Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physics

• 01-04-2007 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8 persilhandwash

I'm from Dublin, and wish to go to Maynooth to do Physics. I wanted to do something like Mathematical Physics, Experimental Physics, Maths and Chemistry in first year, Math. Physics, Exp. Physics and Maths in second year, Math. Physics and experimental physics in third year and one or other in fourth year. Alternatively I might do the Astrophysics option in 4th year also. I haven't done LC Physics or Applied Maths and will probably get B3/C1 in Higher Maths for LC too.

Is this unrealistic to do this much math and be successful at the course. Any personal info. from anyone that has done something similar. Also wantto hear opinions on Mathematical Physics and anyother opinion of this.

Thanks.

Comments

I'm from Dublin, and wish to go to Maynooth to do Physics. I wanted to do something like Mathematical Physics, Experimental Physics, Maths and Chemistry in first year, Math. Physics, Exp. Physics and Maths in second year, Math. Physics and experimental physics in third year and one or other in fourth year. Alternatively I might do the Astrophysics option in 4th year also. I haven't done LC Physics or Applied Maths and will probably get B3/C1 in Higher Maths for LC too.

Is this unrealistic to do this much math and be successful at the course. Any personal info. from anyone that has done something similar. Also wantto hear opinions on Mathematical Physics and anyother opinion of this.

Thanks.

I did my mathsphys degree in maynooth. I can't recommend it enough, it's brilliant. I only did exphys in first year so I don't know what it's like after that. I know quite a few people who did/are doing astrophysics and it's not that great. First year mathsphys assumes (IIRC) you haven't done applied maths basically. You don't really need the physics, I got a d3 in LC physics and b3 in maths.
    You won't have a problem with the maths in mathsphys and first and second year maths should be straightforward enough for you since you've done higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm finishing my science degree this year, and did the same in first year as your planning, and it was fine, the maths you'll have no problem with and the other subjects also assume that you haven't done them before, so first year is sort of like leaving cert squashed into one year. The Astrophysics, you have to start out in first year as Astrophysics, I don't think it's easy to change in 4th year from general to astro, as they do different modules from ex phys during first, second and third year. Maths is also compulsary in first year, but since your doing higher level and as bluewolf said, you won't have a problem with it or maths phys. I would highly recommend the course though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

I did Physics, Maths Physics and Maths in first year along with computer science.
    It made the course a lot easier as there was so much crossover between the subjects and I ended up with a very good degree without too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

BW: theres no such thing as a d3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

Yes there is, it's the lowest points in higher level, 5 points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

Astro is a seperate course to General Science, so you would have to do that from 1st year. They do seperate modules and experiments as the course goes on.
    You shouldn't have a problem with the maths, but since you haven't done LC physics you might find Ex. Phys tough going after 1st year.
    If you're willing to work, there shouldn't be much of a probelm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 persilhandwash

bluewolf wrote:
    I did my mathsphys degree in maynooth. I can't recommend it enough, it's brilliant. I only did exphys in first year so I don't know what it's like after that. I know quite a few people who did/are doing astrophysics and it's not that great. First year mathsphys assumes (IIRC) you haven't done applied maths basically. You don't really need the physics, I got a d3 in LC physics and b3 in maths.
    You won't have a problem with the maths in mathsphys and first and second year maths should be straightforward enough for you since you've done higher level.

Why did those people who do the exp. physics or astro.physics think it's not that great?

Why do you recommend the course also ( Just to know why? lol )?

Also, is Mathematical Physics only Applied Mathematics, Is there no theoretical physics modules stuck around the course over the four years? I can't do the whole 3 yr. Theoretical Physics as don't do Physics! I think I would rather have theoretical stuff in the course too, what's it like, I seen the subjects but don't know if they have theoretical stuff and not just 100% applied maths ( like Leaving Cert)???

Also, what's Mathematics and Exp. Physics like after second year? I read on other thread ages ago that some people considered the degree easy? I wouldn't like an easy degree actually quite the opposite because I like academic challenges?

I mentioned above what I will be doing in my first post, how many hours in total per week should I be expecting?

