Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on a (used) car

Options
  • 01-04-2007 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

hello :),

As the title says, I'm weighing up my options regarding a used car (my second) - I probably won't be buying for a good while yet but never too early to start.
    The type of car I want
    Anyway, I was hoping for some advice, what I'm currently wanting is a '02-'04Tip-tronic VW Passat 1.8T. I won't be lugging around kids or anything but the idea being that I can cruise comfortably along dual carriageways, through the city etc. without having to change gears and then when I need extra control over the gears/want to overtake, I can select a lower gear or use the turbo.

Now, for the finer pts. - I'm aware the timing belt on these has to be changed at 60k. are servicing costs generally ok on these or is there anything I should be aware of?

The other thing, of course, is the insurance factor - as far as Im aware, these cars vary between 150-170 hp (open to correction :)) I suppose I chose this type of car as I'm not a boy-racer but just want something capable, comfortable and not underpowered. Would this car still be as difficult to insure as its sister-engined golf GTI, even though it's a large family/exec car? I like driving but I don't consider the way to work as the Irish WRC/F1 :D
    I'm 22 and have full licence as well as nearly 3 yrs NCB if that's any help.

Alternatives??
    Of course if anybody has any alternatives, I'd love to hear them, max budget would prob be around 15k, oldest Id be willing to go would be an '02. I would preferably be looking at a petrol tiptronic although wouldn't pass up a full blown automatic if car was nice enough. basically I want a car that looks well, is comfortable and quiet but has some underlying power when it's required, 1.8-2.0 litre.
    arent I demanding ?:D
    Cheers and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Mazda 6 2.0 TD, higher end ones are 130 bhp, rockets. See below for a good one from buy and sell .ie Japanese built, excellent reliability, and handling would be much better than a Passat. I've driven both, I admit the VW is a little faster with the really high end TDi, but the 6 has much better handling and better looks IMHO. Autos are available too if you keep a look out!

Mazda 6 1.8L petrol 2003, Munster Limerick €13000.00
    42k mls, 5 dr, h/b, manual, NCT 02/09, met, blue, ABS, a/c, a/b, CD, c/l, colour coded, e/m, e/w, fsh, f/s, hands free kit, immob, p/s, new tyres,1 owner 086-XXXXXXX [save ad]

VW reliability has been downgraded a lot in previous years (JD Power surveys etc) and the turbos in the TDis can be troublesome, as well as the usual VW faults like electrics and engine longevity with the newer models. (ask any taxi driver, they all know a few who've suffered bad TDis)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a few 1.8Ts on fleet. Better than a TDI from a reliability point of view. Comfortable ride too. I've had an odd one suffer the usual oil cooler problem that haunts so many VWs. Had I not got a company car, I'd probably consider one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

THIS could be a very comfy alternative. A very nice place to be in for cruising (even to be stuck in traffic jams in). You get leather and all for Passat money, 30 - 35 mpg and as it is billed as "ecoturbo" (150 bhp) insurance shouldn't be too bad. still has a nice bit of overtaking power, right where it matters.
    Don't think the autobox is tiptronic, though and depreciation will be quite heavy.
    If you really wanted one, you might consider a 00 -01 for almost half the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Timing Belt change is expensive on that model Passat as the engine is mounted lehgth ways. This makes it harder to get at the timing belt. VW dealers have been known to charge anything up to €1k to change the belt, an indepentant mechanic will probably charge about half that.

Here is a low mileage example:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=547136

Alternatives:
    Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Auto:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=542307

Rover 75 2.0 Auto:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=625154

Advertisement