Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer Wrecking My Head!

Options
  • 01-04-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All.

After tackling the grass last week, today I decided to get out the strimmer and tidy things a wee bit. I usually use the strimmer to for trimming the edges of the lawn where grass meets concrete, just give the whole lawn a neat look.

The problem is, every time the strimmer even sees the concrete the ribbon snaps. I've a petrol strimmer and I'm using heavy duty 3.5mm ribbon. Last year I had a different ribbon - it was 3.5mm but was much stronger and lasted ages. The current stuff breaks at least 10 times more often than the previous one.

Can anyone recommend a good ribbon that is durable? I cannot keep stopping every few minutes. I've about 300m of edging to do so I need something that will last the pace. TBH, 3.5mm is probably the largest I can use and I reckon 3.0mm would be better.

Someone offer me some advice, please! (Before I launch the strimmer over the hedge).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

If you're using it to trim the edges, you might be better off with a thinner cord. I found it to be more flexible and less inclined to break.
    The heavy cord was also inclined to pull the strimmer head apart when I hit something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You could have a point there. I find the larger the diameter the less inclined it is to autofeed - which makes the whole process a real pain in the a$$.

Advertisement