Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Year Waranty

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

ah good call, could be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

no its true! I brought my launch system back into gamestop and qouted the law to the manager. I got a brand new system for free, and I got to keep my HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think he means the 2 year manufacturer warranty from MS.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

A few people look to be getting the warranty of a product mixed up with consumer law, they are two different things. The warranty is an extra, what's said in law is a right, as such.

In any case, what Makaveli has been saying is correct, the contract is with the retailer anything beyond that is extra.
    Tobikov wrote:
    The length of time is not referred to in the act. It only mentions a 'reasonable amount of time'. As such the length of warranty you're entitled to is a pretty grey area and is disputable by a retailer. Where the OCDA get 6 years I've no idea though. Is it in some other act? It's certainly not in the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act anyway.

It's only a guess, but I'd say that the OCDA have taken a 'reasonable amount of time' to mean 6 years from past court cases or legal advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Of course, it should also be pointed out that the judgements/opinions of the ODCA are not legally binding..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

if you have lost your receipt will a credit card bill showing the item purchase suffice?

sweetie wrote:
    if you have lost your receipt will a credit card bill showing the item purchase suffice?
    Legally you have to provide 'reasonable' proof of purchase. In one case I read about, the court accepted an account of a conversation with a sales assistant on the day as reasonable proof... so I guess it depends on the judge. A till receipt is just cast iron proof really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Absolam wrote:
    Legally you have to provide 'reasonable' proof of purchase. In one case I read about, the court accepted an account of a conversation with a sales assistant on the day as reasonable proof... so I guess it depends on the judge. A till receipt is just cast iron proof really..

If all else fails the manufacturing date can be taken :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The store should have the models they've sold stored on their computer systems anyway but of course they don't want to provide proof of purchase for you. I think they should have to give you or the court access to search the database for data relating to the sale. its unfair to expect someone to keep a receipt for 6 years.

Anyway one of the conditions in the sale of goods and supply of services act is that it does not cover user misuse so some stores might try to pull that on people. If you didn't store/use your 360 as instructed then you aren't really entitled to a refund/replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jamiemc

Hey guys,

We got that too from MS, there's a 2 year warranty on xbox 360 consoles.

to get it done quickest, take down the serial number and manufacture date and get it ready to go, and they'll email you out a ups label. ring this into ups and they'll come collect it, and you'll get a refurbished machine back in a week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Thats good news, i might have to send mine back after it did nothing but crash playing graw 2. Does anyone know the number you have to call for MS? I remember looking for it ages ago but couldnt find one.

brim4brim wrote:
    The store should have the models they've sold stored on their computer systems anyway but of course they don't want to provide proof of purchase for you. I think they should have to give you or the court access to search the database for data relating to the sale. its unfair to expect someone to keep a receipt for 6 years.

Anyway one of the conditions in the sale of goods and supply of services act is that it does not cover user misuse so some stores might try to pull that on people. If you didn't store/use your 360 as instructed then you aren't really entitled to a refund/replacement.
    If you gave the Store personal information at the time of purchase, then you are entititled to a copy of the information (and therefore the sale) under the Data Protection Act. For a fee. However.. 6 years after purchase the shop wouldn't be under any obligation to repair/replace/refund anyway.. the Act says 'reasonable period' and that has been generally taken as one year in Irish courts.. but will have to be increased to 2 years when the EU legislation is transcribed.... which there is no sign of yet!

Advertisement