Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Some serious progress this past while, chief. Kudos.

What's the plan now? Mew cycle and then test or would you test and base the next cycle off new numbers?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Some serious progress this past while, chief. Kudos.

What's the plan now? Mew cycle and then test or would you test and base the next cycle off new numbers?

Thank you! Pretty happy alright.

The plan now:
    - deload for 1 week with minimal Squat and Bench to let the niggles recover
    - restart the usual 6 week cycle from Monday next week for Squat and Bench
    - started Deadlift cycle today because it gives me an extra week of Deadlift so I have 7 vs 6 weeks at the end of the cycle. First day is only about getting some light weights moving and dosen't hamper the SQ/BP deload week

I don't bother testing singles for the sake of it. It would just mean having to deload this week, do singles next weekend, then take another half or full week deload before starting a cycle. Wastes an additional week vs. just taking the deload now and going straight into a new cycle.

Similar to the cycle which just finished I'll throw in a heavy Squat single every day before the actual worksets. That will be exciting to see how it goes over the 12 sessions (6 weeks of Squatting twice a week).

I like this format: 6 weeks on / 1 deload... rinse, repeat... You are never too far away from heavy work and I find it ebbs and flows nicely for me over 3x2 week waves with every wave getting heavier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Saturday Sept 3rd: Deadlift day 1 of 7 - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional, beltless)
    70kg - 1x5 ... double overhand
    110kg - 1x3
    110kg +16kg chains - 3x8 ... easy
    70kg - 5x5 ... fat gripz

Barbell Press (behind the neck)
    35kg - 3x8... fine
    ---
    Barbell Row (with straps)
    100kg - 3x5 ... no belt. Felt alright
    ---
    Plank ... 2:30 ... 15 secs on/off
    ---

New Deadlift cycle. Starting up 5kg on last cycle.

Note to self: need to make sure the chains are properly secured and evenly distributed. On one set they worked themselves loose on one side as I didn't bother with clips. On another set they were bunched up on one side and thus not loading evenly. Fixed it up for the final set.

Changed the approach with fat gripz. More sets vs more reps for variety. Will see how the forearms feel tomorrow.

First timing Barbell Rowing 100kg 3x5 beltless. Felt alright.

Some BTN press and abs too.

Tuesday September 5th: Deload 1 of 2 - Dubai (@home)

Front Squat (flats)
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x2
    60kg - 1x3
    40kg - 1x5
    ---
    Floor Press
    60kg - 3x5 ... starting narrow grip and getting wider each set
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (Ab Wheel, Knees)
    3x5
    ---

Keeping moving. Body feeling sleepy and wrecked the past few days after recent peak so this felt good.

Thursday September 7th: Deload 2 of 2 - Dubai (@home)

Front Squat (flats)
    20kg - 1x6
    30kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x6
    ---
    Lunge
    20kg per leg - 1x10
    30kg per leg - 1x8
    40kg per leg - 1x6
    ---
    Overhead Squat band & 1kg per side
    3x10
    ---
    Overhead Squat
    20kg - 3x5

Press Up
    3x12

Pull Up (palms away)
    3x3
    ---

Front Squats and Lunges as part of a nice light deload.

Did the Overhead Squats (with weight), Press Ups & Pull Ups as a giant tri-set.

Before progressing to the bar for Overhead Squats I experimented with 3x12 using just a band overhead & a 1kg mini plate secured on each side. The flexibility of the band was good for getting a feel of the movement. When I added the 20kg bar overhead it gave a nice stretch through the pecs.

• Advertisement

Saturday Sept 9th: Deadlift day 2 of 7 - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional, beltless)
    120kg - 1x3
    130kg +16kg chains - 3x8 ... mixed grip. Alright
    80kg - 3x5 ... fat gripz

40kg - 3x8... fine
    ---
    Barbell Row (with straps, no belt)
    100kg - 3x5 ... first two sets a bit sloppy. Third set more strict & felt better

Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x5
    ---

Some Deadlifts and accessory. Was planning to do the 130kg +16kg chains 3x8 doubleoverhand but after the first rep I felt wrecked and grip wasn't solid, so reverted to mixed. Have heard a few times that grip is a good indicator of general CNS fatigue & confirms my feeling of being fried the past while. Just coming out of the last cycle peak hangover I guess.

