Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Web Site From Home

Options
  • 01-04-2007 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Hi There,
    I have been trying to setup hosting a website from my own server at home.
    Is anyone aware if NTL prevent us from doing this. Are they blocking port 80??
    Samba is working perfect on the LAN but having no luck when accessing the IP from the internet.
    Am i in my rights to contact them about this and request they do not prevent me from hosting my own website.

syngin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I wouldn't contact them because most BB providers prohibit hosting a server on a home connection in their T&C.

I also don't think they block port 80. Can you access the webserver from you LAN? If you can have you setup port forwarding on your router?

I'm with BT but currently running a small web \ ftp server and SSH server from my connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

AFAIR it says in their agreement that you can't host your own website.

Check the router though, most block http traffic from the wan.

[edit] Matrim beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It doesn't make sense anyway. 200G a month cap, virtual server etc + domain is less per year than irish ISP charge.

Advertisement