Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Here's the best quick summary of underhand vs overhand barbell rowing I found after trawling through a number of sites:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/3pmssf/barbell_rows_overhand_vs_underhand_grip/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Will have a goo at home. Can't access reddit here.

Was interesting listening to Yates talk to Joe Rogan and how he saw training as a project, much like a sculptor would. Gave the impression that it was almost like an out-of-body experience insofar as it was a body he was sculpting and not his body.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday August 3rd: Squat Day 4 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats)
    144kg - 1x1
    130kg - 3x3
    ---
    Ab Roll Out
    3x6
    ---

Top single on 144kg before the actual worksets of 130kg 3x3. Probably the easiest I've hit 140kg+. Pretty fatigued so that's good.

BossArky wrote: »
    Top single on 144kg before the actual worksets of 130kg 3x3. Probably the easiest I've hit 140kg+.

Definitely a lot smoother and easier than the 141 anyway. Looking at a 142.5 from what must have been your last comp, the 144 looks easier and is way deeper.

Friday August 4th: Bench Day 4 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    102kg - 6x3 ... work sets
    **add slingshot**
    110kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x3 ... PR

Face Pull (band)
    6x10
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Bench worksets on 102kg 6x3 were fine.

Wanted to do some slingshot for the first time in a while. Ended up hitting a substantial PR: 130kg x3. Previous best was 127.5kg x1.

• Advertisement

Saturday August 5th: Deadlift day 4 of ? - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional, beltless)
    70kg - 1x5 ... double overhand
    120kg - 1x3
    140kg + 16kg chains - 3x8 ... mixed grip
    75kg - 2x12 ... fat gripz drop set
    ---
    Barbell Press (behind the neck)
    30kg - 3x8
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise (barbell)
    3x5
    ---

Deadlift 3x8 on 140kg +16kg chains. Handy enough. Annoyingly I realized afterwards that on autopilot I forgot to add the 2.5kg per side to make it 145kg as per plan.

Monday August 7th: Squat Day 5 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats)
    145kg - 1x1 ... easy
    110kg - 3x9 ... easy
    ---
    GHR
    3x12 ... first set = no weight. Second = 5kg behind head. Third set = 10kg behind head
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (barbell)
    3x8
    ---

Quite pleased with how easy the 145kg Squat single was. Dropsets after on 110kg 3x9 were a piece of cake too. Some random arabs started spotting me as they wanted to Deadlift in the rack - lol.

Killed it on the GHR too with additional weight. 10kg seems to go straight to my hamstrings when behind the head.. much more so than 0 or 5kg which I don't feel at all in hambos.

Finished with some ab roll outs for the sake of creating an obstacle course for everyone else in the gym.

Tuesday August 8th: Bench - Kuwait (@HI)

Bench (paused)
    87.5kg - 6x6 ... fine
    60kg - 1x8 ... closegrip and 3030 tempo

Barbell Row
    80kg - 6x6 ... first three: standard grip double overhand, second three: underhand
    ---
    Chins Ups
    bodyweight - 1x10
    ---
    Arnold Press (standing)
    15kg per arm - 1x10
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    25kg per arm - 1x6
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    ---

Some quick lunch time Bench & accessory. Drank a litre of full fat milk during it.

Thursday August 10th: Squat Day 6 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats)
    146kg - 1x1 ... alrighty
    120kg - 3x7
    ---
    Front Squat (starting out on rings and bringing grip in each set to end on knurling)
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5 ... fine
    ---
    Plank
    2:30 of 15 secs on/off
    ---

These Thursday Squat sessions at home always feel harder than the Monday ones in the hotel. I guess its because without an audience you loose that +10% hero factor.

That Squat single of 146kg is the heaviest I've went since I Squatted 160kg in competition in June 2015. Holy moly.... heaviest in 26 months?! What the hell have I been doing for the past 2 years and 2 months?! Weird... my training has gotten so sidetracked with moving all over the place. I honestly didn't realize it had been that long since I'd went that heavy.

Turns out I got 145kg in comp (Oct 2015) 4 months after the 160kg above (June 2015)... but then failed 150kg on 2nd and 3rd attempts in Oct 2015.

I did Squat 145kg for a single earlier this year in Dubai, before failing on the second rep.

... so todays 146kg gives me a 2 year high in terms of Squatting at the moment.

I actually feel that I'm at an all time high strengthwise on everything. However it is easy to say that. Need to keep adding weight to these singles and see where I get.

