I often take (fingers on narrowest part of knurling just before the smooth).

Otherwise tried to keep the assistance to less volume and weight than usual to give myself a break as still feeling a bit battered from recent peak. Included the Ab rollouts as I forget them yesterday on Squat day.

Thursday June 15th: Squat Day 4 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats, beltless)
    125kg - 3x3 ... slow
    105kg - 1x12 ... dropset
    ---
    Good Morning
    40kg - 3x10
    ---

Squats still slow. In need of rest.

Friday June 16th: Bench Day 4 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    100kg - 6x3 ... fine

Pull Apart (band)
    a heap
    ---
    DB Hammer Curl
    6 or 10kg per arm cannot remember - 3x10 ... one side at a time as was too lazy to configure two adjustable DBs
    ---

100kg 6x3 on Bench and kept assistance to the bare minimum for recovery. Threw in some curls at the end for elbow health.

Saturday June 17th: Deadlift day 3 of 6 - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional)
    142kg - 1x8 ... 2kg up on last cycle
    ---
    Grip Training - Barbell Holds (Fat Gripz)
    70kg (i.e. like Deadlift lockout position) - ~30 seconds
    90kg - 0: couldn't get it more than an inch off the ground with fat gripz
    80kg - 2x~10 seconds
    70kg - ~30 seconds
    ---
    3x6 ... last set was actually pull up
    ---
    Plank (Abz)
    Timer: 5 x [15 secs on / 15 secs off]
    ---

Late night Deadlifts before hopping on a flight from Dubai to Kuwait: 142kg x8.

Was experimenting with tightness of SBD belt. Notched it one too tight and it nearly cut me in half on each rep. Thought I was gonna end up with a hole in lower right abs where the layers of leather overlap. Knees look a bit unlocked at the top - that's because of the pain boring into my abs from the belt.

Deadlifts themselves were handy. 2kg up on last cycle.

Neighbours next door were making a racket with banging tools etc so went in and told them to hush. Laughed to myself later as I realized I was probably making more noise during these sets.

BVdGEJ4AobN

Monday June 19th: Squat Day 5 of 12- Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats, belt)
    100kg - 3x9
    105kg - 1x10
    ---
    GHR
    bodyweight - 3x8 ... moving from easy to harder settings
    ---
    Leg Press
    40kg - 1x8
    80kg - 1x8
    120kg - 1x8
    160kg - 1x8
    200kg - 1x8
    ---
    Seated Calf Raise
    20kg - 3x15
    ---

Squat worksets on 100kg 3x9 were fine. First time using a belt on Squats in over 2 months. Went with a reverse drop set of 105kg for 10. Wanted 14 but didn't remember that until the 2nd rep of so and was mentally off so called it at 10.

Usual leg press had a broken cable so I used the plate loaded one instead. Worked up to 200kg for 8 reps.

Tuesday June 20th: Bench Day 5 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Bench (paused)
    85kg - 6x6 ... very easy

Barbell Row
    85kg - 6x4 ... wide grip with ring fingers on rings (i.e. exact same as bench grip). Good
    ---
    DB Arnold Press
    12.5kg per arm - 1x8
    17.5kg per arm - 1x8
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x12
    25kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x8
    ---

When Bench & Bday align.

Some early morning Benching: 6x6 sets and reps = my new age.

Feeling sprightly.

Ara you're only a young lad.

Happy Birthday!

Thursday June 22nd: Squat Day 6 of 12 - Ireland

Squat (flats, beltless)
    115kg - 3x7 ... handy
    ---
    GHR
    3x8
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (barbell)
    3x8
    ---

Back in Ireland for the first time in 4 years. Squat day 6 of 12: 115kg 3x7. Found a great place to train in Clonmel: Elevate Fitness & Performance

BVseNmIAdYj

Friday June 23rd: Bench Day 6 of 12 - Ireland

Bench (paused)
    95kg - 6x5 ... easy

Face Pull (band)
    6x5
    ---
    Push Press
    60kg - 1x5
    ---

Some handy benching. Done and dusted with the accessory within ~30 mins.

Saturday June 24th: Deadlift day 4 of 6 - Ireland

Deadlift (conventional)
    152kg - 1x6 ... 2kg up on last cycle
    ---
    GHR
    3x10

3x7 ... last set was actually pull up
    ---
    Grip Training - Barbell Holds
    20kg per arm - ~30 seconds
    40kg per arm - 3x~30 seconds
    ---

Deadlift 152.5kg x6 then rolling the back lawn for some conditioning

BVuL-4bg0mO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That's some good rollin

Monday June 26th: Squat Day 7 of 12 - Ireland

Squat (flats, belt)
    125kg - 3x5 ... handy
    100kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    ---
    GHR
    bodyweight - 3x8
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (barbell)
    3x8
    ---

Some handy Squats.

