Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ok, yet another 'what car' thread......

Options
  • 01-04-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

ok, the SSIA is in, the old (01?!) car is gone, and the cash is in the bank.

Traditionally a coupe driver, I've just sold my E-class, and so am back in the market.

Requirements:
    Coupe
    2 + 2 seating mandatory (2 kids..........no Z-car, sorry)
    If at all poss, less than 2.0. Turbo's good. Might stretch to 2.5, but I have an aversion to large car tax...........:rolleyes: mind you.........I like 993 's 968's........
    Tiptronic or auto
    Turbos = good

......I collected a TT in England last week, remapped to 268bhp........crumbs (I've had two before......), they're kinda hard to beat............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Mazda RX8. 2+2, possibly the nicest coupe on the market (IMO) Only down sides are it tends to drink oil (so I've read, anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Have to agree with Bennyx_o, the RX8 is a beautiful car. 1.3 L rotary engine, huge amounts of power. Does around 25-35 mpg and always grips the road. I think it was taxed as a 1.8i (typical govt corruption) but this may have changed. Hope you find your ideal car!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, the RX-8 is taxed as a 1.8 litre. It is available is two versions, the standard 192bhp and the more powerful 231bhp version. Not sure they were available here with an auto box though.

OP doesn't mention his budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

maoleary wrote:
    Have to agree with Bennyx_o, the RX8 is a beautiful car. 1.3 L rotary engine, huge amounts of power. Does around 25-35 mpg and always grips the road. I think it was taxed as a 1.8i (typical govt corruption) but this may have changed. Hope you find your ideal car!

Government corruption??? They closed a loophole, that's all. Should it be insured at the same price as a Mitsubishi Colt too?

Anyway, RX8 was the first thing that sprung to my mind, they are supposed to be surprisingly practical. Any of the larger Merc Coupes do anything for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

eoin_s wrote:
    Government corruption??? They closed a loophole, that's all. Should it be insured at the same price as a Mitsubishi Colt too?

Well it just showed up how ridiculous the taxing system is in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

tuxy wrote:
    Well it just showed up how ridiculous the taxing system is in this country.

This is getting quite OT, but I don't get you - taxing on displacement is ridiculous, or closing the loophole (which this page implies isn't unique to Ireland)?

Either way, to put this down to "government corruption" sounds a little petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mmmm, curious how so many have jumped to an RX-8........oil wouldn't bother me.

As for the tax - actually Eoin, why the bloody hell should it be taxed as a 1.8 - it's not one. The capacity of the car is a physical thing, so by rights, it should only be taxed - and VRT'd - as a 1.3/whatever.

As for the Merc thing, I just sold my 01 E-Class, and whilst it really was lovely, and it did everything you'd want (high spec one..) it just never really grabbed me. I'm sure the coupe's wouldn't be much different.

I'm really torn up about a 968 or 944 turbo at the mo, having seen one at the w/end...............mmmmmmmm

Alfa, anyone?.......I used to have a Giuletta..............mmmmmmmmmm

Budget - mmm, it's a balance between what's right and what's sensible. For instance, I have no prob spending 20k. But I might push the boat out and spend 35k

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Alpine GTA Turbo? Or are you looking for something newer.

Oh crumbs Brian, but no. There's a turbo one for sale a few miles from me, and it's a bit too old.

Interesting car, though.........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

If you can be bothered going to the UK, there is a lovely looking 968 here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ok, this is VERY old now ...but how could possibly resist?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=518125

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

how short are your kids legs?

tvARR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

RX-8 or celica GT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You might be brand averse and it's manual, but it's a very sexy car Alfa GT 1.9 JTD 150bhp

or one of these:D :D Not exactly credential matchin either, but room for the kids and right fun from what I hear Mini (leather, auto, panoramic roof)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

What about the new golf GTI? with DSG box, coupe (sort of), ticks all the other boxes (for me anyway:))

mmm, that 968 is indeed nice, but being a CS, has no rear seats, and is manual.....

e-type.......no, not me, I'm afraid.
    tvr....have a cabrio, don't need another !
    Alfa...actually, I test drove one, and it's fab......was hoping to buy something further down the depreciation cycle so I don't get completely walloped in 2 years time......fabulous seats, btw.....
    Golf - god, no. Still a shopping car. Had a DSG Golf already, so agree it's technically brilliant, but need something to hug at the heart strings....

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

galwaytt wrote:
    mmm, that 968 is indeed nice, but being a CS, has no rear seats, and is manual.....

e-type.......no, not me, I'm afraid.
    tvr....have a cabrio, don't need another !
    Alfa...actually, I test drove one, and it's fab......was hoping to buy something further down the depreciation cycle so I don't get completely walloped in 2 years time......fabulous seats, btw.....
    Golf - god, no. Still a shopping car. Had a DSG Golf already, so agree it's technically brilliant, but need something to hug at the heart strings....
    and the mini???

Advertisement