TL;DR = Wow, where did the past 2 years go?

Why only pushing the top single by 1kg a time when there's a fair bit more in the tank?

Moving smoothly. 147.5 the next day! Then 150!

Excelsior!

• Advertisement

Why only pushing the top single by 1kg a time when there's a fair bit more in the tank?

Moving smoothly. 147.5 the next day! Then 150!

Excelsior!

Firstly: just wanna keep making incremental progress. Adding 1kg or 1.5kg is nothing when the last session went well & is thus good for confident.

Secondly: at home I have fractional plates that go up in 1/2/3/4/5kg... not 1.25kg. At hotel gym I can do the standard increments... hence another reason for the often strange increments.

Friday August 11th: Bench Day 6 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    97kg - 6x5 ... easy
    ---
    Chin Up (neutral grip)
    6x5
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10 ... second and third set with armblaster
    ---

Treated myself to a home gym shopping spree today at Dubai Mall: ab wheel, lifting straps and the doorway chin up bar seen in this video. Speeds things up instead of having to jack the rack up post bench to do the chins as I had been doing in the past.

Main event today was Bench 97kg 6x5 superset with Chin Up 6x5. Finished off with some armblaster for the laugh. Some head on me.

Saturday August 12th: Deadlift day 5 of ? - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional)
    120kg - 1x3
    **add belt**
    140kg - 1x2 ... mixed grip
    155kg - 2x6 ... PR for a set of 6 by 2.5kg over what I did in Ireland 2 months ago
    80kg - x12f, x6f ... fat gripz drop set
    70kg - x11f ... fat gripz drop set
    ---
    Barbell Row (with straps)
    100kg - 3x5 ... which is a PR if you forget I uses straps
    ---
    30kg - 3x10 ... two reps per set up on previous weeks
    ---
    Standing Ab Roll Out (my new Ab Wheel) ... to the wall to limit ROM to about 2/3
    3x6
    ---

Some enjoyable stuff. Deadlifts is a PR for 6s on 155kg. Barbell row was a PR if you forget about the straps.

Used the wall to limit ROM on the Ab Wheel Roll Out as did it standing for the first time. Got about 2/3 ROM for the sake of getting used to it.

I'd never have an asterisk beside a row PR because I'd used straps. They always go on if I think grip is going to be a limiting factor

Monday August 14th: Squat Day 7 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats)
    147.5kg - 1x1 ... no problem
    130kg - 3x5 ... beautiful
    ---
    GHR
    3x12 ... first set = no weight. Second = 5kg behind head. Third set = 10kg behind head
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (barbell)
    3x10
    ---

Trained at lunchtime. Top Squat single 147.5kg feeling fine. Drop sets 130kg 3x5 third set shown. Possibly my most beautiful set of Squats ever. Felt like nothing.

Finished off with GHR and Abs. Possibly the first time I've done 3x10 on ab roll outs too.

Tuesday August 15th: Bench - Kuwait (@HI)

Bench (paused)
    102.5kg - 6x4 ... a bit awkward as headrest broken off bench but pressed them fine
    60kg - 1x10 ... closegrip and 3030 tempo

Barbell Row
    80kg - 6x5 ... fine, double overhand
    60kg - 1x10 ... underhand
    ---
    Arnold Press (standing)
    15kg per arm - 1x10
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    25kg per arm - 1x6
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    ---

Trained at lunchtime as got some work meetings later in the evening.

Thursday August 17th: Squat Day 8 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats)
    149kg - 1x1 ... good
    140kg - 3x3 ... handy enough
    ---
    Front Squat
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5 ... fine
    ---
    Standing Ab Roll Out ... to the wall to limit ROM to about 3/4 ... i.e. slightly more than last time
    3x6
    ---

Pretty happy with the Squats. Top Single on 149kg felt fine and then the drop set 3x3 worksets were handy enough.

Some Front Squats and Standing Ab Wheel Roll-outs for accessory.

Going swimming now. Have been swimming about 4 days a week for the past month, often twice a day... once in morning and once in evening as it is roasting here. Helps with recovery and getting some blood flowing.

149 looked fine.

You can have that lyric for free.

Moved well though for ~93%

Friday August 18th: Bench Day 8 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    107kg - 6x3 ... fine but elbows achey from recent Squats
    ---
    Chin Up (neutral grip)
    6x5
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    ---

Getting the bench done in anticipation of the final wave for the next two weeks. Elbows sore from recent Squats. The weight itself felt fine on the Bench worksets.

