Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caramel Vodka?

• 31-03-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

Had some delcious Caramel Vodka in Zermatt last week. Anyone know how to make it? Apparently you lob in some sweets, but which ones? It didn't appear to be colored at all, so it was not like dropping in a load of werthers originals i think.
    Cheers
    K
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

As far as I know, you stick a packet of Werthers Original into a bottle of vodka and shake it periodically over a few days until they're all dissolved.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's on my to-do list, along with skittles+vodka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get top quality essences at www.partyman.se

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

As far as I know, you stick a packet of Werthers Original into a bottle of vodka and shake it periodically over a few days until they're all dissolved.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's on my to-do list, along with skittles+vodka

Nope this is NOT the way to do it :)
    I got a half nagon of vodka, added 2 werthers originals and have something that resembles dysentry in a bottle, and not even a hint of a smell of caramel off the bloody thing. thank god I didn't do it with the full bottle!!!!

Essense it must be methinks. unless I make some caramel from sugar and water... now there's a sticky mess waiting to happen!

kenmc wrote:
    Nope this is NOT the way to do it :)
    I got a half nagon of vodka, added 2 werthers originals and have something that resembles dysentry in a bottle, and not even a hint of a smell of caramel off the bloody thing. thank god I didn't do it with the full bottle!!!!

Essense it must be methinks. unless I make some caramel from sugar and water... now there's a sticky mess waiting to happen!
    Did you taste it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

rubadub wrote:
    You can get top quality essences at www.partyman.se

I'm sorry but has anyone else read the descriptions of these essences? They're hilarious! "Irish Whiskey essence" ... just add sachet to vodka, "French Cognac" .. just add sachet to vodka. They even have a bombay gin essence that looks way too similar to Bombay Saphire and it goes on with a Jagermeister esque one etc. There's even an essence that looks strangely like absolut vodka where you have to add the Swedish Vodka essence to vodka. Heh heh, I hope I've picked it all up wrong, but are they suggesting essence+vodka = real drink ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

http://www.teisseire.com/special_barman.htm -- with the first one on the list

Did you taste it at all?
    Not yet. was hoping that it would clear and smell like caramel, like the stuff i drank before did. maybe tonight. smells just like vodka though, so not too hopeful.

kenmc wrote:
    Not yet. was hoping that it would clear and smell like caramel, like the stuff i drank before did. maybe tonight. smells just like vodka though, so not too hopeful.
    From what i've read, it's not supposed to clear, just to remain sort of baileys-like, just a bit browner, get back to us when you try it, I hear it's supposed to be amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm sorry but has anyone else read the descriptions of these essences? They're hilarious! "Irish Whiskey essence" ... just add sachet to vodka, "French Cognac" .. just add sachet to vodka. They even have a bombay gin essence that looks way too similar to Bombay Saphire and it goes on with a Jagermeister esque one etc. There's even an essence that looks strangely like absolut vodka where you have to add the Swedish Vodka essence to vodka. Heh heh, I hope I've picked it all up wrong, but are they suggesting essence+vodka = real drink ? :D

I wouldnt go near the spirit essences, just the liquer/candy/fruit ones which are really good. absolut vodka does have a relatively strong taste. With absolut they distil to a really pure level, then they add back in flavoured distillate from the beginning of the batch to give it a taste. With absoult citron, kurant etc they do not add back in flavoured distillate, just the flavourings.

You may have noticed the site has lots of disillation equipment. These spirits are mainly aimed at people who distil their own neutral vodkas. If you taste properly home distilled neutral spirit it is totally flavourless, extremely pure without the crap that is in commercial vodkas (even the supposedly good stuff), the sign you have made it right is the lack of hangover. Some home distillers have sent product off for scientific analysis in comparison to standard brands like smirnoff, there was a vast difference in the results, smirnoff full of other chemicals, by-products of fermentation that will cause hangovers.

This ultra pure home spirit has no taste and can taste very bland like distilled water, so some people would add in essence to replicate the taste of absolut. The blandest commercial vodka I have tried is skyy from america, perfect for cocktails where you do not want a taste to overpower your fruit.

If you add a whiskey essence to smirnoff it will taste like whiskey & smirnoff. If added to a home distilled one there will be no taste other than the essence. Most homedistillers would just make proper whiskey but some would use this essence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

I think you can buy a caramel liquer called Dooleys. Its in a blue & red bottle, remember drinking shots of it one night *cringe*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Has anyone tried a mango espresso vodka shot?

Had one yesterday, it was ok. Better than expected. Half Absolute Mango and half Van Gough (sp) Vodka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Wow, Skyy is a bit overpriced to be bland. I'm not a huge vodka drinker, but I'd love to know what all the differant main brand vodkas taste like. Currently people are going mad for a Lithuanian (sp?) vodka called Gera. For a poorly advertised brand it flys off the shelf.

