Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Turnbull awarded case costs"

Options
  • 02-04-2007 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

As I didn't see this reported anywhere else, you may not have seen this (from this week's Athletics Weekly):

"Belfast athlete, Gareth Turnbull has been awarded 100,000 pounds from the Irish Sports Council (ISC) to reimburse what the middle distance runner spent in clearing his name from a doping charge.

In an out-of-competition test last year the former European junior 1500m bronze medallist showed elevated levels of testosterone and was facing a two year ban. But Turnbull was able to prove that the adverse finding was induced by alcohol after a night out drinking with friends at the end of his annual two week holiday.

The ISC cleared him of all charges in October last year and last week they agreed to pay Turnbull's legal fees. They also added that they would "review its rules regarding costs for athletes who successfully resist an assertion of doping"

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

about time...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The BBC news website had it on their athletics section a week or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

And it made the frontpage of letsrun. I'm glad to see it's getting some publicity, he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

"review its rules regarding costs for athletes who successfully resist an assertion of doping": What do they mean here? That they will reserve some right to not pay athletes who clear their names? I hope to f*ck not!

Advertisement