Saturday August 19th: Deadlift day 6 of ? - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional)
    120kg - 1x3
    **add belt**
    145kg - 1x2 ... mixed grip
    165kg - 2x5 ... PR for a set of 5 by 2.5kg over what I did in Ireland 2 months ago
    90kg - x3f ... fat gripz drop sets from here down
    80kg - x12
    70kg - x12
    ---
    100kg - 3x5 ... SBD belt on backwards to avoid lever. Worked well
    ---
    30kg - 3x10 ... two reps per set up on previous weeks
    ---
    Plank ... 2:30 ... 15 secs on/off
    ---

Pretty happy with the Deadlifts. 165kg 2x5 felt like a piece of cake for a 5 rep PR.

Enjoyed the fatgripz drop sets too and the 100kg 3x5 rows. Put the SBD belt on backwards for the rows as last week I found the bar hit the lever slightly. I love this belt. Works perfectly and feels fine even backwards!

Interesting to see how the heavy fat gripz deadlifts failed on third rep of 90kg... but then managed to get the full 12 on 80kg and 70kg as grip was primed for action. Love using these fat gripz too!

Good session.

• Advertisement

Monday August 21st: Squat Day 9 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats)
    150kg - 1x1 ... fine
    120kg - 2x9 ... good
    ---
    GHR
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (barbell, knees)
    3x10
    ---

Totally knackered going into this. Haven't slept properly in 2 days since the heavy Deads on Saturday. Was down in Abu Dhabi for 24 hours, then back to Dubai, then flew to Kuwait... so travelling all over the place and diet/recovery not on point. The mission today was to hit the top single and dropsets in survival mode.

Turned out quite successful actually. Top single on 150kg moved "ok" - I'll give myself some credit as was totally wrecked. The dropsets 120kg 2x9 handy enough. That is a PR for sets of 9.

Reducing the volume on worksets from 3 to 2 as this is the final 2 week wave and I wanna attempt a more eloquent peak. Love the feeling of unracking this wondering to yourself what will happen if legs give out with no spotter or safeties. Kinda like that rush you feel as you are nearing the top of rollercoaster climb & you're hoping everything stays on the rails on the other side.

GHR and Abs were the usual accessory.

BossArky wrote: »
    Top single on 150kg moved "ok" - I'll give myself some credit as was totally wrecked.

I'd have said that was better than just ok, all things considered. Didn't really slow, kept shape nicely.

Tuesday August 22nd: Bench - Kuwait (@HI)

Bench (paused)
    92.5kg - 6x6 ... fine
    60kg - 1x10 ... closegrip and 3030 tempo

Barbell Row
    60kg - 6x8 ... varying grips every 2 sets: double over moderate width 1 & 2, double over wide 3 & 4, double overhand moderate width 5 & 6
    ---
    Arnold Press (standing)
    12.5kg per arm - 1x10
    15kg per arm - 1x8
    17.5kg per arm - 1x6
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    ---
    Pec Stretch & Rev Fly SuperSet
    3x12 holding 1.25kg per arm
    ---

Lunchtime Bench and accessory. The next 3 bench sessions are where the cycle peaks so every bench session from here on in is gonna be a PR for 5, 4 and 3 reps respectively.

Thursday August 24th: Squat Day 10 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats)
    151kg - 1x1 ... good
    130kg - 2x7 ... PR ... handy enough
    ---
    Standing Ab Roll Out ... to the wall to limit ROM to about 3/4 ... i.e. slightly more than last time
    2x5
    ---

Squats were good. 151kg top single. Checking back through my log this happens to be my 5th heaviest Squat of all time & heaviest outside of competition. Not bad for pyjamas & troll hair day.

The 130kg 2x7 dropsets happened to be a PR for sets of 7.

The Ab Roll Out was tough. Kinda face planted in the middle of the 1st set. Kept it to just 2 sets for the sake of recovery to cope with the heavy days to come.

Friday August 25th: Bench Day 10 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    102kg - 6x5 ... PR for a set of 5
    ---
    Chin Up (neutral grip)
    6x5
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    ---

Bench 102kg 6x5 tri-set with Chin Ups & Wheel of Time book 7. This benching is a PR for 5 reps & up 2kg on last cycle 6 weeks ago.