I still strikes me as wrong that theres an essence to simulate all these drinks with vodka.

From what i've read, it's not supposed to clear, just to remain sort of baileys-like, just a bit browner, get back to us when you try it, I hear it's supposed to be amazing
    It's like drinking vodka. no flavour whatsoever other than neat vodka.
    Maybe I need to add some more sweets. It kind of seperates out to different layers. not nice to look at. will add 2 more tonight and see. not too hopeful.

EDIT: 2 more sweets added, almost dissolved. still smells only of vodka. still ****-brown :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I don't know if this will be of much help but the way to make salmiakki vodka(vodka flavoured with a liquoricey Scandinavian sweet) involves lobbing in loads of sweets, screwing the cap back on, running the mix through the dishwasher for one cycle, straining it and letting it cool. You should try a stronger tasting toffee. I never thought werther's tasted that much. Try a softer one maybe?

kenmc wrote:
    It's like drinking vodka. no flavour whatsoever other than neat vodka.
    Maybe I need to add some more sweets. It kind of seperates out to different layers. not nice to look at. will add 2 more tonight and see. not too hopeful.

EDIT: 2 more sweets added, almost dissolved. still smells only of vodka. still ****-brown :(
    Were they definitely Werthers Original and not any of the other varieties?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

The only caramel flavoured vodka in the world at the moment is produced by a company called Blavod Extreme Spirits and is called Players Extreme Caramel Vodka. Its an English company but i've never noticed any of its products in Ireland before.

There is Caramel Liqueurs available including Baileys, Dooleys and Dulseda though...

The only caramel flavoured vodka in the world at the moment
    You mean mass-produced I presume.
    All the stuff in Zermatt was home-made in the bars, if I am to believe the signs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭turnback

that's not true, my mother got caramel vodka in warsaw when she was there a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Just buy it... save's time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

Sean_K wrote: »
    skittles and vodka is disgusting, don't bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

turnback wrote: »
    that's not true, my mother got caramel vodka in warsaw when she was there a few months ago.

Indeed, I got a bottle of caramel vodka in france about 2 months ago, very, very nice. It didn't last too long though.

The thing with useing werthers is the sugar and all the crap they add to it, they're too hard and all the crap will float around, if you've done skittle vodka you'll know what I mean. Perhaps try somethings less solid like fudge The insides of galaxy caramel bars? :) The softer caramel might leave less crap to float around in the bottle. Don't bother with how it looks as long as it smells okay ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darby_O_Gill

They have Caramel Vodka in the Celtic Whiskey Shop: http://www.prlog.org/11064183-gecko-vodka-now-available-at-the-celtic-whiskey-shop.html

I tired this stuff at the Taste of Dublin and it was insanely delicious, couldn't believe it actually for a flavoured vodka! Have bought a few bottles since, but they don't last long ;)

Caramel Vodka website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They have Caramel Vodka in the Celtic Whiskey Shop: http://www.prlog.org/11064183-gecko-vodka-now-available-at-the-celtic-whiskey-shop.html

I tired this stuff at the Taste of Dublin and it was insanely delicious, couldn't believe it actually for a flavoured vodka! Have bought a few bottles since, but they don't last long ;)

Caramel Vodka website

WOW, you created an account and dug up a three year old thread to tell us that!

Only a very cynical person would suspect that you have an affiliation with Gecko Vodka!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

WOW, you created an account and dug up a three year old thread to tell us that!

Only a very cynical person would suspect that you have an affiliation with Gecko Vodka!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah I think you're way too cynical. He joined in 2009 and waited well over a year to plug it, if that's the case!

But holy zombie thread resurrection batman. I'd forgotten caramel vodka even existed :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

kenmc wrote: »
    I'd forgotten caramel vodka even existed
    Awww... our little boy is all grown up :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Abbot's in Cork are selling Chocolate Vodka (very cheap IIRC).

It's not as bad as you might think - it's full strength, clear and not sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cindyj189

Here in Arkansas, we have many different flavored vodkas,even pepper,(not good to me) but my favorite was Carmel flavored which naturally they discontinued. It was by players club. So now I would like to try and make my own. If anyone has had success please let me know as I would like to duplicate what Players club had. It was so smooth. Just mix in a little water and good. Wonder what an ice cream flavored sauce would do or even what we get in our coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

The Abbot's in Cork are selling Chocolate Vodka (very cheap IIRC).

It's not as bad as you might think - it's full strength, clear and not sweet.

There is also a caramel vodka by stumbras (large lithuanian spirits company) in stock but it's 20% abv. I havnt tasted it but there is a serious smell of caramel off it and it's fairly cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Anyone try pinnacle vodka?
    Holy 34 flavours batman.. butterscotch ? whipped cream?!z¥#&£@?

www.pinnaclevodka.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement