Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking question

Options
  • 01-04-2007 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey lads just a quick one.

I am considering my first overclock.
    I will have a core duo 2.16ghz, so has anyone out there
    overclocked one of these?
    What would be a stable amount to increase it to without needing extra fans in the case or anything drastic!
    Thanks lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Would need to know what motherboard you are using, RAM, power supply and do you have any aftermarket cooler installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

2 x (Kingston 1GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM )

ASRock Conroe XFire ESATA2 S775 Intel 945P
    (Hybrid Booster - Safe Overclocking Technology&Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses)

480W Crap Bundle PSU (Will change this in a few weeks!)

And just an ordinary heatsink that came with the processor!

Thanks for all your expertise lads!

Hey again lads, what I am asking is could I say overclock to 3ghz safely?
    Or would that be too much of a stretch?

Google.

And I wouldn't overclock a 6400? on stock cooling to 3GHz, but it is easy to get it to 3GHz (375x8). I dunno if your crap PSU would be able for it though, and frankly I wouldn't risk it.

First things first, and my theme for the day, buy a better cooler (Tuniq tower, Ultra-120 or an Artic Cooling freezer 7 if you don't wanna spend too much).

Even a small overclock will produce a large amount of heat, and heat is bad. Keep everythin nice and cool, the cooler the better.

Hi, thanks for the reply, assume I went off a bought a cooler (was looking at a fatal1ty one) and a 450/500W of a reputable brand would that be grounds enough to start overclocking?

• Advertisement

Yup,

personally, for what you have, I would get a Seasonic 500W PSU or a tagan easycon 480W.

As for the cooler, don't go for crappy marketing, a zalman fatality is just that. While zalman should be thanked for their pioneering of effective silent coolers, there are now far better coolers available (Arctic 7s, Scythe Ninjas, Tuniq towers and Ultra 120s to name a few).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Agreed, stay away from the fatal1ty branded cooler. If you get a tuniq tower, or ultra 120 you should be able to hit 3ghz as long as your case can provide adequate cooling to the rest of the pc. As at that speed it will be pumping put alot more heat.

Duly noted lads thanks for your input.
    Will get those add-ons in time. :)

Hey guys just found out that dabs.ie accepts debit cards so....
    If I wanted to get into overclocking what PSU, cooler, extra fans(?), from Dabs.ie would you choose? No real budget as want to buy decent equipment but not prepared to pay ridiculous money! Anything else I'm missing? Thanks guys

ok.....
    what about these??

PSU

Cooler

Suggestions?

• Advertisement

If your only buying from that site the cooler you chose is the best there.

But the psu is a poor choice, especially when you can have this psu for 20 dolla more:

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=45GB&CategorySelectedId=11259&NavigationKey=11259&ExposedRefinement=11003

Also, what case will you be using so i can advise you on some fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Anti wrote:
    I have this one. I can say it's excellent and very reliable! Never, ever given me a problem in all it's life of well over a year now. Glad I picked it. Probably the only thing in my PC that I did not regret and feel the need to replace as time went by:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

I'd be sceptical about how much you could overclock that ASRock board.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3779&s=6

Seems to have a max FSB of 300Mhz....so you had better add a new motherboard to that list

Hey lads,
    I read that article on the board not being very flexible in overclocking but according to their screenshot they got their 6400 to 2.4ghz? Not exactly the
    3.0 ghz I had in mind...
    The board is only a week or so old and cost me €130 so don't want to part with it just yet.. is there a way to remove that 300mhz FSB wall through a bios update or some kinda flash?

Hehe would you believe I never saw that PSU! Are Seasonic any good?
    Oh and my case is only a crappy Alien case , probably not the greatest for cooling but you gotta start somewhere eh? There is one fan bay free at the back as an exhaust fan...

Thanks lads.

YEah seasonic are known to be one of the best psu makers around.

As for your case i would use these or one of these If possible change all your fans to either of them to keep it almost silent, and pushing and pulling a decent ammount of air.

Maybe in a few months when funds are there you can change to a case with 12cm fans, as they move alot more air at much lower rotational speeds. Something like this is perfect as it can have 5 12cm fans, And comes as standard with one 20cm fan at the top of the case as standard.

As for breaking the 300mhz fsb wall, im sure there is a way around it. Experiment with different bios revision. Email asrock's tech support, try some extreme overclocking forums. If not you can always buy a new one in a few months. Or since its a week old just return it*

You will need to physicially damage the board for this, and not reccomended/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

You could try just returning it without damaging it, you usually have a 10-14 day cooling off period, you may pay some restocking fee, that's all. If it's with an online retailer just notifiy them and say that you're returning it, or see if you can exchange it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think the cooling off period only applies to unopened packages.

edit: The scythe ninja is a great cooler, but I highly recommend the mod that I carried out (see my thread a few weeks back).

Hey guys I had a quick think bout it all and think I will delay it a few weeks as the whole reason for getting the PSU and cooler was to overclock..
    So I will do more research into my mobo and come to a conclusion.
    Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
    Thanks for your help yet again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Hey guys I had a quick think bout it all and think I will delay it a few weeks as the whole reason for getting the PSU and cooler was to overclock..
    So I will do more research into my mobo and come to a conclusion.
    Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
    Thanks for your help yet again lads.
    King.... I've had Gigabyte S3, DS3, and about to get the new rev 3.3 DS3. They are a good solid board and on air cooling will be well able to push your chip to its limit. On a tuniq you should hit 3.2Ghz at least if the chip is any good. Hurry though they're 109Euro on komplette for this week only!!!! DS3 that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

have allok at the new dfi 965-s.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, I emailed ASRock regarding the FSB problem and i'l copy and paste their reply but to me it looks like they completely avoided the question!

"Dear Sir,
    We are sorry the overclocking ability is different with different hardware configurations.
    We are not able to promise this.
    Thanks for your understanding.
    Yours truly,
    ASRock"

Is this possible?
    I expected more out of them!
    Btw I probably wont change my mobo as this one is in use now and probably do not qualify for a return nor do I want to go through that whole process!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I would personally steer clear of the Ds3. I had 3 of them, and they were all terrible.

Gigabyte are having aweful issues with their BIOS.

I recently picked up an Abit Quad GT, and its brilliant.

My system:
    E6400 @3.4Ghz
    Team Xtreem DDR2-800 @ddr2-850 D9GMH
    X1800XT 512 @ 700/1600
    Abit Quad GT
    Zalman 9500

Board is solid as a rock, and OC's so easily its not even funny. Can be had for around €185 from komplett.ie

Advertisement