Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple of questions...

Options
  • 01-04-2007 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I will be building a computer in a few days, just waiting on one or two more parts to arrive.

I was looking at the interior of the case and was just wondering if there were enough fans?? There are two small ones on the side and one at the top of the case. There is an indentation at the back for an exhaust fan but no fan, is it important that I stick one in there?

Just looked at my Graphics card, a 7300GT and it looks like there is no fan on it either, does it need one?? I will only be using it for occasional gaming.

I will have two heatsinks! One I ordered (startech) and one that came with the processor, which should I use?

Also my case relies heavily on LED's and I was wondering where the connections for these go??(NOOB), there are no instructions and they don't jump out at me where exactly they should go???

Thanks for all your help people!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

That's a little bit bit overkill with the fans you don't really need anything bar the minimum, fan on CPU fan built into PSU and a fan if present on the GPU.

Putting extra fans helps lowering temps further but if the temps are okay to begin with then there is not much point.

The 7300GT does not need a fan if it did it would have come with one in the first place.

I'm not familiar with Startech CPU coolers so I would go with the stock CPU cooler.

LED's usually take their power from a variety of means e.g LED fan either though the actual connection like the fan header on the motherboard for power or through the 4 pin molex power connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

what size are the fans? cause the small ones might make alot of noise and you'd be better off using the larger ones instead.

If the 7300 didn't come with fans then you don't need one and if there's good airflow in the case then the heat will be remove from what i'm guessing is a heatsink.

Its a good idea to have an exhaust fan cause you'll need to remove the heat from inside the system and if you want extra cooling there are spot coolers and vga specific coolers available for doing that kinda thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hey thanks for the replies,

They are not large fans in the case.

That's grand with the GFX card.

8T8- LED fans? I meant LED as in lights? (Unless I misunderstood which is possible!) There are about 6 light connections coming from the case and I don't know where I should stick them, there will also be 3 fan connectors.

Thanks again guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Don't worry about the fans if you're not going to be doing much gaming or overclocking.

If it's a Core2Duo CPU you're getting, then the stock heatsink and fan is perfectly adequate, and quiet.

On a regular ATX case there are two LED's (HDD and Power) with connectors that you attach to pins on the motherboard. The motherboard manual will show you where.
    Extra LED's, you'll probably have to get some type of connector so that you can power them directly from the PSU or alternatively perhaps it's possible to graft them together into one connector and then attach to the appropriate motherboard pins.

Your system specs would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hey Extra, here are my specs...

(Also, might be considering a little overclocking, but nothing serious)

Core Duo 2.13 ghz
    Windows Vista Premium
    GeForce 7300GT
    2 gb DDR2 ram
    ASRock Conroe XFire ESATA2 S775 Intel 945P
    320 GB HDD (Will be adding another one in a few weeks)
    480W Crap Bundle PSU (Will also change this in a few weeks!)

Need anything else give me a shout, thanks Lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement