Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raid Problems

Options
  • 01-04-2007 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Finally got around to setting up a box i had for a recording studio. i have a dvd burner, a 160gb hard drive, 80gb, 60gb and another 80gb. Whats the best way to set these up on a raid (as in jumper settings etc) i cant seem to get them all working. At the moment i have the 80 and the 60 on th eprimary ide and then i have the 160 on the raid and the burner on the secondary IDE. This took a lot of messing because sometimes one cancelled out the other. And at that the system doesnt seem to be very stable. Also i have a USB external hard drive and the computer doesnt really seem to like it on this new machine.

now trust me, i know tech specs are non existent here because i dont have them off hand but any suggestions.(and no smart comments lol)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

erm... smart comments will usually be in reply to a smart question. What you have written there really makes no sense so i'm going to assume that you haven't read anything on how to set up a RAID.

First off i'm going to pull a Syxpak and link you here: Wiki on RAID

Read through it.

Second, find out if your motherboard even supports RAID. Setting up a RAID has nothing to do with jumper settings on the HDD's, and AFAIK, or the motherboard. It is usually something you enable in the BIOS then configure at a prompt after POST.

Third, find out what kind of RAID you actually want to set up, and why do you want to set up a RAID, for performance or redundancy? If those 2x80GB drives are identical, you could set them up in a RAID 0, then have the 160GB and 60GB in a JBOD. Or you could have the whole thing in a JBOD... or you could simplify things and just merge all the disks together under disk management in XP Pro.

Come back with answers to those 3 questions and we'll be able to help you get the proper RAID set up for your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

no sorry i shouldnt have really said raid. I just want to use four+ independant hard drives using an ata100 card for the extra IDE cables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

All these drives are IDE correct ?

160GB HD
    80GB HD1
    80GB HD2
    60GB HD

DVD burner

Motherboard ?
    1 IDE controller - max support 2 IDE devices

PCI IDE controller - max support 4 IDE devices

This is very simply check each hard drive & the DVD burner and set it to cable select for all of them, this will automatically take care of the master/slave business.

If you have a PCI IDE controller any HD on that must supply a driver for Windows otherwise it will not see the extra hard drives attached to it.

Advertisement