Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mix

Options
  • 01-04-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hey all. This is a new mix I made of my friends song. Hey kinda came up with the whole thing during a jam. All thoughts welcome!

http://glasshouserecordings.bebo.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

My thoughts are you should tell us which song on the site is the one you want to listen to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

squibs wrote:
    My thoughts are you should tell us which song on the site is the one you want to listen to :)

Agh!! Squibs would you believe I'm always doing that. It's 'Off Alone'. Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I wouldn't be a fan of the voice but I do like how intimate it sounds. Only thing that struck me about the voice was the occassional plosive on words like "push". It's only very slight though. Was a shield used? Maybe roll off a tiny bit of very low end to get rid of it if you haven't already tried that?

I wouldn't be a fan of the voice but I do like how intimate it sounds. Only thing that struck me about the voice was the occassional plosive on words like "push". It's only very slight though. Was a shield used? Maybe roll off a tiny bit of very low end to get rid of it if you haven't already tried that?

Hey Niall! I think it's 50-50 regarding the voice. Alot of people like it, alot don't (but say things like 'my wife/girlfriend/sister would love it.)

I have a pop filter but it doesn't ctahc everyhting. I think I'll go and make my own or spend some money on a mesh filter. I could try EQ a little bass out, but because his voice is so weak I don't wanna take from it...for that reason I wasn't too keen to add reverb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I liked it.

A couple of notes -
    I thought there were some slight pitch problems in the vox from time to time
    The bass notes in the picked guitar (nice job - by the way!) was very busy and distracted me a little. I wonder would it work better playing every other note to fit in better with the overall feel of the song?
    The electric solo didn't work for me - I think an acoustic riff on top of the existing acoustic track would work better.

• Advertisement

squibs wrote:
    I liked it.

A couple of notes -
    I thought there were some slight pitch problems in the vox from time to time
    The bass notes in the picked guitar (nice job - by the way!) was very busy and distracted me a little. I wonder would it work better playing every other note to fit in better with the overall feel of the song?
    The electric solo didn't work for me - I think an acoustic riff on top of the existing acoustic track would work better.

Hey Squibs!

Yeah that's my buddy on guitar...he has a very weird style, he seems to kinda 'plonk' open bass strings on his way between chords. It can be cool during run downs, but because it's so random it does give the piece a kinda...sloppy feel.

I tried the solo on acoustic, but as you can imagine, with so much going on there already, making it stand out was next to impossible. I think I'm gonna take a crack at it with a classical, hopefully it'll sit on top nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I'm afraid that before I could get into other details you'd have to correct a few basics. The guitar isn't in tune and losses timing in one or two places. The singer has a nice quality to their voice and the melody is nice enough but again the timing strays a tad and the pitching is off in a couple of places. The guitar solo sound doesn't sit in the mix at all. It's the wrong choice of sound, too round and clean. I think if you fix those simple things, get a rhythym behind it, work on dynamis and maybe some harmonies and you'd have a decent little number.

frobisher wrote:
    I'm afraid that before I could get into other details you'd have to correct a few basics. The guitar isn't in tune and losses timing in one or two places. The singer has a nice quality to their voice and the melody is nice enough but again the timing strays a tad and the pitching is off in a couple of places. The guitar solo sound doesn't sit in the mix at all. It's the wrong choice of sound, too round and clean. I think if you fix those simple things, get a rhythym behind it, work on dynamis and maybe some harmonies and you'd have a decent little number.

I'd have to respectfully diagree on the issue of tuning, but I'd concede you the rest.

TelePaul wrote:
    I'd have to respectfully diagree on the issue of tuning, but I'd concede you the rest.

In regards to what?

frobisher wrote:
    In regards to what?

I don't think the guitar was out of tune. The rest of the things you said made sense.

• Advertisement

TelePaul wrote:
    I don't think the guitar was out of tune. The rest of the things you said made sense.

I've had a second and third lesson. It just seems that the note that hits the 2 note of each triplet in certain parts is every so slightly out. But it's so close that you might well be right! ;)

Advertisement