Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Broadband in Ireland

Options
  • 01-04-2007 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Appears that Google have launched a new Broadband service for Irish customers:

http://www.google.ie/tisp

Anyone going to try it?

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Lmfao!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

slumped wrote:
    Hi All
    Anyone going to try it?

Is it fully compatible with Septic Tanks :D

.brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

i have a portaloo in the garden. might ring them to see if it works

S

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's the problem with Broadband penetration in Ireland. Not enough network. Too many people on their own tank or else a poorly funded Group scheme. Sure didn't they cancel funding on the 3rd phase GBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I thought IBB already had a 'broadband down the toilet' solution ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Google is bring loads of products out today, including gmail paper
    https://mail.google.com/mail/help/paper/more.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Cabaal wrote:
    Google is bring loads of products out today, including gmail paper
    https://mail.google.com/mail/help/paper/more.html
    I believe that's an April Fools joke [which I believed]. Imagine the costs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

By far the best April's fool joke Ive ever read....thanks google for the laught

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ethernet wrote:
    I believe that's an April Fools joke [which I believed]. Imagine the costs involved.

no, really??? :rolleyes:
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

slumped wrote:
    Hi All

Appears that Google have launched a new Broadband service for Irish customers:

Anyone going to try it?

S
    /me imagines Microsoft countering by coming out with a "new", "innovative", "never been done before", "broadband through your kitchen sink"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Surely they're taking the piss ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Surely they're taking the piss ?

no i think it's quite genuine.

they are advertising for people to stand waist high in sh1t and piss so they can search in our own bodily waste for the cables that we flush down our toilets.

www.iwantacrapjob.com/google

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Cabaal wrote:
    no, really??? :rolleyes:
    :D
    Just making sure! It's still early[-ish]. :D

The dodgy work on the Netgear router for the TiSP service was a giveaway. Just to think people got paid to do this for today. Soft job or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Google can make anything look genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well there are *REAL* sewer fibres. Not in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Wouldnt like to be the poor bugger who has to go down there if theres ever a problem lol:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

watty wrote:
    Well there are *REAL* sewer fibres. Not in Ireland though.

Didn't the French cable Paris that way? I'm sure I saw it on Megacities on Discovery Channel (or National Geographic). And not on April 1st ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

slumped wrote:
    no i think it's quite genuine.

they are advertising for people to stand waist high in sh1t and piss so they can search in our own bodily waste for the cables that we flush down our toilets.

www.iwantacrapjob.com/google

Hmmm....obviously need to brush up on my one-liner deliveries.......;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Excellent I love it. Wonder how many people will contact them looking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

just partition a corner of your septic tank, install Vista and wait for the ***t to hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

stanley1 wrote:
    just partition a corner of your septic tank, install Vista and wait for the ***t to hit the fan.

This septic tank is is fully open source so that is not an option!

.brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Frequently Asked Questions

How can Google offer this service for free?
    We believe that all users deserve free, fast and sanitary online access. To offset the cost of providing the TiSP service, we use information gathered by discreet DNA sequencing of your personal bodily output to display online ads that are contextually relevant to your culinary preferences, current health status and likelihood of developing particular medical conditions going forward. Google also offers premium levels of service for a monthly fee (see below).
    Note: We take your privacy very seriously. So we treat all TiSP users' waste-related personal information with tremendous discretion, in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Is Google TiSP safe and reliable?
    Google TiSP ensures reliable throughput through the power of fiber, which has been proven through extensive research to effectively facilitate consistent data flow with minimal latency. And you can rest assured that under no circumstances will the TiSP system ever expose your privates.

Can I use TiSP if my home uses a septic system?
    Sorry, but no -- TiSP requires the use of a central sewer system to connect your home to the Internet.

What are the system requirements?

Windows XP/Vista (Mac and Linux support coming soon)
    Internet Explorer 6.0+ or Firefox 1.5+ with the Google Toolbar
    Round-front or elongated toilet providing at least 1.0 gallonser flush
    Use of automatic toilet bowl cleaners is not recommended

Can I still use my toilet after installing TiSP?
    Do we look stupid? Needless to say, the fiber optic cable that enables TiSP will not interfere with your toilet's regular operations. For your own convenience, however, you may eventually wish to hire a professional contractor to help route the cable under, or through, the toilet seat to your TiSP wireless router.

Why is TiSP in beta?
    When things go wrong with TiSP, they go very, very wrong. Let's leave it at that.

haha, very funny service, right up there with Irish Broadband for sh$t service

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

i have to close this page or ill crack up - here more

Professional Installation Service

You can also choose to request our professional installation service, which dispatches an army of factory-trained, sub-contracted nanobots from the TiSP Access Node. The nanobots travel with exhilarating nano-speed through the sewer system and into your home to perform the installation service, which should be complete within 15 minutes. Note: For your own physical safety and emotional well-being and in consideration of the nanobots' working conditions, please make absolutely certain that your toilet is unoccupied at the scheduled appointment time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

BendiBus wrote:
    Didn't the French cable Paris that way? I'm sure I saw it on Megacities on Discovery Channel (or National Geographic). And not on April 1st ;)

No this is wrong we did use the trees.
    Reason why each tree in Paris is an internet terminal now.

But soon we are going to use the Gipsies, because they are always in motion with their hands in front of them, begging for money, we are going to use them as mobile internet terminals now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

HAs to be a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Even the 404 message is good :D
    The requested URL was not found on this server. There are so many reasons that this might have happened we can scarcely bring ourselves to type them all out. You might have typed the URL incorrectly, for instance. Or (less likely but certainly plausible) we might have coded the URL incorrectly. Or (far less plausible, but theoretically possible, depending on which ill-defined Grand Unifying Theory of physics one subscribes to), some random fluctuation in the space-time continuum might have produced a shatteringly brief but nonetheless real electromagnetic discombobulation which caused this error page to appear. Or (and truth be told, this is by far the most likely scenario) you might have reached a page that we meant to create but didn't get around to it, since this year's April Fool's joke got hacked together at the last minute, more or less the same way this one did. And this one. And this one, and this one, and this one...

Advertisement