Been doing a lot of treading water for the past week: at least 15 mins twice a day for the past 10 days. Sounds like nothing, but is actually a great cardio workout. Heart starts thumping like you're on a moderate run and you're huffing and puffing fit to blow the house down. Zero impact for joints too.

My hamstrings are in bits with DOMS the past week and I wasn't sure where this was coming from. After careful analysis I think it is the treading water. Not what I would have expected. Really knackered deadlifting today which I'll put down to the extra cardio mentioned above. Did a few burpees and broad jumps outside in the garden after before hitting the pool for more treading.

The gloves are off from Monday: back to the grind for SQ/BP and let's see where the next 6 weeks takes us. Have it all mapped out on an IKEA picture frame on the gym wall. Pro-tip: The IKEA picture frame, with plastic picture protector cover, makes a great whiteboard for any gym wall. Erasable markers work well on them.

Monday September 11th: Squat Day 1 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats)
    70kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    **add belt & wrist wraps**
    130kg - 1x2
    150kg - 1x1
    105kg - 3x9
    ---
    RDL (staps)
    80kg - 3x12
    ---
    Ab Roll Out (barbell, knees)
    3x6
    ---

New cycle. Squat day 1 of 12. Top single on 150kg to get the party started.

Dropset 105kg 3x9 last set. Finished up with RDL and Ab Wheel.

Trained at Home in Dubai (vs usual Monday Squat training in Kuwait) so subbed in RDL with straps instead of GHR.

Tuesday Sept 12th: Bench Day 1 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Bench (paused)
    85kg - 6x6

Barbell Row
    60kg - 6x10 ... ring finger on rings
    ---
    Arnold Press (standing)
    10kg per arm - 1x12
    15kg per arm - 1x10
    20kg per arm - 1x8
    ---
    Pec Stretch & Rev Fly SuperSet
    3x12 & holding 2.5kg per arm
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x11
    ---

First day of new bench cycle. Got it done in the middle of busy workday.

Thursday August 28th: Squat Day 2 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats)
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x2
    152.5kg - 1x1 ... top single
    115kg - 3x7 ... worksets
    ---
    GHR
    3x10 - bodyweight
    ---
    x6, x8, x10
    ---
    Leg Press
    100kg - 1x15
    120kg - 1x15
    140kg - 1x15

Hip Adduction
    15kg - 1x20
    20kg - 1x20
    25kg - 1x20
    ---

Squat 152.5kg top single (vs planned 151kg, no fractionals) as was still in Kuwait. Fine. Dropped down to 115kg for the dropsets.

Finished off with GHR, Leg Press and Hip Adduction to stretch out hips which are particularly tight especially on the left.

Friday September 16th: Bench Day 2 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    95kg - 6x5

Chin Up (neutral grip)
    6x5
    ---
    DB Curl
    6kg - 3x20

Lateral/Front Raise
    6kg - 3x10
    ---

Benching.

• Advertisement

Saturday Sept 16th: Deadlift day 3 of 7 - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional)
    120kg - 1x3
    **add belt**
    140kg +16kg chains - 3x8 ... mixed grip.
    90kg - 3x5 ... fat gripz

40kg - 3x8... fine
    ---
    100kg - 3x6

Ab Wheel (knees)
    x6, x8, x10
    ---

Deadlifting. Sore two days later after the above. Getting some good work in on my back/upper back these days with all of the above.

Had to take about 10 attempts to get the final rep of the fat gripz 90kg 3x5. Kept dropping it but finally go it - YES! lol

Monday September 18th: Squat Day 3 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats)
    70kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x2
    155kg - 1x1 ... top single
    125kg - 3x5 ... drop sets
    ---
    RDL (straps)
    90kg - 3x12
    ---
    3x6
    ---

Squat day 3 of 12. Top single of 155kg. Alrighty. Heaviest Squat in a couple of years.

... and the dropsets: 125kg 3x5

Added 10kg to the RDls and then finished up with Ab Wheel.

You'll pass your old PR with an 'alrighty'!

Tuesday Sept 20th: Bench Day 3 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    100kg - 6x4

Chin Up
    bodyweight - 6x5
    ---
    Arnold Press (standing)
    6kg per arm - 3x12
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    30kg - 3x10
    ---

Bench and Chin Up supersets complete in 18 mins for the 54 reps which equals 3 reps per min. Good pace. #crossfit.

