Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on holiday, dog worries

Options
  • 02-04-2007 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Need to get some advice. Going abroad in August for 2 weeks. Have a lovely gentle female Pointer (3 years old in July) that obviously can't come with us. Have had a really bad experience with a kennel when we last went away 2 years ago. Had to bring dog to the vet when we came back-she was in a bad state. Are there any alternatives to the kennels we experienced? I know that the dog will miss us and pine. Just want to minimise any other factors and remove any neglect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

you could try find a dog sitter in your area, most come feed and walk your dog while youre at work or away, some even take in your post water plants etc - ive never used one just heard of them so cant recommend - or you could see if friends/family could mind her - my friends mind their neighbours dog when theyre away and vice versa - do you know of anyone this would work with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

what area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you're anywhere near-ish the Northwest ...I know a really good kennel there, that we have used ourselves a few times.
    The dogs were absolutelely happy there and at least as well looked after as at home, if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Need to get some advice. Going abroad in August for 2 weeks. Have a lovely gentle female Pointer (3 years old in July) that obviously can't come with us. Have had a really bad experience with a kennel when we last went away 2 years ago. Had to bring dog to the vet when we came back-she was in a bad state. Are there any alternatives to the kennels we experienced? I know that the dog will miss us and pine. Just want to minimise any other factors and remove any neglect.

What state was she in?
    Did you give her the kennel cough shot before you boarded her?
    Any decent kennels should insist on that!

My GSD always acted a bit funny when we came back from holidays but it only lasted for a couple of hours!

Peasant. Where/What is the kennels you are referring to? I might consider them next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Or check out www.irishanimals.ie for other pet sitting co.s in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Gillie wrote:
    Peasant. Where/What is the kennels you are referring to? I might consider them next time.

northwest boarding kennels

Just off the N4, near Ballymote ...they're in the phone book
    (book ahead in time, as they're usually very busy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Fircroft kennels in Kildare (I think) are fantastic. We have a rescue dog who has a lot of baggage but she gets on grand when she goes there, she always runs in the gate! Pet sitter or a family friend or neighbour would be the best option tho if she's the way she is, but I've found Fircroft to be really good. If you do decide to send her to stay in kennels or with somebody else, be sure to send her bed and bedding and her food with her as well as any toys that she has; this will help relieve some of the anxiety of a new environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Marty DiBergi

Thanks for all the inputs. I think I will go for the family /friend option to mind the dog in the house if I can. It will mean somebody coming up to the city but she will still be in her own environment.

Schlemm-Thanks for the name. Will give them a buzz tomorrow.Good to have a decent backup.I am near enough Dublin City centre but i wouldn't mind driving the dog anywhere as long as she gets good treatment.

anniehoo-thanks for the input. Will PM if I have no joy family / friends.

Gillie-The dog had all her shots (including kennel cough) before we dropped her to the kennels. Brought the card etc. The woman in charge wasn't that bothered. I think I may have volunteered the card for inspection. This was our first experience of kenneling and the place had come recommended. Anyway came back 2 weeks later to find the dog had not been walked at all. This is probably the norm but I should have explicitly asked the question. The dog had lost 2-3 kgs in weight and her hair was falling out.She had been lying in urine I think.Her front paw nails were worn back to almost bleeding. This was probably from scraping at the concrete in her cage.The woman in charge had said not to bring the dog's bedding or toys. I still feel so bad at leaving her in the place. I realise that some dogs adapt better than others but I should have went with my initial gut reaction that the place was more interested in money than care.I was so shocked I just paid the cash and couldn't wait to get out of the place. The dog dragged me from the place with all the strength she had left.She virtually drove home. Brought her to the vet to have her checked over. She was dehydrated and upset. After a week of serious TLC she was back to her best.

Gillie-The dog had all her shots (including kennel cough) before we dropped her to the kennels. Brought the card etc. The woman in charge wasn't that bothered. I think I may have volunteered the card for inspection. This was our first experience of kenneling and the place had come recommended. Anyway came back 2 weeks later to find the dog had not been walked at all. This is probably the norm but I should have explicitly asked the question. The dog had lost 2-3 kgs in weight and her hair was falling out.She had been lying in urine I think.Her front paw nails were worn back to almost bleeding. This was probably from scraping at the concrete in her cage.The woman in charge had said not to bring the dog's bedding or toys. I still feel so bad at leaving her in the place. I realise that some dogs adapt better than others but I should have went with my initial gut reaction that the place was more interested in money than care.I was so shocked I just paid the cash and couldn't wait to get out of the place. The dog dragged me from the place with all the strength she had left.She virtually drove home. Brought her to the vet to have her checked over. She was dehydrated and upset. After a week of serious TLC she was back to her best.

OMFG!:eek:
    That's disgracful!
    They should be named and shamed! But I don't know if that's allowed here!

The place I bring mine is "out the country" and there are "runs" set up for the different size dogs. Basically they have a couple of acres fenced off in different sizes. The dogs were not "walked" but they still got plenty of exercise.

My GSD can be fairly emotional and I think he was a bit píssed at me the first couple of times but after that he was fine.

Seriously though. The place you've described sounds disgracful!
    What the hell were you paying for if the dogs were not walked/cared for!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

I have recently started up a "home from home" kennels in the wicklow/wexford area. It was due to the fact that we had had problems with our own dogs & bad experiences with kennels that we decided to start taking other peoples pets in to our own home (& huge garden). So far, we have had a huge response mainly from family, friends & by word of mouth & everyone seems to be pleased at the treatment that their animals are getting. We had a situation recently where we had a boxer for 5 weeks who didn't want to get into her owners car when they came to get her....the best compliment for me & the b/f.

I think its disgusting the way some animals are treated when they go to kennels. Any kennelled dogs that we get live with our own 3 and get treated the same way & Our 3 (a rottweiler, a german pointer & a westie) love having the company of new friends nearly every week! Plus its an excuse for me to walk them all every evening after work because I know that I'm getting paid for it!!!

Best of luck! Hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've had two bad experiences with kennels. After warning one that my dog was sensitive to the cold, the man dismissed that saying his greyhounds used to live out when he was growing up... how I didnt see that as a warning, I dont know. My dog came back with a kidney infection and absolutely miserable after 4 days away. The other kennels returned him absolutely infested with fleas!
    I try keep them at home now, and have friends look after them.

Fircroft will also collect your dog for you and drop them back!

Schlemm wrote:
    Fircroft will also collect your dog for you and drop them back!

Couldn't do that TBH.
    I much rather tuck them into their kennels before I leave even though it breaks my heart!

Also tell them about what's happened to your dog, she might be a bit nervous if she's had a bad experience and it's important that the staff are aware of this. Don't forget about sending her bed and food with her!

Advertisement