Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox versus Cat?

Options
  • 01-04-2007 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

I heard some commotion outside my apartment a few minutes ago, and it turned out to be a fox barking at my cat, just a few feet away. The cat seemed nonplussed, though normally she seems to take a bit of a kicking from the neighborhood cats. I saw the fleeing (large) fox first, and was very worried for the cat. Then I saw her on the windowsill, serene as a feline Buddah. I took her in anyway.

So anyway, are foxes a source of danger to cats?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

they could be, but a fox is really looking for food, not for a fight. It wouldn't make any sense for them to go after a full size cat that is going to fight back and possibly get hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Yeah, I guess it doesn't make much sense to get involved with a vicious cat but I guess you couldn't be complacent either. I remember my dog killing the odd cat when I was growing up. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Foxes wouldnt be able to kill a cat unless it was already very hurt and cant get away cause foxes are easily scared

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

We had a cat a few years ago that was a great hunter and a real feisty little thing, full of personality. She had her stomach torn open by either a dog or a fox, my parents get a lot of foxes in the garden but there are also a couple of terriers a few doors down (whom she would have been well used to getting away from) but its hard to tell exactly what did it. Poor thing went into our dogs bed in the garage and my dad found her there purring, took her to vet, he wouldnt be a big cat fan and on the way he said hed pay 50 quid to get her fixed any more and shed have to be put down, by the time we got there this had gone up to 500 quid!!! unfortunately she had to be put down anyway. Theres nothing you can do to protect them though from dogs foxes or cars you just need to hope they are in a position to get away. Your cat prob wasnt bothered bec the fox wasnt near enough to her, had he cornered her shed make a fuss alright!

I think your wrong Badgers go for the stomach and could easily slice a cat Could it have been a badger and foxes and dogs wud just bite chunks out of the cat

• Advertisement

During the summer months, I sometimes camp out on the beach in West Cork with my girlfriend, and this fox always comes begging for chicken and waffles etc. I'm always struck by how gentle and mannerly it seems, waiting patiently, eating gingerly, coming close-but-not-too-close. I really like foxes but I guess they're dogs of sorts, so you gotta watch out for your cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

Yeah could have been a badger alright as there are some around, hadnt thought of that one! Bast*rd badgers!!!!!:)

I thought badgers just ate slugs and the like? The only badgers I've ever seen are very flat ones on roads.

i no used to hav one down the back used to rob my cats food :mad: :mad:

rediguana wrote:
    I thought badgers just ate slugs and the like? The only badgers I've ever seen are very flat ones on roads.

Badgers dont eat meat they just attack everthing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

A fox would go for quite a small cat or injured one.

Advertisement