Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

respray cost?

Options
  • 01-04-2007 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey just looking at buying a 2nd hand 3 series but the bonnet and front bumper has some discolouration in the paint, the guy says a bird s'hit on it and the owner didn't get it washed and the acid got into the paint and caused these blemishes, very strange.

anyway is there anything i could use to touch up these spots? or is it a matter of a respray?

As for the respray, how much is that gonna cost for the bonnet and bumper?

Know a good place to get this done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I know a guy in Ashbourne (Barry Ward) that I'd recommend if that's anywhere handy for you ? Have the details on my desk in work. Tends to charge EUR250 per panel for respray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Hi, I sanded down my old 626 myself, got it resprayed all over, cost around 100 for the labour, paint costs 150ish. If you can sand it down yourself and put the masking tape on, you'd save a fortune. It does take a few hours, but may be worth your time. Any auto-factors would help you with the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kings mistake

nah, i'm a bit useless like that, i'd have to get someone to do it for me. I just need a rough figure of how much this is gonna cost so I can haggle the guy down to factor in the cost. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about so i don't want to bluff and say it's gonna cost a grand if it's not. Do you reckon 500 should cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I cant believe how expensive it is

Cling film, sellotape, and LOADS of spraypaint from Woodies for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hey just looking at buying a 2nd hand 3 series but the bonnet and front bumper has some discolouration in the paint, the guy says a bird s'hit on it and the owner didn't get it washed and the acid got into the paint and caused these blemishes, very strange.

That guy is feeding you a bull**** story imo.

Save yourself the hassel of forking out on a respray and forget that car, there are plenty of 3 Series out there for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kings mistake

why do u say that? why would i forget it? even if it does cost 500 to get it sprayed, it's not the end of the world. it's absolutely mint apart from this issue. it's not even that noticeable, i just wanted to factor it into how much the car's gonna cost me. if i was to run from a car any time it had a bit of a problem i don't think i'd ever buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

why do u say that? why would i forget it? even if it does cost 500 to get it sprayed, it's not the end of the world. it's absolutely mint apart from this issue. it's not even that noticeable, i just wanted to factor it into how much the car's gonna cost me. if i was to run from a car any time it had a bit of a problem i don't think i'd ever buy one.

Hey man it's your money.

My point is there are plenty of good 3 Series out there so why settle for one that needs this sort of attention straight away after buying it? My opinion would be that if the previous owner didn't look after the bodywork ie. even clean a bit of bird **** off, then what else may they not have looked after?

Again this only my opinion, it's your money so spend it how you please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd agree with bazz26 - walk away. Plenty of other 3 series out there, they're as common as Corollas these days.

IME discolouration due to birdsh1t is pretty easy to put right with some polishing/t-cutting. You can be sure that the seller knows this and has tried it already, the fact that the blemishes are still there may mean they're not be due to birdsh1t at all. Car could have been crashed and badly sprayed. Who knows.

Advertisement