Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Allez Vs Trek 1000

Options
  • 31-03-2007 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I am tormenting myself as to which of these to buy.

Anyone any thoughts into which is the better bike?
    Or perhaps a third option ?
    The guy in the shop says its more to do with which colour I like as they are very similar quality wise.

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gtj10

hey,

I work in a shop which sells both these bikes and I can tell you anyone who says it depends on the color really doesnt know what their talking bout!!They have similar parts, but the overall build and finishing kit on the Allez is better.

The main differnce between the two is the compact geometry on the Allez. To me its more tight and feels less cumbersome. Also the Spec has a lovley frame. Its identical to the models above it the comp and elite. Think the elite has smoothed welds, doesnt really matter.Mostley the dif is component upgrades tho

If it was my money id go for the Allez. Im assuming your talking bout the 07 black one, if so it has about 120 euro of upgrades (wheelset, oversize bar/stem, saddle) over the 06 model where the trek only really had a paint job.

Trek has a nice racing pedigree. Bontrager parts are crap tho.

Only thing i dont like bout the Allez is that the carbon seatpost isnt carbon and its a wrapper painted onto a alu post. No biggie tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I don't suppose you work in Cycleways do you? :-)

They punt specialized pretty hard..

Indeed they do, but no i dont work in cycleways.

Just thought i'd add my piece. Ive owned a fair few spec myself and have never had a prob.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I don't suppose you work in Cycleways do you? :-)

They punt specialized pretty hard..

they don't sell trek though afaik, so that couldn't be it really could it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks gtj10,

I really was just looking for someone to confirm that I was making the right move.

I ordered the Allez this morning, should have it Wednesday :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you can't go wrong, I have a higher end allez and it is great..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Scratch that - I wont get that bike till next friday, so I decided since I was waiting anyway I could get this http://www.bhbikes.com/catalogo/carretera/l20.htm instead.

heart over head this time as I know little about it other than what they told me in Eurocycles, but it really floata my boat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I know a guy with a BH racer, and I have taken it for a spin. It was a lovely ride - nice bike. I don't know what model, but it would be mid range and he's had it for two years or so with no problems. He does triathalons on it to, so it's a good perfromer.
    I wouldn't have any worries going for a BH over a specialized. Check the spec of the two and the price, and if there is no major disparity, follow your heart. No pun intended, but it's you who'll be riding it for years, so personal taste is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I've ordered a new bike myself; I was also torn between Trek and Giant, but went for a Lapierre once I'd seen it in the flesh and had a go on it. Seems like only CSS sell them, but they don't use only own-brand components (like you often get with Trek etc), and importantly, I really LIKE it, which helps when you're splashing out the bones of a grand on bike and gear!
    I did try out the Allez in Cycleways, but it just didn't FEEL right.

I had what sounded like a bit of a crack at gtj10, sorry if it came off a little catty, but is anyone else a bit peeved that shops appear to push one brand over another? (Cycleways = Specialized, MacDonalds = Trek, CSS = lapierre etc)
    I used to do retail demos in Compustore when I was a student and the staff pushed Lexmark printers really hard, despite knowing they were cack, because they got a flat €10 in their pocket for every unit they sold!
    Frustrating when I worked for Epson.. :-|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Cycleways do push Specialized VERY hard. They are great bikes though, so it's not all bad. Not sure why it is really. Maybe they get a great mark up on them or they are contractually obliged to shift a certain amount to remain as distributor - I don't reallly know.

• Advertisement

I totally know what you mean bout computers and printers. Commission is a strange game. I was on it when sellin computers and some people are ruthless. Really its not in the consumers interest at all. Screwin people out of 300-400 euro for a 5 in your pocket is just petty!! Im not on comission now, really glad to be out of it.

Cycleways push spec for two reasons one being the same as every other shop. They sell them!! One place pushes spec and another giant and another trek because they play to their advantages. If all shops could get contract deals to sell the same brands then their would be no differnce between shops and it would dilute the market. not every shop is allowed sell all brands so you have to push what you have. Also cycleways are distributors of spec in a round about way. Doesnt change the product though, specialized are def a good one.

Anyway glad you found a bike you enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I've got the allez sport 06 model (the black one from last year). I got it up north with a 20% as the Tour de france was on so saved a bit of cash. I can't fault the bike at all really. I don't cycle it copetitively though. I have done some 30-40k cycles with no problems. A friend used to have the Trek 1000 before it got stolen (05 model I think?) and he had a probelms with spokes breaking which is a common occurance with them apparantly. I didn't intend on getting the Spec Allez at first. The shop where I got it had a nice Giant for less money with better spec parts on. I don't regret not getting the Giant now though. The Allez does look very nice (not that looks matter) and rides really well.
    Another friend has a BH mid range road bike (slightly higher spec than my Allez Sport, maybe shimano 105 all round?) and got it on sale last year. He's 6'6'', big built and has had no problems with it as far as I know.

Pete.

Advertisement