Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fonera wireless router questions

• 01-04-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

For 3 weeks now, I am the owner of a Fon wireless router. I paid 45 euro for it as I have not posted enough here on the boards to be able to use the 'get a free Fon router' offer.

So far the experience has been quite painful. The device (a Meraki) is capable of a lot, but Fon has clamped it down completely.

It started with the user manual, which is not on the CD and hard to find on Fon's website. Fon's mods seem to give very short, tight-assed answers as soon as questions becomes more interesting.

I tried to get file sharing working with my wired network but it seems that is impossible. According to a mod on Fon's forum, it is possible but only "if you know what you are doing..", and not providing anymore information, because "it is too difficult". Thank you for that.

The administration interface, even if it's only a couple of pages, is quite confusing to me (with 2 pages about DHCP and some ip addresses I am not sure on which interface I have to place them).

Now for the questions:
    - did anyone get file sharing to work on the Fon? I presume you have to set right port forwarding if it is possible, but I don't know the ports.
    - did anyone flash the Fon with dd-wrt AND was able to keep the Fonera part? Don't get me wrong, I know that flashing it with dd-wrt will give me a lot more functionality but I DO want to support Fon (I even paid for the router). But in the current form, the firmware makes it very hard...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I got filesharing working on the linksys model. Was tricky enough took me hours. Basically it is down to compatibility between the WAP and whatever usb/card you are using on the other machine you want ot network to. Plus you need to have shared files on both PC's. Also can only copy one way as far as I can see. If you are technical you will figure it. if not cd burning is available.

Did not flash - too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

I have spend hours on it as well, but no success. I do have the small white box though (the Meraki) and not the Linksys. I do consider myself technical enough.

Just thinking: unlocking the OpenWrt is enough too I guess, as that has a similar feature set. I will do a Google.

Which way is it not copying? if it is LAN to Wireless, maybe a static routing rule will suffice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Follow up for people with the same problem.

Yes it is possible to 'unlock' the Fon, without flashing it again with dd-wrt and keep the firmware from Fon.

But you need to get SSH access first.

Here is a posting how enable bridging after you've gained SSH access:

http://boards.fon.com/viewtopic.php?t=2751

Will try this myself when I have the time.

Still think it is a pity that Fon doesn't understand that this is needed basic functionality. My guess is that especially the early Fon adopters are wifi enthusiasts and very technical. Offering them a box with little to play with, is only alienating a potential customer base :)

Advertisement