Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shin Splints

• 02-04-2007 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

I have recently gotten back to running. i had a ncie long break since Christmas but as the weather has picked up, i've gotten back into it. I run on roads most of the time, and I'm worried about developing shin splints. I'm only running 2-4 miles every second day, and I'd consider myself to be fit enough.

The thing is, sometimes I find going up or down the stairs the day after I've been running brings a pain to my shins. Is this normal? Or are there ways to prevent it? I'm wearing decent running shoes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Hi Telepaul,

To reducing the risk of shinsplints there are a number of things you can do:
    1. Increase your mileage very slowly. Running 2-4 miles every other day is reasonable, but before you either increase the frequency or duration, ensure that you have been at this stage for a few weeks. Build up very slowly over a number of weeks / months. Shinsplints is primarily an overuse injury.
    2. Stretch. It is vital that you have a very thorough stretching routine for you whole body, but you can focus on you lower legs. Calves, peronials etc all need to be stretched after every run.
    3. Ice. Ice is traditionally used for acute problems, but from my experience, it is beneficial for the kind of symptoms you are seeing. Get a big bucket or bin and soak both legs up to just below the knee for 20mins if they feel sore or fatiqued
    4. Good shoes. You seem to have this one covered, but a good shoe is essential. Get your gait analysed, and get a shoe to fit your foot type. The most expensive is not necessarily the best for you.
    5. Try vary your running surface and run as much as possible on grass or trails. Not really possible during the winter, but with the long evenings it is easier.
    6. Introduce some cross training into your routine. Go for low impact like swimming or cycling.
    7. Dont underestimate the benefits of a good deep sports massage. Sometimes prevention is better then cure, and with shinsplints it is certainly the case.

Good Luck
    Domer

Advertisement