Took 57 mins for the 6 sets which is slightly slower pace than normal. Focusing on recovery & ending the cycle successfully with just 2 more bench sessions to go: next Monday & Thursday

Saturday August 26th: Deadlift day 7 of 7 - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional)
    120kg - 1x3
    **add belt**
    150kg - 1x2 ... mixed grip
    173kg - 2x3 ... PR for a set of 3 by 3kg over last cycle 6 weeks ago
    95kg - xf & then x1 ... fat gripz drop sets from here down
    90kg - x3
    80kg - x8
    70kg - x8
    ---
    100kg - 3x5 ... SBD belt on backwards
    ---
    30kg - 3x6... taking it easier for recover by just doing reps of 6 vs. the usual 10
    ---
    Plank ... 2:30 ... 15 secs on/off
    ---

Deadlift 173kg 2x3. PR for 3 reps & up 3kg on last cycle 6 weeks ago. Felt alrighty.

Packed on a bit of chub from all the milk I've been drinking the past 3 months but worth it for the gains which are coming thick & fast.

Monday August 28th: Squat Day 11 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    **add belt & wrist wraps**
    130kg - 1x2
    152.5kg - 1x1 ... fine
    140kg - 2x5 ... PR for 5 reps. Solid. Best from the past was triples on this weight
    ---
    GHR
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (barbell, knees)
    3x6 ... keeping the reps low for the sake of recovery
    ---

Today's top Squat single of 152.5kg felt alright considering I crawled out of bed wrecked with Deadlift DOMS reaching its zenith from 2 days ago.

Dropsets were 140kg 2x5 which is a PR at that weight by 2 reps. I liked the look of these. Felt solid.

Tuesday August 29th: Bench - Kuwait (@HI)

Bench (paused)
    107.5kg - 6x4 ... PR for 4 reps & handy enough

Barbell Row
    60kg - 6x8 ... ring finger on rings
    ---
    Arnold Press (standing)
    7.5kg per arm - 1x12
    15kg per arm - 1x10
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    ---
    Pec Stretch & Rev Fly SuperSet
    3x15 & holding 1kg per arm
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    32.5kg - 1x8
    42.5kg - 1x6
    ---

Bench 107.5kg 6x4 for a 2.5kg PR at 4 reps. 34 mins total including barbell row supersets. Handy enough.

Its funny how you can toil for literally years to put 2.5kg on your bench and then suddenly this cycle and last cycle gains are popping up like mushrooms and PRs are falling out of the sky like North Korean missiles.

Powered through the assistance. Increased curl weight slightly on last rep but reduced reps as it's the last week and shouldn't be killing myself. Just trying to give the guns a taster of what is to come next cycle.

Thursday August 31th: Squat Day 12 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats)
    70kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x1
    154kg - 1x1 ... good
    150kg - 1x5 ... PR by 10kg over what I did 3 days ago & surprisingly easy. Only planned 3 reps and felt so good I kept going
    ---

Final Squat day of this 6 week cycle. Peaked with a single on 154kg which happens to be my 4th heaviest Squat ever & best ever outside competition. However this was over shadowed with the dropset of 150kg x5 which followed. Made some serious Squat gains in the past few months. The heavy single up front works wonders for confidence & familiarity with higher weighs before getting in the worksets after.

The dropset 150kg x5 was a 10kg PR on what I did 3 days ago. Lol. Possibility my greatest powerlifting achievement to date. Was only planning 3 reps but felt handy enough so kept going. Was gonna go for a 6th rep but decided to quit whilst I was ahead and live to fight another day.

• Advertisement

Friday September 1st: Bench Day 12 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    113kg - 6x3 ... PR by 3kg for 6x3 on what I did 6 weeks ago and also 0.5kg over my best ever competition 1RM

Chin Up (neutral grip)
    6x3
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Pretty sensational 6 week cycle concluded today with Bench 113kg 6x3 PR superset with Chins 6x3.

That 6x3 benching is a 3kg PR on last cycle 6 weeks ago and 0.5kg above my best ever competition 1 rep max. The program today only called for 112kg but I went #YOLO with 113kg to chip the comp 1RM because I knew it was there.

I knew going into this that I was going to get it done. The weight itself felt fine, slighty bit of elbow pain from yesterdays Squats. Good times. Now for the deload.

Just realized that I totaled 440kg based upon the peak training numbers for reps in this cycle which is 2.5kg under my best comp total.
    - Squat 154kg x1 / 150kg x5
    - Bench 113kg 6x3
    - Deadlift 173kg 2x3

Probably good for something like SQ 170 / BP 120 / DL 180 at the moment for 470kg total if I went for singles.

Advertisement