What about Theoretical Physics, repeating my leaving is not an option either. Is Theoretical Physics and MathsPhysics the same or what, my first choice would be theor.phys so is there similarities. I know Trinity have 50% Maths and 50% Physics thorughout most years which is what I'd like, though would prefer 75% Maths and 25% Physics. Anyway, what do ye think? Please answer all the questions as it helps my career choice.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

The Astrophysics course in Maynooth is poorly constructed and not well thought out. Many of the courses, for example the General Relativity course, do not actually teach you the subject.
    I would say avoid it.
    Is Theoretical Physics and MathsPhysics the same or what
    At the undergraduate level there is virtually no difference. They are quite different when you get to postgraduate, but that's not something to worry about for now.
    Physics thorughout most years which is what I'd like, though would prefer 75% Maths and 25% Physics. Anyway, what do ye think?
    Based on that comment either Maynooth's Maths Physics and Maths or UCD/Trinity's Maths courses with physics options.

Could you say a bit more about what you like and what you would like to do?

Son Goku wrote:
    Could you say a bit more about what you like and what you would like to do?

Like to do Physics and Maths, doing math.physics should complement both the maths and exp.physics.

Like to do research afterwards and that as career interests me, at the moment anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Maths physics is horrible! Experimental physics isn't as horrible though. Maths is fine, but maths physics... argh.

• Advertisement

Why do you say this funkychicken......why is it horrible.....just want to know ur experiences with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Like to do Physics and Maths, doing math.physics should complement both the maths and exp.physics.

Like to do research afterwards and that as career interests me, at the moment anyway.
    I'd say either do the three year maths and maths physics course in Maynooth or do theoretical physics in Trinity or UCD.
    That's be my advice based on your interests, goals and experience of the courses.

In Trinity and UCD you're able to take interesting advanced maths courses with your physics. However if you don't like experiments and labs, Maynooth's three year maths and maths physics course doesn't have any and you get a decent taste of both subjects, so you can decide which you like.

Looking at the modules I think Maynooth would be better for somebody who likes Maths and Trinity and UCD would be better for somebody who likes physics.

Would you say you would have to get a B2, or B1 in Leaving Cert honours to be successful at the subjects, as it would be quite advantageous.

And I posted up a load of questions of which some haven't been answered yet....around 6 posts ago....my main questions lie there>

One particular problem is that is Mathematical Physics 100% Applied Mathematics like the Leaving Cert. or are there theoretical modules that you would also have exams on or is it just 100% maths exams....this and all my other questions 6 posts ago, t'would be very good to have them answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Joe_Soap

I did the Maths and Maths Physics double hons degree in Maynooth over a decade ago at this stage. I dropped computers after first year and exp physics after second year. I found some of the 4th year modules in Maths Physics quite difficult. The Maths course was fine, in 4th year you chose 4 modules from 7. The one bad thing I remember is that the 4th year final exams for both subjects were held in the Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Would you say you would have to get a B2, or B1 in Leaving Cert honours to be successful at the subjects, as it would be quite advantageous.

And I posted up a load of questions of which some haven't been answered yet....around 6 posts ago....my main questions lie there>

One particular problem is that is Mathematical Physics 100% Applied Mathematics like the Leaving Cert. or are there theoretical modules that you would also have exams on or is it just 100% maths exams....this and all my other questions 6 posts ago, t'would be very good to have them answered.

If you get about 505 and a b1 in maths, and you like maths applied maths and physics but hate labs, the theoretical physics& Maths is the perfect course, you get a science degree in 3 years and you can drop either maths or maths physics in 2nd or 3rd year....It's what i'm doing.

Though I do regret, not just doing general science so i could sample different subjects, but truth be told i probably would have failed due to labs, attendance and continuos assesment.A lot of first year in general science is boring, easier than the leaving cert.

Maths physic 1st year is like pass applied maths with some interesting theory...second year is pretty much the same except theres new stuff....I'm doing the third year now(my second year though) and it's much more interesting, like special relativity and computational physics but final year looks fairly varied, here's a link...

http://www.thphys.nuim.ie/course-information/courseframe.html

Advertisement