Thursday Sept 21st: Squat Day 4 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats)
    20kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    105kg - 1x3
    135kg - 1x2
    157kg - 1x1 ... top single
    135kg - 3x3 ... worksets
    ---
    Ab Wheel (knees)
    x6, x8, x10
    ---

Squat day 4 of 12.

Top single of 157kg. Didn't sleep well so today was about getting through it and focusing on recovery for next time.

Drop sets 135kg 3x3. These moved better than the top single. Got a better bar position. Felt slow at the time but looking back they were ok.

Friday September 22nd: Bench Day 4 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    105kg - 6x3

Chin Up (neutral grip)
    6x5
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    6kg - 3x20
    ---
    Pec Stretch & Rev Fly SuperSet
    3x10 & holding 1kg per arm
    ---

Right elbow achey from Squat.

Got through the Bench and Chin supersets in about 21 mins.

Saturday Sept 23rd: Deadlift day 4 of 7 - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional)
    **add belt & mixed grip from here**
    120kg - 1x3
    140kg - 1x2
    150kg +16kg chains - 1x8 ... PR for 8 reps & mixed grip.
    80kg - 2x6 ... fat gripz

40kg - 2x8... fine
    ---
    80kg - 1x10
    ---
    Plank
    2x30 secs
    ---

Was gonna call it quits after warming up Deads on 70kg x5. Lower left back/SI joint a bit tight today. Warmed up ok so kept going. Cut the worksets to just 1x8 instead of 3x8 on 150kg + 16kg chains. Its a PR anyway, so who cares. Need to recover better and drop some accessory volume going forwards (e.g. high rep RDLs on Squat day).

Kept the accessory to just 1 or 2 sets. Barbell Rows didn't feel right at all so I called if after a set.

Monday September 25th: Squat Day 5 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats)
    70kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x2
    140kg - 1x1
    159kg - 1x1 ... top single
    115kg - 3x9 ... drop sets
    ---
    x6, x8, x10
    ---
    Band Hamstrings (lying)
    4x10
    ---

That 159kg single is my 2nd heaviest Squat ever - 1kg under my all time max. No big deal.

Drop sets on 115kg 3x9 felt heavier than they should for the first couple of sets. Took a tighter grip on the bar for the final one and it moved much quicker. Doing these dropsets after a pretty heavy single were harder than expected.

Tuesday Sept 26th: Bench Day 5 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    90kg - 6x6

Barbell Row
    60kg - 6x8
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 3x10
    ---

Bench felt really light. Enjoyed Barbell Rows again. Done in approx 30 mins for the bench/rows supersets. Took it handy.

Thursday Sept 28th: Squat Day 6 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats)
    20kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    125kg - 1x2
    145kg - 1x2
    161kg - 1x1 ... top single & a PR
    125kg - 3x7 ... worksets
    ---
    Ab Wheel (knees)
    x6, x8, x10
    ---

Squat day 6 of 12: top single on 161kg for a PR. That was 2.5 years in the making since I squat 160kg in competition back in Melbourne March 2015.

.. and the drop sets: 125kg 3x7. Most painful thing of this session was palms of my hands on the Eleiko knurling. Usually I get some respite in Kuwait on hotel smooth bars... but have been in Dubai the past couple of weeks getting only Eleiko in the palm 5 days a week

• Advertisement

Friday September 29th: Bench Day 6 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    100kg - 6x5

Chin Up (neutral grip)
    6x5
    ---
    D Curl
    6kg per arm - 3x20
    ---
    Pec Stretch & Lateral Raise SuperSet
    3x10 & holding 1kg per arm
    ---

Benching. Weight was fine. Elbows/Shoulders a bit achy from Squats yesterday.

Saturday Sept 30th: Deadlift day 5 of 7 - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional)
    **add belt & mixed grip from here**
    120kg - 1x3
    140kg - 1x2 ... mixed grip
    160kg - 2x6 ... 5kg PR for 6
    80kg - 2x6 ... fat gripz

40kg - 2x8
    ---
    Barbell Row (which turned into Shrugs as lower back fried, with straps, no belt)
    100kg - 2x10
    ---
    Ab Wheel (knees)
    2x8
    ---

Some good Deadlifting.