Was lifting out of some Squat stands (vs. usual rack) which made it harder to wedge under without knocking the things over at setup. Probably made them feel slightly heavier than they would have done if I had a more solid setup.

Reminds me of a time pre-comp in Perth about 4 years ago where I failed my last warm up of 130kg out of shakey Squat stands as couldn't setup tightly. Still went on to Squat ~150kg or thereabouts in the comp.

Some abs and GHR to finish off. Finished off by walking 10km around Clonmel chasing up ghosts & nostalgia of 20 years ago. Ireland in the summer is such a lovely place vs the sorching Middle East desert of Kuwait & Dubai. Enjoying the feeling of a nice bit of grass between the toes and the aroma of cow dung in the nostrils.

Probably leaning out slightly from more walking than usual. Typically in Kuwait I'd walk 5 mins from the hotel to work in 45 degrees... and then 5 mins walk after work. Last night I also went for about a 10km walk through the countryside and played a bit of football on the parents back lawn. I'm particularly impressed about how soft the Irish grass is vs. that which I've been used to in any of Melbourne/Perth/Kuwait/Dubai.

Tuesday June 27th: Bench Day 7 of 12 - Ireland

Bench (paused)
    100kg - 6x4 ... easy

Barbell Row
    80kg - 6x4
    ---
    DB Arnold Press
    12.5kg per arm - 1x10
    15kg per arm - 1x10
    17.5kg per arm - 1x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Easiest ever sets of 4 on 100kg Bench. Superset as usual with barbell row. The whole workout done in ~30 mins along with the DB Arnold Press and Curls.

Bench:
    BV1rtP9A0se

Rows:
    BV1r615Ar7O

Thursday June 29th: Squat Day 8 of 12 - Ireland

Squat (flats, beltless)
    130kg - 3x3
    100kg - 1x10 ... dropset
    ---
    GHR
    3x8
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (barbell)
    3x8
    ---

30 mins done and dusted. A bit knackered for Squats from climbing two separate local hills in the past couple of days. Finished off with abs & GHR.

BV64JB6AMC3

Friday June 30th: Bench Day 8 of 12 - Ireland

Bench (paused)
    105kg - 6x3 ... easy

Face Pull (band)
    6x8-10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x8

Standing Press
    20kg - 3x8
    ---
    Rev Fly (mini plates)
    1kg - 1x10
    1.5kg - 1x10
    2kg - 1x10
    ---

Bench felt so handy I may throw 5kg on for last 2 week wave to peak on 110kg 6x3 vs planned 108kg 6x3.

BV9qS6bAeG9

Looked graaaaand and a good pause too.

Saturday July 1st: Deadlift day 5 of 6 - Ireland

Deadlift (conventional)
    162.5kg - 1x5 ... PR by 2.5kg for a set of 5. Felt fine
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (barbell)
    3x5
    ---
    GHR
    3x5
    ---
    RDL (KBs)
    8kg - 3x5-10
    ---

Deadlift 162.5kg for a PR on 5 reps before hitting the high road for the airport desert bound. Did some touristy stuff in Dublin whilst killing time before flight. Enjoyed the past 1.5 weeks training. Good spot.

BWBCzslAQUM

Deadlifts looked very smooth.

Legit took mental notes.

Monday July 3rd: Squat Day 9 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats, belt)
    105kg - 3x9
    100kg - 1x10 ... drop set
    ---
    GHR
    bodyweight - 3x10
    ---

Some handy Squats and GHR. Back in Kuwait.

Leg Press was out of order so took that as a hint from the Universe to cut back the accessory volume. Left side erectors feeling DOMS'd from Deadlifts on Saturday. Recovery is key as I'm now into the final 2 weeks of this cycle.

• Advertisement

Tuesday July 4th: Bench Day 9 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI) - 6am

Bench (paused)
    90kg - 6x6 ... easy

Barbell Row
    80kg - 6x4
    ---
    DB Arnold Press
    12.5kg per arm - 1x10
    17.5kg per arm - 1x10
    20kg per arm - 1x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x12
    30kg - 1x10
    35kg - 1x8
    ---
    Rev Fly
    1kg - 3x15
    ---

Bench day 9 or 12: 90kg 6x6 superset with barbell rows. Went fully independent at 6am to celebrate July 4th: no safeties, no spotter, no problem. This next two weeks will peak in either PR or ER.

Advertisement