Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

should i buy a new or second hand opel astra 3dr?

Options
  • 01-04-2007 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi all,
    I ve decided to buy an opel astra 3dr sportshatch, I cant make up my mind on what i should i do, i can buy a 07 one for 22,200(cash price with no trade in or finance) or i can buy a 06 for 20k with about 15km on da clock.
    or i can go with a private sale for about 19k for a 06,
    I dont know much about cars so i am a little scared of buying a private sale, on da other hand the car would still have a years manufacturing warranty. does that mean anything?
    If i was to buy a car privately i would get it checked buy a mechanic or aa vehicle checker for a little reassurance.

Can any one give me there advice on what i should do? is spending 19k on a private sale a bit too risky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colieo wrote:
    hi all,
    I ve decided to buy an opel astra 3dr sportshatch, I cant make up my mind on what i should i do, i can buy a 07 one for 22,200(cash price with no trade in or finance) or i can buy a 06 for 20k with about 15km on da clock.
    or i can go with a private sale for about 19k for a 06,
    I dont know much about cars so i am a little scared of buying a private sale, on da other hand the car would still have a years manufacturing warranty. does that mean anything?
    If i was to buy a car privately i would get it checked buy a mechanic or aa vehicle checker for a little reassurance.

Can any one give me there advice on what i should do? is spending 19k on a private sale a bit too risky?

If you are getting a brand new one for €22,200 then the 2006 one for €20k is expensive. Are both models the same? That is only €2,200 in depreciation over 1 year which simply too low in my opinion. Most cars like the Astra will loose about €3k to €3.5k in depreciation in their first year so I don't think your getting a great deal on the 2006 car.

If you have the extra money then I would go with the brand new car, it seems better value to me. At least that way you also have the added bonus of a 2 year warranty, a car that is a year younger and your the first owner so you don't have to worry about how the previous owner treated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm guessing it was a rental car,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm guessing it was a rental car,

Opel do have a lot of ex lease/rental cars that they release when they are about 1 yr old. Usually with 20k on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Could also be one of the "3 day test drive" ones from last year that had the crap driven out of it.

Either way €20k for a 1 year old Astra compared to €22,200 for a brand new one is not a good deal in my books.

Advertisement