Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog advice - hostile reaction

• 01-04-2007 6:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of dogs as I've pointed out here in the past but in the last couple of weeks my brother has taken in a labrador (belonged to a friend of his who is moving abroad for 12 months). The dog is six years old.

The dog sleeps in the back porch and its eating tray is also kept there.
    We have a telephone extension out there that I usually use. I've noticed that when I am on the phone while the dog is eating from his bowl he becomes a little agitated. However if I start moving my feet - which I do if the call is taking a while - the dog becomes quite aggressive. As the phone is against the wall, when I swing my feet they end up a couple of inches away from the dog's bowl. He makes a nasty growl and if I move my feet closer it becomes more pronouced. On one occasion he tried to nip my runner.

My brother says that the dog is acting no differently to any other dog - he says that you should never put your foot towards a dog's mouth while he is eating from his bowl.
    Is he right or does the dog have a more deep-rooted issue with me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Food is a very important and defenceworthy resource to a dog, especially in strange circumstance and against strangers.

In other words ... keep your distance while the dog is eating and yes, this is perfectly normal behaviour.

The dog doesn't know you from Adam, you're encroaching on its space and more importantly on its food, why should it not try to warn you?

Plus he's probably sensed a long time ago that you don't particularly like him ...one more reason not to trust you :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

My brother says that the dog is acting no differently to any other dog - he says that you should never put your foot towards a dog's mouth while he is eating from his bowl.

Correct. That and he has probably noticed that you dont like dogs, so would feel uneasy around you. :)

Has this behaviour been spotted with anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

once he gets to know you this should improve!
    Has it worsened your dislike of dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I have had dogs all my life , love em , and I have never yet seen one that didnt growl if you go near him while hes eating , as a matter of fact , if my dog didnt do this I'd probably take him to the vet as there would most likely be something wrong with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

mathias wrote:
    I have had dogs all my life , love em , and I have never yet seen one that didnt growl if you go near him while hes eating , as a matter of fact , if my dog didnt do this I'd probably take him to the vet as there would most likely be something wrong with him.

Are you saying that YOUR dogs growl at you if you were to say put your hand in their bowl while they were eating?:confused:

Mine wouldn't! But if someone else did....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

**I have had dogs all my life , love em , and I have never yet seen one that didnt growl if you go near him while hes eating , as a matter of fact , if my dog didnt do this I'd probably take him to the vet as there would most likely be something wrong with him**
    For your own dog to growl at you, that is wrong. You are his leader you can take it any time he might not be happy about it but he shouldnt be aggressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My dobies never growl at me no matter what and I have changed their collars and even stirred up their food with my finger when they were actually eating and no problem.

They sometimes growl at each other about food alright which I view as quite normal dog behaviour.:rolleyes:

Advertisement