Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint melting/Wrinkling???

Options
  • 01-04-2007 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Rite, so about 5 months ago i got my bumper resprayed cos part of the paint pealed of so decided to get it sorted.

It was done by a mate, who works at body panel and respraying. Notice yesterday that part of the paint looks like its melting and shriveling up.

59635_paint2_122_544lo.jpg

Is there any way i can fix this myself, or would i be better going to a proper respray place to get it touched up. due to the 'wrinkles' its lost the smooth paint finish, so it would have to be sanded i think.

Any suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sounds like he didn't bake the car before he gave it back. This solidifies and dries the paint in low humidity. Maybe ask a few other repair guys for advice, most of them are fairly well up on spray jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Click on pic to see the prob

th_60518_paint2_122_398lo.jpg

Ill ring a place near my that ive had work done before on my previous car, there good but a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Well, they can look at it without charging you. It would be nice to know what it is before you shell out any more cash! Hope it works out OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Looks consistent with strain - is it possible the bumper tapped something that caused it to distort and then reform? A bad paint job won't usually show in that sort of 'crop circle' fashion. I'm by no means a bodywork expert but that's what it looks like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

crosstownk wrote:
    Looks consistent with strain - is it possible the bumper tapped something that caused it to distort and then reform? A bad paint job won't usually show in that sort of 'crop circle' fashion. I'm by no means a bodywork expert but that's what it looks like to me.
    I'm no bodywork expert either, but it looks that way to me too.

• Advertisement

yea the bumper was tapped by a women in a clio rollin her car back on a hill start into the bumper. it was a light tap but when i hosed the car few weeks ago the paint flaked off, a size about my fist.

Got the bumper resprayed and that was a few months ago. Then noticed this last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

yes you answerd your own question there ted, strees that what did it, just sand primer and paint again, oh i am a bodywork expert:p

-VB-

Volvoboy wrote:
    oh i am a bodywork expert:p

Would you have any idea how much this would cost, can that patch be done or will the whole section need to be finished

€250 from a back alley garage, €500+ from a big garage, the part will have to be sanded and primed again, bit of filling above the reg plate it looks like, the whole bumper will have to be scoched and laqured.

-VB-

i want to sell the motor in a month or two. Guess ill look for a back ally garage ;)

If i left this the way it is now, would the paint get worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As water gets under the paint it will do more damage although this is less likely as the the weather is getting better and the chances of frost are greatly reduced. An roll-over wash will slowly eek away the loose paint and a HP wash will help strip some paint too.

I've seen worse, tbh. If the buyer is fussy then he may walk away, but others may not be too pushed - especially if the price is right.

No just be careful if you use power washers not to blast directley into the mark or ya know go banging into walls, just use common sense tbh.

-VB-

so i guess it would be better fix sooner rather than later.

Advertisement