Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Year Waranty

• 01-04-2007 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I duno if this is really new news but i just thought id let everyone know anyway. Found out today after ringing MS customer care that 360 warrantys have been extended to 2 years so now my dead 360 which was refused a repair a month ago can now be fully restored to glory! woot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

they are doing this becuase in the past recent months irish customers have been quoting the law to them over the phone. Under the Irish Electrical goods act of (cant remember year) we are covered for up to 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Cheers. Mine has been having problems with reading discs lately. If this keeps up I'm definitely sending it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Antigone05 wrote:
    Under the Irish Electrical goods act of (cant remember year) we are covered for up to 6 years.

Is that the correct title? I couldn't find it anywhere. Sale of Goods Act, 1980 doesn't stipulate the length of warranty.

Found this too, http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/elect.cfm but that doesn't say you're covered for 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Makaveli wrote:
    Is that the correct title? I couldn't find it anywhere. Sale of Goods Act, 1980 doesn't stipulate the length of warranty.

Found this too, http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/elect.cfm but that doesn't say you're covered for 6 years.

If you ring up the consumer advice line they tell you that it is 6 years. Ring them and ask where it is in Irish law :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

If you ring up the consumer advice line they tell you that it is 6 years. Ring them and ask where it is in Irish law :P

If the law is 6 years why are they only offering two years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ntlbell wrote:
    If the law is 6 years why are they only offering two years?

coz most people will accept what theyre offered without question

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Hey guys, did anyone try and quote any of this stuff to microsoft yet. Anyone have any luck yet? Did anyone try ringing the consumer advice agency (or whatever they call themselves) yet?

Would love to find out that this was accurate as i have allready paid Microsoft €120 to have my 360 repaired and would love to get it back.

Well rang them there. It is 6 years but not with the manufacturer it's with the shop. She said it's under The Sale of Goods Act but I couldn't actually find anywhere in there that says you're covered for 6 years. Regardless, she told me you just have to say what act it is and that you have contacted the OCDA and that you are covered for the 6 years. If the shop doesn't comply you can take them to the small claims court which costs €9 I think she said.

Anyway, it's not Microsoft that have to honour the six years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i know someone that paid for the repair..rang them after finding this irish law and he has since been refunded. a cheque was sent to him.

Antigone05 wrote:
    i know someone that paid for the repair..rang them after finding this irish law and he has since been refunded. a cheque was sent to him.

who sent the cheque ms or the shop?

None of this is making sense if MS don't have to offer 6 years why are they refunding cheque's? if it is 6 years then why are not all xbox's bought in Ireland given a 6yr standard warrarnty?

is this for all electrical goods?

e.g. if i buy a tv from harvey norman they offer 1 year standard and roughly 300e extra for 4 years extended so i don't have to take the 4 years they are obliged to pay for the repair up to 6 years?

• Advertisement

Yes for electrical goods. She told me a guarantee is just a bonus (guarantee isn't a warranty). You are entitled by law to a repair, replacement or refund from the shop if the product is faulty up to six years after purchase.

Manufacturers warranty is not the same thing. MS are probably offering two years now due to all the complaints. Saving face, if they refunded the money it was through goodwill.

So, you do not have a six year manufacturer warranty. You do have a 6 year warranty with the shop you bought it from though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Just wondering, if you return the xbox to the shop do you have to bring back the hard drive aswell

Yeah, I'd say so. They might let you swap it with the HDD from the new one if you are getting a replacement. That would be at their discretion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

This is very intrestering, but I would love some bit of paper to back it up. As 6 years is a strange number.

Can anybody find anyting in the Act, as I couldn't either?

the-ging wrote:
    This is very intrestering, but I would love some bit of paper to back it up. As 6 years is a strange number.

Can anybody find anyting in the Act, as I couldn't either?

I read every word of it this morning and found nothing, there was a mention of '6 years' once in the whole document referring to motorcycle sales.

That was my main gripe too, and I asked her to give me the reference from the Act but she said she didn't know it. Regardless, if you ring the ODCA they'll tell you it's six years and she told me to quote them. I suppose if you're in the shop and they're refusing to comply you could ring the ODCA there and then and get them to speak with the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

ntlbell wrote:
    I read every word of it this morning and found nothing, there was a mention of '6 years' once in the whole document referring to motorcycle sales.

Shame. I would need to know stuff for sure if i was to try and get my money back again. Have made enough calls to microsoft without getting anywhere.

You're not entitled to your money back from MS. You're contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer. If they have increased the manufacturer warranty to two years now though you should be entitled to the refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tobikov

The length of time is not referred to in the act. It only mentions a 'reasonable amount of time'. As such the length of warranty you're entitled to is a pretty grey area and is disputable by a retailer. Where the OCDA get 6 years I've no idea though. Is it in some other act? It's certainly not in the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act anyway.

I don't know where it came from. Ring them and they'll tell you it's 6 years though. Very random number I thought but it's what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Hi, my 360 got the red lights last night. Its only 4months old. What should i say if they tell me in the shop to ring MS?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Tell them by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, it is up to the retailer to honour the warrenty and deal with the manufacturer on behalf of the consumer.

OK, i went up to the shop i bought my 360 from on the 11/1/07 today. The girl behind the counter would not give me a replacment for my console. She insisted on me ringing microsoft. Even though i said all the stuff about the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980

If i boxed everything up and brought it to the shop, am i entitled to a refund?

Thanks

Did you ask to speak to the manager?

Ring the ODCA and they'll tell you exactly what you're entitled to. The shop is breaking the law btw. Your contract is with them and not MS so they are in breach of that contract.

Ok i rang the shops head office and they just kept saying that they would have to send it to MS.

You know when the OCDA say your entitled to a repare,replacement or a refund. Does that mean you have the choice of the 3 or the shop does?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

JM MARCONI wrote:
    You know when the OCDA say your entitled to a repare,replacement or a refund. Does that mean you have the choice of the 3 or the shop does?

Thanks
    The shop does.

Ok thanks. Thats not what i wanted to hear

If they continue to refuse to honour the contract you can always take them to the small claims court.
    ODCA wrote:
    A shop insists that consumer deals with the Manufacturer of goods which turn out to be faulty ?

* The consumer's contract is always with the seller of the goods.
    * In this case, if the consumer paid money to the retailer, contract is with the retailer and it is up to the retailer to deal with the situation.
    * However, this does not stop the consumer from contacting/dealing with the manufacturer themselves if they so wish.

http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/elect.cfm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

I duno if this is really new news but i just thought id let everyone know anyway. Found out today after ringing MS customer care that 360 warrantys have been extended to 2 years so now my dead 360 which was refused a repair a month ago can now be fully restored to glory! woot.

Where did you get this from, I rang them up and they were having none of it, said I had to pay £50 sterling or something. Has anyone else got any joy with the two-year warrenty thing?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

am i mistaken are is this an april fools joke it was posted on 01-04-07

Advertisement