Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you recognise this place from the description?

Options
  • 01-04-2007 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Years ago when I was living in Maynooth, a friend and I visited this place. I'd love to visit it again but I forget the name, the area, even the direction it was from Maynooth and I can't get in touch with my friend!
    If anyone recognises this discription, please let me know where it is or what it's called!:o

I think it might have been north or north east of Maynooth, maybe in Meath and it was no more than an hour's drive away.
    It was a small village, just a few houses and shops along a country road but the interesting thing about it was that it had about three or four ruined churches and a ruined abbey dotted along both sides of the road at one end of the town. They all seemed to be of varying states of ruin.
    The abbey was in off the road, over a stile I think, with a small tree by a well at the beginning of the path by the road. The tree was covered in bits of ribbon tied to the branches, like a wishing tree. There was a little coffee shop in the town, run by a local woman and it could have doubled up as the local post office too!

If anyone has any ideas about where this place is, please let me know. It was a gorgeous place to visit and I'd really recommend it. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭tracy1002

I think you maybe talking about Duleek, Co. Meath. Here is a link to its hertitage site...does any of it seem familiar
    http://www.meath.ie/Tourism/Heritage/HeritageTrails/DuleekHeritageTrail/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 martipants

Thanks a million! That sounds like the place alright. I'd recommend this place to anyone if you're out that direction and you like heritage sites. I'm going to head out there soon to rediscover it all over again!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

hi came across this thread by accident but i think its Fore your talking about .about 4 miles from oldcastle a lovely place and about 6 from delvin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I thought it was Fore too....by the description it really sounds like it. Beautiful little place.

Advertisement