Monday October 2nd: Squat Day 7 of 12 - Kuwait (@HI)

Squat (flats)
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    125kg - 1x2
    145kg - 1x1
    162.5kg - 1x1 ... top single & PR
    135kg - 3x5 ... drop sets
    ---
    GHR
    3x12

3x6
    ---

Top single on 162.5kg for a PR. No spotter, no safety, no problem. #saveyourself.

Warmed up to 125kg inside the rack, but kept hitting the safetys (as expected from past experiences) so stepped out for the last warm up (145kg) and top single (162.5kg). Looking at the video the 162.5kg was fine. Quite happy.

Drop sets on 135kg 3x5 before finishing off with some GHR and Ab Wheel accessory.

Tuesday Oct 3rd: Bench Day 7 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    105kg - 6x4

Barbell Row
    60kg - 6x8
    ---
    DB Press (standing)
    7.5kg per arm - 1x12
    12.5kg per arm - 1x10
    15kg per arm - 1x8

DB Curl
    7.5kg per arm - 1x12
    12.5kg per arm - 1x10
    15kg per arm - 1x8
    ---
    Seated Unilateral Cable Row (with high elbows)
    30kg? - 3x15
    ---

Bench for breakfast from 6:45am to 8am. Day 7 of 12: 105kg 6x4.

Right elbow sore due to cumulative volume. Got through it alright. Weight not an issue.

Thursday Oct 5th: Squat Day 8 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Squat (flats)
    20kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    110kg - 1x3
    132kg - 1x2
    150kg - 1x1
    165kg - 1x1 ... top single & a PR
    145kg - 3x3 ... worksets
    ---
    Plank
    2:30 of 15 secs on/off
    ---

PR single on 165kg. Felt alright.

Pretty achy through the elbows/shoulders for the dropsets so took about 15 mins between each set. Was pretty cooled down for the final one. All adrenaline gone and it was scraping the bottom of the barrel to unrack it and finish it off, but it was fine in the end. Knurling killing my palms again.

How high do you think you can go in the short term, based on how that felt?

Out of interest, does it look better than it felt?

How high do you think you can go in the short term, based on how that felt?

We'll find out in the next 4 sessions as this cycle concludes in the coming 2 weeks!
    Out of interest, does it look better than it felt?

The 165kg last night felt easier than the 162.5kg a few days beforehand. During it I felt like I was getting into a weird position, but looking back at the video it wasn't too bad. Felt really calm before attempting the 165kg. Had 100% confidence that I'd get it.

Friday October 6th: Bench Day 8 of 12 - Dubai (@home)

Bench (paused)
    110kg - 6x3 ... accidental PR on the 4th set where I was lost in thought on work problems and bust out 4 reps instead of 3.

Barbell Row
    40kg - 7x10
    ---
    DB Curl
    6kg per arm - 4x10 ... 2 sets before all the benching, 2 sets after
    ---
    Pec Stretch & Lateral Raise SuperSet
    2x10 & holding 1kg per arm
    ---

Needed to cram the benching in early morning as gonna be busy potentially for the next day or so. Didn't wanna have to try and cram both Bench and Deadlift in on one day tomorrow.

The weight of 110kg 6x3 feels fine, but I'm really achy through the elbows which makes me feel uncomfy.

Think I got an accidental PR on the 4th set where I was lost in though on work problems and accidentally busy out 4 reps instead of 3.

A tough 24 hours in the gym (Squat last night, Bench this morning) but got it done and that is all that matters.

BossArky wrote: »
    The 165kg last night felt easier than the 162.5kg a few days beforehand. During it I felt like I was getting into a weird position, but looking back at the video it wasn't too bad. Felt really calm before attempting the 165kg. Had 100% confidence that I'd get it.

I just ask cos both my 2nd and 3rd lifts at the last comp felt slow but looked grand watching back so was wondering if that was just me that felt like that! :)

• Advertisement

Saturday Oct 7th: Deadlift day 6 of 7 - Dubai (@home)

Deadlift (conventional)
    120kg - 1x3
    150kg - 1x2 ... add belt & mixed grip
    170kg - 2x5 ... PR by 5kg for 5s
    90kg - 1x4 or 5 ... fat gripz from here down & stop/start on this set as kept loosing grip
    70kg - 2x6

40kg - 2x8
    ---
    100kg - 1x6
    ---
    Ab Wheel (knees)
    3x8
    ---

Deadlift 170kg 2x5 for a 5kg PR. Felt good.

Advertisement