Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone come up with a proof for...

• 01-04-2007 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

The sum from n=0 to infinity of the term, (2^n) / ( (2^(2^n)) + 1 ) converges to a value equal to 1

This looks like,

1/3 + 2/5 + 4/17 + 8/257 + ..... = 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think I did this or something like it at LC.
    Can remeber now at all, the general equation of the forumale is needed, I think

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Don't think you would have done this in the Leaving Cert, something similar alright, but this raises a power to a power, a bit too complicated for the LC I'd say.

As for solving it, I'm not sure where you'd start. Have you had any success OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭seandoiler

Precision wrote:

The sum from n=0 to infinity of the term, (2^n) / ( (2^(2^n)) + 1 ) converges to a value equal to 1

This looks like,

1/3 + 2/5 + 4/17 + 8/257 + ..... = 1

well not sure how accurate this is but what i did was to consider the partial sums
    S_0=1/3
    S_1=11/15
    S_2=247/255
    etc

now of course the infinite sum is the limit of the partial sums, so we need only find an expression for the partial sums.....keep the partial sums in the form a/b and we can see that the denominator for the nth partial sum is 2^(2^(n+1))-1, while the numerator is 2^(2^(n+1))-1 - 2^(n+1) and so we have

S_n = [2^(2^(n+1))-1 - 2^(n+1)] / [2^(2^(n+1))-1] = 1 - [2^(n+1) / (2^(2^(n+1))-1)]

we now calculate the limit as n goes to infinity of the term S_n and since (2^(2^(n+1))-1) goes to infinity much faster than 2^(n+1), we can conclude that the limit in this case is 1

hence the sum of the infinite series is 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Precision

Thanks! :)
    seandoiler wrote:

well not sure how accurate this is but what i did was to consider the partial sums
    S_0=1/3
    S_1=11/15
    S_2=247/255
    etc

now of course the infinite sum is the limit of the partial sums, so we need only find an expression for the partial sums.....keep the partial sums in the form a/b and we can see that the denominator for the nth partial sum is 2^(2^(n+1))-1, while the numerator is 2^(2^(n+1))-1 - 2^(n+1)

I went through it as you said... considering the partial sums.
    S_0=1/3
    S_1=11/15
    S_2=247/255
    S_3=65519/65535
    S_4=4294967263/4294967295
    Putting the numerators into a series starting with the zeroth term,
    1, 11, 247, 65519, 4294967263,... n'th term is, 2^(2^(n+1))-1-(2^(n+1))
    Putting the denominators into a series starting with the zeroth term,
    3, 15, 255, 65535, 4294967295,... n'th term is, 2^(2^(n+1))-1
    seandoiler wrote:

and so we have

S_n = [2^(2^(n+1))-1 - 2^(n+1)] / [2^(2^(n+1))-1] = 1 - [2^(n+1) / (2^(2^(n+1))-1)]

we now calculate the limit as n goes to infinity of the term S_n and since (2^(2^(n+1))-1) goes to infinity much faster than 2^(n+1), we can conclude that the limit in this case is 1

hence the sum of the infinite series is 1
    Excellent!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

And I take it you just had to construct the Sn for the numerator and denominator by inspection, yeh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭seandoiler

And I take it you just had to construct the Sn for the numerator and denominator by inspection, yeh?

yes this is what i did for the denominator, the numerator is easy to spot as you just take an increasing power of two from the denominator value at each stage

Advertisement